Will Nava Be the Next Shoe to Fall?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Will Nava Be the Next Shoe to Fall?

MLBTR....

Royals, Tigers Interested In Daniel Nava

By Steve Adams [August 11, 2014 at 2:50pm CDT]

Though Daniel Nava has yet to be placed on waivers, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe, he’s already begun to draw trade interest from the Royals and Tigers as the AL Central frontrunners each search for a bat to add to their lineup (Twitter link).

The 31-year-old Nava is hitting just .248/.327/.310 this season, but he carries a significant platoon split and would likely see his overall numbers improve were he to face only right-handed pitching. Nava is a switch-hitter by trade, but his lifetime .207/.287/.300 batting line as a right-handed hitter is unimpressive, to say the least. However, he boasts a .289/.384/.422 triple-slash in his career as a left-handed hitter and is slashing .276/.360/.346 from that side of the dish in 2014. Beyond that, Defensive Runs Saved is a fan of his career work at both outfield corners. Ultimate Zone Rating doesn’t like his glove in left field but has been positive regarding his work as a right fielder.

The Royals could look at Nava as a upgrade (both offensively and defensively) over veteran Raul Ibanez, who has batted a paltry .193/.233/.386 in 60 plate appearances since returning to the team. While Nava’s struggles from the right side make it seem counterintuitive to suggest that he could form a platoon with Nori Aoki, Kansas City could make such an alignment work. Nava could receive the bulk of playing time against right-handed pitching because Aoki, despite being a lefty swinger, has much better career numbers versus southpaws. He’s hit lefties at a .337/.410/.404 clip in 2014 and a .311/.363/.396 clip since jumping from Japan’s Nippon Professional Baseball to the Major Leagues.

Detroit’s interest in Nava isn’t entirely surprising, given the fact that Andy Dirks sustained a setback in his rehab from back surgery last week (as reported by MLB.com’s Jason Beck). Dirks reportedly strained his left hamstring, and the Tigers aren’t sure when exactly he will be able to get back into games. As such, Nava presents a solid option against right-handed hitters with solid corner outfield defense — a skill-set not dissimilar to that of Dirks. He could pick up some of Torii Hunter‘s at-bats against right-handed pitching, as the veteran outfielder has seen his numbers against right-handers decline (along with his once highly regarded defense). Hunter is hitting just .257 with a .294 OBP against righties this year, though his .438 slugging percentage and 181 isolated power mark against them are both plenty respectable.

As it stands, the Royals would have first crack at Nava on waivers, as they’re a half-game behind the Tigers in what has become a surprisingly tight AL Central race. Of course, there’s no guarantee that Nava would make it to either club, as he would first need to go unclaimed by the Rangers, Astros, Red Sox, Twins, White Sox, Rays, Indians, Yankees, Blue Jays and Mariners — in that order — to reach either AL Central contender. Nava will be arbitration eligible for just the first time this winter and is under control through the 2017 season, so it’s certainly possible that a different AL club would have interest in claiming him. The Indians, for example, who are just five and a half games back in the division, could claim Nava simply to block their rivals from acquiring him. There’d be little risk for Cleveland, given Nava’s modest $557K salary in 2014.

Sox4ever

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Will Nava Be the Next Shoe to Fall?

Eh he won't get us much other than a F prospect

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

All that does is open up a roster spot, he would bring very little back.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

You guys under estimate the value of a very good platoon player that does very well vs RHPs.

I'm not for trading nava for that reason, but if someone offered us a good prospect, I'd do. It would clear some space for Betts, JBJ and Holt next year (and thye rest of this year).

Sox4ever

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

You guys under estimate the value of a very good platoon player that does very well vs RHPs.

I'm not for trading nava for that reason, but if someone offered us a good prospect, I'd do. It would clear some space for Betts, JBJ and Holt next year (and thye rest of this year).

Sox4ever

I'm with you here moon the only problem is we now have Holt who "if he continues to hit" may play better OF defense and can at least spot start in the IF.  He or Betts could make Nava expendable

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

MLB is definitely hurting for hitters when some teams are interested in Nava for his bat.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

i would deal him for a half decent prospect if someone offered one. That being said, I have no problem with him being a 4th outfielder on this team, the problem is that he should not be a starter. Betts should be starting over him no question about it. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Could be.....Tigers & Royals have interest, STRONG INTEREST< is there any other kind ??

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Why doesn't Nava try to hit lefty when facing lefties?  What's there to lose when his career RH batting avg against lefties is .207?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

In response to chickenandboose's comment:

MLB is definitely hurting for hitters when some teams are interested in Nava for his bat.

Hurting or not, Nava has the 7th best OF'er OBP vs RHPs in MLB since 2010. That has immense value to any team with issues vs righties. Nava has the 4th best OF OBP vs RHPs since 2013.

He currently is second behind Napoli for team OBP vs RHPs at .360. The team has a .312 OBP vs RHPs this year, so I would think he holds a lot of value to us as well. That's why I would never hand him away just "to clear space for Betts & Holt". For a team that has offensive issues, trading away one of your best offensive players vs RHPs makes no sense, unless you get something good in return.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Could be.....Tigers & Royals have interest, STRONG INTEREST< is there any other kind ??

There could be dis-interest.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

I remember after the KC series in which we swept them, talking to a Poster, and he said they were history. Told him their Road record showed they were a tough team, not to count them out.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Sox4ever

+1

This is not a Pierzynski or Drew situation where we need to move a guy just to clear space, even if we get nothing in return...Nava is still useful to us in the right role, so I'd want to get some kind of value back.

[object HTMLDivElement]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to RigatoniT's comment:

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

I remember after the KC series in which we swept them, talking to a Poster, and he said they were history. Told him their Road record showed they were a tough team, not to count them out.

Would u trade Uehara and Napoli for a 26 year old first baseman named Eric Hosmer?

If KC trades for Napoli they owe him about 20 million.  Not going to happen.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

They have pretty good BP, they really don't need Koji with Holland. Would I do it yes.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Would u trade Uehara and Napoli for a 26 year old first baseman named Eric Hosmer?

If KC trades for Napoli they owe him about 20 million.  Not going to happen.

I agree. It's gonna be difficult for the SOX to unload Napoli without eating a lot of his salary. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hosmer's .689 OPS would fit in with our offence a lot better than Napoli's .832 does, that's for sure.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BogieAt12oclock. Show BogieAt12oclock's posts

crazy we all know plenty of WS bound teams are willing to ad a closer as their set-up man at the last minute.... I might be wrong but I believe the overall pen in KC is not so good.... anyhow Uehara would be the sweetener IMO

Last year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Not in 1st place and definitely no WS win.

This year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Last place.

Next year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Not a contender.

In other words, the SOX should sign Koji for next year. I don't think trading the best closer in baseball is a good idea.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Red Sox didn't trade Koji because they intend to re-sign him, or at least give him a QO.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Hosmer's .689 OPS would fit in with our offence a lot better than Napoli's .832 does, that's for sure.

Last year Hosmer won a Gold Glove hit, 302 with 188 hits, had a .801 ops and is much cheaper and younger, you could use him to flip for others, especially with Craig on the team, and his best position is 1st base. Wont happen Napoli too expensive, Moore cheap GM.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

In response to BogieAt12oclock's comment:

crazy we all know plenty of WS bound teams are willing to ad a closer as their set-up man at the last minute.... I might be wrong but I believe the overall pen in KC is not so good.... anyhow Uehara would be the sweetener IMO

Last year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Not in 1st place and definitely no WS win.

This year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Last place.

Next year I asked myself where would the SOX be without Uehara? Answer: Not a contender.

In other words, the SOX should sign Koji for next year. I don't think trading the best closer in baseball is a good idea.

Koji is an Automatic save. I like automatic saves. They are very good on the heart and stress levels. He's a fan's type of closer. Minimal drama. What's not to love.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The Red Sox didn't trade Koji because they intend to re-sign him, or at least give him a QO.

$14M QO for a closer may not happen, but I do think they did not trade Uehara because they expect him back next year.

If did decide to trade Uehara, the Tigers would be the team that needs him most, and right now, KC would not be able to block the deal by claiming him.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Last year Hosmer won a Gold Glove hit, 302 with 188 hits, had a .801 ops and is much cheaper and younger, you could use him to flip for others, especially with Craig on the team, and his best position is 1st base. Wont happen Napoli too expensive, Moore cheap GM.

I would not trade Napoli for another 1Bman.

The only reasons I would trade Napoli are...

1) So Craig can stay healthier by playing 1B instead of OF.

2) So we could improve at another position of higher need like SP, 3B/SS or OF.

3) So we could use his lost salary to upgrade elsewhere this winter.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from therazcreation. Show therazcreation's posts

Nava to Tigers as a package for Miguel Cabrera, LOL> I wish

Angel Nesbitt, a 23 year old right handed pitching prospect who throws in the mid 9os that can top out at 98.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Not saying we should trade Nava or Napoli, but here are some team numbers of some contending teams:

1B OPS:

29th Seattle

25th Milwaukee

24th Kansas City

23rd Pittsburgh

OF vs RHPs:

28th Seattle

27th STL

26th Cincy

Sox4ever

Sections
Shortcuts