Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?

You have to Factor in the Francona factor.....Tito always has to make sure everyone gets their playing time....he is fanatical about it....sometimes to the detriment of the team.....that said.....he will probably give Papi two starts at 1b, one in the first series one in the last.....he will figure the rest will do Gonzo good....since he has played everyday.....Papi will get a pinch hit appearance in most of the other games.....I cannot see anyway that we will see Gonzalez in the outfield....let alone Ortiz.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?

In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?:
    [QUOTE]You have to Factor in the Francona factor.....Tito always has to make sure everyone gets their playing time....he is fanatical about it....sometimes to the detriment of the team.....that said.....he will probably give Papi two starts at 1b, one in the first series one in the last.....he will figure the rest will do Gonzo good....since he has played everyday.....Papi will get a pinch hit appearance in most of the other games.....I cannot see anyway that we will see Gonzalez in the outfield....let alone Ortiz.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's ridiculous how he makes sure his bench players get playing time. If he was a real manager, he would let the rot on the bench. I mean, if they were real ballplayers, they'd be starters.

And imagine -- a manager tries to make sure a player with a 1.010 OPS stays sharp. He should be fired for even thinking about getting that player in a game.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from REBEL. Show REBEL's posts

In Response to Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?:
    [QUOTE]One would think that the Sox would not want to sit one of their two hottest hitters for nin straight games agains NL teams when they hit the road later this week. Drew has been a waste so far and it would take a lot of pop out of us for him to be in games rather than papi. Of course, ortiz is not gonzo at first and he could probably not be put in the outfield. gonzalez might be another matter
    Posted by bosox4[/QUOTE]

The days are long gone when you could put anyone with a decent arm in the outfield!  Adrian is an all star !B!  Do you want to risk him getting hurt at a position he is not used to?  Makes no sense to me!  So, Papi pinchhits in 9 games, so what?  And, if we get a big lead now and then, put him in at 1B!
    This is not a way to overcome the Drew shortfall...Reddick is!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from CORRADJ. Show CORRADJ's posts

Sox have played Youk in LF before, and he's not much faster than A-Gon. With Crawford on the DL anyway, there's an opportunity there to play A-Gon in left. There's no way you can bench a hitter like Ortiz for 9 games. They'll figure something out.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams? : No secret to what Tito will say. It will be simple. He'll just say the truth. A-Gon has played every game, and it's a long season so it's not a bad idea to find a chance to ease up on him a bit. And the way Ortiz has been going, it's not a good idea to limit him to PH for nine games. All of this is the truth. That's why I see Ortiz getting the middle start of each series and playing about seven innings. Give or take. If he bats in the seventh, then Gonzo can come in to play the bottom of the seventh and be in for three innings. Barring blowouts -- and there very well could be a few -- but in nine games, I could see both players playing in nine games. And of the 81 innings, I figure Ortiz will play about 27 innings (21 in three starts and six as PH). That will be about 15 to 18 at-bats in starts plus six as PH, depending on if he gets three or four at-bats (or plate appearances). A-Gon will play in 63 IP. (Nine innings in six starts for 54, plus three -- 7-8-9 -- in three games coming off the bench for nine innings). So I don't see it as a big deal by reducing A-Gon's work load by 18 innings and 15 to 18 at-bats over a nine-game stretch.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Highlighting your comment'

And of the 81 innings, I figure Ortiz will play about 27 innings (21 in three starts and six as PH). That will be about 15 to 18 at-bats in starts plus six as PH, depending on if he gets three or four at-bats (or plate appearances)

I didn't know they now play 7 innings in the  major leagues. 27 innings would be three starts.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

Ortiz should be pinch hitting for a pitcher pretty much every game, during this time if it's a blowout he should be inserted into 1st base (either way) to get more ABs. If you're Terry, you don't want Ortiz to sit for more than a week and come back and have his timing even slightly off. He should also play for Gonzo at least once. If you're going to rest Gonzo at all this year, it makes sense to be doing it at a time when doing so would be the only way to get Ortiz in the lineup.

With that said, Gonzo's been our MVP this year, you don't sit him with any frequency.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

ROYF19....I wasnt taking a shot at Tito....thats why I said "sometimes" to the detriment of the team....I was just stating a fact that he plays everyone and he makes sure that everyone stays sharp....so there is no way he lets Ortiz sit 9 games as just a pinch hitter and he will get him 2 starts.....which you seem to agree with.....so maybe it would help if you read the whole post rather than just the first 18 words.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Adrian has player RF once in his career and that was with Texas 4 chances 3 PO and 1 E and never in the minors.  So I'd say the OF is out.
    They have an off day after this series and then one in between Pitts and Philly but none before Houston.
    First the idiot who put this schedule together should be shot.

So you can not have both sitting for too long. I'd surmise that Adrian will play games 1-3 and 1-3 and 1-3. Keeps both in the game.
    Have to realize Papi is more used to not playing than Adrian and sitting a little extra may not urt him as much.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wlbpatriotsfan. Show wlbpatriotsfan's posts

NESN is reporting that Francona is seriously considering playing Gonzalez in right field in the upcoming National League games. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxmeister. Show soxmeister's posts

Gonzo gets all those badly thrown Youk and Scuts throws, Papi on first will be an adventure this time around.   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[QUOTE] I'm not sure why everyone says ortiz is a horrible fielder.Over the course of his career,he has a .989 fielding percentage according to baseball-reference.com :              G GS CG Inn Ch  PO    A E  DP Fld% 13 Seasons 1B 248 236 155 1951.0 1957 1782 154 21  154   .989
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

Exactly.  It is a myth created because he just doesn't play that much.  Remember WS 2004?  Papi threw across the diamond to nail the pitcher wandering off third base.  Papi is no Agon but we will be fine with him at 1B for 1 game each series on the road.  I'd be more worried about the pitchers hitting...see Josh Beckett.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]ROYF19....I wasnt taking a shot at Tito....thats why I said "sometimes" to the detriment of the team....I was just stating a fact that he plays everyone and he makes sure that everyone stays sharp....so there is no way he lets Ortiz sit 9 games as just a pinch hitter and he will get him 2 starts.....which you seem to agree with.....so maybe it would help if you read the whole post rather than just the first 18 words.
    Posted by tomnev[/QUOTE]

I read your whole post. If I answered to abrupt for your meaning, I apologize. There is a poster on this board that uses "Francona Factor" in a derogatory manner, so when you begin a post with that phrase you're going to come across in a negative light.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from b126962. Show b126962's posts

I think they should think about it. I say in games one and three of each series Gonzo plays first and Ortiz pinch hits for the pitcher when either Francona decides he needs to pull the pitcher or it is late in the game and they need Papi's bat. If they want Papi to stay in the game, they put him at first, Gonzalez in left, Reddick/DMac in right and give Drew some rest. In game two in Philly and Pittsburg, you put Papi at first, Gonzo in left and DMac in right. In game two at Houston, you play Papi at first and save Gonzo for pinch hitting for the pitcher so he won't complain about not playing in 162.
     But if Gonzo gets injured chasing a fly ball full bore, (for him, anyways) then we are screwed

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams? : That' s more PT than I think Papi will get but we will see... Gonzalez hasn't had a day off so it will be a good time to get him at least one day off but more than that? It is hard to trade the slightly better bat and way better glove work too often.
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

I think he has the 2nd longest, active, playing streak.  Because of this I don't think they will sit him.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams? : I think he has the 2nd longest, active, playing streak.  Because of this I don't think they will sit him.
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

In my scenario, he'll play in all the games. He just won't start three of them because you have to know that if Ortiz does start any game at 1B, Gonzalez will come in to play in the late innings for defense.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Tito...............

"We actually talked to him about that a little bit," Francona said. "I guess the best answer I can give you is we'll see. I'm glad he's willing to do it. I think it's admirable. I don't want David to sit nine straight games. That bothers me. I guess the best thing I can tell you is we'll see. Maybe couple times, just to kind of get David where he doesn't go 10 days without playing, because that worries me.

"And Gonzie I know has done it in winter ball. And there are a few right fields on this trip that aren't huge, so we'll see. That's the best way I can say it. It's gotta work though, you know, where I don't want to outsmart myself. We'll see."

Gonzo ..................

"I wouldn't say it's willingness, but the fact that I've done it before," he said. "If I was approached on it, and Tito wanted to do it for a couple games, I'd be OK with it. I'm not an outfielder, and I wasn't an outfielder, but if it meant getting Papi in the game and get him a few more games, it's definitely something I would do."

Gonzalez played right field in winter ball, and one game in Texas.

Gonzalez, asked if he had any concerns about injury playing out of position, said no.

"Do whatever's needed for the team," he said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=6683076

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Will the sox move Gonzo to left or right field to get Ortiz's bat in the 9 road games with NL teams? : Playing LF at Fenway is hardly rocket science. These are professional ballplayers who could probably play any position adequately.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

The thing is, none of these games will be played at Fenway.  If they were at Fenway, the DH would be in use.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

I guess with Crawford on the DL, our outfield could use DMac and Cameron not starting every day anyway.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Man these guys are scoring more runs than I ever could have imagined - this is absolutely amazing!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxPatsCelts1988. Show SoxPatsCelts1988's posts

How about giving Lackey a break in the rotation and letting Ortiz pitch?  That will get his bat in the lineup.

In all seriousness I see them giving A-Gon a break in the middle of this road trip unless they decide to give him 2 (which I doubt).  Maybe they will wait until a game is out of hand early and will put Ortiz in for A-Gon.  The last thing you want to do right now is bench A-Gon, even if it is for Ortiz.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

MAN SURE IS NICE OF HAVING THE LUXURY OF A HEALTHY PRODUCTIVE OUTFIELD

RED SOX HAVE NO HAD THAT SINCE BABE RUTH

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

The same people screaming for Adrian to play the OF will be the same people screaming for Theo and Tito's head if he gets hurt playing out of position. This just has disaster written all over it. Papi pinch hits and gets a game or two at 1B while in National League Parks.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from eggplants. Show eggplants's posts

[QUOTE]Tito............... "We actually talked to him about that a little bit," Francona said. "I guess the best answer I can give you is we'll see. I'm glad he's willing to do it. I think it's admirable. I don't want David to sit nine straight games. That bothers me. I guess the best thing I can tell you is we'll see. Maybe couple times, just to kind of get David where he doesn't go 10 days without playing, because that worries me. "And Gonzie I know has done it in winter ball. And there are a few right fields on this trip that aren't huge, so we'll see. That's the best way I can say it. It's gotta work though, you know, where I don't want to outsmart myself. We'll see." Gonzo .................. "I wouldn't say it's willingness, but the fact that I've done it before," he said. "If I was approached on it, and Tito wanted to do it for a couple games, I'd be OK with it. I'm not an outfielder, and I wasn't an outfielder, but if it meant getting Papi in the game and get him a few more games, it's definitely something I would do." Gonzalez played right field in winter ball, and one game in Texas. Gonzalez, asked if he had any concerns about injury playing out of position, said no. "Do whatever's needed for the team," he said.   http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/mlb/news/story?id=6683076
    Posted by rsinsider[/QUOTE]
                                            Well Tito if you don't want to outsmart yourself, perish this thought from your mind. Play the NL games straight up by using Papi as a PH off the bench. Thats it. This idea of AGON in the outfield is as hairbrained as Papi stealing 2nd base if the opposition doesn't hold him close so that JDD will have a bigger hole to hit through. This latest idea of yours ranks right up there with Papi stealing. What are you worried about? Houston and Pittsburg are a combined 20 games below .500. Oh, I see. You are returning to the "City of Brotherly Love" and you want to show them no mercy. Are you expecting them to welcome you with open arms and a deafening standing ovation? It ain't gonna happen. Show them how smart you are by playing the game straight, no gimmicks. Make sure your BP has guys up and ready to thwart scoring opportunities quickly. This series against the Phillies could be a World Series prelude. Both your detractors and lovers will be watching these games with heightened interest. Good Luck.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I could see Adrian Gonzalez getting sent in to pinch run for Ellsbury in the later innings and then taking his spot in the outfield.
    Yes,I'm kidding.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

Some of the suggestions, having AGON play 3rd or catch Wakefield are absolutely insane.  Francona will give AG 2 days off and pinch hit Ortiz whenever possible.