Will Middlebrooks sent down to Pawtucket; Snyder up.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks sent down to Pawtucket; Snyder up.

Good move to send him down and 

work out his swing. My prediction is he

is back right after the break

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Hill55 deserves an apology from about 75% of this board.

Sox4ever

In December I cautiously wrote: "I hope Middlebrooks performs well in 2013, but I would not be surprised if he spends some time in Pawtucket."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/hills-crystal-ball-middlebrooks-to-need-more-time-in-aaa-in-2013/100/6461256?page=1

I take no joy in the struggles of Will Middlebrooks, who plays the game I love at a level I could only dream of.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

Sox4ever

In December I cautiously wrote: "I hope Middlebrooks performs well in 2013, but I would not be surprised if he spends some time in Pawtucket."

http://www.boston.com/community/forums/sports/red-sox/on-the-front-burner/hills-crystal-ball-middlebrooks-to-need-more-time-in-aaa-in-2013/100/6461256?page=1

I take no joy in the struggles of Will Middlebrooks, who plays the game I love at a level I could only dream of.

Good call hill. I wish I had played at this level, but Tufts University was as far as I got.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to ADG's comment:

Sox4ever

Good call hill. I wish I had played at this level, but Tufts University was as far as I got.

A Jumbo? I'm a fan of Tufts University, which almost every year gets a top student or two from my daughter's West Coast high school.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Sox4ever

A Jumbo? I'm a fan of Tufts University, which almost every year gets a top student or two from my daughter's West Coast high school.

I was at Tufts too....thats where I went to medical school. Small world.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Sox4ever

And just to watch people minds blow up, I would give Bogaerts some reps at 3B, and if successful, I would give serious consideration to trading WMB for young pitching and promoting Bogaerts.  He had a great start, but a weak K/W, and from 6/24 thru YE, he had a 33/6 K/W with a corresponding .692 OPS.  Remember too a BABIP of .335 is likely unsustainable.

Just remember who backed you up.  There wasn't a lot of people advocating for trading MBR back then.  Having said that, I hope they move him to 1B.  We could easily, easily be starting 4 minimum wage guys on the field next year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Just remember who backed you up.  There wasn't a lot of people advocating for trading MBR back then.  Having said that, I hope they move him to 1B.  We could easily, easily be starting 4 minimum wage guys on the field next year.

I love our prospects/young guys and think the all 4 can do well next year, but I just don't see Ben rolling 4 dice at the same time. He will either choose the one he feels is the weakest or needs more time than the others and get a bridge player or solid player for that slot or he may sign some flexible position guys that can cover multiple positions in case 1 or more of the kids struggle.

Personally, I think Ben makes a couple minor moves this deadline, but makes a big splash this winter (SP or big RH'd bat).

Sox4ever

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Sox4ever

Absolutely.  Not just about WMB, but generally.  Hill is one of my favourite posters.  Seems a big baseball fan to me, and a good person too.....openly a Mariners fan.....I think he is - correct me if you think I'm wrong, anyone - part of this board because he likes the passion of Sox fans.

WMB is a great example.  Some people went overboard on the unheralded WMB's great first two months in 2012.  Hill made several sober, sensible, polite comparisons and projections to other players expressing doubts that WMB would maintain that initial level of performance....but always stated he hoped he would but had doubts.  What's wrong with that?

Nothing, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Sox4ever

Absolutely.  Not just about WMB, but generally.  Hill is one of my favourite posters.  Seems a big baseball fan to me, and a good person too.....openly a Mariners fan.....I think he is - correct me if you think I'm wrong, anyone - part of this board because he likes the passion of Sox fans.

WMB is a great example.  Some people went overboard on the unheralded WMB's great first two months in 2012.  Hill made several sober, sensible, polite comparisons and projections to other players expressing doubts that WMB would maintain that initial level of performance....but always stated he hoped he would but had doubts.  What's wrong with that?

Nothing, IMO.

Well put. I enjoy hill as well, and wish we had more posters like him than some of these trolling psuedo Sox fans.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Thank you for the comforting words on an evening when the Pittsburgh Pirates are pounding my Seattle Mariners.Frown

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

The music stopped and WMB was left without a seat in this round of the left-side of the infield musical chairs.  He was beat fair and square.  He may also be expendible if Bogaerts develops as a third baseman and is deemed ready for prime time.  This may happen faster than WMB can establish himself as a legitimate middle-of-the-lineup threat, at least batting sixth or higher, as a first baseman.  The Red Sox may not want to wait that long.  If some team values his potential in a trade offer, I see WMB as a movable trade chip.  

If Philly is interested, I wonder if Lester and WMB for Cliff Lee and Michael Young is doable.  I could see that trade potentially working out for both teams.  Philly downgrades a little at the top of the rotation, but gets some salary relief and maybe gets a rejuvinated Lester next season.  They also get their potential next generation 3rd baseman with a huge power upside.  The first place Red Sox go bold and give themselves a better chance at making the playoffs and succeeding in a post-season series.  They also get their potential stopper going forward a couple of seasons more.  Michael Young is just a throw-in who is of little use to Philly.  I see him as infield depth and a seasoned right-handed bat that could potentially come up with big September or post-season moments a la Jim Leyritz, Edgar Renterria - Giants 2010, or Marco Scutaro - Giants 2012.  It would be a great way for him to end his career.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

its pretty obvious what the sox are doing here, aside from giving middlebrooks time to work on things and get back to form, they are showcasing drew. if drew plays well closer to the deadline then he becomes an idea trade candidate. in an ideal world, drew plays well thus increasing his value, middlbrooks figures things out, drew gets traded and then will comes back up and iggy goes back to short. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to redsoxpride34's comment:

its pretty obvious what the sox are doing here, aside from giving middlebrooks time to work on things and get back to form, they are showcasing drew. if drew plays well closer to the deadline then he becomes an idea trade candidate. in an ideal world, drew plays well thus increasing his value, middlbrooks figures things out, drew gets traded and then will comes back up and iggy goes back to short. 

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I don't see this as obvious.  If Drew plays well closer to the deadline, then he might stay on the team if there are no ready replacements at third.  I would love to see WMB regain his mojo, but I wouldn't bet on it.  

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Sox4ever

Then maybe you should be sent a brown and baby blue shirt with an elephant on it.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Thank you for the comforting words on an evening when the Pittsburgh Pirates are pounding my Seattle Mariners.Frown

I will be in Seattle next week on vacation with my wife. We are doing Mt. Rainier. Should we also try and fit in a ferry to Victoria? I'll be at Safeco on Sunday versus my current hometown team the Cubbies.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

I will be in Seattle next week on vacation with my wife. We are doing Mt. Rainier. Should we also try and fit in a ferry to Victoria? I'll be at Safeco on Sunday versus my current hometown team the Cubbies.

Victoria is a great town with a distinctive British feel ... be sure the have tea at the Empress Hotel and take a side trip to Butchart Gardens. I've been to Victoria only once, 21 years ago when the woman I was dating in Los Angeles took me there to meet her parents. We flew to Seattle and took the ferry into the Puget Sound and across the Strait of Juan de Fuca to Victoria.

Enjoy Safeco Field ... it's still one of my favorite baseball venues. I'll miss the Cubs series because I'm in San Diego, but I plan to attend the Mariners game against the Red Sox on July 11.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If Philly is interested, I wonder if Lester and WMB for Cliff Lee and Michael Young is doable.

Philly would rather have a pitcher under team control for longer than Lester.

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts