Will Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Will Middlebrooks

In reading alot of the posts on the Merits of resigning S Drew or having Bogey play SS, inevitably posters discount Wil Middlebrooks and so many want to add him to some trade. I have posted the stats before as have others, but it bears repeating and I want to get on record as saying the Sox are going to be thrilled if they let Will Middlebrooks be their 3B in 2014.

We must keep in mind that Will is 23 years old.....he is not Arb eligible until 2016 or Free Agent eligible to 2019. In 2 years, he has 169 games at the ML level, 660 Plate Appearances....so basically one full season. 32 HRs, 32 2B, 103 RBIs, a .462 SLG, Those stas would have ranked, 3rd, 7th. 3rd. and 7th among all Major league 3B last year. Yes, he only had a .296 OBP with a .254 BA and he K'd 168 times, but those are things a 23 year old can improve upon....RH power you are born with.

Manny Machado(another RHH) was considered a Phenom last year....because of what he accomplished at 21 years old, but he had 710 Plate appearnaces last year with 14 HR, 51 2B, 71 RBI, .435 SLG, a .314 OBP, with a .283 BA, and 113 K.

I do not think Will has as high a ceiling as Machado does, but look at the number comparison and I think it is apparent that too many people are overlooking the talent he does have. 

So many posters are excited about Garin Cecchini, but he is a 22YO who played AA last year....and if and when he got to the Majors, how many wouldnt be thrilled if in his 1st season he put up #'s like Will has....in one season instead of over 2 half seasons, they would be sure thing rookie of the year stats.

Forget S Drew..I look forward to having a dynamite young left side of the IF next year and years to come.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks

I like Middy too, but he was demoted twice this year- once for our SS Iggy and another for a 21 year old SS to play 3B with very little experience in the heat of a World Series.

I am confident he will do fine this year, but I think other GMs view him highly as well. I'd never be for giving him away, and I'm not for signing Drew, but if we do, I'd listen to offers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The reason why they are thrilled with Cecchini is because he produced off the charts numbers in his 2.25 years of pro ball, last year he lit up High A and AA. His OBP .443 with a Slug Pct. .471 for a combined OPS of .914. He's got above average speed and is a plus defender with a rocket arm, he's Wade Boggs offensively with Beltre defense!!! He hasn't hit for HR power but he has hit a whopping 83 doubles and 12 triples in his short career toss in 14 jacks and you see why he's praised by everyone including every GM in baseball... Will he produce in the pros only time will tell, Middlebrooks has the third base job for now, remember Marrero and Cechini are closing fast. Not to count Betts!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youkillus. Show youkillus's posts

Will turned 25 in September of this year. The Angels just got rid of their own version of Middy, trading Mark Trumbo. RH power is special, but OPS is EVERYTHING.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:

In reading alot of the posts on the Merits of resigning S Drew or having Bogey play SS, inevitably posters discount Wil Middlebrooks and so many want to add him to some trade. I have posted the stats before as have others, but it bears repeating and I want to get on record as saying the Sox are going to be thrilled if they let Will Middlebrooks be their 3B in 2014.

We must keep in mind that Will is 23 years old.....he is not Arb eligible until 2016 or Free Agent eligible to 2019. In 2 years, he has 169 games at the ML level, 660 Plate Appearances....so basically one full season. 32 HRs, 32 2B, 103 RBIs, a .462 SLG, Those stas would have ranked, 3rd, 7th. 3rd. and 7th among all Major league 3B last year. Yes, he only had a .296 OBP with a .254 BA and he K'd 168 times, but those are things a 23 year old can improve upon....RH power you are born with.

Manny Machado(another RHH) was considered a Phenom last year....because of what he accomplished at 21 years old, but he had 710 Plate appearnaces last year with 14 HR, 51 2B, 71 RBI, .435 SLG, a .314 OBP, with a .283 BA, and 113 K.

I do not think Will has as high a ceiling as Machado does, but look at the number comparison and I think it is apparent that too many people are overlooking the talent he does have. 

So many posters are excited about Garin Cecchini, but he is a 22YO who played AA last year....and if and when he got to the Majors, how many wouldnt be thrilled if in his 1st season he put up #'s like Will has....in one season instead of over 2 half seasons, they would be sure thing rookie of the year stats.

Forget S Drew..I look forward to having a dynamite young left side of the IF next year and years to come.

Middy will be 26 by seasons end, if he doesn't improve this season and spends significant time on the DL again move him while he is young enough for other clubs to still have interest.  Same goes for Peavy or Lackey, all our FO is worried about is losing or gaining draft picks which has been fine but they normally take 4 to 6 years to really develop if at all and we have a ton at this point in (like) positions.

It's time to think about helping/replacing Papi's bat with something other than a hopefull prospect or a bunch of short term platoon players. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I understand the sentiment.  If youlook at his two half-seasons as one full season, he looks great.  And I am not dismissing him by any means, not would I trade him just to trade him.  But-

1-We conceivably have two guys to replace him.  We have four guys destined for two slots.  And maybe 3 with Betts.

2-We don't have such an excess in the minors in other areas.

So if we could trade off equal value of WMB for other areas of need.  Just for the sake of debate, suppose Miami wanted to trade us Marisnik and DeSclafani for WMB, and then we sign Drew for maybe $22M/2, what's the downside?

We probably have equal or better production for two years.  It breaks a possible logjam.  And we're not forfeiting any of the future since we'd have a relatively the same amount of talent in the farm, and in areas where help is always needed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The concern is that Will Middlebrooks has posted a sub-.275 OPB and, even with the power, a sub-.700 OPS in 129 games since his fabulous 40-game MLB debut in 2012. Middlebrooks' fielding has raised concerns as well.

Most players experience a drop of 20-60 points in on-base percentage in the transition from the minors to MLB. Middlebrooks posted an OBP of .332 in 1,902 minor league plate appearances over parts of six professional seasons.

I hope Middlebrooks experiences success, but I suspect he is what he is: a 25-year-old defensively challenged low-OBP power hitter who remains under team control past his 30th birthday (unless he is released before then).

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I understand the sentiment.  If youlook at his two half-seasons as one full season, he looks great.  And I am not dismissing him by any means, not would I trade him just to trade him.  But-

1-We conceivably have two guys to replace him.  We have four guys destined for two slots.  And maybe 3 with Betts.

So if we could trade off equal value of WMB for other areas of need.  Just for the sake of debate, suppose Miami wanted to trade us Marisnik and DeSclafani for WMB, and then we sign Drew for maybe $22M/2, what's the downside?

We probably have equal or better production for two years.  It breaks a possible logjam.  And we're not forfeiting any of the future since we'd have a relatively the same amount of talent in the farm, and in areas where help is always needed.

Pretty good thought!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

That trade would be an absolute steal for the Red Sox given the respective ages of the players involved. Oliver projects a five-year WAR of 13.9 for 25-year-old Will Middlebrooks and 17.2 for 22-year-old Jake Marisnick. The addition of 23-year-old righthander Anthony DeSclafani, who has posted stellar numbers in two minor league seasons, would be a bonus.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#longprojection

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11339&position=OF#longprojection

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

The concern is that Will Middlebrooks has posted a sub-.275 OPB and, even with the power, a sub-.700 OPS in 129 games since his fabulous 40-game MLB debut in 2012. Middlebrooks' fielding has raised concerns as well.

Most players experience a drop of 20-60 points in on-base percentage in the transition from the minors to MLB. Middlebrooks posted an OBP of .332 in 1,902 minor league plate appearances over parts of six professional seasons.

I hope Middlebrooks experiences success, but I suspect he is what he is: a 25-year-old defensively challenged low-OBP power hitter who remains under team control past his 30th birthday (unless he is released before then).

I hope so too because Checchini at this point may end up a better hitter but as a 3B he has a long way to go.  Bogy might be the safest bet moving forward if Middy struggles.  If we get a 27/30 HR, 265/270BA with an OPS around 325/330 from Middy it could make the loss of Jacoby less of a factor.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Its hard to truly judge Middy since he had a broken wrist (which could still have been an issue this year) as well as having the seperated ribs/back issue after crashing into the wall trying to catch a foulball.

Not saying he didnt have some issues before that, but those injuries certainly didnt help. I saw a kid who really grew up last year after what he went through. You go with the hot hand in the playoffs and WS, and Bogey was hot. Middy was hitting really good when he came back. He a streaky hitter, or at least appears to be, so I dont worry about him not playing in the WS.

Id wait to see how he does this year before considering anything. If WMB can be a 260-80BA  310-20OBP and a 480SLG with 25HR and 140K's, Ill take that any day. Im not ready to give up on the kid. No way.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I like Will and think that he has a lot of VALUE  !!!   That being said, Ben has OPTIONS on keeping or moving Will...... The DREW impass is what is preventing this from working itself out !!  Move DREW, Will @ 3rd, Bogaerts @ SS .....  MOVEON.BEN !!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

I like Will and think that he has a lot of VALUE  !!!   That being said, Ben has OPTIONS on keeping or moving Will...... The DREW impass is what is preventing this from working itself out !!  Move DREW, Will @ 3rd, Bogaerts @ SS .....  MOVEON.BEN !!

Middys injury and growing pains had something to do with that too. Drew was the only steady player on the left side of our IF this year.

With that said, I think he should start 2014 at 3b with Xander at SS...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

I don't get the defensively challenged part.  He plays third base well enough and does not need the short stop going for balls in his area. 

Yea, Boggie replaced him in the playoffs but did not exactly show signs that he secured the third base spot for the future in case drew comes back.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Its hard to truly judge Middy since he had a broken wrist (which could still have been an issue this year) as well as having the seperated ribs/back issue after crashing into the wall trying to catch a foulball.

Not saying he didnt have some issues before that, but those injuries certainly didnt help. I saw a kid who really grew up last year after what he went through. You go with the hot hand in the playoffs and WS, and Bogey was hot. Middy was hitting really good when he came back. He a streaky hitter, or at least appears to be, so I dont worry about him not playing in the WS.

Id wait to see how he does this year before considering anything. If WMB can be a 260-80BA  310-20OBP and a 480SLG with 25HR and 140K's, Ill take that any day. Im not ready to give up on the kid. No way.

i agree that it's too soon to give up on Middlebrooks and i would venture a guess that Cherington and Farrel both feel the same way. We shall soon find out how the organization feels about both he and Boegarts manning the left side of the infield to open the 2014 season, if they make move on Drew. Middlebrooks would appear to be the odd man out and 3B becomes Boegarts to lose. If Drew signs with another club then we have our answer...it's really that simple. Though we also have to factor Bradley Jr into the equation as well and just how comfortable the Sox are opening the year with Boegarts and Bradley playing key defensive positions up the middle.

The reality is they don't have to make a move before the season begins even if they don't sign Drew. Hoisting a championship banner gives a team a little wiggle room and it's not like the three above are bums, given our depth in the rotation and what looks to be a very solid bullpen. We will be in the mix and if any of the above look to be a fatal flaw Cherington has the resources to make moves given the depth of our organization. So if the follow the blueprint break camp with the best 25 guys, they have until the All Star break to evaluate and look for an upgrade if one is needed and then beginning in June look for ways to bolster the club with and eye on the 2015 season where we will need to address our starting pitching. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

i agree that it's too soon to give up on Middlebrooks and i would venture a guess that Cherington and Farrel both feel the same way. We shall soon find out how the organization feels about both he and Boegarts manning the left side of the infield to open the 2014 season, if they make move on Drew. Middlebrooks would appear to be the odd man out and 3B becomes Boegarts to lose. If Drew signs with another club then we have our answer...it's really that simple. Though we also have to factor Bradley Jr into the equation as well and just how comfortable the Sox are opening the year with Boegarts and Bradley playing key defensive positions up the middle.

There may be other SS options besides Drew, and to me, the fact that the Sox supposedly have a standing offer on the table for Drew, shows they have grave concerns about Middy and maybe to a lesser extent Bogey, whether or not he accepts Ben's offer.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Basing Will Middlebrooks' single-season production on 169 games, or even 162 games, is optimistic because Middlebrooks has averaged only 114 games a year in his five full professional seasons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Basing Will Middlebrooks' single-season production on 169 games, or even 162 games, is optimistic because Middlebrooks has averaged only 114 games a year in his five full professional seasons.

True, but it's not unrealistic to project 155 games, 30 HRs, 30 2Bs, and 95 RBI. That being said, I could also see a line like this: .240  20  65.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i think we can go either way with Middy. RH'ed power is a commodity and there are probably plenty of teams waiting to jump at the chance of bringing in more power from the right side. he pretty young and should still be getting better so i am also OK with holding onto him (even if we resign Drew which i am a proponent of).

As it stands now, i think the sox will go into the 2014 season with Middy @ 3B and Xander @ SS. If Drew is willing to take a 1-2 year deal from the sox i expect they will jump all over that and park Xander in AAA to further refine his game leaving the left side to Middlebrooks and S Drew. That is my ideal scenario for the left side anyway. that way you are protected from injury or ineffectiveness with Xander only a phone call away. Also it's not like Middlebrooks or Drew on a 1-2 year deal is untradable.... we can still make a midseason move of Drew or Middlebrooks if Xander blows AAA out of the water.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

i think we can go either way with Middy. RH'ed power is a commodity and there are probably plenty of teams waiting to jump at the chance of bringing in more power from the right side. he pretty young and should still be getting better so i am also OK with holding onto him (even if we resign Drew which i am a proponent of).

As it stands now, i think the sox will go into the 2014 season with Middy @ 3B and Xander @ SS. If Drew is willing to take a 1-2 year deal from the sox i expect they will jump all over that and park Xander in AAA to further refine his game leaving the left side to Middlebrooks and S Drew. That is my ideal scenario for the left side anyway. that way you are protected from injury or ineffectiveness with Xander only a phone call away. Also it's not like Middlebrooks or Drew on a 1-2 year deal is untradable.... we can still make a midseason move of Drew or Middlebrooks if Xander blows AAA out of the water.

Leaving Bogey in AAA for a couple months would mean we get Bogey at age 27 instead of age 21.

I'm not saying I think that is reason enough, but it is a plus (for our future).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Oliver gives too much credit for his defense.  His WAR includes 75+ points on defense over the next five years.  The leader over the past 5 years is Bourn with 57.2, and no one else has more than 36.  It's an issue with trying to project 5 years from a month's work.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

The reason why they are thrilled with Cecchini is because he produced off the charts numbers in his 2.25 years of pro ball, last year he lit up High A and AA. His OBP .443 with a Slug Pct. .471 for a combined OPS of .914. He's got above average speed and is a plus defender with a rocket arm, he's Wade Boggs offensively with Beltre defense!!! He hasn't hit for HR power but he has hit a whopping 83 doubles and 12 triples in his short career toss in 14 jacks and you see why he's praised by everyone including every GM in baseball... Will he produce in the pros only time will tell, Middlebrooks has the third base job for now, remember Marrero and Cechini are closing fast. Not to count Betts!

I think your Boggs comparison is pretty accurate since he didn't hit home runs himself.  I think his slugging and OPS was elevated from his high batting average, but still... that is a lot to be excited about. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think others have pointed out, but Will Middlebrooks is 25 years old.  I like the case that you present for Middlebrooks, but one thing is for sure this season with him.  He either has to get on board with the Sox and learn to take a pitch or he will likely be traded in the future.  The Sox see an added value for taking as many pitches as possible and being selective at the plate. 

This story was before last season started and pretty much shows why he was sent down to the minors IMO.  It was so he could work on his plate approach:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/33208/will-middlebrooks-and-his-plate-patience

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

The management feels the same way.  It costs them next to nothing at league minimum to wait until the year starts to see what they have.  I expect them to give Middlebrooks all the opportunity in the world before the all star break to show that he has progressed as a player.  If he can rise his game up to those levels, I would be estatic. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Will shall have a breakout season this year. 30+ HRs, 100+ RBI. He is made for third on the Red Sox and batting 5th.

Sections
Shortcuts