Will Yankees be interested in Napoli?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Will Yankees be interested in Napoli?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/15/sports/sports-times-after-dust-up-with-jeter-steinbrenner-may-be-throwing-brushback.html?n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fR%2fRodriguez%2c%20Alex

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

I wish people would stop talking about what Ells would cost. First, look backward at the average number of games he's actually played per season, not including this walk year. This year year he's making every effort to be on the field, and we can still see how brittle he is.

Then divide the salary number by the number of games played. That's your real cost for Ells.

There's just no comparison between that number and a similar one for Peedy, who you have to physically tie up in the clubhouse to keep off the field.

The other important cost for an Ells that will happily sit out most of a season with a fat salary is the opportunity cost of what you might have got for the same money. That money will buy a lot.

So make the QO, take the comp pick and move on. Please!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Mike Napoli has ridiculous career numbers vs. the Yankees: 342/457/651

His numbers vs. the Sox are also large: 288/379/696

If the Sox don't re-sign Nap, is it possible the Yankees will be interested?

He could be slotted as DH/backup 1B.

The Yanks have a horrible .596 OPS from their DH's this year.

This would be a nice little PR play in what could be a difficult offseason for them.  A way to spite the Red Sox?  You bet.

They would get a player who murders them and also has great numbers vs. us.

As for the cost, well, they did pay Youkilis $12 million this year just to be a stopgap for A-Rod.

Never, They need to get younger not older and slower.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac35. Show pinstripezac35's posts

In response to MustangBri's comment:

Oh,  he should be suspended no doubt.  And without pay.  But..... 

Yanks should assume that hit(30m) on their overall salary cap.  You traded for him,  you ripped-up his old and gave him a new contract,  you reaped the benefits of his being on the junk(hello 2009)....  you should feel some repercussions from his obvious cheating while benefitting your team.   Hell,  you're benefitting right now from his playing and affecting a playoff race while still dirty,  and you will benefit next year when you can slot that 30m to other FA's.

other than the fact they didn't  '' ripped-up his old''

and that's not what all parties agreed to

I don't disagree much

All other players are serving/served their time... 

true but  melky and others in the past

have appealed & played before their serving their punishment

but not Slappy.  He's special.  Such arrogance.

which slappy R U talking about

arod or pedrioa

how can RSN still call arod slappy

when the former laser show did the same thing

in the PO vs clev

as far as the others go

can  you not see the difference between 50 & 211 games

Must have been a heart tease for him seeing Mo get such adoration from Boston fan while he reaps such wrath and hatred where ever he goes.  I guess he'll cry all the way to the bank.

it might of bothered him

but nothing like it will when jeet get's his ;-)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to lasitter's comment:

I wish people would stop talking about what Ells would cost. First, look backward at the average number of games he's actually played per season, not including this walk year. This year year he's making every effort to be on the field, and we can still see how brittle he is.

Then divide the salary number by the number of games played. That's your real cost for Ells.

There's just no comparison between that number and a similar one for Peedy, who you have to physically tie up in the clubhouse to keep off the field.

The other important cost for an Ells that will happily sit out most of a season with a fat salary is the opportunity cost of what you might have got for the same money. That money will buy a lot.

So make the QO, take the comp pick and move on. Please!

That's ridiculous.  count out this year because he's "making an effort to stay on the field"

If he was missing 1-3 games a week in the mold of J.D. Drew you would have a basis for an argument, a STARTING point but this is just absurd.  He missed prolonged playing time on two occasions, and when he was healthy has been an everyday player.

You can't just arbitrariliy take out a season.

As far as I'm concerned (and I have an extensive background with health and human performance) I'd weight someones injuries to how they were injured related to baseball activities; were they injured from sliding, swinging a bat, running the bases, diving after balls???? or were the injured because a gorilla fell on them awkwardly or a bus rammed into their knees?

I agree they should offer the pick and move on, but the notion that he milks injuries is completely speculated, ill informed and false. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

arod or pedrioa

how can RSN still call arod slappy

when the former laser show did the same thing

in the PO vs clev

Because A-Rod is a lying, cheating s**mbag of historical proportions, that's how.

The better question is, how can any self-respecting baseball fan even think about defending him?

I love the smell of asphalt in the morning.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Boeggy is your SS next year.  That's why they traded Iggy.

You need a defensive, affordable SS to back him up - not Drew who will be seeking a 2/20 deal.  It makes no sense.  You don't sign a guy for 2/20 to be a back up. 

I am not worried about the IF next season.  Deal w/ the OF and Catcher and the pen......

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc1944. Show MadMc1944's posts

Back up infielders for the Sox in 2014; McDonald or Brock .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

Drew wants a multi year deal, Drew came here to get a multi year deal.  The argument could be made that he won't get 14 million a year and therefore he should take the Q.O.

But knowing what he wants and the fact that he knows the direction the Sox are going in coupled with Boras knowing the market and knowing there are a lot of teams looking for SS leads me to believe he leaves.  He will turn down a Q.O. and somebody will offer him 3/30 or something similiar.  One may argue that it would make more sense for him to take 14 million for one year as opposed to 28/30 over 3 and you would be right, there would be players who would be inclined to take the one year....But I'm pretty confident Drew is walking.

Napoli on the other hand, I think has a serious chance of accepting a Q.O.  I'd rather commit to him for one more year than 2-3 and reevalute the market in a year.  If the Sox offer a Q.O. and he accepts, GREAT! if he doesn't then that means there is likely a strong market for him and we would have to over pay, THANK YOU I'll take the draft pick.  To me it's really a win win.  

But as I said before the Yankees would be much more interested in Drew over Napoli, and I'd be damned if I let them sign Drew without losing a draft pick.  

2014 starting SS: Xander Bogaerts, is this really up for debate???

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

Drew wants a multi year deal, Drew came here to get a multi year deal.  The argument could be made that he won't get 14 million a year and therefore he should take the Q.O.

But knowing what he wants and the fact that he knows the direction the Sox are going in coupled with Boras knowing the market and knowing there are a lot of teams looking for SS leads me to believe he leaves.  He will turn down a Q.O. and somebody will offer him 3/30 or something similiar.  One may argue that it would make more sense for him to take 14 million for one year as opposed to 28/30 over 3 and you would be right, there would be players who would be inclined to take the one year....But I'm pretty confident Drew is walking.

Napoli on the other hand, I think has a serious chance of accepting a Q.O.  I'd rather commit to him for one more year than 2-3 and reevalute the market in a year.  If the Sox offer a Q.O. and he accepts, GREAT! if he doesn't then that means there is likely a strong market for him and we would have to over pay, THANK YOU I'll take the draft pick.  To me it's really a win win.  

But as I said before the Yankees would be much more interested in Drew over Napoli, and I'd be damned if I let them sign Drew without losing a draft pick.  

2014 starting SS: Xander Bogaerts, is this really up for debate???

Lot of what you said is accurate but I don't see NY being a player for Drew.

Yanks have a limited budget and numerous holes to fill.

Nothing coming up from their farm system to plug any of their holes.

Combine Jeter's salary with Drew's and your looking at 25M tied up at SS.

Jeter won't be the everyday DH with so many starters on the team needing rest in that slot.

I don't see Drew back with Boston but I hope they do. I'am not sold on Middlebrooks especially his defense. I'd like him better at first if Napoli walks.