Will Middlebrooks to RF ?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks to RF ?

LF is a better place to stick him, especially in Fenway.

1B may be his best position defensively going forward, but unless we trade Napoli, he is blocked.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

He's not blocked at 3B if Xander is sent to AAA and gets a month in LF??

Time will tell --I kind of like the journey WMB is on. He's starting to hit--if they can convince him to go with pitches to RCF he becomes a monster at the plate. Back him off the plate like Vazquez last night. He may get some called strikes on the outer half but it keeps a guy like WMB away from fingers getting hit by pitches and it becomes his power alley to the opposite field.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Why not just trade him? Will he ever hit?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

In response to bosoxmal's comment:

Why not just trade him? Will he ever hit?

His value is at an all time low.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

why put him anywhere in the lineup? He CANT HIT! We certainly don't need another .180 guy in the lineup whose ceiling is .220 !!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've been pretty disappointed in WMB myself, but it's too soon to write him off.  They might as well give him another shot this year.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and show something with the bat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I've been pretty disappointed in WMB myself, but it's too soon to write him off.  They might as well give him another shot this year.  Hopefully he can stay healthy and show something with the bat.

If he can't stay healthy or hit at 3B what makes you think a guy like him could ever play RF?  I'm the last person who wants to see Middy try and play the OF.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

I would move him a little further out......like into the RF bleachers.

WE ARE ALL JUST POPPYSEEDS IN THE BAKERY OF LIFE

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

If he can't stay healthy or hit at 3B what makes you think a guy like him could ever play RF?  I'm the last person who wants to see Middy try and play the OF.

Well, you could make a case that his inability to stay healthy so far has been a series of bad luck - like getting hit in the hand with a pitch twice.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

Well, you could make a case that his inability to stay healthy so far has been a series of bad luck - like getting hit in the hand with a pitch twice.

Even when he was healthy, with the exception of a few streaks lasting a few weeks, he still could not hit. I think its safe to say he is unlikely to be a full time ML player.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

Even when he was healthy, with the exception of a few streaks lasting a few weeks, he still could not hit. I think its safe to say he is unlikely to be a full time ML player.

I can't completely agree.  His 2012 numbers were pretty solid.  .835 OPS, 15 HR and 54 RBI in 75 games.  Then he got injured for the first time.

I'm not a big believer in him either, but I think he should get another shot this year.  Not much to lose. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

I can't completely agree.  His 2012 numbers were pretty solid.  .835 OPS, 15 HR and 54 RBI in 75 games.  Then he got injured for the first time.

I'm not a big believer in him either, but I think he should get another shot this year.  Not much to lose. 

I could handle one last shot for him. Like you said, there is nothing to lose. But this is it. Produce or be released...or get used to living at Pawtucket.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ergoetal. Show Ergoetal's posts

I think he's worth bringing up again because his upside is huge -- mainly, power. I too would like to see him work on going to center and right more often and if he can do that I think the hitting will improve.

As for his fielding -- was he that bad at 3B? I thought as a rookie he looked OK, but I'll defer to others here.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Ergoetal's comment:

I think he's worth bringing up again because his upside is huge -- mainly, power. I too would like to see him work on going to center and right more often and if he can do that I think the hitting will improve.

As for his fielding -- was he that bad at 3B? I thought as a rookie he looked OK, but I'll defer to others here.

My biggest rap on Middys fielding is his inability to protect the 3B line.  Being so tall he allows too many balls to get past him, even when Iggy was covering SS which makes little sense.  He seemed to move over a bit more this season but went right back on the DL and still struggled at the plate which isn't a good sign.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I see Middlebrooks is hitting .232 in Pawtucket. He deserves  a promotion. Struggles against Triple AAA Pitchers, he should not be in any discussion.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

If he could hit .270 with some pop at Pawtucket I'd bring him back for one last shot, but if he's hovering at .232 in the Minors what's the point?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

If he could hit .270 with some pop at Pawtucket I'd bring him back for one last shot, but if he's hovering at .232 in the Minors what's the point?

It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, or hand more natural born talent to a player.  Middy isn't getting any younger either, he may have a few solid years at some point but my hope is he gets hot at AAA and some team believes he may continue to improve so we can package him for a better fit elsewhere. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

I'd worry about getting Wil Middlebrooks on the field first before start switching positions.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to trouts' comment:

I didn't realize he sucked that much down there. I guess we can write him off while he is still at Pawtucket if he doesn't get hot in another month or so. Too bad. Some prospects just don't work out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

In my view (assuming they are both healthy) it's a big mistake if the Sox don't stick the rest of the year with Bogaerts at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, Bradley in CF, and Vasquez behind the plate. 
    They could stand to showcase Drew at SS just a bit longer, hopefully he gets hot, and they move him. 
    Bogaerts was doing as well at SS as could have been expected and improving. As a matter of fact Bogaerts stepped up his game (after one a one game blip) from the moment the Sox signed Drew. The Boston scouts and front office obviously felt he could play SS. I feel 100% certain they had made that decision based on seeing a lot more of Bogaerts than anyone on this forum. 
    Middlebrooks remains an intriguing player. At one time there was a near consensus that he had plus defensive potential. He does seem to have legitimate plus power and this is a real need for the Sox and throughout MLB. 
    He's the kind of guy that would be worth having if he hit in the low .200's if he was hitting 30+ HRs. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:

In my view (assuming they are both healthy) it's a big mistake if the Sox don't stick the rest of the year with Bogaerts at SS, Middlebrooks at 3B, Bradley in CF, and Vasquez behind the plate. 
    They could stand to showcase Drew at SS just a bit longer, hopefully he gets hot, and they move him. 
    Bogaerts was doing as well at SS as could have been expected and improving. As a matter of fact Bogaerts stepped up his game (after one a one game blip) from the moment the Sox signed Drew. The Boston scouts and front office obviously felt he could play SS. I feel 100% certain they had made that decision based on seeing a lot more of Bogaerts than anyone on this forum. 
    Middlebrooks remains an intriguing player. At one time there was a near consensus that he had plus defensive potential. He does seem to have legitimate plus power and this is a real need for the Sox and throughout MLB. 
    He's the kind of guy that would be worth having if he hit in the low .200's if he was hitting 30+ HRs. 

He is batting .232/.623. Before he sees the light of day in Boston he will need to greatly improve those numbers. He will stink even worse against better pitching. There is no point in bringing him up.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

MIDDLE is closer to the END than the BEGINNING of his career. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Stick a fork in him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I would like to see what he has left at third.

Sections
Shortcuts