Will Red Sox try the Splitsville approach to leadoff with Nava/Gomes?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Will Red Sox try the Splitsville approach to leadoff with Nava/Gomes?

Nava and Gomes have each been put in the leadoff spot in spring games.

Nava has a career .390 OBP against RHP.

Gomes has a career .377 OBP against LHP.

Neither have much speed.

Can the Splitsville approach be the solution to the Sox leadoff situation?  Based on OBP alone it looks great.  How much does the lack of speed offset the OBP advantage?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Re: Will Red Sox try the Splitsville approach to leadoff with Nava/Gomes?

Given his reputation as "a very good-heads up" base-runner, I'm ok with giving Gomes a look as our LO HITTER.  When Nava is playing, his OBP certainly makes a case for putting him as the LO.  it's tough, as we certainly lack any speed game now that Ells is gone.  Vic still may be our best option, but I'm not sure I want to put that speed & aggresive baserunning pressure on him given his aging body.  I'm hoping that XB steps up & makes a strong case for the LO spot at some point during the season.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

I actually have been touting this one for a while now (that's right....pat me on the back).  I think Nava would be our best option at LO.  He was #15 in ALL OF BASEBALL last season for OBP.  Plus he is a workhorse.  If he's given a job he works his tail off to be the best that he can possibly be.  I think at times when Nava sits then Gomes can be a good option as well. 

Personally I am hoping that JBJ can get his bat going this season and make a case for him to leadoff.  He has always been very good in the OBP cattegory.  Im not getting my hopes up on that one though.  Didn't like what I saw from him against better pitchers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

Both could produce high OBPs and 20+ HRs combined at leadoff spot.  But their baserunning skills and speeds are remain to be seen.  It could affect some runs.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to seannybboi's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Both could produce high OBPs and 20+ HRs combined at leadoff spot.  But their baserunning skills and speeds are remain to be seen.  It could affect some runs.  

[/QUOTE]

Having Ellsbury's speed at the top of the lineup was nice.

But, with guys like Victorino, Pedey and Ortiz behind them, Gomes and Nava should stilll be able to score a lot of runs.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

while it was fun watching ellsbury bop around the base paths in 2013....Titles have actually been won without having a speedy basestealing threat batting leadoff......

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Victorino is the most logical choice to leadoff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily.  His career OBP vs. RHP is .329.  Nava's is .390.  That's a big difference.

Victorino has been a #2 hitter for the lion's share of his career.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I dont necassarily agree either.  Vic was very solid for us at the 2 spot and is a very good contact hitter to help move runners along and put them in scoring position for Pedey and Papi.  To me a lineup of:

Nava

Vic

Pedey

Papi

Napps

WMB

Boggy

AJ

JBJ

is a very solid lineup top to bottom.  Not a lot of LH in that bunch though which could expose them to some issues however. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

Without speed or the threat of it at lead-off. Victorino will get pitched differently. A lot less fastballs. Actually he should try to turn around and bat from left side to try to help baserunner. Didn't have to worry about that with Ellsbury speed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamminjim. Show jamminjim's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Neither have much speed.

Can the Splitsville approach be the solution to the Sox leadoff situation?  Based on OBP alone it looks great.  How much does the lack of speed offset the OBP advantage?

[/QUOTE]   NO !!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Love shaking up the traditional notion that you have to have your speed guy at the top.  OBP really is the only must.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I'm fine with the Nava/Gomes platoon in the leadoff slot, but ideally, we'd be be helped if they could bat 6th and "lengthen the line-up".

I doubt JBJ can be our leadoff hitter this year, and putting Victorino up first creates a hole in the 2 slot. I guess we could do this...

1) Victorino

2) Pedey

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava/Gomes

6) Bogey

7) Middy

8) AJ P

9) JBJ

...but I'd prefer Nava/Gomes up first.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm fine with the Nava/Gomes platoon in the leadoff slot, but ideally, we'd be be helped if they could bat 6th and "lengthen the line-up".

I doubt JBJ can be our leadoff hitter this year, and putting Victorino up first creates a hole in the 2 slot. I guess we could do this...

1) Victorino

2) Pedey

3) Ortiz

4) Napoli

5) Nava/Gomes

6) Bogey

7) Middy

8) AJ P

9) JBJ

...but I'd prefer Nava/Gomes up first.

[/QUOTE]

I think that is as good a lineup as we can get at this point. Where Bogaerts, Middlebrooks and Bradley end up will depend on how well they hit as the season progresses.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm pretty sure there's a reason Nava has been hitting leadoff in these spring games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure there's a reason Nava has been hitting leadoff in these spring games.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, a better OBP than Jacoby.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]

Neither have much speed.

Can the Splitsville approach be the solution to the Sox leadoff situation? Based on OBP alone it looks great. How much does the lack of speed offset the OBP advantage?

[/QUOTE]

Speed, or lack thereof, should not be much of a consideration for the lead off hitter. For the lead off spot, OBP is king, period. Sure, if you have two guys with very similar OBPs, then you go with the guy with speed. But, you take the guy with the high OBP and no speed over the guy with a lot of speed and mediocre OBP any day of the week. In short, the lack of speed does not hurt the OBP advantage.

Rickey Henderson is considered one of the greatest, if not the greatest, lead off hitter ever. Most people think he was so great in that spot because of his base stealing ability. In truth, it was his ability to get on base that made him so good.

Traditional wisdom tells you that the leadoff guy has to have speed. Speed is actually best used in front of your weaker hitters at the bottom of the order. The guys at the top of the order do not need to rely on speed and small ball tactics to get the runners home.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Farrell has said this spring that he is going to take a long look at a Nava/Gomes platoon at the top of the order.  Nava for the obvious reasons & Gomes has a lot of patience at the plate, sees some pitches and usually has the kind of "quality" at bat you look for in a leadoff hitter.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to jasko2248's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Farrell has said this spring that he is going to take a long look at a Nava/Gomes platoon at the top of the order.  Nava for the obvious reasons & Gomes has a lot of patience at the plate, sees some pitches and usually has the kind of "quality" at bat you look for in a leadoff hitter.  

[/QUOTE]

Gomes has a .377 career OBP vs LHPs.

Jacoby has a .343 career OBP vs LHPs.

Nava has a .390career OBP vs RHPs.

Hacoby has a .353 career OBP vs RHPs.

I'm not trying to say OBP totally makes up for great speed at the top of the line-up, but if we can get a .385 OBP from our leadoff slot platoon, we could gain about 35-40 points on what Jacoby gave us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

if it wasnt for ortiz' bad heel he would be leadoff.....

why do we still have this guy on our roster???