will ortiz reach 100 rbi

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: will ortiz reach 100 rbi

100 RBI mark is irrelevant. Papi will contribute significantly and positively to Red Sox scoring.  Papi is a professional hitter and will have a great season, regardless of how many games he plays.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Ortiz will produce consistently no matter what imaginary number of games threshold he passes.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It does not matter how many games he plays because no one can possibly predict his future health or know the number of games that will cause a recurrence of an injury or cause an entirely new injury. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Projecting the future of anything is never very accurate, especially in sports. This season and next season are two entirely discrete events, one having very little bearing on the other.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I think if Ortiz only plays in 100 games he's still got a shot to knock in 100 rbi.

I agree, and would add that if he plays much more than about 110 games then won't get that shot because he'll go on the DL.

It makes more sense that if he gets to 110 or more, it will mean he hasn't gone on the DL.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

DHs don't need a day off a week. It's not like he even runs to 1B anyways.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Ive seen him run hard to 1b quite a few times this year. Not all, but enough to notice. I dont understand you downplaying being a 37yr old DH with 2 bad heels. You act as if he does nothing and doesnt run hard. They need to carefully monitor him this year so they can get as much out of him as possible. IMO, 130-140 games would run him into the ground.

Ive said it before. If we can get about 120 games from papi this year (give or take a few) Ill be more than happy. I agree 100% with giving him the days off so hes fresh for the end of the year. Remember, he couldnt really workout like usual this offseason because of both heels.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I see we're all in agreement here about things we know little about and future events we can't possibly predict. There is no "magic" number of games that is ok for Ortiz. In the meantime, Papi is producing and the Sox are winning. I hope we can agree on that.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Ive seen him run hard to 1b quite a few times this year. Not all, but enough to notice. I dont understand you downplaying being a 37yr old DH with 2 bad heels. You act as if he does nothing and doesnt run hard. They need to carefully monitor him this year so they can get as much out of him as possible. IMO, 130-140 games would run him into the ground.

1) Running to 1B as hard as possible 3-4 times a day is not hard work, even for someone with sore heels.

2) He does not run hard every time. It's a fact. 

3) One game off every 10 scheduled team games is too much. One a week is just posturing for an "I told you so" when softy's hopes are realized.

Papi can play 120-130 games this year without further risking an injury. Yes, he may get hurt, but to think that running to 1B 3-4 times a day is greatly increasing that risk is foolish thinking. If he is indeed that fragile, then just a sneeze could end his career, so what difference does it make how many games we play him?

Ive said it before. If we can get about 120 games from papi this year (give or take a few) Ill be more than happy. I agree 100% with giving him the days off so hes fresh for the end of the year. Remember, he couldnt really workout like usual this offseason because of both heels.

Southie, softy is saying we should continue the current resting plan, but his math (as always) is way off. If we continue to give him a day off every 9 or 10 games, he will end up with way more than the minimum he says he needs to end up at to stay off the DL. He's covering all the bases again on his circle jerk.

Papi has remained remarkedly healthy over the years. he had a serious injury in which he has not fully recovered. If the Sox fall out of contention, I can see him resting more and more, but if we stay in the race, Papi is not going to be sitting once a week, as softy is now advocating (note goal post shift) either by his choice , the team's choice or John's chocie. It is my guess he gets less and less rest as the season progresses. Papi is basically just done with spring training now. 

Keep a watchful eye on the heel, but realize that Papi's job is to sit around for 23 and a half hours a day, stand at the plate 3-5 times a night, and occasionally have to run at various levels of effort 90 to 180 feet. Come on guys! This is not dangerous. To think that having to do this "hard work" 14 out of 15 days instead of 6 out of 7 days is going to significantly increase his chances of serious injury is totally illogical.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In fact, as usual, your math is wrong (See Santana, Wakefield et al). What you don't have a clue about is the issue of age, efficiency of swings and throwing motion, and the physical stress that results from swinging a club or throwing and running everyday. Ortiz has 4 known issues that require him to get regular days off:

Advanced Professional Sports Age

Prior injury and recent injury history (wrists and feet)

"High miles"/many swing repitions over many years  

BMI and physical condition

To submit that swinging a bat many times a day at a high speed isn't a factor because Ortiz doesn't run much or do anyting else is embarrassingly bigoted. A day off from swinging a bat at full speed has huge benefit for an athletic profile like Ortiz.

Pushing for another 20 games is a huge mistake of incompetence!

Swinging a bat is not as hard as many other sports or even some office jobs. It's not something that puts great stress on the heel either.

Obviously you disagree with how hard being a DH is. To me, it is the easiest job in all 4 major sports, including punter and FG kicker. Playing 110 games vs 130 games should not significantly increase the odds of a major injury.

What does Papi do on those days off? Nothing?  Does he take practice swings? Does he jog around to stay loose and in shape? Is this any harder than playing a game? My bet is some players risk injury  or work out harder on their days off than game days, especially if you are  a DH.

As for pushing another 20 games, you have made 2 conflicting statements. First you said they should continue their present plan, which I did the math and showed amounted to 120-130 games (85-90% games played from here on out). Secondly, you changed it to a day off a week- which is not the current plan. It's nice how you cover all the bases. If they play Papi more than 6 times a week and he gets hurt, you'll be gloating all over the site. If they play him what you say they should (note two different numbers) and he still gets hurt, you'll still claim you were right about his fragility.

I seriously doubt the Sox will rest him more than 1 out of 10 games as you think they should. Yes, he may get hurt. Yes, playing him more slightly increases the odds of injury or lower production, but the routine he goes through on his days off are probably pretty close to what he does on game days, so to me playing more will not significantly change anything. If he's a fragile as you think he is, he may get hurt brushing his teeth tonight.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

109 rbi's

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Swinging a bat is not as hard as many other sports or even some office jobs. It's not something that puts great stress on the heel either

You don't have a clue. Siwnging  a bat full speed puts tremendous force on the heels.

He also doesn't swing the bat a few times and then walk out there and swing the bat at full speed. He warms up before the game and before he even gets to the on-deck circle.

Hit 100 balls a day at full speed, with any club, and get back to me after just a few days in arow of doing that.

I've hit more balls in a month that you have in a lifetime.

Again, you missed my point. On the days Papi has off, he is probably doing as much if not more "swinging hard" as he does on a game day.

Why is that so hard to understand. Don't bother answering, clown. We know why: you're an idiot.

Big difference between "85% and 90%". I don't make any conflicting statements. He missed the first part of the season and they will have to increase the days off, not decrease them. His season is compressed, and the current rate would mean about 110 games max.

Since Papi has been back he has played in over 86% of the games, which incuded missing a game of a doubleheader. It will be at about 90% in a few games. You siad earlier that we should continue the "current plan". Well, if you knew a thing about math, you'd know that means .86 x 118= 102 games more. He's played in 25, so that means this...try and follow along... 101 + 25 = 126 games. If he plays in 90%, it's .90 x 118= 106.  106+ 25 = 131

At the "current rate", he's on pace for 125-130 games played. That was your stated position before. Then, you changed it to "sitting one game a week"

Keeping teh same rate does not mean "increasing the days off" in any language I know, but nice try anyways.

They made a mistake in not resting him yesterday, after the night game. He would not have changed the outcome of that game and did not look good after the prior night game.

More absurd one game sample size judgements. You really are a clown.

Your contrarian position is based on the fact that I opposed the 2 year contract because I see Ortiz as a part-time player.

I opposed the contract two, so how is that "contrarian"? What a dope you are!

At the end of the day, the notion that he's a 130 games plus player is utterly absurd. And the latest comment you have started repeating is how durable Ortiz has been in the past. What does the past have anything to do with a player at his age and with his recent injury history. Nothing.

Funny, last year you knew his age, but were fine with a 2 year offer. You even called me a racist for "only offering Papi $11M x 2 with incentives". But, oh yes, you "never change your views"... right.

If they want to get the most out of the 26 million plus, they will rest him regularly and not look for more than 110 games per season, which is asking a lot as it is. If they do, he will go back on the DL as a cronic case. 

...and all your dreams will come true. Your 546 straight wrong position streak will finally come to an end. I must admit, it's kind of a strange position to cling to as your last resort chance to end the streak.

I'd wish you good luck, but that would be sick.

Keep praying for an injury, clown. The rest of us will hope for the best, and not worry if we get this one wrong.