Will Yankees remove Jeter from SS before season's end?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Re: Will Yankees remove Jeter from SS before season's end?

as for the offensive side of mr jeter....i would LOVE to see JF incorporate the reverse shift during his AB's tonight.  3 IFers on the rightside of IF.....

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from fl+adam,. Show fl+adam,'s posts

For a guy with so many GG's it is amazing how poor his D is, especially his range.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

He certainly looked bad last night.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

as for the offensive side of mr jeter....i would LOVE to see JF incorporate the reverse shift during his AB's tonight.  3 IFers on the rightside of IF.....

That's a very good idea--hopefully JF is reading. The concern is Jeter will bunt to get on unlike Ortiz or some other hitter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

Michael Pineda suspended 10 games boston sports hub 97.5 reported 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stinkman. Show stinkman's posts

In response to stinkman's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Michael Pineda suspended 10 games boston sports hub 97.5 reported 

[/QUOTE]

98.5 I mean

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The Yankees will have Brendan Ryan off the DL shortly--he is as good a SS defender as Drew and within a 10 point range batting . I would consider moving Jeter to 3B and I think Jete would move when Ryan gets back. 

Many more nights like last night and I think he would move for the good of the team.

The AJP grounder up the middle had a lot of "english" on it--that was not as easy a play as the average viewer thinks. Pursuing the ball and a side spin--I don't think he ever touched the ball.

He has been great to watch for a long time--this is a Sox fan writing. I'll never forget the effort he made against the Sox at the Stadium, with Nomar looking on from the dugout, diving head first into the boxes after a foul ball. He's some competitor.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I just think the NYY are too anal to move him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I just think the NYY are too anal to move him.

[/QUOTE]

nhs-----you are probably right. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to slasher9's comment:

While his defense now is awful, I'm amazed he's playing as well as he is.

I doubt his ankle isn't zinging him.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from steven11. Show steven11's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He's a Yankee legend and a Hall of Famer and deservedly so, but can they really continue to let the man play SS?  You saw it tonight.  It was not pretty. 

[/QUOTE]

one of those throws should have been caught by Tex.  The glove sweep by tex was ugly. Not sure if that was last night or the night before.  He is ok and it will take some really off the mark throws to get him out.  Plus he has had seasons of multiple errors even in his youth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

Joel Sherman:

Michael Pineda’s 10-game suspension ends Tuesday. The Yankees can return to a 25-man roster. It is likely the addition is going to be Brendan Ryan.

Once that happens, Girardi will have to decide how often Ryan plays shortstop in place of Derek Jeter.

In any other year, that would be a no-brainer. Jeter is among the best hitters ever, certainly on the short list at shortstop. Ryan is among the worst hitters of recent vintage — his .619 OPS is second-worst among active hitters with at least 2,500 plate appearances.

But, at present, Jeter is hitting like Ryan — his .582 OPS ranks 172nd out of 187 qualifiers. And if that is the case and you believe it is going to continue, then there really is no comparison defensively — Ryan is a whiz and Jeter, well, the best you can say is if the ball is hit at him, he will make the play.

Understanding the explosive nature of the storyline, Brian Cashman told me “I am not going there” in discussing whether Jeter needs to be dropped from No. 2 in the lineup or turned into less than a full-time shortstop or even whether Ryan simply needs to play defense late in games the Yanks lead.

Cashman spoke broadly about there being a number of issues he is focused upon. “I am not going to talk individually about my state of concern about Derek Jeter,” he said. “I don’t want to feed those flames. The questions you are asking have a chance to play out in large, so I am not gong there. We are obviously always analyzing every aspect of the club.”

When I asked, however, whether Girardi has autonomy with who hits where in the lineup and who starts — and who doesn’t — the Yankees general manager responded with one word: “Yes.” So, remember, Girardi was the manager who transitioned Jeter’s pal, Jorge Posada, from catcher to part-time catcher to DH to bottom third of the lineup. All against Posada’s wishes, often to Posada’s fury.

On April 12, Jeter did not start against the Red Sox, and when asked if this was alienating fans who bought tickets hoping to see Jeter for the last time, Girardi made news by saying, “I wasn’t hired to put on a farewell tour.”

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to fl+adam,'s comment:
    [QUOTE]

For a guy with so many GG's it is amazing how poor his D is, especially his range.

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  If a person were trying to make the case that the GG is a joke award Jeter's performance would be the first exhibit. 

Sometimes the GG is given out almost as a position-by-position MVP award and sometimes it appears to be a Lifetime Achievement  Award.  Whatever, it doesn't have much credibility as a fielding award.

Having the right to do something doesn't make it the right thing to do.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The Gold Glove Award is about an authentic as ARod's Home Runs, Pettite's Wins, and oh yeah Jeter's "Jeffrey Maier" HR

Anyways, hope he puts up a big fight w/ Mgt to remain a SS/#2 hitter.  Even Brian Roberts is a better hitter than Jeter and he's not even a major league hitter............

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

In response to andrewmitch's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Gold Glove Award is about an authentic as ARod's Home Runs, Pettite's Wins, and oh yeah Jeter's "Jeffrey Maier" HR

Anyways, hope he puts up a big fight w/ Mgt to remain a SS/#2 hitter.  Even Brian Roberts is a better hitter than Jeter and he's not even a major league hitter............

[/QUOTE] just wondering..are you talking post-injury??

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

For ARod and Pettite?  That goes back a long way.  Jeffrey Maier had nothing to do with his injury (one of the most sickening things in baseball I have ever seen was when his daddy put him on his shoulders and everyone treated him like a King).........Brian Roberts hasn't been a ML hitter for years.  Hard to say "pre-injury" b/c he's had so many but for a few years now and certainly today.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[QUOTE]

For ARod and Pettite?  That goes back a long way.  Jeffrey Maier had nothing to do with his injury (one of the most sickening things in baseball I have ever seen was when his daddy put him on his shoulders and everyone treated him like a King).........Brian Roberts hasn't been a ML hitter for years.  Hard to say "pre-injury" b/c he's had so many but for a few years now and certainly today.

[/QUOTE] no, i was only asking about Roberts...and point taken

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...OPS race between Jeter and Roberts shapes up as a good battle this year. :-)

Much as I'd like to, I wouldn't write off Jeter with the bat just yet. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

[QUOTE]

Much as I'd like to, I wouldn't write off Jeter with the bat just yet. 

[/QUOTE]

agreed.  there was that year a few years ago that he got off to a terrible start and yankees fans were actually booing jeter.  yup, they did.  they boo'd the great derek jeter.  he ended the year with pretty close to his "norm".

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hingham Hammer. Show Hingham Hammer's posts

In response to jete02fan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE] just wondering..are you talking post-injury??

[/QUOTE]

Jeter fans (and I'am one of many) can only hope that his last season ends with dignity which btw is slipping.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

The best part is that he will the Gold Glove this year

That way we can really just completely ignore that award altogether; especially the other ones he has handed out

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I'm wondering when Girardi gets off the anal wagon and plays Ryan at SS. I also believe Cashman whispers in his ear, or Jeter would be demoted sooner. Play him at DH if he starts hitting, or tell him to take grounders at 3B; that's what HOFers Ripken and Rizzuto did, and Ripken by the time he was 30-ish.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

In response to nhsteven's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I'm wondering when Girardi gets off the anal wagon and plays Ryan at SS. I also believe Cashman whispers in his ear, or Jeter would be demoted sooner. Play him at DH if he starts hitting, or tell him to take grounders at 3B; that's what HOFers Ripken and Rizzuto did, and Ripken by the time he was 30-ish.

[/QUOTE]

I tend to think it would be different if Smilin' Joe wasn't his ex-teammate. 

Bad for yankee fans, great for us.  Let the Jeter Farewell Tour continue.  Bat him 2nd and play him at SS.  I can almost guarantee you that is VERY IMPORTANT for Jeter's mental legacy; so he can say he stayed at SS and in the top of the order all the way to the end; unlike Ripken, Trammel, Yount, and others.....

But to play him at 3B would be nuts - you need to hit to play 3b.  Jeter should be used sparingly.  Really as a back up.  Even Yaz was regulated to Pinch Hitting in his last season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

He's a Yankee legend and a Hall of Famer and deservedly so, but can they really continue to let the man play SS?  You saw it tonight.  It was not pretty. 

[/QUOTE] There is a good chance .............   COGGLINS LAW........  "Legends have only one direction to end up"  !!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

Even Yaz was regulated to Pinch Hitting in his last season.

[/QUOTE]

I think you mean Designated Hitting?  You made me look it up.

Old Yaz managed a 266/359/408 (767 OPS/106 OPS+) his last season with 10 HR, in 437 PA's, at age 43.  Not bad.