will ortiz reach 100 rbi

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Re: will ortiz reach 100 rbi

Seems like Softy's position is that the more games he plays in, the more likely that he gets hurt. But you can say that about every player in the league. Or in every sport for that matter. Like, the more you put you're name in the basket, the more likely you're gonna win that crappy toaster you don't need. And he would be right in that respect. 

As far as what they need Papi to do IS pretty basic. RBI's. If he's driving in two runs & gets thrown-out at 2B ( for what ever reason ), I'll still take it w/ no complaints. He doesn't need torun if he's hitting homeruns either. I think he's the decision maker when and if he plays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Again, you missed my point. On the days Papi has off, he is probably doing as much if not more "swinging hard" as he does on a game day.

You are truly clueless, with your chidlish invective and prevarications. The point of a day off is not to take full speed swings to allow an old injured body time to both recover some and to reduce the compressed intensity of too many repiitions for an old frame.

Quite wrong to manage Ortiz to play for 130 plus games which would require a compressed intensity that he's been able to handle for years. 

OK, so you must believe on papi's days off, he takes batting practice but doesn't dare swing hard or his fragile body might crumble into dust.

I have you down for brushing Papi's teeth for him on his day's off. Gotcha!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Seems like Softy's position is that the more games he plays in, the more likely that he gets hurt.

Actually, he said something the exact opposite before removing it for absurdity editing. He's been all over the map on this one. 

Even a seemingly simple statement like this is a mind bender:

posted at 5/18/2013 10:55 PM EDT

• softlaw2
    • First: 11/7/2008
    • Last: 5/20/2013

If they limit him to about 100 to 110 games, he has a decent shot at it. If they change the way they are resting him, he'll go back on the DL.

He makes it sound like the Sox need to continue their current rate of resting papi, which amounts to about 125-130 games played this year, but then says anything over 110 is asking for a DL stint.

So, if they don't change the way they are resting him, he'll be OK (125-130) games, but if he gets over 110 games, he'll get hurt.

It's a cricle jerk by the board clown.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

He is going to miss, for all intents and purposes, 9 interleague games in the NL parks. Unlike previous years, where he played a few of those games in the field, he will not be doing so this year. Yeah, he'll get a few pinch hit appearances in those games, but he's going to be limited to 1 AB a game in them. Those are going to be essentially days off.

So he's got about 109 DH starts remaining, which would put him at 134 games played.  He's going to sit a few of those, so he''ll probably finish around 120-125 games plus whatever he get's in the interleague.  Driving in 100 when you only get in 120 or so is a tall order, even for the best hitters.  It's possible, but the odds are no, he won't, even if healthy.  I hope I'm wrong. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

He is going to miss, for all intents and purposes, 9 interleague games in the NL parks. Unlike previous years, where he played a few of those games in the field, he will not be doing so this year. Yeah, he'll get a few pinch hit appearances in those games, but he's going to be limited to 1 AB a game in them. Those are going to be essentially days off.

So he's got about 109 DH starts remaining, which would put him at 134 games played.  He's going to sit a few of those, so he''ll probably finish around 120-125 games plus whatever he get's in the interleague.  Driving in 100 when you only get in 120 or so is a tall order, even for the best hitters.  It's possible, but the odds are no, he won't, even if healthy.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Unless he goes on the DL because of a real injury, I think he'll end up around 130 to 135 games, including the PH days. Ortiz has played 25 games, so that means he could have 105 to 110 of the 118 games that are left.

So far, he has 29 RBIs in 25 games, so he's averaging more than an RBI a game. I don't expect him to keep that pace. Last year, he averaged two RBIs every three games. If he does that the rest of the season and plays 105 to 110 more games, that gives him another 70 to 73 RBIs, which would give hiim 99 to 102 RBIs.

So yes, it's very possible that he'll get to 100 RBIs. Even if he plays a couple of fewer games, he still might have a higher RBI rate.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to illinoisredsox's comment:

That's true. About interleague play. I always forget to factor that in w/ Ortiz. Well, he had a hot start & a mini slump. In 24/25 games= 29 RBI. Whether or not he does, He's on pace. 

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

He should just play in double fur-lined slippers.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Let him use a walker for all I care. Just let the guy swing 3-5 times a night with a day off about once every 3-4 weeks.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If he has to crawl to 1B on all 4's, I still want his bat in the line-up in at least 14 of 15 games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to stapleton's comment:

Ortiz needs to sleep all day and night in a hyperbaric chamber like Michael Jackson did on his days off.

drop tab and enter the isolation tank. All-Star weekend... Shmeekend.

shhma..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

2 rbi closer

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The guy is driving in runs at a much higher rate than any season of his career:

(Small sample size not with standing)

2013: 31/117  .265

2012: 60/383  .157

2011: 96/605  .159

2010: 102/606  .168

2009: 99/627   .158

2008: 89/491  .181

2007: 117/667  .175

2006: 137/686  .200

2005: 148/713  .208

2004: 139/669  .208

2003: 101/509  .198

Yeah, we sure need to start sitting this guy more.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

48 and counting

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

65 and counting....i think he will do it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to stillallbost08's comment:

65 and counting....i think he will do it

Just as long as they don't move Ellsbury out of the number one spot, right Mooney?  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

had to bump this

congrats to Ortiz

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

If they limit him to about 100 to 110 games, he has a decent shot at it. If they change the way they are resting him, he'll go back on the DL.

I think if Ortiz only plays in 100 games he's still got a shot to knock in 100 rbi.

I agree, and would add that if he plays much more than about 110 games then won't get that shot because he'll go on the DL.

_________________________________________________\

You don't have a clue. Siwnging  a bat full speed puts tremendous force on the heels.

He also doesn't swing the bat a few times and then walk out there and swing the bat at full speed. He warms up before the game and before he even gets to the on-deck circle.

Hit 100 balls a day at full speed, with any club, and get back to me after just a few days in arow of doing that.

_____________________________________\

Big difference between "85% and 90%". I don't make any conflicting statements. He missed the first part of the season and they will have to increase the days off, not decrease them. His season is compressed, and the current rate would mean about 110 games max.

____________________________________/

They made a mistake in not resting him yesterday, after the night game. He would not have changed the outcome of that game and did not look good after the prior night game.

______________________________________/

Your contrarian position is based on the fact that I opposed the 2 year contract because I see Ortiz as a part-time player.

________________________________________/

At the end of the day, the notion that he's a 130 games plus player is utterly absurd. And the latest comment you have started repeating is how durable Ortiz has been in the past. What does the past have anything to do with a player at his age and with his recent injury history. Nothing.

______________________________/

If they want to get the most out of the 26 million plus, they will rest him regularly and not look for more than 110 games per season, which is asking a lot as it is. If they do, he will go back on the DL as a cronic case. 

___________________________________/

Yesterday, softy said he claimed Papi should get 120+ games and stay healthy.

Yesterday, he denied he said Papi had lost "his pop".

Then, he said Papi's "pop has declined".

softy defines "pop" as only HRs.

2008  23 HRs (491 PAs)

2009  28 HRs (627)

2010  32 HRs (606)

2011  29 HRs (605)

2012  23 HRs (383)

2013  29 HRs (586)

I'm not a math expert, but I do not see a clear downward trend on HRs or HR rate. 

Sox4ever

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My 99 to 102 RBI-prediction looks pretty good.

And I apologize for being so pessimistic about GP for Ortiz. I had him at 130 to 135 games played. Today, he played his 135th games, so he'll end up at 137 or 138 games.