will the Yankees be formidable opponents in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

will the Yankees be formidable opponents in 2014

Looking ahead a bit, here's what the New Yorker's lineup may look like.  Remove from the equation their pitching and depth, how productive will this lineup be?

Ellsbury  CF

Jeter       SS

Beltran    RF

Teixeira   1B

McCann    C

Soriano   DH

Johnson  3B

Roberts  2B

Gardner  LF  LF

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Re: will the Yankees be formidable opponents in 2014

Are the Yankees ever not a formidable opponent?  The lineup is solid.  Yes...a lot of question marks but not many lineups do not have question marks.  Where they will have issues is the rotation and the pen.  They will score runs but will they be able to prevent opponents from doing so??  Right now I don't think so.  I see them finishing 2nd in the East and grabbing a WC.  I don't see them advancing though. 

Where the Yankees will have the most issues is beyond this season.  They are old and have no farm.  They are going to have to overspend in the international pool of talent and that will in turn hamper them down the road with the harsh penalties that come with that.  As much as I hate the Yankees though....I think we all learned too many times, never count them out....

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Looking ahead a bit, here's what the New Yorker's lineup may look like.  Remove from the equation their pitching and depth, how productive will this lineup be?

Ellsbury  CF

Jeter       SS

Beltran    RF

Teixeira   1B

McCann    C

Soriano   DH

Johnson  3B

Roberts  2B

Gardner  LF  LF

[/QUOTE] hey DC, good question....i feel it's a more diverse lineup than we've had in a while...got a few more guys that can steal bases and are also good baserunners..maybe sacrificing a bunch of power, but i think a more versatile offense is what they need..but bottom line..IMO our fortunes will continue to begin and end on the mound..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I think the big question mark with the roster is depth. Robertson in the closing role is still a big question mark. Will CC and Kuroda have better years? How will Tanaka fair in MLB and the ALE? What does the overall pitching depth look like in case they do have injuries or underperformance?

Right now, the lineup will score runs. That lineup, if healthy, can be a top run producing team. My concern with the lineup AND pitching is depth. There will be injuries, but depending on the extent of those injuries is what could ultimately hurt them.

Last year the Sox had Buch go down, Lester stumble for 6 weeks, 2 closers, Middlebrooks, Vic had his share of problems and their best LH reliever go down amongst a few other small injuries. But they still didnt lose a beat because of that depth.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

I do not get how any team compeltely derailed by injuries last year can come to the conclusion that Brian Roberts should be part of the solution.

Nevertheless, they should certainly be a good team...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I do not get how any team compeltely derailed by injuries last year can come to the conclusion that Brian Roberts should be part of the solution.

Nevertheless, they should certainly be a good team...

[/QUOTE]

Maybe they are hoping everyone is hurt at different times.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Well considering the money spent...Hankenstein will demand no less!

The line-up will put up lots of runs...but like Jete says, it will come down to their pitching.

I think they'll miss Rivera bigtime!

Question for Yankee fans...you spend all that money on free agents but don't bring back your 2B who was born to be a Yankee and play in that stadium...beats me!!

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

If we were plugging in all possible scenarios into a monte carlo simulation for every team in the league I would be willing to bet the biggest range of outcomes would be for the New York Yankees.

They can be good, or they can be really really bad.  There is a lot of talent on that team, but there is an equal amount of question marks and age on that team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Despite the loss of Cano , Granderson , Pettitte and Rivera, on paper the Yankees look to be a better team than they were last year. I would have to say that they will indeed be formidable opponents. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Yes, barring a rash of injuries, most formidable, sorry to say.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Despite the loss of Cano , Granderson , Pettitte and Rivera, on paper the Yankees look to be a better team than they were last year. I would have to say that they will indeed be formidable opponents. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree. 

The Yanks were a better team than their record indicated last year. Injuries killed them. They are still old and have health issues, but if they stay healthier than last year, the players they picked up are better (as a whole) than the ones they lost.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

does the key gains outweight the key losses??? yes, but I'd argue that they don't make them that much better. 

Ultimately what NY's biggest problems were last year still remain, and may even be worse this year. 

They effectively have ZERO depth.  With a clean bill of health they could be more than a 90 win team, but if a few things tilt the wrong way and/or they get a rash of injuries I also wouldn't be surprised if they have their first losing season in a LONG time.  I really wouldn't be surprised either way.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

Defensively, I see the right side of the diamond being somewhat problematic for the Yankees. I think you will see a lot of teams trying to hit on the right side of the diamond, as that defense is on the old side, with players clearly past their prime, with injuries/fatigue being a possibility (not to mention defensive range):

• Jeter, SS (age 40 on June 26, 2014)
    • Roberts, 2B (age 36)
    • Teixeira, 1B (age 34 on April 24, 2014)
    • Beltran, RF (age 37 on April 24, 2014)

The Yankees starting pitching only has 1 lefty (Sabathia, 34 on July 21, 2014) and their BP has only 2 lefties (Thornton, age 37; Nuno, 20 ip lifetime).

I don't see a team with half the diamond being somewhat of a question mark having a smooth sailing season.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:
    [QUOTE]

does the key gains outweight the key losses??? yes, but I'd argue that they don't make them that much better. 

Ultimately what NY's biggest problems were last year still remain, and may even be worse this year. 

They effectively have ZERO depth.  With a clean bill of health they could be more than a 90 win team, but if a few things tilt the wrong way and/or they get a rash of injuries I also wouldn't be surprised if they have their first losing season in a LONG time.  I really wouldn't be surprised either way.

[/QUOTE] Hugh, that is one of the things i've lamented for the past few years, when they were at their best(those title teams), one of the Yanks' strengths was they sported really good benches, and long pens..obviously you can't predict health, but i guess you just ontrol what you can, like i've said before there's no way you guys saw 2011/12 coming, yeah you guy were built differently than the Yanks non-playoff team, but was still able to survive and even thrive..noone knows(at least right now) what to expect from this Yanks team..guess we'll see how they deal with the stench of 2013.. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Yankees will win 90 games if...

Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova, Tanaka & Phelps all make 30 to 32 starts with a collective ERA of 4.00 

Ellsbury, Gardner, Beltran, McCann, & Soriano all play 150 games and hit to thier career norms....

Robertson saves 40 games

The Yankees will win 95 games if...

Sabathia has a CY young season and Tanaka pitches to a sub 3.50 ERA

Texiera and Jeter both come back healthy and productive.

Their bullpen leading up to Robertson can hold leads.

They add to thier roster to address underperformance or injury....

The Yankees will be formidable but they could also be better than last year and not win as many games....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings  Soxdog67's 

they sure did spend

but some might not know that right now

odds favor their payroll being less than last yr (arod certainly a big part of it )

The line-up will put up lots of runs...but like Jete says, it will come down to their pitching.

true very true

we will C what it's worth

but tanaka was their #1 target and they got him

can't argue with that

I mean plenty of teams have won without mo

but they didn't replace robertson either

Question for Yankee fans...you spend all that money on free agents but don't bring back your 2B who was born to be a Yankee and play in that stadium...beats me!!

I know you have been away for a while but

did U miss the part where seattle gave him 90 mill more

some think it was that

persoanllay I think it was because

they feared those RSP's coming back

Question for RSN...you make  all that money on WS  but don't bring back your

lead off / CF  who was born to be a sox and play in the fens ...beats me!!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

greetings BT

they could also be better than last year and not win as many games....

LOL very true

has no/ little bearing on this thread

but do U really think phelps beats out pineda

I'm thinking pineda would get every chance to win the job

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:
    [QUOTE]

greetings  Soxdog67's 

they sure did spend

but some might not know that right now

odds favor their payroll being less than last yr (arod certainly a big part of it )

true very true

we will C what it's worth

but tanaka was their #1 target and they got him

can't argue with that

I mean plenty of teams have won without mo

but they didn't replace robertson either

I know you have been away for a while but

did U miss the part where seattle gave him 90 mill more

some think it was that

persoanllay I think it was because

they feared those RSP's coming back

[/QUOTE]

Because are front office is a little bit more committed to staying under the luxury tax.  And when you have one of your top prospects that is (or at least very close to) MLB ready waiting in the wings.....you let the 20+ million injury prone 30 year old walk.

That model is much much much much more common than what the Yankees do and Boston is able to do because they have something NY does not, Depth and a minor league system.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Because are front office is a little bit more committed to staying under the luxury tax.  And when you have one of your top prospects that is (or at least very close to) MLB ready waiting in the wings.....you let the 20+ million injury prone 30 year old walk.

That model is much much much much more common than what the Yankees do and Boston is able to do because they have something NY does not, Depth and a minor league system.

all true hughe

all cold and true

very cold

love how U guys care more about JH's money

than being able to root for a successful present talent

as bad as last yr was and it was bad

I enjoyed watching mo and andy at the end saying good bye

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

If it's true that NYY is going to completely ignore the penalties and blow out the international draft, they may well be strong in the short term. I think we should have penalties such that no team can simply ignore them forever. Have the Lux Tax penalty double every year once you max out if you never reset. Something that even the Yankees would see as untenable.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Zac,

I'm fine with them choosing to move on...

Ells is a great player, and a good get for your Yanks, oft injured, time will tell if he earns his keep. Ells was hardly born to be a sox, he and Boras made their intensions clear years ago, he's now a faceless storm trooper and a member of the hated Evil Empire. Why he would choose to play for Darth...beat$ me!,,,

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Zac,

I'm fine with them choosing to move on...

as are yankee fans with cano moving on

Ells was hardly born to be a sox, he and Boras made their intensions clear years ago,

LOL cano was hardly born to be a NYY he  DROPPED Boras ;-)

BT from my other post

has no/ little bearing on this thread

but do U really think phelps beats out pineda

I'm thinking pineda would get every chance to win the job

Sections
Shortcuts