Will there be a game tonight?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: Will there be a game tonight?

In response to softlaw2's comment:

Without question, requests for additional security from neighboring jurisdictions should be asked for and the game should be played. Fans should be advised to stay home, but not ordered to do so. No way should Muslim jihadists stop this game! 

Great. Why don't you fly in and see if you can get a ticket?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I agree with the decision to be cancelled.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to ms_obstinate's comment:

Nick Cafardo @nickcafardo 4m

David Ortiz said he was informed that tonight's game has been cancelled.

They will have Softy to answer to for doing this!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

I'm not sure anybody is suggesting that the State "order" people to stay home, or that the State "order" the game postponed. I think the debate is about what would be the responsible and prudent act of Red Sox management.

Indeed, I'm not confident that the State has the legal authority to "order" people to stay in their homes. If you look at the language of their statements, they're carefully couched in the language of "request." I don't know what statutory or constitutional authority would allow the State to "order" people to stay in their homes; even the inherent police power of the State has legal limitations that I think would prevent such a blanket "order." Similarly, I don't know what authority they would have to shut down the Sox game.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Glad the Sox FO has common sense. Really was a no-brainer.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

The elimination of the threat of this one man should not be the basis for playing this game or not. If they obtain extra security from outside neighbors, the game should be played. However, if they postpone it for "public safety" reasons, they need to postpone all public events until the complete the investigation into whether or not there are other area Muslim militant terrorists "on the run".

Do you think that the "BIG O", Joe Biden, Hillary, Harry, & Nancy thinks that this has anything to do wiyh Terror   ??????

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

smart move to cancell the game. by going into lockdown you limit the traffic in and out of the city and surrounding areas. It will be much much easier to track the suspect while looking at anything that moves as opposed to picking a needle out of a haystack.

public trans and business were asked to be shut down to prevent a gathering of citizens and reduce injuries of another possible attack.

all smart and sound anti-terrorist tactics. If the game went on it would make their jobs harder in every way. Their forces would be spread even thinner, fenway would be an obvious target and it would make the manhunt much more difficult because of all the traffic going in and out of the area. there will be other baseball games played today...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In response to djcbuffum's comment:

There's a difference between the rule of law and the (temporary) imposition of a police state. One is legislative action taken by elected officials after deliberation. The other is ad hoc, indiscriminate authoritarian use of force or the threat of force on citizens. I'm (generally) comfortable with legislative actions that define and shape our freedoms. I'm far less comfortable with police actions that indescriminately limit citizens' rights to freedom of movement.

I agree that it would be responsible and considerate for Sox management to assist the State in effective allocation of police resources by postponing the game.

My point is, if the suspect(s) remains at large and BPD needs its full manpower, and if it deems the public's safety at risk, I would fully support their position that the game should be called off.  I doubt it would come to a "police state" ...  the Sox would cooperate with any recommendation BPD makes.

But it appears to me that you and I agree on this more than we disagree.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

My point is, if the suspect(s) remains at large and BPD needs its full manpower, and if it deems the public's safety at risk, I would fully support their position that the game should be called off.  I doubt it would come to a "police state" ...  the Sox would cooperate with any recommendation BPD makes.

But it appears to me that you and I agree on this more than we disagree.

Yes, we're largely in agreement. I wouldn't begrudge the State a request to the Sox to please cancel. Given what I'm reading about police who have been on duty for 3-4 days straight, I'm not sure I'd even be upset if the State told the Sox, "if you go ahead and have a game you'll be on your own and there will not be any police presence." A bit coercive, but not outside of responsible use of State power.

Further, I would respect Sox management for doing the responsible thing and not forcing the State to allocate scarce resources to security at routine recreation/big business. That's assuming the State informs the Sox, truthfully, that resources are stretched thin.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

all smart and sound anti-terrorist tactics. If the game went on it would make their jobs harder in every way. Their forces would be spread even thinner, fenway would be an obvious target and it would make the manhunt much more difficult because of all the traffic going in and out of the area. there will be other baseball games played today...

Public safety, undestandably, doesn't have much of track record on "obvious targets".

As for traffic making a public safety manhunt more difficult, let me give you pause to actually think about the matter. The "suspect", and use that term in the criminal justice sense that it has become a part of military operations restrictions, if the city is paralyzied and nearly all people are staying inside behind locked doors, the suspect is less likely to do anything but look for a way to hide out and possibly break in and hold a hostage. If they tell the pubic to go back to their normal routine, play the game, etc., this militant Muslim teenager will be more likely to move again into a position where they might get a chance to aprehend him without another shootout.. And, he's not headed to Fenway to watch baseball so he can have it out for his last stand.

It's too bad Andy Griffith isn't running the "manhunt". 

Softlaw,  You know that our lib/left friends have it all figured out.....  Heck, now I know why the "BIG O" thinks that all borders need to be open !!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

same for The B's and Flyers game, they were urged to remain in their hotels...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from djcbuffum. Show djcbuffum's posts

Mr. Chief Justice HUGHES : "Emergency does not create power. Emergency does not increase granted power or remove or diminish the restrictions imposed upon power granted or reserved. The constitution was adopted in a period of grave emergency. Its grants of power to the federal government and its limitations of the power of the states were determined in the light of emergency, and they are not altered by emergency. What power was thus granted and what limitations were thus imposed are questions which have always been and always will be, the subject of close examination under our constitutional system.

This is correct in principle.

The devil is in the details though. There's plenty of caselaw and statutes that allow police some degree of authority when there are emergency conditions. The "exigent circumstances" exception to the Fourth Amendment limitations on searches and siezures comes to mind. So do the "community caretaker" and "hot pursuit" exceptions. Not that any of these could be used to justify a blanket order by police to all citizens in a neighborhood to stay indoors. They're just examples of "emergencies" that courts have recognized allow government to go beyond the "normal" boundaires of its power.

As I said above, I don't think anyone is suggesting that the State "order" the game shut down.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

Public safety, undestandably, doesn't have much of track record on "obvious targets".

As for traffic making a public safety manhunt more difficult, let me give you pause to actually think about the matter. The "suspect", and use that term in the criminal justice sense that it has become a part of military operations restrictions, if the city is paralyzied and nearly all people are staying inside behind locked doors, the suspect is less likely to do anything but look for a way to hide out and possibly break in and hold a hostage. If they tell the pubic to go back to their normal routine, play the game, etc., this militant Muslim teenager will be more likely to move again into a position where they might get a chance to aprehend him without another shootout.. And, he's not headed to Fenway to watch baseball so he can have it out for his last stand.

You lack any common sense whatsover. While there are certainly crazies out there lurking, they are not currently active and as yet have committed no crime. However, there IS one crazy out there (whose motives we do not yet know despite your assertions about what YOU think is "the truth") who has a gun and probably explosives who IS very active and who is being sought for the protection of innocent civilians. It is simple common sense that all available resources be devoted to capturing or killing this individual and that all measures be taken to facilitate that end-including the cancellation of unimportant baseball and hockey games to prevent crowds from both becoming a target (I am glad to know that you are able to ascertain that this person is not headed to Fenway tonight) and a distraction. Once he is captured or killed sports can and will go on. Its hard to believe that anyone is as just plain dumb as you are in this matter Softy.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

You lack any common sense whatsover. While there are certainly crazies out there lurking, they are not currently active and as yet have committed no crime. However, there IS one crazy out there (whose motives we do not yet know despite your assertions about what YOU think is "the truth") who has a gun and probably explosives who IS very active and who is being sought for the protection of innocent civilians. It is simple common sense that all available resources be devoted to capturing or killing this individual and that all measures be taken to facilitate that end-including the cancellation of unimportant baseball and hockey games to prevent crowds from both becoming a target (I am glad to know that you are able to ascertain that this person is not headed to Fenway tonight) and a distraction. Once he is captured or killed sports can and will go on. Its hard to believe that anyone is as just plain dumb as you are in this matter Softy.

+infinity

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

NO, there will be NO game tonight......  As a former  S O S would say,   "WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE"  ?????

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I of course want the game played, but am fine with Sox management deferring to law enforcement officials and not playing if that is deemed the best way to catch the suspect. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Great. Why don't you fly in and see if you can get a ticket?

I don't buy tickets or go to games in that area. But, great, why don't fly down into your basement and see if you can find a place to crawl into and hide.

How can you be a Red Sox fan if you never been Fenway and you refuse to ever do so?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I guess it makes sense to softy to keep all the streets clear, except for around Fenway.

It's not just about a possible attack on the crowd at Fenway. That chance is probably near zero. It's about everyone staying inside and helping law enforcement as much as possible- a concept softy cannot understand. If GW was in office, it would be OK, but because Obama is, this is just him forcing a police state on the people, or some wild idea like that, I'm sure.