Wish it was Iggy's time also!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

Wish it was Iggy's time also!

What's overshadowed in the JBJ Opening Day celebration, which could not be overstated, is the terrific job Iggy did!  In fact, I wish with all my heart that Drew was not coming back!  Nothing against Drew necessarily, but I've always thought it was wasted money.  So much so that the strongest argument for bringing him right back was, "you can't have 9.5 mission sitting on the bench.  If not for this rediculous contract, I would be all for riding Iggy all the way.  I thought Iggy also showed pretty decent plate discipline last night, and had several key hits.  One double play I recall him turning was no lock for Drew.  I'm not convinced that drews bat even comes close to matching the + of Iggy's D???

Having said this, many of you will recall me saying that Iggy wasn't even close last year.  I may have even made some reference to him not being able to hit the broad side of a barn.  You would have a very fair point in giving me a thump.  Still, Drew's signing was so rediculous, considering the money, and he is SO uninspiring with respect to his stats (big sample), that I simply would much prefer to go with Iggy strictly for the D and hope for the best with his bat and speed.

Sending Iggy down when Drew returns is almost as big a question as to the JBJ conundrum?  Perhaps even bigger????

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chickenandboose. Show chickenandboose's posts

Re: Wish it was Iggy's time also!

Didn't Mike Lowell get benched with his 10-15M contract in his final season?

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

I honestly think they feel good about Iglesias but just wanted to give him a little more development time. If Drew were not hurt he would be in there. They only gave Drew a 1 year contract. They know what they have in Iglesias. They just think they could improve him further and make him a better player before throwing him into the fold fulltime. It's only a matter of time.

It may well be though that if Iglesias plays well they may slot him with the big club anyway but I'd say it's 90% likely he goes down to AAA soon.

And by the way, JBJ still may very well be better off with some development time also. He has to hit extremely well to stay with the big club IMO. OBP of .370 with hopefully at least some pop.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

JBJ makes a lot of contact and certainly has on base ability but we don't realistically see him as a .300 hitter on day one in the majors do we. I think we all like him as a player but he still may well make a trip down to Pawtucket. Or 2.

I think we are a better team with him on it right now and probably all year but it may be that he could still benefit from additional development time. We all are confident he makes it but we should keep an open mind on what his needs are long term.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Why wouldn't Drew be a great bench player in the event that Farrell decides to play Iggy every day.?  Don't we want an All-star bench?

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly!  He seems to me to be the perfect "utility infielder!"  It probably would not sit well with him, or the FO, to have your almost $10 Million man, yet another in a long line of high priced SS "bridge players" who likely underperforms for the $$$, but I personally couldn't care less about how he feels about it.  That's probably a bit harsh, and somewhat unfair to Drew, given the fact that he hasn't even gotten a real shot, but I'm ready to move on and finally see if IGGY can step up? 

If Iggy continues to perform, on a regular basis, I would stick with the hot HANDS.  There is no telling what excitement, energy, and real production IGGY and JBJ could bring to this team???  I think it's well worth giving it a shot.  Having Drew, and eventually (when and if Papi comes back) Gomes as the CORE of a high powered bench.

If our top three pitchers, Lester, Buch, & Doubie, do what I think they will, and our BP does what we all think they will, I think we have plenty of bats and power, PLUS perhaps one of the BEST fielding teams in the mlb, to potentially lead us to the top of the AL East???  I honestly believe this!

Is anybody remotely interested in struggling through depending upon yet another underperforming Drew?  No entirely fair, but it is what it likely will be......

IT's TIME!!!  Go with the kid!  What a JOLT to Red Sox Nation this would be! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:

JBJ makes a lot of contact and certainly has on base ability but we don't realistically see him as a .300 hitter on day one in the majors do we. I think we all like him as a player but he still may well make a trip down to Pawtucket. Or 2.

I think we are a better team with him on it right now and probably all year but it may be that he could still benefit from additional development time. We all are confident he makes it but we should keep an open mind on what his needs are long term.

I think there is a good chance JBJ hits .300 or has an OBP over .360, but I still want him for that extra year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

I honestly think they feel good about Iglesias but just wanted to give him a little more development time. If Drew were not hurt he would be in there. They only gave Drew a 1 year contract. They know what they have in Iglesias. They just think they could improve him further and make him a better player before throwing him into the fold fulltime. It's only a matter of time.

It may well be though that if Iglesias plays well they may slot him with the big club anyway but I'd say it's 90% likely he goes down to AAA soon.

And by the way, JBJ still may very well be better off with some development time also. He has to hit extremely well to stay with the big club IMO. OBP of .370 with hopefully at least some pop.

Sound points, but I really think it would be a huge mistake to send this kid down at ANY time.  Keep him here!  Play him every day!!  He will develope just fine.  Will he have stuggles?  Of course.  Could it get tough at times?  Sure.  He will persevere!!! 

NO WAY IN HELp I send this kid down!

JBJ and Iggy make this club and elite fielding team.  We've got plenty of fire power, which I think will become clear soon enough....

Honest disagreement. 

Is there a risk going young now?  Sure.  Do I think it could hurt their development to keep them up and PLAY them regularly?  Not one bit!  I honestly think sending them down could hurt the speed of their development far worse!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

I think there is a good chance JBJ hits .300 or has an OBP over .360, but I still want him for that extra year.

I think we have plenty of time to "stagger" his trips back down, and still save the extra year.  It can likely still be done.  I'm not nec. opposed to that.  Send him down for good?  NO WAY!  I know that's not what your advocating, & I think we essentially agree.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

btw.....

This is a huge departure for me, as I have been saying for 2 years that the kid is nowhere near ready.

I just think the time is now right.  Especially given our alternatives.  I'm not giving in to just having a "decent" year!!!!

I think this team is capable of big things!!!  Does it all hinge on many uncertain things breaking our way for a change???   YEP!!!  & in comes the intangibles.....  I just have a feeling, based on some REAL potential.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

I think we have plenty of time to "stagger" his trips back down, and still save the extra year.  It can likely still be done.  I'm not nec. opposed to that.  Send him down for good?  NO WAY!  I know that's not what your advocating, & I think we essentially agree.

there is no way to "stagger" or split up the time needed to regain control of that extra year. ANY PLAYER who is optioned back to the minor leagues MUST stay there for 20 consecutive days before he is elligible to rejoin the big league club.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

there is no way to "stagger" or split up the time needed to regain control of that extra year. ANY PLAYER who is optioned back to the minor leagues MUST stay there for 20 consecutive days before he is elligible to rejoin the big league club.

Ahhh!  That's right.  I guess I knew that....  Good point!! 

Tough one!  OK....   Keep him up :)  The way I look at it, we either get that year NOW, or a more expensive year later....  in 6 or 7 years.  So what's the difference, if we get a REALLY productive year now, when we think we have a good chance of competing????  I say take the cheap & productive (perhaps even pinnacle) year NOW  !!!!   :)  So we have one less, but far more expensive year of control in 7 years.  What's the difference? 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to TheFoe13's comment:

Ahhh!  That's right.  I guess I knew that....  Good point!! 

Tough one!  OK....   Keep him up :)  The way I look at it, we either get that year NOW, or a more expensive year later....  in 6 or 7 years.  So what's the difference, if we get a REALLY productive year now, when we think we have a good chance of competing????  I say take the cheap & productive (perhaps even pinnacle) year NOW  !!!!   :)  So we have one less, but far more expensive year of control in 7 years.  What's the difference? 

he might hit free agency and not return for that 7th year. By giving up 18ish games at some point this season, we can secure that extra year. He might walk as a free agent after that, but at least we would have had him 1 extra year (in his prime) at the expense of 15-18 games in his rookie year.

is it safe to say he will be better in 6 years than he is now?? so why wouldn't you want to sacrifice a small portion of the season (we're not talking 50 games or half a season... just 3 weeks) as a rookie for 162 in his prime. you can't argue with that math.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

Drew SO uninspiring with respect to his stats (big sample),

Between 2008-2011, here are the top 7 SS's in OPS.........

1-Troy Tulowitzki--.892

2-Hanley Ramirez--.883

3-Jose Reyes--.815

4-Michael Young--.811

5-Stephen Drew--.786

6-Derek Jeter--.774

7-Starlin Castro--.766

Pretty inspiring for me. Then he got injured in 2011. The question is will he back to his old self or not? We don't know yet. If he is, he will be a very impressive offensive SS.

As for Iglesias, he had a solid spring. However, he still didn't walk enough[3-68 AB's]. He did drive the ball better and hit the ball harder. He could be a livable offensive SS. He hasn't proven that yet. And he didn't do enough to prove that this Spring either.

In his first game he played very solid. But he made zero plays[watching this closely cause of Moon] that Drew or any other SS would have made. On offense, he had zero walks. Also only took 3.4 pitches per AB. And his 3 hits were a bunt in the dirt, a dribbler in the dirt, and a two hopper hit hard into the dirt. Three infield hits.  Add that to his popup and his horrible K with the bases loaded and 1 out where he swung at 2 breaking balls in the dirt and I would call it a mixed result and a bit dirty.

I am hoping he plays well, Drew gets healthy, Iggy gets sent down to the AAA and proves he can hit and becomes a bit more patient. Then maybe we have a platoon type situation in September and Iggy is our SS in 2014. That for me is the perfect scenerio.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheFoe13. Show TheFoe13's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

1-Troy Tulowitzki--.892

2-Hanley Ramirez--.883

3-Jose Reyes--.815

4-Michael Young--.811

5-Stephen Drew--.786

6-Derek Jeter--.774

7-Starlin Castro--.766

Pretty inspiring for me. Then he got injured in 2011. The question is will he back to his old self or not? We don't know yet. If he is, he will be a very impressive offensive SS.

As for Iglesias, he had a solid spring. However, he still didn't walk enough[3-68 AB's]. He did drive the ball better and hit the ball harder. He could be a livable offensive SS. He hasn't proven that yet. And he didn't do enough to prove that this Spring either.

In his first game he played very solid. But he made zero plays[watching this closely cause of Moon] that Drew or any other SS would have made. On offense, he had zero walks. Also only took 3.4 pitches per AB. And his 3 hits were a bunt in the dirt, a dribbler in the dirt, and a two hopper hit hard into the dirt. Three infield hits.  Add that to his popup and his horrible K with the bases loaded and 1 out where he swung at 2 breaking balls in the dirt and I would call it a mixed result and a bit dirty.

I am hoping he plays well, Drew gets healthy, Iggy gets sent down to the AAA and proves he can hit and becomes a bit more patient. Then maybe we have a platoon type situation in September and Iggy is our SS in 2014. That for me is the perfect scenerio.

that about sums it up Bmav. couldn't have said it better myself.

+1

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxdirtdog. Show redsoxdirtdog's posts

1-Troy Tulowitzki--.892

2-Hanley Ramirez--.883

3-Jose Reyes--.815

4-Michael Young--.811

5-Stephen Drew--.786

6-Derek Jeter--.774

7-Starlin Castro--.766

I get ya.  I was in fact aware of his big sample OPS, I'm just not at all convinced he's still that same player.  I know he's been hurt, but I honestly think he's past his prime.  I SURE HOPE I'm wrong, as this is most likely a mute point, because 99% chance he IS OUR starting SS.

Let's hope he comes through with those historical numbers!!!

dirtdog :)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

1-Troy Tulowitzki--.892

2-Hanley Ramirez--.883

3-Jose Reyes--.815

4-Michael Young--.811

5-Stephen Drew--.786

6-Derek Jeter--.774

7-Starlin Castro--.766

Drew certainly has the potential to return to being a top 5 or 10 offensive SS in MLB. A 4 year sample size is large enough to think that at his age, he can repeat it, if healthy, in 2013.

I'm not going to go into the same argument I've repeated too many times about SS defense, but picking apart Iggy's one game this year is unproductive and a bit futile. He did not look that good at the plate, despite the 3 hits, but to me, it was nice to see a Sox player bunt well, and Iggy had been scorching the ball this spring- many for outs, so maybe he was due for some "soft hits".

On his fielding, he did make one play look very easy. A ball hit to his left, he scooted over quickly and amazingly got the ball with both feet planted in perfect form to be able to make the play look easy. I'm sure Drew makes the play as well, but perhaps with difficulty. I'm glad you are watching Iggy's defense closely. There will be games here and there with nothing special happens, but mark my words, there will also be games where Iggy makes 2-4 or maybe even 5 plays that Stephen only dreams of making. Prepare to be amazed.

(Sidenote: I wouldn't be surprised if Drew has an OPS of over .800 if he gets over this injury 100%.)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Question:  If JBJ 0r Inglsias does what Pedroia did (.182)in April do you keep them up?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

IGGY needs to keep doing good things at the plate, while giving the pitchers a chance to see what  a "glove" he brings for their ERA  !!!  Then the Drew thing will take care of itself !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

IGGY needs to keep doing good things at the plate, while giving the pitchers a chance to see what  a "glove" he brings for their ERA  !!!  Then the Drew thing will take care of itself !!!

He doesn't "Need to" in my opinion, but he probably does in management's opinion.

It was nice to see a Sox player bunt for hits. He'll keep 'em honest, bring 'em in a bit, and now increase his odds for GB hits between the IF'ers.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

1-Troy Tulowitzki--.892

2-Hanley Ramirez--.883

3-Jose Reyes--.815

4-Michael Young--.811

5-Stephen Drew--.786

6-Derek Jeter--.774

7-Starlin Castro--.766

Well said.  I would LOVE to see Iggy perform well but Drew is no slouch at SS.  He has a solid bat and plays average defense.  I think the best thing to do is let him play...if he does great and we are out of contention....trade him for something.  I really think that we are going to see Iggy a lot this season either way.  Remember, it's a long season and a lot of these situations wind up playing themselves out somehow.

Sections
Shortcuts