Will Kalish ever overcome injuries?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Will Kalish ever overcome injuries?

I have to wonder if Kalish could end up being another JD at some point.  He is a very good defender but we really still don't know if he can handle ML pitching because he can't stay healthy.  I'm not convinced Ryan isn't the next to be packaged while hes still young.

Theo may have been high on guys like Salty, Kelly, Iggy, Weiland, Tazawa, Doubront, Reddick and Kalish but I'm keeping my eye on guys like Lavarnway and Bryce Brentz to make the biggest impacts.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bbenton87. Show bbenton87's posts

Re: Will Kalish ever overcome injuries?

Injuries can often be prevented but for some reason the sox can't seem to find a medical staff that can efficiently do this whether it be the majors or down on the farm.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

He plays the game hard, like Youk. Eventually, injuries rears its ulgy head. He is a southpaw, so there some concern with the shoulder surgery.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In Response to Re: Will Kalish ever overcome injuries?:
    In Response to Will Kalish ever overcome injuries? : but we really still don't know if he can handle ML pitching because he can't stay healthy with all due respect my friend the kid is only 23 yrs old not sure what we really know about any 23 yr old
    Posted by pinstripezac

True zac, and even with Sweeney on board and a bigger need for a RHH OF.  I guess we still have time to wait.  However, injuries early on and frequent in a young career is never really a good sign.  Even if Ryan does make it, I'm not sure his body will hold up as hard as he plays the game. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

My crystal ball says he'll play 152 games in 2014 Cool

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Skadude22. Show Skadude22's posts

JD Drew's injury situation is not the same at all.  JD Drew, from what I understand, needed to be 100% to play.  Kalish had a partially torn labrum, that's not a tight hamstring, or a sore elbow, it's a major injury. 

Did you think the same thing about Ellsbury when he was run into by Beltre two years ago?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

The thing that bothers me with Kalish is that he got hurt early last year, but waited until November to have the surgery. Don't know if that was his decision or the Sox' medical staff. Previously , he did not seem like an injury prone player.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Put him on the shelf with the rest of the Hummel's

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Will Kalish ever overcome injuries?:
    I have to wonder if Kalish could end up being another JD at some point.  He is a very good defender but we really still don't know if he can handle ML pitching because he can't stay healthy.  I'm not convinced Ryan isn't the next to be packaged while hes still young. Theo may have been high on guys like Salty, Kelly, Iggy, Weiland, Tazawa, Doubront, Reddick and Kalish but I'm keeping my eye on guys like Lavarnway and Bryce Brentz to make the biggest impacts.
    Posted by craze4sox

The Red Sox would be thrilled to get from Ryan Kalish the 45.9 WAR* J.D. Drew has posted in his career.

* Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drewj.01.shtml

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from UticaClub. Show UticaClub's posts

Do we get an update on the Mariners at 11 pm? How strange that a Mariners fan is obsessed with the Red Sox 24 / 7. Babe finally realized that there is more to life than being in a another team's forum all day long. Good for Babe.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think it's still to early to tell.  It's not as if he is being paid 20 million and is injured contributing nothing from the bench.  Still it would have been nice to see him play in 2011 and be ready to contribute in 2012.  RF is definitely our weak spot.  Granted our offense is so potent that we can get away with just having a serviceable outfielder who can play good D.  And sweeney is actually a pretty decent hitter (just no power) if Dmac can platoon well and hit Lefties we should actually be able to get more production out of RF this year.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The big question:

Will softy now bash Kalish like he did Jed and Jake over their injuries?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

I always wondered if the Sox traded Ellis Burks because he could not say healthy (I suppose I could read up on that).... Burks went on to have a good career, though never entirely healthy he would have remained a positive asset in the Fenway outfield had the brass used their brains.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Ah no trade, left as a free agent. At least he came back to retire here with the team even giving him a ring in 2004 though he did not contribute.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

In Response to Will Kalish ever overcome injuries? : The Red Sox would be thrilled to get from Ryan Kalish the 45.9 WAR* J.D. Drew has posted in his career. * Wins Above Replacement as reported at Baseball Reference: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/d/drewj.01.shtml
    Posted by hill55

Thanks for the positive JD Drew post. So rare around here. He really takes a beating even though he was truly great in RF. People are so hung up on contracts that the players, themselves, don't negotiate.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

The big question: Will softy now bash Kalish like he did Jed and Jake over their injuries?
    Posted by moonslav59

moon, there will always be a guy to bash but all it takes as we all know is a whimpy, powerless "poor defender" like Jacoby to change ones mind :)  I'm just hoping our starting lineup can stay healthy next season.  Having a healthy lineup gives us one of, if not the best in baseball.

It's all about staying healthy and more pitching depth.

Sections
Shortcuts