Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac32. Show pinstripezac32's posts

Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?:
    Why on Earth would the Yanks lay down for the Rays? So they can end of facing them (the team with the FAR superior pitching staff at this point in time) later in the playoffs? There is no "integrity of the game" question here? The Yankees have a responsibility to get their team ready for post season. As annoying as it is, they have earned their right to rest players if they want to. Also, the Sox still have the lead, if they win, they don't have to worry about the Yankees do. I can't imagine ANY team would rather face the Rays pitching staff right now, when the Sox seemingly have not had a quality start in a month. That being said...Lackey and Wakefield will probably both throw shutouts tomorrow.   I know what you guys are goin through ... my Atlanta Braves are doing the same thing the Sox are doing right now and it is eating me up inside. I can't even watch the games because they find a new way to lose every day. The one silver lining is....if we get in...everyone is 0-0. First to 11 wins is the champ. You never know whats going to happen, and there is not a single team in the playoff hunt that does not have a weakness.
    Posted by athens7676

Why on Earth would the Yanks lay down for the Rays?

You never know whats going to happen,

I think you answered your own question athens

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jrh1194. Show jrh1194's posts

Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?

We control our own destiny not the Yankees. The Sox put themselves in this position and can easily get into the playoffs by winning. It won't matter what the Yankees do against the Rays if the Sox do what they need to do. I still have alot of confidence in this team. They will be in the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sindarin-erebor. Show sindarin-erebor's posts

They won't laydown, but they will set up their rotation for the playoffs and rest regulars that have injuries. That would not be laying down, it would be intelligent, good baseball that any team that has cinched their division does.

Meanwhile we will be playing the O's that will fight hard with every fiber to eliminate the Red Sox.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tetonman50. Show tetonman50's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season?:
    We control our own destiny not the Yankees. The Sox put themselves in this position and can easily get into the playoffs by winning. It won't matter what the Yankees do against the Rays if the Sox do what they need to do. I still have alot of confidence in this team. They will be in the playoffs.
    Posted by jrh1194

We put ourselves in this position, no one else. The real question here should be will the Red Sox lay down for the Rays, not will the Yankees lay down for them. 
    All sox fans hate the Yankees but as a long time Sox fan I can say it is too bad there is no statistic for pride.  I have always been envious of Yankee Pride. It's the foundation of a winning attitude.

Clearly at this point we the way we are looking we don't even belong on the same field with NY, but we do have three games left with the last place team in our league to show if this team FROM THE F.O. on down, has any pride at all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season? : I'm not sure why this even a question. 1-They just beat TB 3-4 or else we might not even be the WC right now. 2-They have every right to rest.  Everyone does the same thing. 3-We have to win.  We either play better or we'll just extend the season 3 more meaningless games.
    Posted by Joebreidey

Agreed, agreed, and agreed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kamdog. Show Kamdog's posts

I expect the Yanks to work on A-Rods timing, so he will be in.  I expect them to keep playing Grandy, Cano, Swisher, and Gardner, resting them in the double header, and another game along the way. 

I expect Jeter, Martin, and Tex to get more rest than the rest of them.

I expect Montero behind the plate, and Posada too, maybe.

All the regular subs, Dickerson, Nunez, Chavez, etc., will see more time so they can get sharp.

As far as the Yanks are concerned, it is about setting up the team, not winning, losing, or laying down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

The Yanks won't lie down, but they also won't over tax themselves to win any of their remaining games...the starters will be used for a comfortable 100 pitches all of the top guys in the pen will pitch to stay sharp and the regulars will play every day unless they're nursing injuries...

Regardless if you're in the lineup or on the mound...you play to win the game! Shields v Noesi need I say more.

End of the Day, with 5 games remaining....if we go 3-2 Tampa has to run the table...Today we're in a must win situation....if we get swept and Tampa wins we're tied with 3 games to go...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lhtak. Show lhtak's posts

THERE IS NO HOUR GOES BY ME WITHOUT THINKING ABOUT THE SOX, I WANTED THEM MAKING THE PLAYOFFS. I DO NOT THINK THEY DESERVE IT THOUGH. IT IS PATHETIC TO EVEN THINK OF GETTING HELP FROM THE YANKEES. I WOULD RATHER NOT HAVE A SEASON IF IT COMES TO THAT. EACH PLAYER IS MORE WORRIED FOR THEIR STATS THAN WINNING A GAME. IN ONE GAME THEY WILL HAVE 3-5 HITS AND THE NEXT GAMES 0-15 OR SO, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? IT IS JUST PAINFUL TO WATCH THE SOX THESE DAYS. I HOPE THEY LEARN THEIR LESSON AND CHANGE THE LEADERSHIP (COACHING STAFF). 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from itllnevahapn. Show itllnevahapn's posts

[QUOTE]leaving the nyy / RS stuff aside  for min would you rather play the better team that is cold as ice, that could......... or the lesser team that's playing better right now same answer
    Posted by pinstripezac32[/QUOTE

if im the yankees, id rather play the sox, rays have a real good pitching staff, while the sox have a suspect staff, troubled bullpen. who would you rather face in game 3, john" its everyones fault but mine" lackey or matt moore?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

The 3 games in Baltimore will be a telling story.    For the Orioles it's their World Series and they'll play all out.    

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Some may be trying to set up an excuse for the Sox failure. Yes , it was the Yankees fault for " lying down " vs, the Rays. The Sox played valiantly , but got a raw deal.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

I expect the Yanks will rest anyone who is gimpy but otherwise I expect them to play hard. I figure they will just want to win out and not move into the playoffs on a losing tip if they can win the games. It should be scrappy and the Sox will have no one to blame but themselves if they don't make the playoffs.---bostontrollspanker
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How does Girardi tell veterans who know nothing but pedal to the metal to take it easy? Or tell September callups to not play too hard. Yankees will go for the jugular as usual.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Friday it was frustrating watching the SF Giants(I’m a Sox fan 1st as my 1st 21 years were in Maine and local fan 2nd) as I was reminded of so many games the Sox played in September. SF got 11 hits and 1 run(wow is that a record ?)  and Diamondbacks got 6 hits and 3 runs & won the division.  Don’t need to be a mathematician to calculate their hit/run ratio was 2:1 and  SF’s was 11:1.  It was a tremendous example of the lack of clutch hitting, something that has befallen us losing 7 games by 1 run and 3 games by 2 runs in Sept when in many games we outhit our opponents.

I would not have felt better if yesterday in our 1st game with the Yankees had we lost 9 to 4-5-6 etc. but we got 9 hits and 1 run and the Yankees got 9 hits 9 runs. 9 to 1 vs 1 hit  to 1 run indicative again of our performance lately with lack of clutch hitting.  

So, in addition to lack of clutch hitting our pitching has been horrible. But for a few games we were able to bail out Lackey’s mediocre performance by giving him some 5-6 runs so I don’t see a fairy waving a magic wand and having our pitching improve tremendously but we should still be able to swing the bats. Their Yankees pitchers today can be hit !  However, I don’t see Yankees laying down against us or the Rays. They didn’t lay down yesterday.   So much of winning in sports is momentum and up to yesterday we were 11-4 vs Yankees and if they sweep today & it ends up 11-7 (+4), should we feel proud of ourselves for winning season series. I hope not !!! Personally, then, and I reiterate, the Yankees will rest some players as that is good baseball but still don’t want anyone to get stale so should play many of their good players against us and the Rays.  But, truthfully, if I were the Yankees, I’d rather play the Sox as I mentioned our momentum is downward with pitching in shambles. Even with the Rays not expected to hit as we are with our stars, they do manage to get clutch hits & their pitching is intact & in a short series they can beat anybody. Don’t forget, the Yankees beat the Rays 3 out of 4 at home but they needed to lock down the division. Plus the previous series the Rays took 3 out of 4 from us and it took a little steam out of them too.  

But, we can no longer depend upon Tampa losing as they have been which has allowed us to keep a 2-3 game lead in the loss column. I believe right now that Tampa, the Jays &  Orioles have more heart than we do. If we don't win at least one game today, we are toast.   The only way we can avoid that is to win and I don't have any more confidence in us doing that even in the last series with Baltimore. Sorry, i'm just disgusted with this team. So, we control our own destiny. "Que sera, sera” ---thank you Doris Day !!!

In the off season, see if we can ship Crawford & throw in Lackey too back to the Angels for Vernon Wells---I don't care how old he is---and Weaver too. Think they'll fall for that trade ?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

The Yanks won't lie down, but they also won't over tax themselves to win any of their remaining games...the starters will be used for a comfortable 100 pitches all of the top guys in the pen will pitch to stay sharp and the regulars will play every day unless they're nursing injuries... Regardless if you're in the lineup or on the mound...you play to win the game! Shields v Noesi need I say more. End of the Day, with 5 games remaining....if we go 3-2 Tampa has to run the table...Today we're in a must win situation....if we get swept and Tampa wins we're tied with 3 games to go...
    Posted by Beantowne

Tell us something we don't already know putz.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Wait...resting players and "laying down" are two totally different things.

The Yanks will, and should, rest many of their starters.  But they're not going to lay down to this Rays' team. 

Beyond that, it's not yet a guarantee that the Rays will win today.  Should they lose today, and the Sox lose both (and the Sox will lose both today), the Sox still hold a lead in the WC.  It will ultimately come down to the Baltimore series, in which they could still be in the driver's seat without having to worry about what the Yanks do against the Rays.

"Laying down" would bring shame to this Yankee team.  It involves intentionally tipping pitches, throwing mid 80s straight fastballs, and playing less than decent defense.  It also means not hustling down the line, not busting a** to make plays on foul balls, and a host of other things.

I hate the Yankees as much as anyone, but one thing they are not is cowards.  And if they lay down, they will be remembered as such.  Particularly when you consider that they might lay down and then got knocked out of the playoffs in the second round.

Someone please name a team that obviously laid down and then won the Division, much less the Series.  I cannot think of one. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wallyac. Show wallyac's posts

Does it really matter, this team is dead.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Does it really matter, this team is dead.
    Posted by wallyac

Yeah, I actually agree with that.  But so are the Yankees after round one.

I'd just rather see the Sox go down in the WC series than like this.  That's a difference that matters.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Some may be trying to set up an excuse for the Sox failure. Yes , it was the Yankees fault for " lying down " vs, the Rays. The Sox played valiantly , but got a raw deal.
    Posted by dgalehouse

I don't see it that way, this thread was started by a yankee fan...unfortunately it's painfully obvious to anyone that has followed the game of baseball for more than a year why the team is in the position it is in today...The Sox pitching staff like it or not has hit a wall and is the chief reason we're in the position we're in no need for excuses. You can hypothosize all you wan't, wax poetically, run all the statistal analysis you want...even take the easy way out and place the lion share of the blame on Francona...

September Record.......5-17
    September runs scored  123
    September runs allowed 151
    Run Differentail............ -18

No matter how you slice it that's not a good formula....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Posted by dgalehouse

At the risk of sounding like the archetypal ingratiating and kiss-azz Yankee troll, dgalehouse, I am really struck by the consistent man-up approach by Red Sox fans on this thread.  Everyone puts the responsibility squarely on the Bosox team shoulders, and no one is pointing to what the Yanks might or might not do.  I just know I would already be resentful if the roles were reversed, assuming the Bosox were to do the same thing in that parallel universe.  A lot of class exhibited here....

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from davescout. Show davescout's posts

It would not matter if our F#ckin team could win a game............

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

yea i guess they have every right to rest their players now that they are the number 1 seed...plus im sure they want to take a closer look at some newbies...too bad for the sox but we put ourselves in this crappy position

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Will the Yanks lay down against the Rays in the last three games of the season? :   At the risk of sounding like the archetypal ingratiating and kiss-azz Yankee troll, dgalehouse, I am really struck by the consistent man-up approach by Red Sox fans on this thread.  Everyone puts the responsibility squarely on the Bosox team shoulders, and no one is pointing to what the Yanks might or might not do.  I just know I would already be resentful if the roles were reversed, assuming the Bosox were to do the same thing in that parallel universe.  A lot of class exhibited here.... Warning : This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it. " Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living. " -  Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )   when the boss comes callin' his take his toll  when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul  when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize          - Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)
    Posted by caseycsw

Casey -I have to disagree with you. The Yanks have now locked home field if they make it to the ALCS. The Yanks only concerns is to make sure CC and Ivan go into the playoffs on a normal rest sequence and then figure out how they will handle game 3. They owe nothing to Boston, Tampa or the Angels.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Casey - did you see the line-up the Yanks are putting out vs. the Sox in game 1of today's doubleheader. Maybe Tampa should file a complaint.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_4411939. Show user_4411939's posts

We need to put the pedal to the metal today and they ease it up for the final 3!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from caseycsw. Show caseycsw's posts

Casey - did you see the line-up the Yanks are putting out vs. the Sox in game 1of today's doubleheader. Maybe Tampa should file a complaint.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Holey moley, eric....Just looked....Pena, Laird and  Dickerson. Well, I guess that just about puts the relevance of this entire thread to sleep....Thanks for the update, I think...

Warning: This post was created by a Yankee fan, and may be intended to cause irreparable emotional and psychological harm to any Red Sox fan who might read it.

"Pray for the dead, and fight like hell for the living."

Mary Harris "Mother" Jones (union and community organizer, born 1837 (Ireland) - 1930 (U.S.) )

when the boss comes callin' his take his toll 
    when the boss comes callin' don't you sell your soul 
    when the boss comes callin' we gotta organize 

- Dropkick Murphys (for the workers of Wisconsin)

Sections
Shortcuts