Re: Will The Ghost of Theo Epstein Ruin The 2012 Season?
posted at 10/21/2011 12:37 PM EDT
In Response to Re: Will The Ghost of Theo Epstein Ruin The 2012 Season?
[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will The Ghost of Theo Epstein Ruin The 2012 Season? : I've been ripping Theo Epstein for five years? Wrong. I've called for Theo Epstein's firing from day one. But okay, I'll play along. How have the Red Sox done with Theo in full control of Sox player personnel decisions in the last 5 years? 2006 - Epstein trashed the 2004 WS champs who could have easily repeated in '05. Lucchino retakes the reigns, brings in Lowell and Beckett. 2007 - Red Sox win the World Series, powered by Manny, Lowell and Beckett, players Theo had NO role in bringing here. 2008 - Theo rules Sox with an iron fist, botches the offseason deal for Johan Santana by refusing to trade Buchholz, runs Manny out of town to LA where Manny hit .500 and carried the Dodgers into the playoffs by himself. Sox LOSE the ALCS while the best pitcher in MLB in 2008 and the best hitter in MLB the 2nd half of 2008 are watching on television. 2009 - The start of Theo's bridge to nowhere. 2010 - Another fruitless season. 2011 - The collapse of the Red Sox and the grand opening of Lackey's Chicken and Beer Shack in the Red Sox dugout. ALL on Theo's watch. And I was nice...not mentioning the BOTCHED deals for Teixiera, Theo losing Roy Halladay TWICE, Theo botching the VMart deal that would have gotten us Cliff Lee if Theo had thrown in Buchholz, Theo botching the VMart deal that got VMart to Detroit and the Red Sox another season of Varitek, the Lackey signing, Carl Crawford, Matt Clement, Wade Miller, Brad Penny, Eric Gagne, John Smoltz, Wily Mo Pena, Bill Hall, botching the Beltre deal, the Mike Lowell disaster, Jason Bay, JD Drew, Ramon Ramirez...Boof Bonser, Julio Lugo, Edgar Renteria... Getting the picture yet?
Posted by OurMan[/QUOTE]
Wow, where to start ...
So you consider the following failures of Theo:
1) Not signing Pedro to a 4 year contract in which he averaged just over 100 IP / year with the Mets. (The Sox received Buchholz as a compensation pick, who is now the centerpiece of all your trade proposals).
2) Not re-signing Lowe after posting a 5.32 ERA in 2004.
3) Not re-signing Orlando Cabrera, who can't seem to stay anywhere more than a year (Jacoby Ellsbury compensation pick, by the way)
4) Not trading Buchholz (who you wouldn't have had to trade to begin with - see #1) for Johan Santana and the chance to sign him to a 6 yr / $140M deal?
5) Trading Manny after his team-mates voted him off the team by a 24-1 vote? You do realize that immediately after Manny's 'surge' came three positive tests for PEDs - do you think maybe he had something to prove?
6) Our 1B, who is hitting 85 points higher than the Carlos Pena clone that Mark Teixeira has become in recent years.
7) Signing Beltre to a one-year deal where he was paid 20% of his value, and we received Blake Swihart when he walked?
If you truly consider these failures, what more is there to discuss?