Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game?

I think YES Network figured the Sox would arrive in Toronto at 5:30 AM this morning.  How do you guys think they will respond?  This might be one of those games to bet the house against the Sox because of how off schedule they will be today.  Or will they just roll on?  It should be interesting to see which team shows up.  I think they sent Clay to Toronto early.  Does anyone know for sure?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game?

In Response to Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game?:
    I think YES Network figured the Sox would arrive in Toronto at 5:30 AM this morning.  How do you guys think they will respond?  This might be one of those games to bet the house against the Sox because of how off schedule they will be today.  Or will they just roll on?  It should be interesting to see which team shows up.  I think they sent Clay to Toronto early.  Does anyone know for sure?
    Posted by jimdavis

Actually if I remember what I saw on the news last night, I don't think they sent Clay to Toronto.

It will be interesting t see what happens tonight.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

Posted by jimdavis

Right at the moment, I don't care.  I believe I'll just bask a bit.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

If they did mail it in, would you blame them? 

I couldn't understand why they played the game last night.  It's not like the Sox won't be making another trip to NYC.

If the late starting time does affect the team, hopefully it's for only 1 game.

Watch Buch throw a no-no and the Sox win 1-0.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

Clay didn't make it out of NY last night because of the storms.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dskjold. Show dskjold's posts

That is, he didn't make it out early.  Sorry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'd love a rainout. Damn those retractable roofs. Maybe Crash, Nuke and the guys could set off the sprinklers and flood the place?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game?:
    If they did mail it in, would you blame them?  I couldn't understand why they played the game last night.  It's not like the Sox won't be making another trip to NYC. If the late starting time does affect the team, hopefully it's for only 1 game. Watch Buch throw a no-no and the Sox win 1-0.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I doubt the Yankees didn't like the Sox playing late.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from NUSoxFan. Show NUSoxFan's posts

This team has a lot of heart, remember the Oakland game where we almost blew it, and now last night? If we lose today, perhaps fatigue will have something to do with it, but I'll feel confident that the Sox were at least trying as hard as they could to deliver us a win.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

If they did mail it in, would you blame them?  I couldn't understand why they played the game last night.  It's not like the Sox won't be making another trip to NYC. If the late starting time does affect the team, hopefully it's for only 1 game. Watch Buch throw a no-no and the Sox win 1-0.
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover

I think both clubs, along with Detroit and a few others, are probably at about season capacity for make-up games due to rain-outs.  It was weird, but I think the scheduling staff was making pepto and whiskey cocktails last night fearing the prospect of jamming everything into September.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

They may do just fine tonight. 

Sometimes the sleep deprivation does something to the timing at the plate and the energy on the field.

They could kick butt.  Sleepwalk to a win.

Then again, they could take a day off later in the season and then get blown out.

As the manager of the Rangers says, "That's how baseball go!"

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game? : I doubt the Yankees didn't like the Sox playing late.
    Posted by The-dude

If it's any consulation, the yankees are just as tired going into Cleveland.

I'm glad that they played considering how the game turned out, but can't believe they didn't call it. I wonder how many fans were there to the end of the game, or even after the top of the seventh?

Laughing

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game? : If it's any consulation, the yankees are just as tired going into Cleveland. I'm glad that they played considering how the game turned out, but can't believe they didn't call it. I wonder how many fans were there to the end of the game, or even after the top of the seventh?
    Posted by MikeNagy

Not an internet police, but ... the Yankees stay at home (so says Yahoo Sports).Cool

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Sox Sleepwalk Through Today's Game? : Not an internet police, but ... the Yankees stay at home (so says Yahoo Sports).
    Posted by The-dude

My bad, they are still tired, but wont' have to travel, so the sox do have the worst of it.

Embarassed

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

I think they played because yesterday was beautiful all day and weather reports had the severe weather blowing through quicker than it did.  The Yanks will probably take care of their fans with comp tix to another game.  They always do.  I'm happy to have gotten that game in so there would have to be any double header sweep possibilities later in the season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Posted by jimdavis

Good point Jim, I guess this is where you find out whether our team is really focused on winning it all.  Nothing more important than consistency.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

DWL, your last trip in to us is the next to last series of the season maybe the thinking was it would be hard to fit it in there, with the Yanks heading to Tampa to close the year...i looked at the Yanks sked, the only possible day would have been probably 9/22..that would only work if it was an off day for the Sox also..

posted at 6/10/2011 8:51 AM EDT
    www.boston.com/community/persona.html?UID=7509aecf816ed8da7b89b9fc72d522cc&plckUserId=7509aecf816ed8da7b89b9fc72d522cc">
    First: 6/9/2008
    Last: 6/10/2011
    If they did mail it in, would you blame them? 

I couldn't understand why they played the game last night.  It's not like the Sox won't be making another trip to NYC.

If the late starting time does affect the team, hopefully it's for only 1 game.

Watch Buch throw a no-no and the Sox win 1-0

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

sox will crush the jays....crush them...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Man, it's like most of you guys think it's a burden for them. They get to play baseball for crying out loud. It's "play" baseball, not "work" baseball.
    How many of you would give up a little sleep to do what these guys do?
    Besides, it's not they are little kids that have to have warm milk and 8 hours sleep.
    These are grown men playing a kids game and getting paid handsomely to do so. I expect their best. They best not disappoint or there will be no more alibis!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Man, it's like most of you guys think it's a burden for them. They get to play baseball for crying out loud. It's "play" baseball, not "work" baseball. How many of you would give up a little sleep to do what these guys do? Besides, it's not they are little kids that have to have warm milk and 8 hours sleep. These are grown men playing a kids game and getting paid handsomely to do so. I expect their best. They best not disappoint or there will be no more alibis!
    Posted by Alibiike

If you don't think playing 162 games in the dog days of summer and traveling all over the country is work, you're wrong.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

Man, it's like most of you guys think it's a burden for them. They get to play baseball for crying out loud. It's "play" baseball, not "work" baseball. How many of you would give up a little sleep to do what these guys do? Besides, it's not they are little kids that have to have warm milk and 8 hours sleep. These are grown men playing a kids game and getting paid handsomely to do so. I expect their best. They best not disappoint or there will be no more alibis!
    Posted by Alibiike

No doubt Ike.  But that doesn't change the reality that it is exhausting to play a game, particularly in humid weather.  And then getting short sleep, or having sleep pattern disrupted, and flying, and having to play again in a short span ... this is difficult on the body.  It is not about whether or not they are "burdened" by the experience. Of course they are not.  Everything you say is true.  It is just a matter of whether they can be physically up to the challenge.  That is what is what people are wondering about.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Posted by Alibiike

I'm thinking their reflexes may be off a little on short sleep. Baseball's largely reflexes. Also ... no problems MikeNagy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

Posted by Alibiike

Wow, this is the argument a child would make.  Obviously we'd all live to be in their shoes which has little to do with the fact that travel takes alot out of a person especially when their routines get messed with.  Considering that the other team might not have the same travel issues as the Sox because of the weather, it stands to reason that the Jays might have a bit of an advantage.  If you think it is not an issue, you are living in somewhere other than a dream world.  if you think Vegas sports books and gamblers don't know this, you are kidding yourself.

Sections
Shortcuts