Re: Will Middlebrooks

In response to moonslav59's comment:

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Beantowne's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to notin's comment:

[QUOTE]

Middlebrooks will be at 3b in April.  The only remaining question is whether or not Drew is signed.  If he is,  then Bogaerts probably starts the season in Pawtucket. ..

I don't think the Sox have any intentions of having Boegarts start the year anywhere else but in Boston. As I stated in an earlier post the question that remains is which position do they see Boegarts playing in the next three to five years, if it's 3rd then. They'll sign Drew and look to trade Middlebrooks...if it's SS then both Bogaerts and Middlebrook's will be on the opening day roster. 

[/QUOTE]

I am not so sure.

First of all, if he plays SS in 2014, that has no bearing on 2016 or 2018.

Second, his age 28 season will be worth more than his age 22 year.

Third. Starti g in AAA is not permandnt and gives the Sox the most depth and options.

[/QUOTE]

As David Byrne would say, "Stop making sense".

[/QUOTE]

What you're both overlooking is that aside from delaying his arbitration clock. Bogaerts has nothing to gain developmentally from starting the year in AAA nor does Middlebrooks. the reality is that the Sox are hopeful that Bogaerts bat will replace the production lost with the loss of Ellsbury. Ideally both he and Middlebrooks are on the opening day roster, starting and being productive. A senerio that is not wishful thinking...Then that leaves only Bradley Jr. as a question mark. That's if they don't acquire another centerfielder or rightfielder and move Victorino to center with Bradley starting the season in AAA or being part of a deal himself (see below).

Again if they decide to re-up Drew who'll want a mulit year deal, that means that they don't see Bogaerts as the every day SS of the future and will then look to trade Middlebrook's. My general feeling is that they want nothing more than for him to prove he an man the position given the competitive advantage his bat would give them at a premium defensive position.

I would be more than ok with them signing Drew. I don't see him accepting a one year deal not with the quality and quantity of SS coming to market next year. where he'll lose most of his leverage unless the Sox as part of the signing agree not him extend a qualifier next year?

As an aside, given the Tanaka sweeps and the top four free agent starters still on the market the Sox who have a surplus of starters have to hold on to thier cards until the market re-sets. After the above have all found teams and signed. Which might take until the beginning of spring training to work itself out. At that point the market for the Sox to make a deal will be much more fluid and again at that time they could package Bradley Jr., Middlebrooks and Dempster as an example for an impact OF bat. Cherington is dealing from a position of strength given the organizational depth and the current state of the teams payroll..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

What you're both overlooking is that aside from delaying his arbitration clock. Bogaerts has nothing to gain developmentally from starting the year in AAA nor does Middlebrooks. the reality is that the Sox are hopeful that Bogaerts bat will replace the production lost with the loss of Ellsbury. Ideally both he and Middlebrooks are on the opening day roster, starting and being productive. A senerio that is not wishful thinking...Then that leaves only Bradley Jr. as a question mark. That's if they don't acquire another centerfielder or rightfielder and move Victorino to center with Bradley starting the season in AAA or being part of a deal himself (see below).

Bogey could certainly use more time in AAA to improve his fielding, and if we foresee him as our future 3Bman, he could use some time in AAA learning the 3B ropes. Also, I think he could still play on the big club for a big part of 2014 and still retain the extra year of team control. So, if Middy struggles, Bogey could step in with more 3B experience and the extra year of control.

Plus, even if Bogey has no more "developing" to do, his value will almost certainly be higxher at 28 than 22.

Again if they decide to re-up Drew who'll want a mulit year deal, that means that they don't see Bogaerts as the every day SS of the future and will then look to trade Middlebrook's. My general feeling is that they want nothing more than for him to prove he an man the position given the competitive advantage his bat would give them at a premium defensive position.

Drew does want a multi year deal, but it doesn't look like any other team is that interested, so he may take a one year deal to "prove" he is worth a long contract after 2014.

I would be more than ok with them signing Drew. I don't see him accepting a one year deal not with the quality and quantity of SS coming to market next year. where he'll lose most of his leverage unless the Sox as part of the signing agree not him extend a qualifier next year?

He probably wishes he took the QO this year.

As an aside, given the Tanaka sweeps and the top four free agent starters still on the market the Sox who have a surplus of starters have to hold on to thier cards until the market re-sets. After the above have all found teams and signed. Which might take until the beginning of spring training to work itself out. At that point the market for the Sox to make a deal will be much more fluid and again at that time they could package Bradley Jr., Middlebrooks and Dempster as an example for an impact OF bat. Cherington is dealing from a position of strength given the organizational depth and the current state of the teams payroll..

I could see a deal like that happening, buts more likely we deal Dempster and/or Peavy for a prospect.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Bogey could certainly use more time in AAA to improve his fielding, and if we foresee him as our future 3Bman, he could use some time in AAA learning the 3B ropes. Also, I think he could still play on the big club for a big part of 2014 and still retain the extra year of team control. So, if Middy struggles, Bogey could step in with more 3B experience and the extra year of control.

Plus, even if Bogey has no more "developing" to do, his value will almost certainly be higxher at 28 than 22.

Having his bat in the lineup and playing everyday is far more valuable to the team this year than the marginal improvements he'll make playing in AAA. As for his year 28 season that's not  all that big a deal if they can get him to sign an extensioin in a few years once he proves he's worthy. Which is pretty common in today's game. 

Drew does want a multi year deal, but it doesn't look like any other team is that interested, so he may take a one year deal to "prove" he is worth a long contract after 2014.

It's still to early to say that no ones interested, more likely the teams that have interest could be waiting to see if they sign one of the top pitchers thus the comp pick they'd lose for signing drew becomes a 2nd rounder.. 

He probably wishes he took the QO this year.

To soon to tell until the all of the top guys have signed but if he gets to February 1st without a deal in place. Waiting until next year won't improve his chances...

I could see a deal like that happening, buts more likely we deal Dempster and/or Peavy for a prospect.

You could be right my greater point is that the Sox have plenty of time, payroll flexibilty and resources to make moves well into the coming season. 

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

i think it's a win win with Drew as well as bogaerts...

with drew we either gain a draft pick or we gain one of the top SSs in the league who has proven he can play in Boston.

with bogaerts we either have him for all of 2014 or we gain an extra year from him and let him further refine his game in AAA and have the luxury of calling him up midseason if we need to make a move on Drew/middy.

it's certainly an envious position to be in and our team isnt going to be drastically better or worse no matter which way we go.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The Sox are clearly sold on Boagerts at SS. They never would have made the trade for Peavy if they did not see Boagerts as a SS. 
    Cecchini is equally obviously the near future 3B-man. He shows every sign of being a hitting machine (emerging Bagwell type power). And is a superior defender. 
    Middlebrooks has a future at 1B. It's too soon to give up on him. His low OBP is a major concern. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patrickford. Show patrickford's posts

The Sox were playing Bogaerts regularly in the WS. 
    The only argument for starting the year with him in AAA is to preserve a year of control. 
    If he comes out and has a very strong Spring that won't be happeneing, 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to patrickford's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The only argument for starting the year with him in AAA is to preserve a year of control. 

[/QUOTE]

As I stated earlier. I too don't see a senerio where Bogaerts is not on the opening day roster. I could see them signing Drew who's the superior defender with Bogaerts the everyday 3b. I also think the team is comfortable with opening the year with Bogaerts and Middlbrooks manning the leftside of the infield. End of the day if the Sox truly wanted Drew they'd have already signed him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

As I stated earlier. I too don't see a senerio where Bogaerts is not on the opening day roster. I could see them signing Drew who's the superior defender with Bogaerts the everyday 3b. I also think the team is comfortable with opening the year with Bogaerts and Middlbrooks manning the leftside of the infield. End of the day if the Sox truly wanted Drew they'd have already signed him.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox are doing the right thing with Drew.  They want him but at their price and only a year or two tops.  We need to start making smarter trades, if we really believe in our young SP's then why are we in the same position year after year and find the need to trade young SS's or 1B like Iggy and Rizzo for veteran starters? 

ANSWER, because very few (if any) of these young pitchers we talk about ever really make it.  We need to either package a couple for a better fit somewhere, or at the very least trade a vet like Lackey or Peavey while the value is there and move a youngster like Workman into the rotation.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

The Sox are doing the right thing with Drew.  They want him but at their price and only a year or two tops.  We need to start making smarter trades, if we really believe in our young SP's then why are we in the same position year after year and find the need to trade young SS's or 1B like Iggy and Rizzo for veteran starters? 

ANSWER, because very few (if any) of these young pitchers we talk about ever really make it.  We need to either package a couple for a better fit somewhere, or at the very least trade a vet like Lackey or Peavey while the value is there and move a youngster like Workman into the rotation.

[/QUOTE]

well, pitchers come from somewhere and if they don't come from the minors i don't know where.... currently we have 3/5ths of our rotation being homegrown players. lester, buch and doobie.

pitchers IMO are crapshoots more than any other position. in both the minor leagues as well as free agency. So by stockpiling young, talented arms on the farm you greatly increase your chances of getting an impact starter. the michael Wachas of the world dont grow on trees. most SP prospects take awhile to work their way through the minors. while that is happening the big league club needs help on the SP front and obviously cant draw from the well just yet to we trade expendable pieces (iggy -not sure why you included Rizzo as im pretty sure we was traded for another 1Bman) to bolster our rotation.

if you are trying to increase our chances of getting young impact arms it is much more prudent to not only keep all of our minor league pitching talent intact but aquire MORE. Not get rid of them. it's like the lottery, 1 ticket gives you a chance to strike it big. 10 tickets gives you a much better chance of striking it big. and the 9 extra tickets only cost you a buck apiece.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

How many veteran starters have we traded for?  If we're talking about real SPs, it was Pedro, Schilling, both pending FAs, Beckett, and Peavy.  And we traded away legit SPs in Sanchez and Masteron, and to a lesser degree Arroyo.

And if you look at the guys in MLB that started with RS, Lester, Sanchez, Buchholz, Masterson, and Doubront would probably rank with any team in BB for development purposes.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

craze...

the Sox won the World Series last year so I'm struggling with your "they have to start making better trades"? Lester, Buccholz and Doubront all were drafted and developed in our system, Workman will be in the mix before this season is over and will be given a serious look in 2015 to be part of the rotation along with Owens, Ranuando, Barnes, Britton and Webster. 

without getting into a protracted debate the reason the Sox made the deal for Peavy was because they weren't convinced that Buccholz would return. Which allowed them to move Workman into the pen where they needed to overcome the loss of three of thier top relievers entering the season. Perhaps one could agruse the Sox would have won it all without making the deal for Peavy, but I am of the mind that aside from the results the player has On the field there's a lot of momentum gained by an organization when they show the players that they're committed to winning and the acquisition of player to address what could be a fatal flaw is critical...Here's the deal no Iglesias or Bogaerts and the Tigers don't give up thier best OF prosepct to the White Sox...thus we have no deal....

In retrospect the aquision of Gonzalez cost us a decent prospect in Rizzo, but he's not an impact player, certainly not one that we'll look back on and wonder what if, like Bagwell or Hanley Ramirez. remember the Padres traded him to the Cubs after making a deal with Cincinati to aquire Alonzo Another highly touted 1b prospect who was buried in the Reds system behind Votto...

lastly, I fully expect the Sox to trade one or more of thier starters but the market for starters is still in flux. Teams looking for pitching with the resources to sign the top free agents will first do thier diligence on Tanaka and once he makes his choice then they'll turn thier attention to the remaining top free agents with Garza, Santana, Jimenez & Arroyo all waiting on teams in the hunt for Tanaka to drop out...once they've all signed which might take until well into January. the market will then become far more fluid. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

well, pitchers come from somewhere and if they don't come from the minors i don't know where.... currently we have 3/5ths of our rotation being homegrown players. lester, buch and doobie.

pitchers IMO are crapshoots more than any other position. in both the minor leagues as well as free agency. So by stockpiling young, talented arms on the farm you greatly increase your chances of getting an impact starter. the michael Wachas of the world dont grow on trees. most SP prospects take awhile to work their way through the minors. while that is happening the big league club needs help on the SP front and obviously cant draw from the well just yet to we trade expendable pieces (iggy -not sure why you included Rizzo as im pretty sure we was traded for another 1Bman) to bolster our rotation.

if you are trying to increase our chances of getting young impact arms it is much more prudent to not only keep all of our minor league pitching talent intact but aquire MORE. Not get rid of them. it's like the lottery, 1 ticket gives you a chance to strike it big. 10 tickets gives you a much better chance of striking it big. and the 9 extra tickets only cost you a buck apiece.

[/QUOTE]

Either way we traded two young prospects (three if you include Hanley) who played positions we have been unable to fill since Youk and Nomar for high priced veterans.  At least in Hanley's case it worked out well because we also took a chance and got lucky with Lowell.  Although we also lost Sanchez who could be in our rotation today.

The reason being is this .... In 2012 we needed help and brought up Wieland who lost six or seven straight games before we even gave someone else a chance.  Last season we gave Webster three starts over a kid like Renaudo who was having a much better season and he got hammered.  However Workman and Britton looked pretty good.  Don't get me wrong I would love to see Renaudo, Barnes and others get a chance before making any big moves. 

OPTIONS:

#1 Trade Dempster's 13mil to dump salary and move Workman up even if we pay half.

#2 Trade young prospects for other prospects who may better suit the Sox and another teams need. 

#3 Package Peavy or Lackey while they still have value for a top young pitcher or positional player under team control for years instead of hoping for another draft pick then waiting three to five years for results. 

Moving Dempster along with Lackey or Peavy could easiliy free up another 20/30mil

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to mef429's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Either way we traded two young prospects (three if you include Hanley) who played positions we have been unable to fill since Youk and Nomar for high priced veterans.  At least in Hanley's case it worked out well because we also took a chance and got lucky with Lowell.  Although we also lost Sanchez who could be in our rotation today.

The reason being is this .... In 2012 we needed help and brought up Wieland who lost six or seven straight games before we even gave someone else a chance.  Last season we gave Webster three starts over a kid like Renaudo who was having a much better season and he got hammered.  However Workman and Britton looked pretty good.  Don't get me wrong I would love to see Renaudo, Barnes and others get a chance before making any big moves. 

OPTIONS:

#1 Trade Dempster's 13mil to dump salary and move Workman up even if we pay half.

#2 Trade young prospects for other prospects who may better suit the Sox and another teams need. 

#3 Package Peavy or Lackey while they still have value for a top young pitcher or positional player under team control for years instead of hoping for another draft pick then waiting three to five years for results. 

Moving Dempster along with Lackey or Peavy could easiliy free up another 20/30mil

[/QUOTE]

craze,

the Red Sox have won three World Series in a decade. What's that worth in prospects...do we win in 2007 without Beckett, unlikely. sometimes I think we all get to caught up in the teams payroll and forget that the Sox are in the top three teams in terms of profits and franchise value. if by trading a top prospects it yield a championship I'm ok if they trade one every year...

question, why would you trade Lackey when we're in position to defend and repeat as World Series Champions? My intuition suggest that once the market becomes fluid the Sox will trade one or both of Peavy and or Dempster. I doubt trading Lackey is even a remote possibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Trade young prospects for other prospects who may better suit the Sox and another teams need. 

In theory this sounds great, especially if we can trade several blocked prospects for one much better one who plays a position we need, but you rarely see this type of deal for a top prospect.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

[QUOTE]

Trade young prospects for other prospects who may better suit the Sox and another teams need. 

In theory this sounds great, especially if we can trade several blocked prospects for one much better one who plays a position we need, but you rarely see this type of deal for a top prospect.

[/QUOTE]

We saw an exapmle of it last year with the Peavy for Iggy trade. the White sox acquired the Tigers top prospect OF prospect in Avisil Garcia to address a need. in return the Tigers aquired Iggy to address a need a player who was deemed expendable because of Bogaerts. 

Sections
Shortcuts