Wish it was Iggy's time also!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Wish it was Iggy's time also!

...I think the best thing to do is let him play...if he does great and we are out of contention....trade him for something. ...

For whom?

A Sean Jamieson?

Plus pay cash?

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil123. Show snakeoil123's posts

The Drew signing made no sense, but since they are paying him so much money he will play. 

Iggy gets his day in 2014.  Sad but true.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Quick check shows Stephen Drew has never played a game at another position in the ML, not sating he couldnt, but that makes him a poor option for a bench IF.....so you either move him and his 9.5mm salary(wont be easy)....or unfortunately Iggy will have to wait a while....that said, if Iggy goes down to Pawtucket and continues to show the development in his bat, and Drew struggles at the plate and does not recover earlier form, then I think Iggy could be back up  by June. 

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

but I still want him for that extra year.

Let me show how stupid this comment is. First, no one knows whether Bradley is still around in 7 years. Second, no one knows whether Bradley's FA market will be high, medium or low in 7 years.

But, let's assume that Bradley is healthy, played well, and as a high FA base amount in 7 years. In today's dollars, the highest his base is going to be is 15 to 21M. And, if it's that high, his sixth year arbitration cost would be at least 10 to 15M.

Now, if the sloppy and absurd spending Red Sox want Bradley for that "extra year", they will have to pay 10 to 15M in arbitration. Or, they will need to give him a 5 to 7 year FA market bid at, highest, 21M.

Now, do the math, and stop repeating this silly back bench message board talking point.

The difference is, besides the $$, its guaranteed he will be here. No guarantee he resigns with the Sox. The extra year guarantees he will be with the Sox. You can make any offer you want, it still doesnt guarantee he wont sign elsewhere.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from judy2006. Show judy2006's posts

In response to redsoxdirtdog's comment:

In response to TV-Guy's comment:

Why wouldn't Drew be a great bench player in the event that Farrell decides to play Iggy every day.?  Don't we want an All-star bench?

I actually agree with this wholeheartedly!  He seems to me to be the perfect "utility infielder!"  It probably would not sit well with him, or the FO, to have your almost $10 Million man, yet another in a long line of high priced SS "bridge players" who likely underperforms for the $$$, but I personally couldn't care less about how he feels about it.  That's probably a bit harsh, and somewhat unfair to Drew, given the fact that he hasn't even gotten a real shot, but I'm ready to move on and finally see if IGGY can step up? 

If Iggy continues to perform, on a regular basis, I would stick with the hot HANDS.  There is no telling what excitement, energy, and real production IGGY and JBJ could bring to this team???  I think it's well worth giving it a shot.  Having Drew, and eventually (when and if Papi comes back) Gomes as the CORE of a high powered bench.

If our top three pitchers, Lester, Buch, & Doubie, do what I think they will, and our BP does what we all think they will, I think we have plenty of bats and power, PLUS perhaps one of the BEST fielding teams in the mlb, to potentially lead us to the top of the AL East???  I honestly believe this!

Is anybody remotely interested in struggling through depending upon yet another underperforming Drew?  No entirely fair, but it is what it likely will be......

IT's TIME!!!  Go with the kid!  What a JOLT to Red Sox Nation this would be! 

Good post, I agree. Drew would be a good bench guy, Iggy is the pitcher's best friend.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dustcover. Show dustcover's posts

I get ya.  I was in fact aware of his big sample OPS, I'm just not at all convinced he's still that same player.  I know he's been hurt, but I honestly think he's past his prime.  I SURE HOPE I'm wrong, as this is most likely a mute point, because 99% chance he IS OUR starting SS.

Let's hope he comes through with those historical numbers!!!

Respectfully, the point is moot, not mute.  Wink

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

I get ya.  I was in fact aware of his big sample OPS, I'm just not at all convinced he's still that same player.  I know he's been hurt, but I honestly think he's past his prime.  I SURE HOPE I'm wrong, as this is most likely a mute point, because 99% chance he IS OUR starting SS.

Let's hope he comes through with those historical numbers!!!

past his prime?!? he's 30 years old RSDD.. he's IN his prime. Just got sidelined by an ankle injury

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

Position where Defense should be 1st priority. Funny they have a Save situation for Pitchers, nothing for Good Fielders who save runs during a game.
    I keep it simple like Earl Weaver. 
    Good Pitching, Great Defense, Clutch hitting. Do just 2 of these things well in a ballgame, and you'll be in it. Do all 3 well in a game and very good chance you'll win.
    Not easy to do.
    Stop falling in love with a players Batting Average, and watch how they perform with runners on base and especially with runners in scoring position. 1 step further men in scoring position, with 2 outs. See how they perform in the clutch. I'll take the .250 hitter if he hits .300 in the clutch. John Lowenstein great example.

I agree, but the problem is, virtually no hitters can consistently hit above their norm "in the clutch" over an extended period of time. It just doesn't happen. Even Eddie Murry and Big Papi came back down to earth.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to bobbysu's comment:

This is how I'm hoping this situation goes, Injury to another team, Drew gets Traded (1 year Contract easy to do), and we grab a good Prospect from a desperate team, at Trade Deadline.  Keep bringing the kids up and playing them.
    Also as Fans lets be patient.

The Diamondbacks got Sean Jameison for Drew last year, and he was owed a lot less than he is now.

We can't trade Drew until June.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

but I still want him for that extra year.

Let me show how stupid this comment is. First, no one knows whether Bradley is still around in 7 years. Second, no one knows whether Bradley's FA market will be high, medium or low in 7 years.

But, let's assume that Bradley is healthy, played well, and as a high FA base amount in 7 years. In today's dollars, the highest his base is going to be is 15 to 21M. And, if it's that high, his sixth year arbitration cost would be at least 10 to 15M.

Now, if the sloppy and absurd spending Red Sox want Bradley for that "extra year", they will have to pay 10 to 15M in arbitration. Or, they will need to give him a 5 to 7 year FA market bid at, highest, 21M.

Now, do the math, and stop repeating this silly back bench message board talking point.

No one know how well JBJ will do in those 20 days either, silly clown.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts