Will Middlebrooks - Top Red Sox prospect?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Will Middlebrooks - Top Red Sox prospect?

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6768361/mlb-keith-law-updated-2011-top-50-prospects

The only Red Sox on Keith Law's updated, mid-season top 50 prospect list.  Middlebrooks is slotted at #42.

"Analysis: He still has to work on recognizing off-speed pitches and working the count. Otherwise, he should be a plus defender at third who hits 25-plus homers. "

Bryce Brentz was the top honorable mention, and only other Red Sox mentioned.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks - Top Red Sox prospect?

Cant wait for his CoC..Probably next september....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

JB,
    You obviously are an insider and reference Klaw. Since you brought it up, i cant help myself to mention that just this past Tuesday I voiced my opinion on Lavarnway catching skills (I wasn't so kind).
    Anyways, since you brought up Klaw, here is what he said TODAY in his chat:

Mike (Worcester, MA)

Keith. Ryan Lavarnway has been mashing in AAA after killing it in AA. His control of the running game has also improved, and his PB numbers are way down. Is he a legit possibility at C for the Sox next year. Or if not, could that bat play at DH or 1B for another team?

Klaw
      (1:27 PM)

Red Sox believe he's a catcher, but I don't believe anyone else does.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Well he had Iggy at 45 and Ranaudo 54 pre-season so his opinion of both has lessened to an extent.

He also doesn't speak very highly of Montero's ability to catch.  Law dropped him from #4 pre-season down to 21 now.  He also dropped Casey Kelly from 19 to 29.

The Rays are still stacked in the minors.   3 guys out of the top 8 is impressive.  He's got Matt Moore all the way up to 2 now.  Look out for this dude.  LH pitcher with 3 good pitches and I've heard his fastball sits at 97 with a nice easy motion.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

good article from espnboston.com about the Sox prospects that are eligible for the next rule 5 draft and the likelihood of each being added to the 40 man roster to protect them.  writer says don't be surprised if they trade a few of these guys this year if the think they may lose them for nothing in the offseason

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

wow, I had heard they signed that kid Williams Jerez, their 2nd round pick from NYC, to a slot deal but I had no idea what that amount was.  According to ESPNNewYork, it is believed to be $433,700.  What a bargain for a kid with that much potential.   Shows how wacky the draft is when some guys can go several rounds later but get big bonuses.  He could have gone to one of the top JR Colleges but apparently just wanted to sign early and play right away.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/high-school/post/_/id/2719/jerez-officially-a-red-sox

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

Wonder if he'll be one of the prospects offered to the tampa devil dawgs for shields

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Goofywocky. Show Goofywocky's posts

the time of BRS keeping their prospects is gone, alas, just look at who went to SD for Adrian G....Rizzo, Kelly, Fuentes

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: Will Middlebrooks - Top Red Sox prospect?:
    JB, You obviously are an insider and reference Klaw. Since you brought it up, i cant help myself to mention that just this past Tuesday I voiced my opinion on Lavarnway catching skills (I wasn't so kind). Anyways, since you brought up Klaw, here is what he said TODAY in his chat: Mike (Worcester, MA) Keith. Ryan Lavarnway has been mashing in AAA after killing it in AA. His control of the running game has also improved, and his PB numbers are way down. Is he a legit possibility at C for the Sox next year. Or if not, could that bat play at DH or 1B for another team? Klaw   (1:27 PM) Red Sox believe he's a catcher, but I don't believe anyone else does.
    Posted by rkarp

That's fair, however unless the Sox are planning on trading Lavarnway, this suggests he will have every chance to succeed as a catcher.

Sections
Shortcuts