Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox0426. Show redsox0426's posts

Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects

As of 7/22, Will Middlebrooks is considered to be the top prospect in the Red Sox organization. Looks like the Sox will have a solid replacement for Youk at 3B if Youk decides to go elsewhere or becomes the DH after the 2013 season.

The top 5 (with Reddick no longer being considered a prospect) is:
    1. Will Middlebrooks
    2. Ryan Kalish
    3. Anthony Ranaudo
    4. Jose Iglesias
    5. Ryan Lavarnway

Bryce Brentz (an OF for Salem ranked 6th in the organization), Alex Wilson (an SP for Portland ranked 10th), Xander Bogarets (an 18 year old SS playing for Greenville ranked 12th), Miles Head (a 1B for Salem ranked 13th), and Brandon Jacobs (a talented, athletic OF for Greenville ranked 14th) have moved up the ranks in the organization quickly this year. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects

Lavarnway up to 5 from 11, Brentz up to 6th from 23rd, Wilson from 26 to 10th, and Weiland from 18 to 7th are other top ten big movers.

Bagaerts 24 to 12
    M. Head  NR to 13
    Jacobs   33 to 14th
    Hasssan 31 to 17th
    Chiang NR to 18th 

The biggest "fallers"
    Exposito 21 to 39
    Pimental 5 to 21
    Britton 4 to 19
    Anderson 9 to 24
    Workman 14 to 26
    Vitek  10 to 20
    Rice 30 to 40
    Tazawa 20 to 29
    Lin 17 to 23
    Hazelbaker 22 to 27
    Iglesias 4 to 2

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mt200. Show Mt200's posts

Chiang was a IF, need to play quality  OF defense first before he could move up the ladder.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Soxprospects has had a great record in projecting prospect worth and value.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Do not forget that Lars Anderson was once out top rated prospect and #2 a year ago and now he is #24.....so I will temper my excitement until I see then at the ML level.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Nice to see them get in line with the recent mid-season prospect rankings on Will.  I'm sitll not sure why they have Kalish listed at #2 when he no longer qualifies as a prospect due to his AB's last year.

Keith Law has Brentz as our #2 prospect FWIW.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from fireballer58. Show fireballer58's posts

anyone know how long until kalish is back? id love to have him in right next year unless red dick is serious

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Middlebrooks has a baseball name...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Sounds about right...

The Red Sox don't really have any blue-chip prospects at this point. Middlebrooks is still a couple steps away from the majors (looks good, but not a sure thing), Kalish' health is uncertain, and Ranaudo is in his first year as a pro.

I like what we're seeing from all the top ten, but would be surprised if any of them were ranked top-twenty in MLB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects:
    [QUOTE]Sounds about right... The Red Sox don't really have any blue-chip prospects at this point. Middlebrooks is still a couple steps away from the majors (looks good, but not a sure thing), Kalish' health is uncertain, and Ranaudo is in his first year as a pro. I like what we're seeing from all the top ten, but would be surprised if any of them were ranked top-twenty in MLB.
    Posted by thirtysomething[/QUOTE]

Middlebrooks is ranked #42 in MLB and Brentz is around #51 (first honorable mention).

Analysis: He still has to work on recognizing off-speed pitches and working the count. Otherwise, he should be a plus defender at third who hits 25-plus homers.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

Thanks, JB. That sounds about right for Middlebrooks and Brentz. I don't get too excited about ratings in that range, however. Much debate about relative rankings for the #40-#100, much uncertainty, and not a whole lot to differentiate them.

When a prospect is counted among the top 20, my ears perk up. :)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Our farm system is deep in "faraway" prospects, but short on "readymade" kids. The good thing is that the 4 high need areas (RF, SS, and C) have several players to choose from that are close to or already major league ready:

RF: Reddick, Kalish, Brentz, Lin, Chaing, and Hassan
    SS: Navarro, Wilson, & Iglesias
    C: Lavarnway, Exposito and Federowicz
    P: Weiland, Doubront, Tazawa, Bowden

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects:
    [QUOTE]Thanks, JB. That sounds about right for Middlebrooks and Brentz. I don't get too excited about ratings in that range, however. Much debate about relative rankings for the #40-#100, much uncertainty, and not a whole lot to differentiate them. When a prospect is counted among the top 20, my ears perk up. :)

np 30.  I agree with you that 40-100 for the most part could go either way, but if Middlebrooks continues to improve against off-speed pitches (which is much more likely to happen in the upper levels of the minors), the analysis seems to indicate that he would be moved up significantly as that's his only present weakness.

In addition to being excited when a prospect is in the top 25, I also get excited for prospects below AA in the top 100, simply because these rankings seem to heavily weigh how MLB ready they are (because less projection is necessary).  Therefore, I'm very excited about Brentz as well.  I assume Lavarnway will be in the top 100 after the season he's had.

Another interesting note from the article, Montero has fallen from #4 to #21, though the Yankees still have 3 players total in the top 50.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"Another interesting note from the article, Montero has fallen from #4 to #21, though the Yankees still have 3 players total in the top 50."

He probably never deserved to be as high as #4, but after what he did in 2010, who can blame them?

His youth and his bat ought to ensure that he remains a top prospect.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]He probably never deserved to be as high as #4, but after what he did in 2010, who can blame them? His youth and his bat ought to ensure that he remains a top prospect.

That's fair.  I know Lavarnway is 2 years older, but why doesn't he get any love in these lists?  He's had better results at the plate as has been better at throwing runners out and has a better range factor and has allow far fewer past balls behind the plate (5 last year compared to 15 for Montero).  Lavarnway also hasn't been catching as long (despite being older), so I would think he has higher defensive upside as he continues learning the position.

Another interesting note, Lavarnway's AAA slugging % is just .002 below Montero's OPS this year

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

"SS: Navarro, Wilson, & Iglesias"

Moon, who is Wilson??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from sundvl20. Show sundvl20's posts

If Lavarnway is such a great young hitter, but supposedly a horrible catcher, why dont they try him at a corner outfield or 1b?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from thirtysomething. Show thirtysomething's posts

"I know Lavarnway is 2 years older, but why doesn't he get any love in these lists?"

Just my perception, but the major revisions to these lists seem to happen in the off-season. Perhaps the prospect hounds are too busy during the season digesting the reports as they come in?

Before his promotion to Pawtucket, Lavarnway showed some promise, but nothing that would open eyes...

"Moon, who is Wilson??"

Only "Wilson" I know in the Sox system is Alex Wilson. And he's a AA starting pitcher, not a shortstop.

"why dont they try him at a corner outfield or 1b?"

I don't think the Sox have given up on him at catcher. Lavarnway doesn't seem to have the speed to play the outfield, and 1b isn't going to get him any farther than DH in the Red Sox system. So he might as well work on his catching for now.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]"I know Lavarnway is 2 years older, but why doesn't he get any love in these lists?" Just my perception, but the major revisions to these lists seem to happen in the off-season. Perhaps the prospect hounds are too busy during the season digesting the reports as they come in? Before his promotion to Pawtucket, Lavarnway showed some promise, but nothing that would open eyes... " Moon, who is Wilson??" Only "Wilson" I know in the Sox system is Alex Wilson. And he's a AA starting pitcher, not a shortstop. "why dont they try him at a corner outfield or 1b?" I don't think the Sox have given up on him at catcher. Lavarnway doesn't seem to have the speed to play the outfield, and 1b isn't going to get him any farther than DH in the Red Sox system. So he might as well work on his catching for now.

Yes, I meant to put Alex Wilson in with the pitchers. He's 24, but probably doesn't belong on the pitchers "ready or near ready" list either. My bad.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

[QUOTE]If Lavarnway is such a great young hitter, but supposedly a horrible catcher, why dont they try him at a corner outfield or 1b?
    Posted by feelec[/QUOTE]

Lavarnway started catching his sophomore year at Yale..He's improved a lot since then..Still needs some refining, but far from horrible. Good accurate arm and his game-calling has improved too(Ive seen him play live)..hes only 23 and most catchers don't develop til around 24-25, like Tek did..Good thing is the Sox don't have to rush him to MLB and not impede on his development.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

2 years ago we needed a 3B big time to replace Lowell.........Maybe in 2 more years we'll need a contingency plan to replace Youk, maybe........It seems to be more of a luxury now but it can't hurt.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Middlebrooks- now #1 Prospect according to SoxProspects : Lavarnway started catching his sophomore year at Yale..He's improved a lot since then..Still needs some refining, but far from horrible. Good accurate arm and his game-calling has improved too(Ive seen him play live)..hes only 23 and most catchers don't develop til around 24-25, like Tek did..Good thing is the Sox don't have to rush him to MLB and not impede on his development.
    Posted by southpaw777[/QUOTE]

Yes, remember that VTek was PT at 26 and got just 247 PAs. He became a FT catcher at age 27 (1999). As far as I know, he had always been a catcher his whole life.

VTek also did not dominate in the CERA his first couple years either.
    (Warning: I hate using team CERA to make a point)
    1998: Hatteberg  4.10 (904 IP)
               J. Varitek   4.29  (516 IP)
    1999: Hatteberg 3.13 in 158 IP
               J. Varitek   3.98 (1153)

By 2000, VTek started showing his skills as a "game caller":
    VTek  3.96 (1076)
    Hatt   5.02 (377)

He had just turned 28 that year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

What A great thread! I try to follow the prospects as much as possible, try to see which guys improve each year on their way to meeting their dream. One does have to give some credit to the Sox system and to Theo. Seems he has built a bridge with well placed timing. Loooks like there is at least one prospect due to arrive when one of our current stars reaches the end of their contracts or their careers. The Sox currently have 11 players on their roster (Including the injured, Buch, Lester and JLow) that came through their own system. Not sure how that compares to other teams, but I personally think thats a high percentage. If you look at starters (if all were healthy) you would have 5 everyday players and 5 pitchers. Not to shabby. You also have two players that came through trade (Gonzo and Tek) that blue chippers or starters were traded for. Says alot about the quality of the system when you draft late in rounds every year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from promise4you. Show promise4you's posts

[QUOTE]What A great thread! I try to follow the prospects as much as possible, try to see which guys improve each year on their way to meeting their dream. One does have to give some credit to the Sox system and to Theo. Seems he has built a bridge with well placed timing. Loooks like there is at least one prospect due to arrive when one of our current stars reaches the end of their contracts or their careers. The Sox currently have 11 players on their roster (Including the injured, Buch, Lester and JLow) that came through their own system. Not sure how that compares to other teams, but I personally think thats a high percentage. If you look at starters (if all were healthy) you would have 5 everyday players and 5 pitchers. Not to shabby. You also have two players that came through trade (Gonzo and Tek) that blue chippers or starters were traded for. Says alot about the quality of the system when you draft late in rounds every year.
    Posted by promise4you[/QUOTE]
    If you wanted to get technical, you could also say that Salty and Miller came through trades, but I donmt think the same high level Blue chippers went i return.

Sections
Shortcuts