Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

Since the Yanks have AL home field advantage locked up, they might, indeed, decide to donate 3 games to the Tampa Bay win column.  That makes the doubleheader tomorrow even more crucial.  The Halo threat should be somewhat weaker, not only because they are 3 games behind the Bosox in the lost column, but because the Rangers will hardly lay down for them in their last series together. If they did, the Rangers could end up facing the Tigers instead of the pesky Rays or a weakened Red Sox team.  
        If the Yanks do end up rolling over for Tampa Bay, it will presumably be more subtle than their last loss to the Rays on Thursday, when Jeter tossed a Hail Mary over Posada's head into the first base boxes.  Expect a mix of regulars to start, but you will not see Nova or Sabathia.  And I doubt you will see them really competing much at all if the game is on the line. 
        The way the Orioles have been playing, I would be very nervous at this point as a Red Sox fan. They really need a sweep tomorrow against the Yanks to remain in the driver's seat.   As disturbing as a Yankee siesta versus the Rays might or might not be to MLB fans, it will not be the first or last time it has happened at the end of the regular season when contenders are involved....which hardly justifies it. But if it does happen, and the Red Sox are eliminated because of it, it will raise a wholly new chalice of wormwood and gall in the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry, where Hamlet always seems to be a Yankees or Red Sox fan, depending on the year: "How all occasions do inform against me, and spur my dull revenge." (Hamlet 4.4.35-36). Yet my mom would regularly opine that it was only a game after all....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

i do expect the yanks to lay down for the rays. Players need rest.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

The tone of this post is that it is somehow up to the Yanks to beat the Rays.  No.  It is up to the Sox to beat the O's.  If the Sox win out, there is nothing the Rays can do.  Now that the Yanks have home field throughout the playoffs, their season is over.  All they have to do is rest players and play them only to keep them sharp.  Lots of the players need some rest.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?:
    [QUOTE]The tone of this post is that it is somehow up to the Yanks to beat the Rays.  No.  It is up to the Sox to beat the O's.  If the Sox win out, there is nothing the Rays can do.  Now that the Yanks have home field throughout the playoffs, their season is over.  All they have to do is rest players and play them only to keep them sharp.  Lots of the players need some rest.
    Posted by Kamdog[/QUOTE]
         Not exactly but close, kamdog.  All I know is that if the situation was reversed, I would expect the Red Sox to make at least SOME effort at winning a game or even two. Your argument can be made, but the "integrity of the game" side will also be proffered up.  If the Bosox just threw the last 3 games of the season in that parallel universe, and the Yanks were eliminated because of it, I know I would be fuming....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?:
    [QUOTE]Yes!!!!!!  Why is this even a question?   The NYY have every right to rest their guys.  They earned the #1 seed in the AL.   The Sox put themselves in this position.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]
    Of course they do.  But given the circumstances it takes on an entirely different meaning in the historic context of the Yankees-Red Sox rivalry.  If the Red Sox do get eliminated because the Yanks have given Tampa Bay the last three games of the season on a pinstriped platter, I doubt that the memory of the gift will be so quickly forgotten.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

leaving the nyy / RS stuff aside  for min

would you rather play

the better team that is cold as ice, that could.........

or the lesser team that's playing better right now

same answer

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Yes. They already did that in the last game against the Rays.

But, Red Sox lousy collapse in September is not worthy of any excuse. Win or deserve to go home.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

If I am the Yankees I do not want the Red Sox in the show, and not because of the rivalty. The Sox have clobbered CC all year and own the season series (by a thread). The Sox can score 10 plus runs on any given day, and they do still have two very good starters.

The Yankees should white flag their remaining games to the Rays or they shall live to regret it - because the Red Sox can be that good.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]Yes. They already did that in the last game against the Rays. But, Red Sox lousy collapse in September is not worthy of any excuse. Win or deserve to go home.
    Posted by 1958lesspaul[/QUOTE]

I have to admit, lesspaul, that I might have been wrong about Red Sox fans being incredibly teed off at the prospect of the Yankees laying down for the Rays. I can't say that I would similarly man-up if the situation were reversed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1958lesspaul. Show 1958lesspaul's posts

Focus is on winning tomorrow, not on Yankees lay down @ TB. If the players cant focus on their job and are expecting more gifts from a choking Rays team, the bigger choke team needs to go home. Rays are on track for about 89 to 91 wins. My range was 87 to 89. The Red Sox are trying to give it away, by putting up 89 to 91 wins. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Maybe the question should be, will the Sox lay down for both games tomorrow. NY will rest players both games. Sox have to win the Burnett game - that is a must.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]Maybe the question should be, will the Sox lay down for both games tomorrow. NY will rest players both games. Sox have to win the Burnett game - that is a must.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Agreed, eric, with regard to the Burnett game.  But I am not so sure you will see as many Yankee regulars rested tomorrow as there were in Thursday's Tampa Bay tilt.  It will be interesting to see how Girardi plays it, though.  If the Red Sox can sweep, I like their chances getting the WC.  
         As to the Bosox laying down, I think they have too many players with competitive class and resilience to let that happen.  It is understandable given their slide that so many frustrated Bosox fans on this forum feel that way, but I think the idea is way off the mark.  You cannot make mediocre pitching better with a motivational magic wand.  The position players might be in a psychological tailspin at this point, but this team has never laid down this or any other year, and I doubt it will happen tomorrow.  A split is likely in my book (yes, I realize that is a really gutsy prediction), and then the suspense soundtrack will only get louder....

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

"If the Yanks do end up rolling over for Tampa Bay, it will presumably be more subtle than their last loss to the Rays on Thursday,..."

You mean the series where the Yankees beat the Ray three out of four?  Get a grip.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from heobrien. Show heobrien's posts

" because the Red Sox can be that good..."

Just not recently.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]"If the Yanks do end up rolling over for Tampa Bay, it will presumably be more subtle than their last loss to the Rays on Thursday,..." You mean the series where the Yankees beat the Ray three out of four?  Get a grip.  
    Posted by heobrien[/QUOTE]

A grip?....I am talking about the last game, after they had clinched their division.  If the Yankees had thrown any of the earlier games, it would surely have been foolhardy given their pursuit of the best record in the AL and home-field advantage. Not sure you are getting it here, my fellow Irishman...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

Welcome back to the forum, Yankee troll. I see you like posting here once your team has clinched and our team is struggling. Congrats on being both a troll and a frontrunner. 

Your post is useless as you have failed to make a key distinction between "laying down" and "resting key guys". The two are not the same. I expect the Yanks will rest anyone who is gimpy but otherwise I expect them to play hard. I figure they will just want to win out and not move into the playoffs on a losing tip if they can win the games. It should be scrappy and the Sox will have no one to blame but themselves if they don't make the playoffs.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

[QUOTE]Welcome back to the forum, Yankee troll. I see you like posting here once your team has clinched and our team is struggling. Congrats on being both a troll and a frontrunner.  Your post is useless as you have failed to make a key distinction between "laying down" and "resting key guys". The two are not the same. I expect the Yanks will rest anyone who is gimpy but otherwise I expect them to play hard. I figure they will just want to win out and not move into the playoffs on a losing tip if they can win the games. It should be scrappy and the Sox will have no one to blame but themselves if they don't make the playoffs.
    Posted by BostonTrollSpanker[/QUOTE]

Thanks, spank....And congrats to you for being able to expose trolls and frontrunners with such aplomb and perspicacity.  They are, indeed, a motley bunch, and I join you in squarely placing the scarlet "T" over any of their suspect posts....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from athens7676. Show athens7676's posts

Why on Earth would the Yanks lay down for the Rays? So they can end of facing them (the team with the FAR superior pitching staff at this point in time) later in the playoffs? There is no "integrity of the game" question here? The Yankees have a responsibility to get their team ready for post season. As annoying as it is, they have earned their right to rest players if they want to. Also, the Sox still have the lead, if they win, they don't have to worry about the Yankees do. I can't imagine ANY team would rather face the Rays pitching staff right now, when the Sox seemingly have not had a quality start in a month. That being said...Lackey and Wakefield will probably both throw shutouts tomorrow.
      I know what you guys are goin through ... my Atlanta Braves are doing the same thing the Sox are doing right now and it is eating me up inside. I can't even watch the games because they find a new way to lose every day. The one silver lining is....if we get in...everyone is 0-0. First to 11 wins is the champ. You never know whats going to happen, and there is not a single team in the playoff hunt that does not have a weakness.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Casey - I actually felt that the Sox stopped playing by the third inning yesterday. If you recall the game that the Yanks threw away against the Rays - they still scored 7 or 8 runs even when losing by double digits. And considering they had played a doubleheader the day before and then partied into the night, I was actually happy with the way they performed.

As to todays doubleheader, I would imagine a split is what you will get. But this could become a real nail biter for Boston. Lackey, I believe has it in him to pitch a decent game. I don't know about Wake.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

LACKEY COULDN'T BEAT THE YANKEES IF ALL THEIR HITTERS
    WERE IN HANDCUFFS. HE'S THAT BAD. HE HAD A "RAG ARM"
    WHEN EPSTEIN SIGNED HIM, AND AT THIS POINT , I DON'T
    THINK THE MEDICAL STAFF OF THE RED SOX IS WORTH ONE
    CENT. JENKS WENT DOWN, BUCHHOLZ WENT DOWN, KALISH
    IS DOWN....YOUKILIS IS DOWN....THE WHOLE TEAM IS
    PLAYING LIKE IT IS OUT OF A HOSPITAL WARD. THE YANKS
    OWE NOTHING TO THE SOX. THEY TAKE CARE OF THEIR OWN...
    AS IT SHOULD BE. LOOK FOR A COMPLETE SWEEP TODAY.
    NOVA WILL TAME THE SOX LIKE LITTLE KITTENS AND THE
    ORIOLES WILL FINISH THE JOB. LOOK FOR HENRY TO
    FIRE BOTH FRANCONA AND EPSTEIN AT SEASON END.
    IT WILL BE THE BEST DECISION, BECAUSE THE FANS WILL
    VOTE WITH THEIR FEET, OTHERWISE. A 34,000 SEAT
    STADIUM CANNOT STAND TO HAVE EMPTY SEATS, AND
    HENRY WILL GET THE MESSAGE....OR HE JUST MIGHT SELL
    THE TEAM AND UNLOAD THIS HEADACHE.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

This whole discussion is idiotic. The Yankees have nothing to do with the RS, unless they are playing each other. 5 games left, put up or shut up as we say in Jersey

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]Yes!!!!!!  Why is this even a question?   The NYY have every right to rest their guys.  They earned the #1 seed in the AL.   The Sox put themselves in this position.
    Posted by ipot[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure why this even a question.

1-They just beat TB 3-4 or else we might not even be the WC right now.
    2-They have every right to rest.  Everyone does the same thing.
    3-We have to win.  We either play better or we'll just extend the season 3 more meaningless games.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

well the redsox control their destiny, so they either will get their heads out of their arses and win some games or they will continue to slide and wont deserve to make the playoffs...and its not looking god with wake and slackey pitching today