will the Yankees be formidable opponents in 2014

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Re: will the Yankees be formidable opponents in 2014

In response to dustcover's comment:

Looking ahead a bit, here's what the New Yorker's lineup may look like. Remove from the equation their pitching and depth, how productive will this lineup be?

Ellsbury CF

Jeter SS

Beltran RF

Teixeira 1B

McCann C

Soriano DH

Johnson 3B

Roberts 2B

Gardner LF LF

The outfield looks solid, as does McCann at catcher. The infield is potentially one big clusterbeep. As Hugh said, this team is very hard to predict. They could be quite good, they could be very bad.

The lineup will almost surely be better than last year's line up. The question is, how much better? They were 10th in the league in runs scored last year with 650, 50 fewer runs than the 9th best team and 203 fewer runs than the Sox. They were 13th in the league in wOBA (.301) and 13th in OPS (.683). So, saying that they have improved offensively, even saying that they can potentially improve at 7 of the 9 positions, isn't necessarily saying a whole lot.

Personally, I think they fare better overall with their rotation than they do with line up. That said, there are a lot of question marks with their SP that could go either way too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

In response to pinstripezac35's comment:

Question for RSN...you make  all that money on WS  but don't bring back your

lead off / CF  who was born to be a sox and play in the fens ...beats me!!

Three big differences between the Sox not bringing back Ells and the Yankees not bringing back Cano:

1.  The Sox did not spend outrageous amounts on other free agents, blowing past the luxury tax limit, while low balling their best player last year.

2.  The Sox have a farm system to draw from.

3.  The Sox are not desperate.  ;-)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In response to dustcover's comment:

Looking ahead a bit, here's what the New Yorker's lineup may look like.  Remove from the equation their pitching and depth, how productive will this lineup be?

Ellsbury  CF

Jeter       SS

Beltran    RF

Teixeira   1B

McCann    C

Soriano   DH

Johnson  3B

Roberts  2B

Gardner  LF  LF

Dusty - I think the answer is yes.  I think they always are - sometimes they are just blow you off the map strong but other times they are merely human but better than most humans.

I think the real question is the pitching.  The pen is weaker than in many years, obviously with Mo gone but it is more than that.  The SP is possibly strong ... if all their question marks pay off.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to RedSoxKimmi's comment:

Three big differences between the Sox not bringing back Ells and the Yankees not bringing back Cano:

1.  The Sox did not spend outrageous amounts on other free agents, blowing past the luxury tax limit, while low balling their best player last year.

I think you can now safely say the Yanks are no longer desperate (if they ever really were).

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to mfymfy's comment:

I think you can now safely say the Yanks are no longer desperate (if they ever really were).

Depends on how well they do this year, myf. If they don't make the playoffs, again, they are or will be 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Depends on how well they do this year, myf. If they don't make the playoffs, again, they are

True enough, J-Bay.Like every team, they made their choices about how to approach the season. Now we get to see what everyone really has.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

It's fair enough to say that they are not currently desperate.  They have put themselves at least back in the discussion.

I wouldn't count the Yankees out, but if I were a Yankee fan, I don't think I'd be filled with a great deal of confidence either.

I had more confidence last year in the Sox being able to bounce back from their 69 win season than I have in the Yankees bouncing back from their 85 win season.  IMO, there are just too many factors that could go either way.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Question for Yankee fans...you spend all that money on free agents but don't bring back your 2B who was born to be a Yankee and play in that stadium...beats me!!

Because are front office is a little bit more committed to staying under the luxury tax.  And when you have one of your top prospects that is (or at least very close to) MLB ready waiting in the wings.....you let the 20+ million injury prone 30 year old walk.

That model is much much much much more common than what the Yankees do and Boston is able to do because they have something NY does not, Depth and a minor league system.

all true hughe

all cold and true

very cold

love how U guys care more about JH's money

than being able to root for a successful present talent

as bad as last yr was and it was bad

I enjoyed watching mo and andy at the end saying good bye

Yeah. It always tickles me how much some Sox fans worry about John Henry's money. He has plenty, folks. Probably as much as Steinbrenner. I would never complain if he spent big to assemble the best team possible. It is a fact that the Sox have much better talent in the minors than the Yankees. But having too much talent should not be a problem. There is no reason why Ellsbury and Bradley could not have played in the same outfield. The same thing applies to Iglesias and Bogaerts. I don't think it is smart to give up talent just because you have replacements available. So, while the Yankees have improved this off season, the Sox really have not. However, the Sox are the champs. They were considerably better than the Yankees last year. We will just have to wait and see how this season plays out to determine how much the Yankees closed the gap. As for injuries, they can undermine any given team in any given season. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

Depends on how well they do this year, myf. If they don't make the playoffs, again, they are

True enough, J-Bay.Like every team, they made their choices about how to approach the season. Now we get to see what everyone really has.

True enough, mfy. While ST means next to nothing, we get to see the new, with the old, and how they'll play together. No one could, would or should  have seen the Red Sox winning it all, this time last year.  It's what makes sports so great and why they play the games. Anything can happen and usually does

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to dgalehouse's comment:

Question for Yankee fans...you spend all that money on free agents but don't bring back your 2B who was born to be a Yankee and play in that stadium...beats me!!

Because are front office is a little bit more committed to staying under the luxury tax.  And when you have one of your top prospects that is (or at least very close to) MLB ready waiting in the wings.....you let the 20+ million injury prone 30 year old walk.

That model is much much much much more common than what the Yankees do and Boston is able to do because they have something NY does not, Depth and a minor league system.

all true hughe

all cold and true

very cold

love how U guys care more about JH's money

than being able to root for a successful present talent

as bad as last yr was and it was bad

I enjoyed watching mo and andy at the end saying good bye

Yeah. It always tickles me how much some Sox fans worry about John Henry's money. He has plenty, folks. Probably as much as Steinbrenner. I would never complain if he spent big to assemble the best team possible. It is a fact that the Sox have much better talent in the minors than the Yankees. But having too much talent should not be a problem. There is no reason why Ellsbury and Bradley could not have played in the same outfield. The same thing applies to Iglesias and Bogaerts. I don't think it is smart to give up talent just because you have replacements available. So, while the Yankees have improved this off season, the Sox really have not. However, the Sox are the champs. They were considerably better than the Yankees last year. We will just have to wait and see how this season plays out to determine how much the Yankees closed the gap. As for injuries, they can undermine any given team in any given season. 

I don't think it's a matter of worrying about JH's money, gale. At least, I'm not. When Theo started to take on the same approach as  Cashman, acquiring the best FA available, every off season, I asked my brother what he thought of it. He shook his head and said, I dont like.  The Sox are just becoming what we hate, the Yankees. I knew exactly what he meant, because I felt the same way. It wasn't the Red Sox way. The Sox always built from within, and filled in holes with trades and a FA signing, here and there. That's what made last season, so great. We had a lot of FA, but they weren't the biggest or the best. The just played together as a team, and that you  can't buy. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Zac,

I'm fine with them choosing to move on...

as are yankee fans with cano moving on

Ells was hardly born to be a sox, he and Boras made their intensions clear years ago,

LOL cano was hardly born to be a NYY he  DROPPED Boras ;-)

BT from my other post

has no/ little bearing on this thread

but do U really think phelps beats out pineda

I'm thinking pineda would get every chance to win the job

I think Pineda if healthy will be given long look along with the other prospect (Bentances?), who's also returning from injury. One or both might end up in the pen. Phelps is currently listed  on the Yankees depth chart as the 5th starter? They could still add an arm and likely will if not for anything but to give them some organizational depth and another arm in the spring...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I think it is hypocritical for any Yankee fan to say the Sox should have spent an extra 30 million to sign Ellsbury when the Yanks wouldn't extend Cano a contract he would find acceptable...instead the Yankees left the door open for Seattle to make him an offer he couldn't refuse by placing their focus on McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran.

Furthermore, I believe, and hope, that the Red Sox have ended paying out those long-term free agent deals because they learned that having "fatcats" is, more often than not, not the recipe for success anymore.

The 2014 Yankees will try to prove me wrong, but I thank our lucky stars everyday that we were able to unload fatcats Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett and retool with more hungry players like Victorino, Napoli and Gomes.

Finally, what if Sizemore returns to being 85% of the player he was before getting injured?? Well they would get their Ellsbury replacement right there. However, the reality is that Bradley will likely win the CF job and become 70% of what Ellsbury was in Boston...meaning the Sox will definitely miss Ellsbury, but not for the payroll haul he's getting from the Yankees...who likely overspent on him by $25 million or more over the life of the contract.

If the Sox fail to repeat in 2014 Sox fans will be disappointed, however, if the Yankees don't win in 2014 Yankee fans will be devastated! But they'll have the pleasure of adding ARod's salary back in the mix in 2015.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

I think it is hypocritical for any Yankee fan to say the Sox should have spent an extra 30 million to sign Ellsbury when the Yanks wouldn't extend Cano a contract he would find acceptable..

Y is it not more hypocritical 2 say the yanks should of raised their

offer 90 mill to a total of 265 mill

than 2 say the sox should of raised theirs 30 ? a total of 153 that's 110 mill less

especially knowing darn well if the NYY did

the RSP's would be all over the place

sorry that's even more hypocritical

.instead the Yankees left the door open for Seattle to make him an offer he couldn't refuse by placing their focus on McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran.

there's a whole lot wrong there soxdog

actually the yanks broke their rule

about trying to get a contract redone B4 it expired early durring the season

that's when cano's people said 10 yr 300 mill

after the season ended and the yanks were told their lastest offer of 175 wasn't close

the yanks gave up and signed ells

mcman has nothing to do with anything

and beltran was signed right after cano signed

Furthermore, I believe, and hope, that the Red Sox have ended paying out those long-term free agent deals because they learned that having "fatcats" is, more often than not, not the recipe for success anymore.

The 2014 Yankees will try to prove me wrong, but I thank our lucky stars everyday that we were able to unload fatcats Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett and retool with more hungry players like Victorino, Napoli and Gomes.

that we agree on, a poster called

4B's won't admit/agree the sox were lucky there

If the Sox fail to repeat in 2014 Sox fans will be disappointed, however, if the Yankees don't win in 2014 Yankee fans will be devastated! But they'll have the pleasure of adding ARod's salary back in the mix in 2015.

why would we be devastated

unless the sox repeated i don't C it as a big deal

as long as they make the PO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to Soxdog67's comment:

I think it is hypocritical for any Yankee fan to say the Sox should have spent an extra 30 million to sign Ellsbury when the Yanks wouldn't extend Cano a contract he would find acceptable...instead the Yankees left the door open for Seattle to make him an offer he couldn't refuse by placing their focus on McCann, Ellsbury and Beltran.

Finally, what if Sizemore returns to being 85% of the player he was before getting injured?? Well they would get their Ellsbury replacement right there. However, the reality is that Bradley will likely win the CF job and become 70% of what Ellsbury was in Boston...meaning the Sox will definitely miss Ellsbury, but not for the payroll haul he's getting from the Yankees...who likely overspent on him by $25 million or more over the life of the contract.

As of today the Yankees have improved, however they're not the prohibitive favorites to win the division or even make the playoffs. Most pundits see the Ray's as the best team. End of the day, the AL East will be a tough go for all 5 teams...on paper it's a three team race with the Rays, Sox and Yankees all legit 90 win teams. The Orioles could make some noise too. So i'm not sure yankee fans will be devastated by them not winning it all this year. Nor should Sox fans be disappointed if our boys don't win it all, unless we make it back and lose in the World Series. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Found it interesting that the odds favor the Yankees to win the WS. LMAO Are these Las Vegas odds? That could be the only explanation.

Oh, and I read in a thread that Tanaka was really just a #3 pitcher. Who knew that? If I knew that, I wouldn't have even wanted the Red Sox to bother with him. He wasn't being portrayed that way, that's for sure.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to kimsaysthis' comment:

Found it interesting that the odds favor the Yankees to win the WS. LMAO Are these Las Vegas odds? That could be the only explanation.

Oh, and I read in a thread that Tanaka was really just a #3 pitcher. Who knew that? If I knew that, I wouldn't have even wanted the Red Sox to bother with him. He wasn't being portrayed that way, that's for sure.

stop misconstruing

Cashman indicated that comments he made earlier in the day, when he told ESPN-Radio Tanaka should be viewed as a No. 3 starter, were misconstrued.

“The question was whether I thought [Tanaka] would be at the front of the rotation right out of spring training,” Cashman said. “I said that I didn’t expect that. You’re talking about the adjustment, transition, growing pains. We look for him to be a solid No. 3, and after that if it’s better than that, great.”

http://nypost.com/2014/02/07/yanks-gm-not-sure-id-call-sabathia-elite/

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

stop misconstruing

Cashman indicated that comments he made earlier in the day, when he told ESPN-Radio Tanaka should be viewed as a No. 3 starter, were misconstrued.

“The question was whether I thought [Tanaka] would be at the front of the rotation right out of spring training,” Cashman said. “I said that I didn’t expect that. You’re talking about the adjustment, transition, growing pains. We look for him to be a solid No. 3, and after that if it’s better than that, great.”

http://nypost.com/2014/02/07/yanks-gm-not-sure-id-call-sabathia-elite/

Do you honestly believe I read and/or listen to anything Cashman says? LOL I believe it was Hugh, who seems to know alot about players, who made that comment. Interesting that Cashman agreed, and is now backpeddling.

Oh, and tell us again how happy you were that the Yankees weren't going to overspend on Cano, you know, since you're now, again, claiming in this thread that you love when your team doesn't worry about money like you say the Red Sox do. Funny how, since they were going over the luxury tax anyway, Cano's contract wouldn't have even mattered -- and you still lost him.

Guess I was right when I said he was done talking to the Yankees before he signed with Seattle. They insulted him, and he no longer wanted to be there.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

Do you honestly believe I read and/or listen to anything Cashman says? LOL I believe it was Hugh, who seems to know alot about players,

I get it

1st U admit '' He wasn't being portrayed that way'' by the pros

and then U figure 1 posters opin trumps all that

who made that comment. Interesting that Cashman agreed, and is now backpeddling.

almost even more interesting that U can't C his point

Oh, and tell us again how happy you were that the Yankees weren't going to overspend on Cano, you know, since you're now, again, claiming in this thread that you love when your team doesn't worry about money like you say the Red Sox do.

I only talked about RSN worry about money

Funny how, since they were going over the luxury tax anyway, Cano's contract wouldn't have even mattered -- and you still lost him.

265 mill would not have mattered ?

Guess I was right when I said he was done talking to the Yankees before he signed with Seattle. They insulted him, and he no longer wanted to be there.

what part about 90 mill more don't U understand

damon ran away for 12 mill

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kimsaysthis. Show kimsaysthis's posts

Do you honestly believe I read and/or listen to anything Cashman says? LOL I believe it was Hugh, who seems to know alot about players,

I get it

1st U admit '' He wasn't being portrayed that way'' by the pros

and then U figure 1 posters opin trumps all that

who made that comment. Interesting that Cashman agreed, and is now backpeddling.

almost even more interesting that U can't C his point

Oh, and tell us again how happy you were that the Yankees weren't going to overspend on Cano, you know, since you're now, again, claiming in this thread that you love when your team doesn't worry about money like you say the Red Sox do.

I only talked about RSN worry about money

Funny how, since they were going over the luxury tax anyway, Cano's contract wouldn't have even mattered -- and you still lost him.

265 mill would not have mattered ?

what part about 90 mill more don't U understand

damon ran away for 12 mill

What pros? The hype about him was to get the best contract. Guess they got that for a #3. lol

You talked about the Yankees money when they didn't give it to Cano. You were happy about that. Happy your best player and next face of the Yankees wasn't signed by the Yankees because it would have been too much money. It's amazing how you keep backpeddling from that position now. And no, 265 mill doesn't matter to the Yankees when they're not going to worry about the luxury tax. It's just more money to them. More money from money is just more money.

Cano was done talking to the Yankees, that's why they went on to sign another huge contract without finalizing his deal. They were even pursuing a second baseman before he signed with Seattle. He finalized his deal with the Yankees, and they had no chance of changing his mind. Like I said, he was done talking to them, and probably told them that.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

does the key gains outweight the key losses??? yes, but I'd argue that they don't make them that much better. 

Ultimately what NY's biggest problems were last year still remain, and may even be worse this year. 

They effectively have ZERO depth.  With a clean bill of health they could be more than a 90 win team, but if a few things tilt the wrong way and/or they get a rash of injuries I also wouldn't be surprised if they have their first losing season in a LONG time.  I really wouldn't be surprised either way.

They won 85 games with a ton of injuries. They seem to have improved some with their offseason moves. I think just slightly better health equals 90+ wins.

I think they have better depth than last year:

They have B Ryan all year in 2014, and he can play SS, 2B and 3B. 

They have B Roberts, E Nunez and K Johnson.

Suzuki is an excellent 4th OF'er.

Soriano is a nice 5th OF'er/DH.

Tanaka should be better than Pettitte.

Pineda is back.

Their pen may need some additions, but I think the Yanks have better depth than last spring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Half the QO free agents who have signed so far have signed with the Yanks (4 out of 8). Plus, the Yanks signed Tanaka.

I'd say they are no longer desperate, but I doubt they are done spending either. They will reportedly spend big on international free agents this summer and will likely add a few pieces before opening day (Pen?)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"don't bring back your

lead off / CF  who was born to be a sox and play in the fens ...beats me!!"

You'll find out soon enough when he struggles to stay on the field due to injuries and his speed slows a bit and his limitations become obvious. He's a very good player but he's way overpaid, Boras managed to fleece a team and glad it wasn't us. 

Losing Cano to gain Ells wasn't such a swell idea as I see it. 

That said I do wish the Sox had gone after Beltran harder, I'm not that confident in JBJ though hope to be proven wrong.

"They can be good, or they can be really really bad."

Not sure if I agree. The Yanks will either be great next season or good. They might start out bad but they will keep trading and signing until the get at least a good product on the field. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to BostonTrollSpanker's comment:

"

"They can be good, or they can be really really bad."

Not sure if I agree. The Yanks will either be great next season or good. They might start out bad but they will keep trading and signing until the get at least a good product on the field. 

I agree that "really bad" is not a likely outcome given the talent on the current Yankee roster. 

The difference between great and good rest on the shoulders of their starting pitching, back end of the bulpen and a return to full health and production from Texiera and Jeter. 

As comprised the 2014 Yankees lineup and defense is much improved over the one they ran out for most of last year. So it's not that far of a reach to assume they'll score 800 runs in 2014 and should be much improved catching the ball. Last year the Yanks scored 650 runs, allowed 671 for a -21 run differential. Yet still won 85 games. the Diamondbacks were the only other team with a negative run differential to play at or above .500. The Sox scored 853 gave up 656 for a +197 run differential. The Cardinals thier opponent in the WS scored 783, allowed 596 for a + 187. So if the Yankees pitch and catch the ball in 2014 as good as thier 2013 team it's not that far a stretch to project them in the +100 run differential club...Last year every club that passed that milestone won 90 games or more...

In terms of run prevention, it starts and ends with the quality of the starting rotation. Regardless of how good your position players are at catching the ball, it's impossible to defend the HR, line drives in the gaps that find grass and bases on balls.

To that end, if we compare the 2013 staff with the 2014 club. Sabathia, Kuroda, Nova & Phelps are all returning, gone are Petitte and Hughes. In thier place is Tanaka & Pineda. Last year Sabathia pitched with a bad wing and struggled to finish the year, according to reports I've read is healthy and ready to go in 2014. So one could assume he'll be more effective?..Nova started only 20 games and if healthy should give them 30 starts/200 innings and if he pitches to a sub 4 era will win more than his share of games. Kuroda ran out of gas in the second half, but was among the best in his first 20 starts. They'll likely try to monitor his workload this year and try to keep him fresh for the second half. Young Phelps beat out Hughes or did Hughes just wear out his welcome and although he didn't light up the scoreboard gives them depth. Pineda might well if healthy assume the 5th starter role or could be used in the back end of the pen if he's still throwing gas? Which brings us to the only real significant change and that's the aquisition of Tanaka who will replace Petitte. In my mind the pendulum swings on the fortunes of he and Sabathia if one or both, pitch to a CY young level. Along with Nova and Kuroda staying healthy? the yanks could be a force. Depth could well prove to be the equalizer if one or more struggle or spend significant time on the DL...

One could argue the only significant downgrade compared to the 2013 roster is the backend of the bullpen. Where last year they had Mo closing with Robertson & Logan as the primary set up guys...This year they have Robertson and question marks. As we all know, bullpens can be tweaked during the season. The 2013 Red Sox are the case study in it's not who you start the year with but rather who you finish the year with...

Lastly; are the Yankees done or are theremore moves in store? Then once the roster is set and the season begins. Just how committed are Hank & Hal to winning this year? Given thier current payroll, they'll be paying .50 cent in tax for every dollar they add...from this point forward. The question is will they allow or have they set aside funds allowing Levine and Cashman the resources to add payroll to address injury and underperformance...that's the million dollar luxury tax question that we won't know the answer to until the season unfolds.

Make no mistake the Yanks have improved. However, due to a myriad of questions are not today prohibitive favorites and rightfully so...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazy-world-of-troybrown. Show crazy-world-of-troybrown's posts

When you spend money like the Yanks did, you should win the division. Anything else is a fail.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to crazy-world-of-troybrown's comment:

When you spend money like the Yanks did, you should win the division. Anything else is a fail.

can't say I disagree...I would add given where they started this offseason and the money they spent, essentially rebuilding thier nucleaus, the word epic in front of fail if they don't win it all in the next two or three years. 

Sections
Shortcuts