Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

Thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Re: Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

Are you a manic-depressive?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias

SPC ...

Sent a post earlier, I guess it got lost when the server went down.

I like your thinking.  It's positive.  I've always liked Jed but this kid just can't seem to get a break (unless it's a bad one).  Now he's healthy and ready for prime time.  He's the bat that Iglesias isn't (at leas not yet). 

At the very first thought, I thunnk to my self, well, Jed has other IF spots to play, too ...

Then the brain shivered with excitement ....  remembering Pedey, Adrian and Youk .... poor Jed.  Maybe.  He'll be able to cover our IF and be a super utilityman.

What a terrible pity for us Red Sox fans.  We'll just have to suffer through Gold Gloves at 1st, 2nd, & 3rd ... with Igg coming up and Jed to support ... wahhhhhhh.

Don't ya love it?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

Im not totally convienced that Iglesias can hit at the major league level.  Lowrie can hit and play an average SS.  We all know Iglesias is above avg. on defense, but this team does not need a player hitting .200 all season in the nine hole.

Iglesias will get his shot, it will depend on how strong his 2012 spring training is and how he developes as a hitter.

I like Lowrie's versatility and he is valuable anywhere in the infield.  Iglesias' sept. call up will show how much hes developed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

The Red Sox will use either player as trade bait. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jb12bb. Show jb12bb's posts

I dont think either of them get traded this season.  If they feel they need another SP, I could see an offseason trade.

Right now Lowrie is to important and Iglesias still needs to develope.  The more he developes in the minors the better his trade value will be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hetchinspete. Show Hetchinspete's posts

First it's way too early for such speculation. Iglesias maybe the next great defensive whiz, but if he can't hit for average we don't want him in a lineup that already has a dead spot at #9 with Salty, although if he continues as he has so far, his days are numbered in Boston.

Both do have trade value, but I'd rather keep them both. If Iglesias can hit major league pitching, use Lowrie as a super sub in the infield, possibly outfield if he has the ability, or maybe I'm nuts but Drews contract is up, put him in right field. At 27 Lowrie still young and could learn the right field position as he's a good athlete, and his bat has enough pop that he will consistantly produce atleast what Drew has and probably more.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]doesn't necessarily have to be...Lowrie defends and hits....those guys always get first look..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias : doesn't necessarily have to be...Lowrie defends and hits....those guys always get first look..
    Posted by jete02fan[/QUOTE]plus there's no telling what a year could bring...injury, regression, trade....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

In Response to Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]Thoughts?
    Posted by SoxPatsCelts1988[/QUOTE]
    The chances that both will play in a future All Star game are slim.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Road-Warrior. Show Road-Warrior's posts

[QUOTE]Thoughts?

Yeah
    You still have the Sox winning 114 games?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BaseballGM. Show BaseballGM's posts

Lowrie has a pop up wind blown double that he turned into a single by loafing. He should not be starting v. most RH starting pitching. The Lowrie craze will be short lived.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sunslav. Show sunslav's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias:
    [QUOTE]Lowrie has a pop up wind blown double that he turned into a single by loafing. He should not be starting v. most RH starting pitching. The Lowrie craze will be short lived.
    Posted by BaseballGM[/QUOTE]

Your silence is deafening on the Jake HR, why is that?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from stormcrow7878. Show stormcrow7878's posts

I think Lowrie has the potential to be a solid MLB player.... but he has yet to do ANYTHING that would indicate he will ever be an all-star player. That's just fishing.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

Lowrie has the highest OPS, over 1.100,  on the team right now.  Last year his OPS was over .900.   A bat like that needs to be in the lineup. 

Iglesias, meanwhile, is hitting .286 at Pawtucket with no extra base hits and an ops of .641.  I think it a reasonable supposition that in the Bigs his OPS right now would be under .600 and very possibly under .500. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LS350. Show LS350's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias : The chances that both will play in a future All Star game are slim.
    Posted by hill55[/QUOTE]

Now that the mush has predicted it, the chances are 0.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from cglassanos. Show cglassanos's posts

Will you get hit by a bus tomorrow or die 50 years from now toothless, old, and asleep in bed?

Who gives a _ _ _ _!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tropical-Nation. Show Tropical-Nation's posts

unless Papi has a monster year there will be a need for a platoon DH next season.....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]Thoughts?

Until Iglesias shows that he can actually hit (and no, hitting .285/.315/.357 in AA) is not acceptable, I'll assume that he won't be up until 2013 at the earliest.  There's not a controversy between the two players; just like there's not really a controversy between Scutaro and Lowrie.  We're talking about very small sample sizes so far. 

Also, calling the two players future All-Stars is like calling Omar Infante an All-Star.  Yeah, it happened, but is he really an All-Star caliber player?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

The real competition is between Navarro and Iglesias, IMO.  at least this year.  Navarro deserves AAA playing time.  Iglesias, maybe not.  Navarro is supposed to be a plus defender and looks to have a MLB bat.  Maybe it will be Navarro pushing Lowrie next year. 

I actually like the idea of Lowrie learning to play the OF, either to complete his utility value, or looking to fight for an OF spot.  Unfortunately, those types of transitions usually happen earlier in a player's development.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Meanwhile, Lowrie is raking as I type.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan791. Show redsoxfan791's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the Sox have a SS controversy between 2 future All Stars in 2012? Lowrie vs. Iglesias : Iglesias is at AAA, but the other PawSox SS is hitting .342 / .444 / .526 / .971.   I don't understand why Navarro is always over-looked.
    Posted by slomag[/QUOTE]

I was quoting his 2010 AA numbers.  He hasn't accumulated anywhere near the number of PAs to even consider his AAA numbers.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

[QUOTE]The real competition is between Navarro and Iglesias, IMO.  at least this year.  Navarro deserves AAA playing time.  Iglesias, maybe not.  Navarro is supposed to be a plus defender and looks to have a MLB bat.  Maybe it will be Navarro pushing Lowrie next year.
    Posted by parhunter1[/QUOTE]

Navarro doesn't have a MLB bat.... yet.  Look at his performance last September, he's still a work in progress although he certainly has potential.  If Navarro forces his way onto the roster for 2012 with a very strong performance in AAA this year, we could see Youk or Lowrie moved to DH with the other at 3B and Navarro as a utility IF.  This of course assumes that Lowrie continues where he left off from the 2010 season.

I think the most likely outcome for Navarro is a trade though.

Navarro has been playing 3B this year, which may provide some insight as to the FO's plans.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am always entertained by the whims and fantasies of Red Sox Nation.

Players are considered "future All Stars" as soon as they have a good week.

Players are considered "future All Stars" before they ever play a game in the majors.

Sometimes one good at bat leads "knee-jerk reaction brigade" to ask that this player be considered for the Hall of Fame.

File this controversy under the category of 'Wishful thinking.'

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

Lowrie's numbers are inflated right now with a big hot streak but he is showing why the RS were high on him.

I tend to doubt that Lowrie will be the long term future for the RS at SS as he really is a 2B being blocked by the Laser Show. While he is not awful at SS he is limited in his range.

But I felt he had a good shot at taking major PT away from Scutaro in ST and turns out he is making his bid right now when the RS needed it.

Iglesias as some have noted certainly has some work to do on his offense and if Lowrie's offense is what the RS think it is (good OBP - gap power) it simply gives the RS the luxury of not having to rush Iglesias into MLB or sign another bridge player like Scutaro for 2012.

Sections
Shortcuts