Will Sox trade before deadline?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

Will Sox trade before deadline?

I know its early to think about it. Will Sox pick up a bat or an arm?

I wouldn't mind getting Vladdie Guerrero or Derrick Lee from Baltimore if they are out of it.

Obviously King Felix would be a pipe-dream, but Erik Bedard would be a nice 5th guy to round out the staff.

Or a closer such as Frank Francisco from Blue Jays if they are out of it?

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

Re: Will Sox trade before deadline?

Get back to me in late June when team needs become more clear and we have an idea of who should be available.

My first reaction is a pen arm, but we have plenty of options in house already.  I would say that we need to address the catching situation, though Salty's bat seems to be coming around, and it's too early to make a definitive judgement on that.

Oh, and I've heard somewhere that we need to get a young RH OF Tongue out.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Will Sox trade before deadline?:
    [QUOTE]Get back to me in late June when team needs become more clear and we have an idea of who should be available. My first reaction is a pen arm, but we have plenty of options in house already.  I would say that we need to address the catching situation, though Salty's bat seems to be coming around, and it's too early to make a definitive judgement on that. Oh, and I've heard somewhere that we need to get a young RH OF  .
    Posted by JB-3[/QUOTE]

Agreed, catching is turning out to be their glaring weakness. They have the other bases covered. They just need for people to play up to their potential. It looks like they may finally be getting it together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I feel pretty confident that they won't be fishing for a vet bat like Vlad or D Lee.  No need or space really (barring injuries).  And i will hold out my judgement on the catching situation, as Salty has shown me just enough glimpses over the past week that I am, perhaps idiotically, holding out hope that he is developing into a major league calibre player, however slowly.  I'll get back to you in June on that. 

Of course, there is always room for a bullpen arm, even if Jenks and Wheeler get it together.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

In Response to Will Sox trade before deadline?:
    [QUOTE]I know its early to think about it. Will Sox pick up a bat or an arm? I wouldn't mind getting Vladdie Guerrero or Derrick Lee from Baltimore if they are out of it. Obviously King Felix would be a pipe-dream, but Erik Bedard would be a nice 5th guy to round out the staff. Or a closer such as Frank Francisco from Blue Jays if they are out of it? Thoughts?
    Posted by beavis[/QUOTE]

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

We could use another firstbaseman because right now only Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, and Lowrie can play there.  And Gonzalez should already have hit 30 or 40 dingers by now, but he hasn't. 

Two weeks ago, I would have said a catcher, but right now Tek and Salty don't look too bad. 

I absolutely can't see any space for another bat because the only truly bad ones belong to the two catchers, and they are hitting better right now--plus handling the pitchers pretty well.  Cameron just might be a decent righty bat to back up Drew. 

Three really good starters would be nice, but we already have five who don't, collectively, look half bad.  Plus Wake.  Francona says Wheeler and Jenks, both lousy so far, will be fine, so I don't see a bullpen arm either.

Theo just might stand pat.  He never should have let Masterson go to get V-Mart, who's already gone. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ConcernTroll. Show ConcernTroll's posts

[QUOTE]We could use another firstbaseman because right now only Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, and Lowrie can play there.  And Gonzalez should already have hit 30 or 40 dingers by now, but he hasn't.  Two weeks ago, I would have said a catcher, but right now Tek and Salty don't look too bad.  I absolutely can't see any space for another bat because the only truly bad ones belong to the two catchers, and they are hitting better right now--plus handling the pitchers pretty well.  Cameron just might be a decent righty bat to back up Drew.  Three really good starters would be nice, but we already have five who don't, collectively, look half bad.  Plus Wake.  Francona says Wheeler and Jenks, both lousy so far, will be fine, so I don't see a bullpen arm either. Theo just might stand pat.  He never should have let Masterson go to get V-Mart, who's already gone. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[QUOTE]We could use another firstbaseman because right now only Gonzalez, Youkilis, Ortiz, and Lowrie can play there.  And Gonzalez should already have hit 30 or 40 dingers by now, but he hasn't.  Two weeks ago, I would have said a catcher, but right now Tek and Salty don't look too bad.  I absolutely can't see any space for another bat because the only truly bad ones belong to the two catchers, and they are hitting better right now--plus handling the pitchers pretty well.  Cameron just might be a decent righty bat to back up Drew.  Three really good starters would be nice, but we already have five who don't, collectively, look half bad.  Plus Wake.  Francona says Wheeler and Jenks, both lousy so far, will be fine, so I don't see a bullpen arm either. Theo just might stand pat.  He never should have let Masterson go to get V-Mart, who's already gone. 

I personally don't agree with the Never Should Have Given Up Masterson for VMart line of thinking.  It is easy to say now, with Justin starting the season in outstanding fashion.  But a. I am not sure that success is bound to stick, b. Justin in the summer of 09 was starting to get a bit stale in his development and c. the Sox had to make a move for a good bat to make a playoff push in 09, VMart was the prize of the deadline class.  And, while I have no empirical evidence to support this claim, I am not sure they make the playoffs without Victor that year.  He was really good down the stretch, revitalized the offense.  Yes, it was giving up the potential future for the immediate, but thats what trade deadline moves are almost always about.  Masterson was no Casey Kelly at that point in his journey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Sox trade before deadline? : I personally don't agree with the Never Should Have Given Up Masterson for VMart line of thinking.  It is easy to say now, with Justin starting the season in outstanding fashion.  But a. I am not sure that success is bound to stick, b. Justin in the summer of 09 was starting to get a bit stale in his development and c. the Sox had to make a move for a good bat to make a playoff push in 09, VMart was the prize of the deadline class.  And, while I have no empirical evidence to support this claim, I am not sure they make the playoffs without Victor that year.  He was really good down the stretch, revitalized the offense.  Yes, it was giving up the potential future for the immediate, but thats what trade deadline moves are almost always about.  Masterson was no Casey Kelly at that point in his journey.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus[/QUOTE]

Not to mention that Masterson would not be doing as well as he is currently had he stayed in Boston simply because he wouldn't be a starting pitcher.  Do you really have a problem with giving up a bullpen arm for a year and a half of VMart?  I'm still more disappointed that they gave up Hagadone, we'll see how that plays out.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from JamaicaPlain67. Show JamaicaPlain67's posts

I only undelined the most ridiculous but all of the post makes no sense at all. Were you drunk when you wrote this?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

I think the O's will be buyers, not sellers.
    Let's hope we are in the same position.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will Sox trade before deadline? : I only undelined the most ridiculous but all of the post makes no sense at all. Were you drunk when you wrote this?
    Posted by JamaicaPlain67[/QUOTE]

He left out Salty as well as someone with experience playing 1B.between that comment and the AGon one, I took the post as a joke.

Sections
Shortcuts