Will the Sox Reach 100 Wins and 1,000 Runs Scored?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Will the Sox Reach 100 Wins and 1,000 Runs Scored?

Before the season, there was talk of the Red Sox winning 100 games. Then after the 2-10 said, 94 or 95 were thought to be the best the Sox could do, some even said 92 wins. 

Now, the Sox are 44-28 with nine games to go to the halfway point of 81 games, the Sox need to go 6-3 to reach 50 wins, which would be a 100-win pace.

As for runs, the Sox have scored 395 in 72 games, averaging 5.5 runs per game. However, they're averaging 7.8 runs per game in June. If the Sox average 7 runs in the next nine games, they'll have 458 runs by 81 games. That means they'll need to average 6.7 runs per game in the second half of the season to reach 1,000 runs.

Question 1: Will the Sox reach 100 wins?

Question 2: Will the Sox reach 1,000 runs?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Re: Will the Sox Reach 100 Wins and 1,000 Runs Scored?

Answer 1: No, but it will be close. My prediction is 97-98 wins.

Answer 2: No. 900 runs +/- seems more obtainable. Averaging 6.5 - 7 runs per game for the prolonged stretch required to reach the goal seems unrealistic.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

1. Probably not. The Sox are on a pace to win 98 right now though, so it's certainly a distinct possibility. Especially because we have not seen a poor stretch of baseball since the 2-10 start. Right now there are just too many injuries going on for me to confidentally say, "Oh yeah we'll keep up this pace all year". The starting pitching has come a long way though, so I'd put it at 40% we can do it.

2. 6.7 is I think like, 1.7 more runs a game than we scored last year? Seems like a lot to ask from any offense all year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 111SoxFan111. Show 111SoxFan111's posts

1 - Maybe
    2 - No

Better question:

Will Gonzalez have a hot HR streak soon enough to start triple crown speculation?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

1) Probably not.
    2) Probably not.

I hope they do, but more importantly to me is winning the AL East first, then getting to the WS, then winning it all.....with the stankees long since in the distance of the rear view mirror.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If it means post season, I'll take 90 wins and 800 runs scored. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

97 wins maybe if injuries are not brutal

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Yes to 100 wins.  No to 1000 runs scored.

But of the many teams that have  won 100 games, only 4 have ever gone on to win the Series. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from blingblang. Show blingblang's posts

No.  96-97 wins.  Keep some room for that one or two bad losing spells.

No.  About 900 runs.  Keep some room for that one or two bad losing spells.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

As long as were in the playoffs..I dont care..
    To play along
    100 wins? possible.
    1000 runs? No.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

My own thoughts.

1. I think 100 wins now is very-much a possibility. If the Sox get to 50-31, there's no reason to think they can't do that in the second half. Of course injuries are always a factor. I still think my original prediction of 96-98 is more likely, but 100 wins certainly isn't out of the question like many felt back in April.

2. 1,000 runs -- probably unlikely, but ... consider this. The Sox have 395 runs now. In 1950 when they reached 1,027 runs in 154 games, they averaged 6.7 runs over the course of the season. If the Sox average 6.7 over the next 90 games, that gives them 603 more runs and puts them a 998 runs. Unlikely? Perhaps, but they might give it a run. I don't expect the Sox to average the 7.8 runs they've been averaging in June (17 games). But in May-June combined (46 games), they have averaged 6.3 runs. If they average 6.3 over the next 90 games (567 runs), they'll have 962 runs. Ultimately, I figure they'll finish at around 920 to 950 runs barring injury. Of course, if they keep up this pace, you never know.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

I think there is a link between the two questions....if the Sox were to finish with 1,000 runs, avergaing over 6.5 a gaome the rest of the way.....then I would say they easily win 100 games.  i would also say the 1,000 runs is largely dependant on health....if everyone stays healthy and Crawford comes back healthy...then and that is a big if....1,000 runs is possible for this lineup. Remember, the 6.3 they averaged in May/June was done for the most part with an underperforming Youkilis and Pedroia....and no production at all from RF. Other than maybe Ortiz....do we expect anyone in this lineup to hit worse than they did in May/June?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 26RINGSANDCOUTING. Show 26RINGSANDCOUTING's posts

I HAVE TWO WORDS FOR YOU

NO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from --The--Babe---. Show --The--Babe---'s posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox Reach 100 Wins and 1,000 Runs Scored?:
    [QUOTE]My own thoughts. 1. I think 100 wins now is very-much a possibility. If the Sox get to 50-31, there's no reason to think they can't do that in the second half. Of course injuries are always a factor. I still think my original prediction of 96-98 is more likely, but 100 wins certainly isn't out of the question like many felt back in April. 2. 1,000 runs -- probably unlikely, but ... consider this. The Sox have 395 runs now. In 1950 when they reached 1,027 runs in 154 games, they averaged 6.7 runs over the course of the season. If the Sox average 6.7 over the next 90 games, that gives them 603 more runs and puts them a 998 runs. Unlikely? Perhaps, but they might give it a run. I don't expect the Sox to average the 7.8 runs they've been averaging in June (17 games). But in May-June combined (46 games), they have averaged 6.3 runs. If they average 6.3 over the next 90 games (567 runs), they'll have 962 runs. Ultimately, I figure they'll finish at around 920 to 950 runs barring injury. Of course, if they keep up this pace, you never know.

Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from markes8336. Show markes8336's posts

1ooo runs is a crapshoot, but I say no. Possible...? Maybe, but too many unmanageable factors.
    Now - as far as 100 wins, I also say no, but not for the reasons I have seen stated here.
    Here are my thoughts, specifically about the last 2-3 weeks of the season:

1. If the Sox are on a 100 win pace, they may likely have a sizeable lead over the second place team in the AL East.
    2. They will have a few key players with at least minor or nagging injuries.
    3. Unless they need to press hard to get or keep homefield advantage over another AL division leader (not likely IMO), 100 wins will be a meaningless number (All Star game determines WS home team, so again - number of wins are not a factor).
    4. Theo and Tito will spend the last few weeks resting players on a rotational basis while utilizing September call-ups. I do think it possible that they put the regulars back together the last series or two to get 'settled in' and establish some momentum).
    5. Tito will use the last series to align the rotation for the playoff run.

Caveat - If #1 is not the case, they play like hell to win all the games they can.

Just my humble opinion...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from playball01. Show playball01's posts

Is this thread still relevant in your collective opinions? I know that many fall off of the deep end during any Red Sox losing streak beyond one game. Thoughts?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

In Response to Will the Sox Reach 100 Wins and 1,000 Runs Scored?:
    [QUOTE]Before the season, there was talk of the Red Sox winning 100 games. Then after the 2-10 said, 94 or 95 were thought to be the best the Sox could do, some even said 92 wins.  Now, the Sox are 44-28 with nine games to go to the halfway point of 81 games, the Sox need to go 6-3 to reach 50 wins, which would be a 100-win pace. As for runs, the Sox have scored 395 in 72 games, averaging 5.5 runs per game. However, they're averaging 7.8 runs per game in June. If the Sox average 7 runs in the next nine games, they'll have 458 runs by 81 games. That means they'll need to average 6.7 runs per game in the second half of the season to reach 1,000 runs. Question 1: Will the Sox reach 100 wins? Question 2: Will the Sox reach 1,000 runs?
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Why would you even care?  YOu either win the world series or the season was a bust. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Why not. It's expected that there will be lulls like the past week, but I fully expect them to have other incredibly hot streaks.

But as I posted above, I still figure 96-98 wins and 920 runs. They're on pace for under both figures but the first half numbers include the slow start in April.

They're 45-32 with 409 runs scored. To reach 96 wins, they need to go 51-34. That's certainly within reach. 55-30 to reach a 100 might be pushing it.

To reach 920 runs, they need 511 runs in 85 games. That's an average about 6.01 runs per game. That's possible. To reach 1,000 runs, they need to average about 6.95 runs per game. That's unlikely. 

But as we saw for about a month and a half or so, the Sox are capable of going through streaks where they're often in double figures so I think they still can get over 900 runs scored even thought right now, they're on a pace for under 900 runs.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Hope UR right Roy. Due to the lack of disparity in the A.L. East, I'd be surprised if the team won 94-95 games. But that could net a divisional title just the same. It depends on what Theo does by the trading deadline - and injuries.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jcjcjcjc. Show jcjcjcjc's posts

How about trying to win the next game on the schedule... they have lost 4 of the last 5.. now they play 3 in Philadelphia! I predict the Orioles give them a scare the last week in the season... from finishing last!

Sections
Shortcuts