Will Middlebrooks

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Will Middlebrooks

I'm a huge OBP fan, but if Middy gives us 30 HRs and 100+ RBIs, I wouldn't mind a .300 OBP and 200 Ks.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Verbals he will get his legs back, now that Jenny D. Is moving to Fox?  ;)

kidding. 

I think he could be in for a big year.  Let's hope he's taken to heart some of the lessons learned in 2013!!!  Plate discipline!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I'm a huge OBP fan, but if Middy gives us 30 HRs and 100+ RBIs, I wouldn't mind a .300 OBP and 200 Ks.

The 2006 Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant with a Will Middlebrooks-type hitter at thirdbase in Brandon Inge, who in that career year posted a .313 on-base percentage with 27 homeruns, 83 runs and 83 RBI.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=470&position=3B

Now if Middlebrooks could only match Inge's fielding ...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I like Will and think that he has a lot of VALUE  !!!   That being said, Ben has OPTIONS on keeping or moving Will...... The DREW impass is what is preventing this from working itself out !!  Move DREW, Will @ 3rd, Bogaerts @ SS .....  MOVEON.BEN !!

[/QUOTE]

Middys injury and growing pains had something to do with that too. Drew was the only steady player on the left side of our IF this year.

With that said, I think he should start 2014 at 3b with Xander at SS...

[/QUOTE]

Only steady ... never mind.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to moonslav59's comment:

The 2006 Detroit Tigers won the American League pennant with a Will Middlebrooks-type hitter at thirdbase in Brandon Inge, who in that career year posted a .313 on-base percentage with 27 homeruns, 83 runs and 83 RBI.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=470&position=3B

Now if Middlebrooks could only match Inge's fielding ...

[/QUOTE]

The Boston Red Sox won a World Series with Middlebrooks playing 3B. What is it about Middlebrooks that seems to be a lighting rod for you. Do you feel the need to be the authority on his ability? Or is it simply a case where you feel the need to play the role of the unbiased evaluator of Red Sox prospects. 

i get that The kids has some work to do but he also has some pretty good raw tools and one of them is something you're born with. That's the ability to hit a baseball 450 feet. He's hardly a butcher at third and if given the opportunity to play has demonstrated that he possesses the work ethic and the drive to improve. While he'll never be in the elite class of major league third baseman. That doesn't mean he can't be a very solid big league player. 

End of the day the kid is still just 25 and has already shown flashes of his potential upside. Perhaps he will fall short and like all of us find himself out of the game and looking for a real job. In the meantime I personnaly don't like to put limits on a player until they prove they can't and in this case Middlebrooks is far from a has been...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In response to Beantowne's comment:

The Boston Red Sox won a World Series with Middlebrooks playing 3B. What is it about Middlebrooks that seems to be a lighting rod for you. Do you feel the need to be the authority on his ability? Or is it simply a case where you feel the need to play the role of the unbiased evaluator of Red Sox prospects. 

i get that The kids has some work to do but he also has some pretty good raw tools and one of them is something you're born with. That's the ability to hit a baseball 450 feet. He's hardly a butcher at third and if given the opportunity to play has demonstrated that he possesses the work ethic and the drive to improve. While he'll never be in the elite class of major league third baseman. That doesn't mean he can't be a very solid big league player. 

End of the day the kid is still just 25 and has already shown flashes of his potential upside. Perhaps he will fall short and like all of us find himself out of the game and looking for a real job. In the meantime I personnaly don't like to put limits on a player until they prove they can't and in this case Middlebrooks is far from a has been...

My point was that a team does not need an All Star at every position to be successful.

Merry Christmas. I wish you (and Will Middlebrooks) the very best in the new year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

My point was that a team does not need an All Star at every position to be successful.

Merry Christmas. I wish you (and Will Middlebrooks) the very best in the new year.

[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas to you too hill, I wish you good health and success in the new year. Pardon me if i somehow couldn't or didn't gleen your point out of your previous post. I have great respect for your knowledge of the game and you're one of the top poster that contribute to this board. My general feeling is that you tend to always point out the negatives and rarely speak to the potential for Midlebrooks to improve. I would say his body of work is still incomplete a due to injuries that have prevented him from finding his swing and staying consistent. 2014 Imho is the year he proves one way or the other that he's capable of being an everyday player at the big league level (whether that's with the Sox or not). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas to you too hill, I wish you good health and success in the new year. Pardon me if i somehow couldn't or didn't gleen your point out of your previous post. I have great respect for your knowledge of the game and you're one of the top poster that contribute to this board. My general feeling is that you tend to always point out the negatives and rarely speak to the potential for Midlebrooks to improve. I would say his body of work is still incomplete a due to injuries that have prevented him from finding his swing and staying consistent. 2014 Imho is the year he proves one way or the other that he's capable of being an everyday player at the big league level (whether that's with the Sox or not). 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bean for your posts.....you were more eloquent then me in making the point of my OP.....2014 is a big year for Wil and I think it would be crazy for the Sox not to give him the opportunity to show what he can be by bringing back Drew and sending him to AAA for insurance....or trading him....he is one of those guys that when traded will end up hitting 40 hrs somewhere else.  I find it interesting that posters are still in their staked out positions....he K's too much...his OBP is horrible....he can't play defense....etc......We as fans are always so excited about that next big prospect.....Boegaarts....Cecchini....but we forget that Wil Middlebrooks was out Top rated Prospect 3 years ago......so much so that he displaced a fan favorite in Youk and had us not resign another favorite in Beltre...and now after 169 games.....in which his stats overall are more than average,,,,we are ready to toss him aside for the next great thing. As I sated in my original post....I predict a very big year from him, if they give him the everyday job

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to tomnev's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bean for your posts.....you were more eloquent then me in making the point of my OP.....2014 is a big year for Wil and I think it would be crazy for the Sox not to give him the opportunity to show what he can be by bringing back Drew and sending him to AAA for insurance....or trading him....he is one of those guys that when traded will end up hitting 40 hrs somewhere else.  I find it interesting that posters are still in their staked out positions....he K's too much...his OBP is horrible....he can't play defense....etc......We as fans are always so excited about that next big prospect.....Boegaarts....Cecchini....but we forget that Wil Middlebrooks was out Top rated Prospect 3 years ago......so much so that he displaced a fan favorite in Youk and had us not resign another favorite in Beltre...and now after 169 games.....in which his stats overall are more than average,,,,we are ready to toss him aside for the next great thing. As I sated in my original post....I predict a very big year from him, if they give him the everyday job

[/QUOTE]

Happy holiday Tom,

I appreciate your kind words. I too think that Middlebrooks has the raw tools to be a very solid major league player. Not unlike when they promoted Pedrioa and let him work through a rough patch to begin his now Hof worthy career.

My general feeling is that if the Sox aren't ready and willing to hand the position to Middlebrooks and commit to him as the every day third baseman. In fairness to the kid, they should trade him to a club that will, there's little to gain sending him back to AAA. It all comes down to where they see Bogaerts playing long term. If he's now or they see him as the 3rd baseman of the future given his upside I'd be fine with them trading Middlebrooks.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

splits say his numbers were great before league got a book.  and then he feasted on Sept callups.  cannot agree with the 160 game average that have been stated in this thread.

this poster is for bringing Drew back and having X-Bo man 3rd for the next year or two until:  Cecchini 3b & X-Bo SS.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

splits say his numbers were great before league got a book.  and then he feasted on Sept callups.  cannot agree with the 160 game average that have been stated in this thread.

this poster is for bringing Drew back and having X-Bo man 3rd for the next year or two until:  Cecchini 3b & X-Bo SS.....

[/QUOTE]

Slasher, is there anything to back up this claim, or is it just a way of dismissing his late-season stats? Of his 6 September home runs, most were off legit, recognizable major leaguers.

For what it's worth, Middlebrooks hit .322 with .880 OPS in August vs. .244/.746 in September.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

sorry...i should have posted some #'s.

May 2012 (his first month in the Majors) he hit 6HR's & had a .922 OPS.

April & Sep 2013 he had 6 HR's each month with significant dropoff in May/June leading to demotion.  You are right about August...he came back in August making great contact for average but only 2 HR's.

Scahill may have been the only sep callup.  he bit Pettitte & Rivera in Sep so we will take that for sure!  i stand corrected on the "callup" portion.  Seems he also sees the ball well vs Oswalt as he got him in Sept & also Aug 2012.

he seems to bookend his power for whatever reason.  comes out of spring training driving the ball.  hopefully he can find a way to keep the power (or at least the OPS) numbers up past May.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Slasher, is there anything to back up this claim, or is it just a way of dismissing his late-season stats? Of his 6 September home runs, most were off legit, recognizable major leaguers.

For what it's worth, Middlebrooks hit .322 with .880 OPS in August vs. .244/.746 in September.

[/QUOTE]

Numbers can be manipulated to strengthen ones argument. It is a widely held belief that all young players expect for the phenom's have to work hard and make adjustements once the ML scouts get a book on them....That said, we can't overlook the adjustments Middlebrooks made while in Pawtucket and the success he had after coming back. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Numbers can be manipulated to strengthen ones argument. It is a widely held belief that all young players expect for the phenom's have to work hard and make adjustements once the ML scouts get a book on them....That said, we can't overlook the adjustments Middlebrooks made while in Pawtucket and the success he had after coming back. 

[/QUOTE]

True.  with all the perceived "successes" while in pawtucket... then we also cannot overlook Xander Bogaerts playing 3b in the postseason.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

[QUOTE]

True.  with all the perceived "successes" while in pawtucket... then we also cannot overlook Xander Bogaerts playing 3b in the postseason.

[/QUOTE]

might have to change your name from slash to swish

2 points for slash

not saying I agree with anyone more than the other here

just saying good point 4  what's  his name

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

sorry...i should have posted some #'s.

May 2012 (his first month in the Majors) he hit 6HR's & had a .922 OPS.

April & Sep 2013 he had 6 HR's each month with significant dropoff in May/June leading to demotion.  You are right about August...he came back in August making great contact for average but only 2 HR's.

Scahill may have been the only sep callup.  he bit Pettitte & Rivera in Sep so we will take that for sure!  i stand corrected on the "callup" portion.  Seems he also sees the ball well vs Oswalt as he got him in Sept & also Aug 2012.

he seems to bookend his power for whatever reason.  comes out of spring training driving the ball.  hopefully he can find a way to keep the power (or at least the OPS) numbers up past May.

[/QUOTE]

No problem. All of the above is why I'm interested to see what he does over a full, hopefully healthy season...I'm skeptical, but he has shown enough in flashes for me not to want to give up on him yet. I doubt he'll ever become a high OBP guy, but there is some value in the Mark Trumbos of the world as well.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It was obvious that Farrell had no confidence in Middlebrooks. Will faces an uphill battle to get back in his manager's good graces and get his name penciled in the starting lineup.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

might have to change your name from slash to swish

2 points for slash

not saying I agree with anyone more than the other here

just saying good point 4  what's  his name

[/QUOTE]

Not sure that I disagree that we can't or shouldn't overlook middlebrook's benching in the WS my point was that the kid went down to Pawtucket, closed his stance which allowed him to better handle the pitch on the outer half had success driving the ball the other way...So entering next season with his new approach I would like to see him given 200 at bats playing every day without the pressure of worrying about losing his spot..That or commit Bogaerts and trade the kid...

Last time I Checked Zac's Yanks could use a cost effective corner infielder...

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

I understand the sentiment.  If youlook at his two half-seasons as one full season, he looks great.  And I am not dismissing him by any means, not would I trade him just to trade him.  But-

1-We conceivably have two guys to replace him.  We have four guys destined for two slots.  And maybe 3 with Betts.

2-We don't have such an excess in the minors in other areas.

So if we could trade off equal value of WMB for other areas of need.  Just for the sake of debate, suppose Miami wanted to trade us Marisnik and DeSclafani for WMB, and then we sign Drew for maybe $22M/2, what's the downside?

We probably have equal or better production for two years.  It breaks a possible logjam.  And we're not forfeiting any of the future since we'd have a relatively the same amount of talent in the farm, and in areas where help is always needed.

That trade would be an absolute steal for the Red Sox given the respective ages of the players involved. Oliver projects a five-year WAR of 13.9 for 25-year-old Will Middlebrooks and 17.2 for 22-year-old Jake Marisnick. The addition of 23-year-old righthander Anthony DeSclafani, who has posted stellar numbers in two minor league seasons, would be a bonus.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=7002&position=3B#longprojection

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=11339&position=OF#longprojection

[/QUOTE]

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

Boras will NEVER let Drew sign for $22m/2yrs. He want at least double that on both counts. The manager loves Drew and his opinion counts as he's a master of evaluating talent, just look at the '13 results.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Middlebrooks will be at 3b in April.  The only remaining question is whether or not Drew is signed.  If he is,  then Bogaerts probably starts the season in Pawtucket. ..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to notin's comment:

Middlebrooks will be at 3b in April.  The only remaining question is whether or not Drew is signed.  If he is,  then Bogaerts probably starts the season in Pawtucket. ..

I don't think the Sox have any intentions of having Boegarts start the year anywhere else but in Boston. As I stated in an earlier post the question that remains is which position do they see Boegarts playing in the next three to five years, if it's 3rd then. They'll sign Drew and look to trade Middlebrooks...if it's SS then both Bogaerts and Middlebrook's will be on the opening day roster. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't think the Sox have any intentions of having Boegarts start the year anywhere else but in Boston. As I stated in an earlier post the question that remains is which position do they see Boegarts playing in the next three to five years, if it's 3rd then. They'll sign Drew and look to trade Middlebrooks...if it's SS then both Bogaerts and Middlebrook's will be on the opening day roster. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure.

First of all, if he plays SS in 2014, that has no bearing on 2016 or 2018.

Second, his age 28 season will be worth more than his age 22 year.

Third. Starti g in AAA is not permandnt and gives the Sox the most depth and options.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure.

Third. Starti g in AAA is not permandnt and gives the Sox the most depth and options.

[/QUOTE]

As David Byrne would say, "Stop making sense".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure.

[/QUOTE]

You make some good points, but in my opinion, if the Sox sign Drew, Middlebrooks will likely be moved or he'll start the year in Pawtucket.  Bogaerts would have to have a horrific spring training not to be in the opening day line-up.  Scott Boras isn't the only person involved in baseball who thinks this kid will be a "top 5 player in the game," and sooner rather than later.  You won't find anyone who doesn't think he's ready now & the Sox Front Office won't keep a kid "with his talent" in the minors to save money 6 years from now.  

Sections
Shortcuts