will wake come back?

i just have this bad feeling wake will show up at camp and somehow
    stick with the sox.i love the guy for all the things he does for charity
    but the sox need to move on.look at all the games the sox lost trying
    to get that last win for him.if they won 3 of those games they make
    the playoffs.i hope i am wrong.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Re: will wake come back?

Great thread topic! Just what we need to bring in some fresh posts.... good job dimbulb.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

In Response to will wake come back?:
    [QUOTE]i just have this bad feeling wake will show up at camp and somehow stick with the sox.i love the guy for all the things he does for charity but the sox need to move on.look at all the games the sox lost trying to get that last win for him.if they won 3 of those games they make the playoffs.i hope i am wrong.
    Posted by soxyjim[/QUOTE]

Brilliant! Blame Wake for the September collapse.
    if the defense and BP had not failed, they would have won those games.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

In Response to will wake come back?:
    [QUOTE]i just have this bad feeling wake will show up at camp and somehow stick with the sox.i love the guy for all the things he does for charity but the sox need to move on.look at all the games the sox lost trying to get that last win for him.if they won 3 of those games they make the playoffs.i hope i am wrong.
    Posted by soxyjim[/QUOTE]

Well so far he has not received an invitation to come to camp, so he needs that first before you start having bad feelings.

Although I do agree with you that the team focusing on trying to get Wake's 200th win contributed to the September collapse...it was like the team relaxed after he got it. It was almost like they had reach their goal when he hit 200 and forgot to keep playing to make the postseason.

Momentum plays a huge role in teams winning or losing during that time of year...and the Sox lost all of theirs in September.

Hopefully, Cherington does not extend hi even a minor league contract for Spring Training...as it is definitely time to move on!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I would love to have Wakefield back on a minor league contract.  I don't want to see him making 23 starts for the team, nor do I like him in the BP, but I think he provides good depth and can fill in nicely for those spot starts and shorter term DL stints.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: will wake come back?:
    [QUOTE]I would love to have Wakefield back on a minor league contract.  I don't want to see him making 23 starts for the team, nor do I like him in the BP, but I think he provides good depth and can fill in nicely for those spot starts and shorter term DL stints.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

Kimmi, I agree, as a situational guy out of the pen may be his calling at this stage of his career.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

Wake has worn out his welcome with the Sox...his mouth more than his pitching has pretty much soured the fans.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]Great thread topic! Just what we need to bring in some fresh posts.... good job dimbulb.
    Posted by BurritoT[/QUOTE]

Why not call mr. hanky a "dimbulb"... 1,357 times!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]Wake has worn out his welcome with the Sox...his mouth more than his pitching has pretty much soured the fans.
    Posted by traven[/QUOTE]

What has he said that was rude, crude, dishonest or abusive i.e. the sort of thing that many anti-Wakes "fans" say about him?

Even if he had said something a bit inappropriate, I'd forgive a lot given his long, loyal service....usually at a local discount.  But he never has, he's just a guy that loves baseball, his job, and the Red Sox.

I absolutely want him in the Sox camp to fight for a job....for the Sox' sake, not his.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will wake come back? : Kimmi, I agree, as a situational guy out of the pen may be his calling at this stage of his career.
    Posted by ThatWasMe[/QUOTE]

Hi TWM!

I think Wake can still provide some value to the Sox.  IMO, the question/problem is what to do with him when he's not needed to make a start.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will wake come back? : Hi TWM! I think Wake can still provide some value to the Sox.  IMO, the question/problem is what to do with him when he's not needed to make a start.
    Posted by RedSoxKimmi[/QUOTE]

He's not that bad in relief. Maybe Shoppach can do better than Salty with him. 

He's good for about 12-16 starts, but 23 was too much.
    His 15 starts last year once he became a FT starter:
    5/22 to 8/14
    ERs
    1, 2, 4, 5, 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, 3, 7, 3, 3, 3, 4
    IP (rounded off)
    7, 7, 6, 5, 7, 6, 8, 5, 7, 5, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8

Sox went 10-5 in those 1st 15 starts after joinging the rotation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

There is an idiot on this thread who wants to pay Wastefield a million or two to look fat and stupid and embarrass the team. Will Wake come back? That should be any true Red Sox fan's worst nightmare!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Most people consider the "idiot" to be among the best posters, and the childish name-caller to be among the worst and/or most unwelcome.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

No surprise if Wakefield is with Pawtucket to start the season then given a major league contract as soon as the scrap heap pitchers signed by Cherington last just a few innings in games and overwork the bullpen arms.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jgallag1. Show jgallag1's posts

I actually think they need him as an insurance policy at this point. Right now there's two wide open spots in the rotation and zero proven players to fill them. All they have right now is some hopes and dreams. Folks have been talking like it's only the 5 hole that needs filling, but who says Bard is anything more than a very good setup guy? He's just as unprovn as all the other kids and reclamation projects. If he implodes, how many think that the Sox are gonna get two solid starters out of Cook, Maine etc? Having Wake around is not a bad thing at this point. How many other years have the Sox looked set with a 1-6 rotation and still needed him to step up? At this point it isn't even just about loyalty and sappy fandom. It's actually about necessity.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

wake is not coming back - his season last year was not only bad stats wise - but his futility in reaching 200 really carried over and had a major impact on the collapse....there were worse pitchers for shorter stretches, but no one has pitched consistently more poorly than Wake since the first half of 2009.....i guess he refuses to retire gracefully

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

It's time to move on from Wake

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

It's ironic that the Sox sign all these retreads with chronic health issues, yet have a guy who is willing to work anywhere he is needed and is healthy 90% of the time, and could be signed for peanuts.

Answer me this, all u disloyal fans who want to ride Wake out of town on a rail,
    can Wake still get people out? Does he average about 6 innings per start (among the top three). Is he willing to pitch whenever and wherever he's needed?

The truth is, people don't like Wake because they don't like the knuckleball. Why don't you all just admit that? How anyone can dislike Wake personally is beyond me.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from LadyLake. Show LadyLake's posts

I doubt if there are many here who dislike Wake personally. Softy may be perceived to be one who does but he is just playing a game with us. Many others feel that Wake is finally over-the-hill and has nothing left to bring to the table.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]It's ironic that the Sox sign all these retreads with chronic health issues, yet have a guy who is willing to work anywhere he is needed and is healthy 90% of the time, and could be signed for peanuts. Answer me this, all u disloyal fans who want to ride Wake out of town on a rail, can Wake still get people out? Does he average about 6 innings per start (among the top three). Is he willing to pitch whenever and wherever he's needed? The truth is, people don't like Wake because they don't like the knuckleball. Why don't you all just admit that? How anyone can dislike Wake personally is beyond me.
    Posted by Alibiike[/QUOTE]

Ike, the problem many fans have with Wakefield, that I personally can attest to, is the inconsistency of the knuckleball as a pitch, not the pitcher throwing it.

I agree that Wake could go 5-6 innings on a regular basis but there was always an inning or two when the knuckler was not knuckling and he'd get racked for 3-5 runs. It's that reality that drove fans crazy watching him pitch.

In addition, the guy is now more focused on trying to break records then help the team..nobody cares that he break Clemens total wins record, or whatever!! Plus he's 40 million years old....

...thanks Wake time to hang 'em up.

If this guy was really so effective why wouldn't another team try to bring him in to help them??? I just explained why!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I agree that Wake could go 5-6 innings on a regular basis but there was always an inning or two when the knuckler was not knuckling and he'd get racked for 3-5 runs. It's that reality that drove fans crazy watching him pitch.

1) It drove me crazy watching lackey pitch poorly, then scowl at Tito for coming out to yank him.

2) It drove me crazy to watch Miller walk the bases loaded.

3) It drove me crazy watching the Sox "give a kid a chance" and see Weiland get lit up like a Christmas tree.

They'd all look good for a couple innings, then BAM, they'd let up 4-6 runs.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]I agree that Wake could go 5-6 innings on a regular basis but there was always an inning or two when the knuckler was not knuckling and he'd get racked for 3-5 runs. It's that reality that drove fans crazy watching him pitch. 1) It drove me crazy watching lackey pitch poorly, then scowl at Tito for coming out to yank him. 2) It drove me crazy to watch Miller walk the bases loaded. 3) It drove me crazy watching the Sox "give a kid a chance" and see Weiland get lit up like a Christmas tree. They'd all look good for a couple innings, then BAM, they'd let up 4-6 runs.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

No question about that Moon...but we're talking about 'wakefield' in this topic so I restricted my comments to him.  Just because 3 other guys were just as lame as wakefield, doesn't make it right or appropriate to keep him in the rotation.

As I have mentioned before, I think Wakefield's push for 200 wins became such a distraction that the team thought it was done when he acheived it. The last thing they need is for him to come back and chase Clemens now.

...thanks Tim but don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Peter Abraham makes excellent points on Wakefield, the most important being the Red Sox not wanting to put Bobby Valentine in a position to have to cut Wakefield if they invite him to camp and have to cut him.

Wakefield wants to be in camp. But he had a 5.59 ERA, a 1.49 WHIP and opponents had an .846 OPS against him after July 1 last season. He also turns 46 in August. At some point, being realistic trumps being sentimental and maybe the Red Sox are at that point.

The other issue is this: Let's say they invite Wakefield to camp and tell him there are no promises. The only way he makes the team is to pitch really well. You're putting Bobby Valentine in a tough spot. The last thing a new manager wants is to be the guy who cuts the beloved civic icon.

It's a complicated issue with little upside. What would be the very best you could expect from Wakefield? It's probably 130 innings and a 4.50 ERA or so. That's the top line. Is that worth the risk of Wakefield pitching poorly and ending his career ignominiously?

Pitchers and catchers report on Feb. 19 and it's Feb. 3. Based on that, it looks like the Red Sox have made their decision on Wakefield.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No question about that Moon...but we're talking about 'wakefield' in this topic so I restricted my comments to him.  Just because 3 other guys were just as lame as wakefield, doesn't make it right or appropriate to keep him in the rotation.

The "other 3" weren't "just as lame": they were worse.
    Right now, Wake looks like as good an option as Silva, Cook, and Padilla, but adding him to the mix wouldn't really make much of a difference.

As I have mentioned before, I think Wakefield's push for 200 wins became such a distraction that the team thought it was done when he acheived it. The last thing they need is for him to come back and chase Clemens now.

With all due respect: baloney. If his chase for the record distracted the team from winning, then this team was not a winning team anyway. I seriously doubt anyone even gave his record chase a minute's thought.

...thanks Tim but don't let the door hit you in the backside on the way out!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: will wake come back? : He's not that bad in relief. Maybe Shoppach can do better than Salty with him.  He's good for about 12-16 starts, but 23 was too much. His 15 starts last year once he became a FT starter: 5/22 to 8/14 ERs 1, 2, 4, 5, 2, 3, 5, 5, 3, 3, 7, 3, 3, 3, 4 IP (rounded off) 7, 7, 6, 5, 7, 6, 8, 5, 7, 5, 6, 7, 7, 7, 8 Sox went 10-5 in those 1st 15 starts after joinging the rotation.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

I agree Moon, Wake should be good for about 12-15 starts, and I would have no problem with him being our #6 or #7 guy.  But again, my concern is what to do with him when he's not in the rotation.

He numbers as a reliever were not that bad.  However, in most of the games where he pitched in relief, he came in when the Sox were down by 4 runs or more or were ahead by a large margin.  I just think that BP spot could be better utilized.

Sections
Shortcuts