Will Yankees be interested in Napoli?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Will Yankees be interested in Napoli?

Mike Napoli has ridiculous career numbers vs. the Yankees: 342/457/651

His numbers vs. the Sox are also large: 288/379/696

If the Sox don't re-sign Nap, is it possible the Yankees will be interested?

He could be slotted as DH/backup 1B.

The Yanks have a horrible .596 OPS from their DH's this year.

This would be a nice little PR play in what could be a difficult offseason for them.  A way to spite the Red Sox?  You bet.

They would get a player who murders them and also has great numbers vs. us.

As for the cost, well, they did pay Youkilis $12 million this year just to be a stopgap for A-Rod.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Re: Will Yankees be interested in Napoli?

do the math on the yankees payroll and what they need

they need to shred $50 million dollars

they need to resign Cano

they are losing PEDITTE, Kuroda, Chamberlain, Rivera, Hughes and Granderson

they have no catcher

how are they going to fill all of those holes, reduce payroll, and add Napoli, a 1B, when they already have the most overpaid 1B in history?

it would be a stupid move

although, they do have Ca$hman signing the contracts so anything is possible

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

Hope we keep him.  Just looked at the numbers....compared to the guy that we had playing 1b last year, Naps has more HRs, better OBP and better OPS.  He only has 6 less RBI's but played in 12 fewer games.......and oh yeah...the other guy gets paid twice as much!  Remember when Softy said that he was a waste of money and that they should have kept Gomez at 1B?????  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to BurritoT-'s comment:

It would be stupid if we brought Napoli back for more than 2 years.... stupid

For more than 2 years??  I think I agree with that.....2 years?  Perfect.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Cashman is no dummy, and I don't think he goes after Napoli. 

Of the big four free agents for the Sox--Ellsbury, Salty, Napoli, and Drew--I continue to think the Sox try hardest to keep Salty and Drew.  Ellsbury is likely to be too expensive.  Napoli has the strikeouts and the hip issue, but he has definitely had a very good season and fits well with this team. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to Kingface12's comment:

2 years for 14 to 16 million total would be okay. Anything more than that is overpaying.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to 37stories' comment:

In response to Kingface12's comment:

2 years for 14 to 16 million total would be okay. Anything more than that is overpaying.

I agree.  I do think that they should work something into the contract regarding health like they did this year.  The fact is...he has a hip issue that GETS WORSE....not better.  So you know that no team will offer him a lot of years with a ton of garanteed cash.  I think if the Sox gave him 7 a year garanteed with incentive bonuses for games played and certain stats that could increase it to 13 like this year...he would be happy with that.  It would be a large bump in base and give him the incentives to boost up the overall value.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

such an offer should be the way everyday..... nice base plus rewarding incentives.

That's a nice idea, until another GM offers more guaranteed money.

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Yankees will go after Drew before they go after Napoli. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Yankees will go after Drew before they go after Napoli. 

Yep.....agreed.  Rumor is swirling that the Yanks are very interested in Drew.  Who can blame them?  Above average defender that can hit.  Plus in that small stadium he could do some damage.  At this point Jeter is no more than a DH.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

they will be knocking $30MM off payroll with Selig's gift to the yankees.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Let them take Napoli and Drew.... no different then when they took Boomer and Tiant... we are the team to beat in 2014, 2015, 2016 with or without Napoli/Drew.

Positive Clown!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Not unless they plan on DH'ing him. Tiexiera at first, Napoli too infirmed to catch every day.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Yankees wont try to get Napoli if Jeter, A-rod, Texeria, etc always getting hurt, and may need bat DH for the most of the times.  

Yankees should be smart to go after Justin Mononeu instead who bat left handed and a perfect fit hitter at the Yankee stadium.

But the Yankees need Cano to return as well they need SS, LF, C and SP badly.  Maybe 3B if Youkilis is not 100% healthy as well A-Rod could be finally suspended.

That is alot of holes that they need to fill in!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to TheExaminer's comment:

Not unless they plan on DH'ing him. Tiexiera at first, Napoli too infirmed to catch every day. 

DH & backup 1B is what I said.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Hfx talks about "muderous" numbers.... big woooopie. He had a whopping murderous 77 career ab's here and Hfx championed him for 35/110. Dumb line of thinking.

I'm quite sure I didn't make any predictions about 35/110.  I just bumped Drewski's thread about Napoli where I made a few comments.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Mike Napoli has ridiculous career numbers vs. the Yankees: 342/457/651

His numbers vs. the Sox are also large: 288/379/696

If the Sox don't re-sign Nap, is it possible the Yankees will be interested?

He could be slotted as DH/backup 1B.

The Yanks have a horrible .596 OPS from their DH's this year.

This would be a nice little PR play in what could be a difficult offseason for them.  A way to spite the Red Sox?  You bet.

They would get a player who murders them and also has great numbers vs. us.

As for the cost, well, they did pay Youkilis $12 million this year just to be a stopgap for A-Rod.

It seems to me the yankees will go after all the sox free agents.  Napoli, Drew, Salty, Ellsbury could all help the yankees next year.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to greenwellforpresident's comment:

It seems to me the yankees will go after all the sox free agents.  Napoli, Drew, Salty, Ellsbury could all help the yankees next year.

You've got Yankeephobia like me.  Never trust those guys.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Let them take Napoli and Drew.... no different then when they took Boomer and Tiant... we are the team to beat in 2014, 2015, 2016 with or without Napoli/Drew.

Fine with me, they can take them (although I'd love Napoli to accept a QO)

But I want their draft picks as well......I mean, I want two draft picks and the Yankees to lose theirs. 

Sections
Shortcuts