With all the lamenting, we still only got 4 hits.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

With all the lamenting, we still only got 4 hits.

Yup, I know we could have won 2-1 had we shut them down. Lackey's walk was the start of the downfall followed by a single. W/O the walk and only the single as Lackey was still in the 80s in pitches, he may not have been pulled & might have pitched out of it. Then the double steal puts men on 2nd & 3rd for the 2 fiasco errors.

Tough to be positive going forward because other than the 1st 4 hitters, Els, Vic, Pedey & Ortiz, we get 2-3 hits maybe from the rest of the lineup. Napoli has been in a "Love Hate Realtionship" with HRs and Strikeouts and tonight he was in the "Hate" phaze. Our winning 6 in a row with Gomes starting was a happenstance stat. Farrell loves him and I say keep him on the sideline to provide espirit de corps. Salty is close behind Naps in the strikeout category & not easy to get excited about Middlebrooks.  I'd start Nava & Gross in the next games. They say their # 2 & 3 pitchers are hittable but Peavy & Buch too are questionmarks so it definitely would have been nice to win tonight. But I will try to stay positive.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Re: With all the lamenting, we still only got 4 hits.

In response to SFBostonFan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yup, I know we could have won 2-1 had we shut them down. Lackey's walk was the start of the downfall followed by a single. W/O the walk and only the single as Lackey was still in the 80s in pitches, he may not have been pulled & might have pitched out of it. Then the double steal puts men on 2nd & 3rd for the 2 fiasco errors.

Tough to be positive going forward because other than the 1st 4 hitters, Els, Vic, Pedey & Ortiz, we get 2-3 hits maybe from the rest of the lineup. Napoli has been in a "Love Hate Realtionship" with HRs and Strikeouts and tonight he was in the "Hate" phaze. Our winning 6 in a row with Gomes starting was a happenstance stat. Farrell love hims and I say keep him on the sideline to provide espirit de corps. Salty is close behind Naps in the strikeout category & not easy to gewt excited about Middlebrooks.  I'd start Nava & Gross in the next games. They say their # 2 & 3 pitchers are hittable but Peavy & Buch too are questionmarks so it definitely would have been nice to win tonight. But I will try to stay positive.

[/QUOTE]

The Red Sox didn't exactly knock the cover off the ball against Detroit and still managed to take the series.  Up until Papi hit his grand slam in Game 2, things didn't look so bright in that series either.  I would also argue that the Red Sox did their job against Wacha.  He left after six innings after giving up the lead.  It was a combination of Lackey and Breslow that gave it up in the 7th, and the Cardinals really earned their way with that double steal and some solid at bats, just like the Red Sox often do.  

You want to talk about not being positive?  Just imagine how some Cardinals's fans felt after Game 1 and after Papi's dinger in Game 2.  

This is the post season.  Every team is good.  It could be a wild ride this time and either team could win.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sobchack. Show Sobchack's posts

Nothing goes as planned in the MLB playoffs.  The ALCS was one of great improbalities, clutch plays, and of course many things that went as expected.  In other words a mix of everything.

Game 2 was the Sox turn to blunder.  The 2 errors cost us the game, plain and simple.  

But, the one difference is that the Cards pen is NOT the Tigers' pen.  So, wearing out their SPs serves no purpose.  To beat them, you have to get the lead on the starters and hold the fort. (but, see my first sentence: one bad pitch by Rosenthal or Maness or whoever could change the whole thing).

Move on and pray Peavy finds his "A game" because the Clay situation isn't very promising right now.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Nothing goes as planned in the MLB playoffs.  The ALCS was one of great improbalities, clutch plays, and of course many things that went as expected.  In other words a mix of everything.

Game 2 was the Sox turn to blunder.  The 2 errors cost us the game, plain and simple.  

But, the one difference is that the Cards pen is NOT the Tigers' pen.  So, wearing out their SPs serves no purpose.  To beat them, you have to get the lead on the starters and hold the fort. (but, see my first sentence: one bad pitch by Rosenthal or Maness or whoever could change the whole thing).

Move on and pray Peavy finds his "A game" because the Clay situation isn't very promising right now.

[/QUOTE]

Wearing out the starting pitchers is enough of a purpose in its own right.  Perhaps Papi's home run had something to do with Wacha tiring a bit.  Plus, the Red Sox have seen very little of this bullpen so far.  As they see more, they may be able to get a bead on them.  Remember, the Tigers's bullpen shut the Red Sox down in Game 1.  The Red Sox also had a little bit going on in the 8th when Ellsbury and Papi reached.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from AFNAV130. Show AFNAV130's posts

In response to Sobchack's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Yeah they have the benefit of PEDs. So of course they are not the Tigers pen. Anyone who doubts that is nuts. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

100% correct, Sox have to get to the Starters. Particularly the next 2. I cant see Wainwright having another stinker. If Kelly or Lynn wins, Sox could be in a little trouble.

I think they will get it going, with next 2 Pitchers.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I can't believe we lost a game.  Seriously, not only did I expect to sweep the Cards, I thought we'd go 162-0 next year.  Can't beleive how low we've sunk.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I can't believe we lost a game.  Seriously, not only did I expect to sweep the Cards, I thought we'd go 162-0 next year.  Can't beleive how low we've sunk.

[/QUOTE]

They can't sweep one lousy series, in the playoff?

I'm not watching this pack of bums anymore.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to ThefourBs' comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really, the Cards only won 97 regular season games, and I'm sure they're not trying to win, either

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ThefourBs' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Really, the Cards only won 97 regualar season games, and I'm sure theyre not trying to win, either

[/QUOTE]

True.

And that Wacha kid?

The PawSox would've hammered him....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Yes, even with only 4 hits, we "could/should of won".....  That being said, as DAD would say ...... "SON, its now a 5 game series, anything can happen" !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

For perspective, the Sox just put up twice as many runs against Waccha as he has allowed in the postseason.  He gave up one run to the Pirates until last night.  And frankly, as good as he is (and he's dynamic), five walks in a game is not a great trend.  

The Sox once again took a top five pitcher to the high end of his pitch count by the 6th inning.  And in the 7th or 8th, Napoli came up with two men on and popped out.  They're getting guys on base and they'll hit better against the Cards' number 3 and 4 starters.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

What impressed me was that the Cardinals sent only rookies pitchers to the mound in Game 2 (and that the three rookie pitchers combined for 12 strikeouts).

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

In response to hill55's comment:
    [QUOTE]

What impressed me was that the Cardinals sent only rookies pitchers to the mound in Game 2 (and that the three rookie pitchers combined for 12 strikeouts).

[/QUOTE]

What impressed me is that they all threw 95+ and the first 2 had good secondary pitches as well.

BTW, Rosenthal was with the Cards in postseason last year whe they lost to the Giants in the NLCS

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RSPCB73. Show RSPCB73's posts

Cards played an ugly Game 1 and lost. Sox played an ugly Game 2 and lost though they could have won with better hitting.  Sox had five position players who have yet to have a hit in the two games; team's not winning with such anemic hitting - pitching is good, not lights out good.  Go Sox!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Rosenthal's stuff is filthy and better than

baby Pedros. Martinez fastball while mid 90's 

doesnt seem to have tremendous movement.

I am betting that now after seeing him one of our

hitters will get to him in this series. Albeit with a small

sample size of 28IP, he had a 5 era and a 1.4 Whip 

in the regular season

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

If we learned nothing else from the ALCS with Detroit, we should have learned that good pitching trumps good hitting.  The ALCS featured the two best offenses in all of MLB and had two 1-0 games despite the Tigers not having all that good a bullpen.   

Last night St Louis had the best pitching, period.  All the focus on Breslow's error ignores the fact that, after the SF and the error and the extra scored with a man now on 3B, the next batter singled of Breslow for the 4th run.  If Breslow does not throw to 3B for the error, the Cardinals still score two runs on the single for a 4-2 advantage. 

Both teams won 97 games, best in MLB.  They are very similar in other ways.  1-1 after 2 games is about right.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThefourBs. Show ThefourBs's posts

Yup.

This is going to be a tough series.

The Sox will probably lose again.

Shocking, I know...

I hope this board is ready for the trauma.

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

In response to drewpinchhitforagainstrhp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would also argue that the Red Sox did their job against Wacha.  

You would also argure that government entitlement programs are free for every voter who votes for DNC candidates who pander them. 

The Red Sox offense did not do their job against rookie Wacha. They also didn't do their job against the rookies Martinez and Rosenthal, even though the Red Sox were at  home.

Lackey did his job. Salty cost the Red Sox the lowing scoring game with the very hands of stone and clumsy feet that have been his trademark for years. Unlike S. Drew, it makes sense to start Salty, but he should have been lifted for Ross when the Red Sox had a one read in the latter innings.  

[/QUOTE]

Remember when you used to pretend you weren't a troll?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kingface12. Show Kingface12's posts

In response to drewpinchhitforagainstrhp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I would also argue that the Red Sox did their job against Wacha.  

You would also argure that government entitlement programs are free for every voter who votes for DNC candidates who pander them. 

The Red Sox offense did not do their job against rookie Wacha. They also didn't do their job against the rookies Martinez and Rosenthal, even though the Red Sox were at  home.

Lackey did his job. Salty cost the Red Sox the lowing scoring game with the very hands of stone and clumsy feet that have been his trademark for years. Unlike S. Drew, it makes sense to start Salty, but he should have been lifted for Ross when the Red Sox had a one read in the latter innings.  

[/QUOTE]

Tick Tock....Tick Tock.....Tick Tock.....

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lucbom. Show lucbom's posts

In response to RSPCB73's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Cards played an ugly Game 1 and lost. Sox played an ugly Game 2 and lost though they could have won with better hitting.  Sox had five position players who have yet to have a hit in the two games; team's not winning with such anemic hitting - pitching is good, not lights out good.  Go Sox!

Red Sox in 2013 World Series, Patriots in 2014 Super Bowl!

[/QUOTE]

Farrells bottom 5 in the batting order last night, Naps, Gomes, Salty, Drew & Bogie, went 0-16 with 7 K's.  Even though everyone knew this, I still wanted to post this stat.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

We were so much better last  year.