Will we panic

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

Will we panic

This is in antipation that if the Sox don't exactly dazzle on the West Coast, the freakout part of fandom will be reaing its ugly head.  I am thinking that if they go 5-5 on the trip, that's okay and it doesn't reflect anything with lon term consequences.  It would not shock me if they go 4-6 even and the homestand of 8-1 gives them a little cover.

That doesn't mean that on a game to game basis, I wouldn't be disappointed if they lost, but reality tells me they are going to lose a few every now and then.

I prefer to look at things over the long haul.  For instance, when the homestand started I was thinking 6-3 would be fine.  2-0, 2-2, 2-1.  I don't like to assume sweeps, especially three game sweeps, so I was not oone who was going to head for bridge had they not swept SD.  To win a four game series is tough, so I always assume 2-2.  That they went 8-1 was phenomenal.

Before the season started I looked at things this way.  They really were not as bad as their record showed.  I think they gave up at a certain point and it just snowballed out of control.  I felt that rather than a 69 win team, they were probably more of a 77 win team.  Nothing to write home about, but witha  few changes they would be a little better.

I went into the season thinking 81-81 was that minor improvement.  After 69-83 or even 77-85, I would have been good with that.  Playoffs was an aftethought.  I felt that if a few things broke right, 85-77 was in the cards and while that would not get them into the playoffs, they would at least be hanging around in September for awhile and making it worth watching.

And if they appeared to be in the hunt somewhat, maybe a little more breaking their way gets them to 88 and that puts them right there until the end.  At 88, they might come up short, but they also might sneak in and after last year, that is a major accomplishment.

Early in the season, I said if they got to 10 over .500, they would not see .500 again.  They got to 12 and then had a bit of a slump that took them to 5, but that was it.  Then it got back to 10, to 15 now 20 is on the doorstep.  It is getting close to the point that I don't think they will go under 10 and that is 86-76.  most people would have more than fine with that in Spring training.  Now it would take some extended bad play.  How disappointed would 86 wins be now.

I know they collapsed big time in 2011, but i truly do not see that happening again.  For one, I think the starting pitching is much deeper than it was in 2011.  So I think that while they could have a September that might not be the best, 7-19 is unlikely.

On the other hand, so I see 100 wins, probably not, even though they are on pace for 98.6.  That will come down.  .600 is what you like to see them play.  If they do that they win 96.  To be honest, I see no less than 92 and with that, they will be in the playoffs.  That might also get them the east, given how even the teams are.

This has been and will continue to be a fun season.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

Re: Will we panic

The point is almost a given ...

some will panic.

You make good points on how well the homestand went, especially since the Jays had that long winning streak prior to arriving at the Fens.  Talking heads were already re-annointing Toronto as the "of course" division winner as it pulled within a tiny comparative .  Then they stumbled .... and have fallen well back again.  Even the birds and rays fell back some.

The west coast trip is often a crucible ... now it is even more of a looming hardship.  The A's are solid, the M's are stronger than they have been in years (with the exception of last year), and the Angels are potentially explosive and a single shake may just bring about a nitro reaction...

Like the O's, the Angels are no longer Sox doormats.  The A's have had our number in the past in ways that were inexplicalbe then, but now they are good, so there is reason to expect good play.

If the trip is an unmittigated disassembling, many will make it the template for sure failure ... But I think there is a slight correction due anyway ... I will be surprised but all the more impressed with this team if they come back any where near 5-5 or 6-4. 

Suffice it to say, that I am extremely impressed with the club.  The scouting and decision making that Ben, et al., continues to be a sauve for the pessemist in me .... Outstanding.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

I try to enjoy the Red Sox whether they're winning or losing.  If things start looking gloomy, I tend to tune out and turn my attention to other recreational pursuits instead of wasting energy moaning about what could have been.  Right now, I'm in a Red Sox zone.  I'm feeling rather bullish, and somewhat giddy at times, about their chances.  Folks who know me around here know that it's unlike me to make predictions, but I said they would sweep San Diego and go six and four on the road trip.  It's not as much about their opponents as it is about how well the team has coalesced.  I don't look at other teams and think, "___(insert team)__ looks scary right now, the Red Sox are going to have a difficult time beating those worldbeaters."  Heck no, the Red Sox are the current Worldbeaters, Big Bad Wolves, Kings of the Forest, Pez Gordos, what have you.  Let those other teams think, "Oh, if we can just steal one against those Red Sox, we'll be doing ok."  

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Yes, we will all panic, and I will be first in line, storming Yawkee way with ropes and torches.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

'Will panic' is wrong.  Some posters already have the 'collapse' post already written and saved on Word.  They are just waiting launch it.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Yes, we will all panic, and I will be first in line, storming Yawkee way with ropes and torches.

So you say you will be right behind pumpsie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

Good start tonight...Doubrant outpitched Wilson...I didn't expect to see that...but I will sure take it. The Sox usually look flat in the first game of a west coast trip...but having a  day game yesterday sure seemed to help them get to LA a little earlier and maybe helped a little in the outcome of the game also. The Angels have  been playing well ...over the last 45 games I think they are close to .600 ball and the A's are in first place so this will be a tough road trip and Hernandez and Iwakuma won't allow things to be all that easy in Seattle but if you take the games one day at a time good things can happen.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to kannaman's comment:

Good start tonight...Doubrant outpitched Wilson...I didn't expect to see that...but I will sure take it. The Sox usually look flat in the first game of a west coast trip...but having a  day game yesterday sure seemed to help them get to LA a little earlier and maybe helped a little in the outcome of the game also. The Angels have  been playing well ...over the last 45 games I think they are close to .600 ball and the A's are in first place so this will be a tough road trip and Hernandez and Iwakuma won't allow things to be all that easy in Seattle but if you take the games one day at a time good things can happen.

It will be tougher for the Angels, Mariners, and A's.  No one wants to face the Red Sox right now.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

[QUOTE]

It will be tougher for the Angels, Mariners, and A's.  No one wants to face the Red Sox right now.  

That's true...the Sox are playing great right now...timely hitting and starting pitchers going deep into games. The less you use your pen...the better they will be. I like our chances in the next 2 games against the Angels...Dempster has been pitching well and Lackey has been pitching great...but probably better just to take it one game at a time and see what happens.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

When you say "will we panic" are your referring to the Sox or their fanbase?

The fanbase will panic and call for heads to roll is a runner is left stranded at third base any any point this season...

“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me. Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”

-Shel Silverstein

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Oh ... Panic I thought I you said picnic !!!
    Wear your hat with pride or take it off!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Nobody ever panics on Boston.com frontburner forums.

They just rant and rave, which is normal as would be 98.6 wins.

If posters panic, they might jump off the bridge. Which would be a welcome change if the right ones jump.

"There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory.-Josh Billings

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well, technically, he would be behind me if Im first in line.........

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Oh, you know better than that KMan. I have already drawn up a list of bridges. Some will be occupied, but I am sure I can find an appropriate one that is free.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts