will PEDRO be a first-balloter? will he get in BEFORE clemens and schill?

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Koolga. Show Koolga's posts

Re: will PEDRO be a first-balloter? will he get in BEFORE clemens and schill?

He should get in on the 1st year he's eligible.  Pedro was a great pitcher, the best there was when he was in his prime.

As far as the other's, I expect it will be a bunch of years for Schilling (if he even gets the support - which he should) and who knows on Clemens (will probably eventually get it - no conviction or admission he used - even though the consensus seems to think he did).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

How many years before he is eligible?  I think he will definitely be a first timer.  He was really in a class of his own in both leagues.  His candid personality doesn't hurt either.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

One can mention Pedro in the same breath as any of the greatest pitchers to ever throw and not feel a twinge of discomfort.  He should be first ballot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It goes without saying that Pedro will be a first ballot Hall of Famer. It is a certainty.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

He should most certainly be forst ballot.  The guy played clean in an era when hitters were monsters...and he dominated them.  Imagine what his stats would have been if roids were not around??  He is the one pitcher I can remember where people would stop what they were doing and cancel all of their plans just to watch him pitch.  Whenever somebody thinks of the best pitcher of all time the first name to pop up is always Sandy Kofax.  Which player has Pedro ALWAYS been compared to?  Sandy Kofax.  The other thing that sometimes goes very un-noticed is the fact that Pedro is a HUGE Humanitarian.  The amount that he gave back to his homeland, the Dominican is honestly the stuff of legend.  He's a class act all around. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If hes not inducted on the 1st ballot, it would be a crime.

Pedro was one of the best pitchers ever in the game who pitched against some of the most jacked and juiced up players in the league and dominated them...That makes him even better than he actually was. If that makes sense.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Pedro was one of the best pitchers ever in the game who pitched against some of the most jacked and juiced up players in the league and dominated them...That makes him even better than he actually was. If that makes sense.

Yup, something is seriously wrong with the process, if Pedro isn't voted in the first time.

And your point makes a lot of sense.

There's no other pitcher that's done as well, while facing batters at the height of the PED frenzy.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

My papa grew up a Dodger fan, and is staunchly in the Koufax Greatest of All Time camp.  But, he readily concedes that the only pitcher he has ever seen who could give prime Sandy a run for his money was prime Pedro.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:

My papa grew up a Dodger fan, and is staunchly in the Koufax Greatest of All Time camp.  But, he readily concedes that the only pitcher he has ever seen who could give prime Sandy a run for his money was prime Pedro.

I dont think there are but a couple of names that can be compared to Koufax. One being Pedro.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tom-uk. Show tom-uk's posts

He obviously didn't juice he is in 1st ballot!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

ok, i'm going say this point blank... team allegiance aside,  if Pedro doesn't go first ballot someone is holding a serious grudge... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from phxvlsoxfan. Show phxvlsoxfan's posts

Hard to predict anything around HOF voting in this tainted era, but I think we will have a better idea next year on how Tom Glavine is treated.  I hope Glavine is differentiated from the suspected steriod users, and becomes a first ballot electee.  That would increase the odds that the same will be true for #45.  Simply, Pedro was amoung the best 3 pitchers of his era, and if he doesn't get on the first ballot, the HOF voting is an absolute joke.

As for Schill, he's more of a borderline HOF case anyway.  I could see it taking 5 or more years for him to get in, and I would not be totally surprised if he never gets in.  Clemens (and Bonds) are another story all together

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

One can mention Pedro in the same breath as any of the greatest pitchers to ever throw and not feel a twinge of discomfort.  He should be first ballot.

+1

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to hill55's comment:

+1

+100

Pedro could be on the cover of a register of HOF players.

He dominated in an era of bashers, mashers, and PED cheaters.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:

some could point to pedro as the anti-schilling when it came to the playoffs... plus the yanks were his daddy... just sayin!

Not like 6-4  3.46 (1.080 WHIP) is a bad playoff line.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to COMMIE-CONTRARIAN's comment:

some could point to pedro as the anti-schilling when it came to the playoffs... plus the yanks were his daddy... just sayin!

Point taken.  He had his share of playoff hiccups.  And he was no Schilling, or, more to the point, Koufax, when it came to PS performance.

But, 6-4, 3.46, 1.080 is not to shabby.  Shouldn't affect his legacy.  

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In response to ThefourBs's comment:

In response to southpaw777's comment:

Yup, something is seriously wrong with the process, if Pedro isn't voted in the first time.

And your point makes a lot of sense.

There's no other pitcher that's done as well, while facing batters at the height of the PED frenzy.

There will always be sportswriters that will not vote for someone simply because they don't like him, and I imagine it will be the same for Pedro. These guys have big egos and if they get bruised by a player, it is not forgiven.

Now, I don't know if there is any specific writer that Pedro dissed but I'll bet there are a few that just don't like him for some reason. At any rate, he should go in one the first ballot.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

He is a fist ballot inductee and goes in long before Clemens. It is unlikely Shillings sees the Hall unless Jack Morris gets in.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Pedro vs. The Garbage Pail Kids and Pedro wins.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Helloitsmeagain. Show Helloitsmeagain's posts

I think pedro gets in first ballot.

But I think a strong case can be made for Mussina before shilling

http://yanksinexile.com/mussina-has-a-hall-worthy-case/

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

I am a big believer in the premise of the first ballot being only for special players. Pedro was special and should and almost certainly will be a first ballot selection. I think Greg Maddux is another example.

I wish the voters  were more focused on greatness vs longevity. What if Justin Verlander at his Cy Young winning ceremony next year got into a fist fight with CC Sabathia. Miguel Cabrera in the process of breaking up the fight crushed Verlander, pulled Sabathia's  arm out of its socket and  Cabrera felt guilty, gained 200 pounds and became a budist monk? None of them get into the HOF?

Who has been more important to the game of baseball, those 3 or Bert Blyleven? Who is greater? More historic? Who do you want remembered? Who do you want your kids to read about? Who is more interesting? Who was more valuable to the game? On what basis other then longevity stats does Blyleven get in and those three not?

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts