With Dice-K fresh out the door, Sox dive head first back in Japanese player pool

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

With Dice-K fresh out the door, Sox dive head first back in Japanese player pool

http://www.nesn.com/2012/10/report-red-sox-meet-with-japanese-high-school-phenom-shohei-otani-who-has-been-clocked-at-100-mph.html

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from michaelsjr. Show michaelsjr's posts

Re: With Dice-K fresh out the door, Sox dive head first back in Japanese player pool

only reason i don't get overly excited about japanese pitchers is their league's history of overworking them before allowing them to be shopped for big $ in US.  this kid is only 18, so maybe his situation is different.  we could use a "phenom".  we could use several.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Re: With Dice-K fresh out the door, Sox dive head first back in Japanese player pool

I agree with overusing their pitchers in Japan. but as you stated, this kid is only 18 and if the Sox see something in him, like a bunch of teams already do, they have the $$ to get a deal done. I wonder if he will get Boras to be his agent...

Problem Im reading on him is he needs to develop other pitches. Hes very raw and basically lives off that FB. We certainly dont want to dump a load of cash unless theres more to him than a fastball. MLB hitters will eat him alive.

If the Sox did get him, IMO, he would be spending at least 3-4 years in the minors so he would be of no help right away, but would be part of the future beyond 2015.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Looking at this young guy at 18 years old is nothing more than scouting a US high school senior prior to the draft.

No one expects any high school kids to make a major league contribution right away and it would be crazy to expect this kid to so either.

Of course, he will need a few years of minor league experience to improve himself and show himself ready to handle professional hitters in America.

He certainly seems to fill the prototype of a "prospect" pitcher if he already has a 100 MPH fastball.

Look everywhere to find more pitching-Japan, Turkey, Podunk, the back yard, anywhere. 

Nobody disliked Matsuzaka because he was Japanese, but rather because he never pitched well in his last four years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

Japanese baseballs are different. A 100 mph fastball is not quite the same in Japan but no doubt this is a special talent. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedsoxProspects. Show RedsoxProspects's posts

And this kid is in a similar situation as Tazawa in that he can sign directly with a mlb team. This is exactly the kind of kid we should be looking for. No ridiculous finders fee for the Japanese club.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Dice has no bearing on future decisions.  Oki worked out great.  Tazawa looks like he is going to work out well.  Lots of Japanese have worked out great for a lot of teams.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to wallyisdead's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Joebreidey's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Dice has no bearing on future decisions.  Oki worked out great.  Tazawa looks like he is going to work out well.  Lots of Japanese have worked out great for a lot of teams.

[/QUOTE]

Oki worked out great? Where is he now?

[/QUOTE]

Oki played a major role in helping this team win a championship in 2007...69IP 50H 17R 2.22ERA and a 0.971WHIP so, yeah, he worked out...All for 1.25mm that year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

Every deal has to be looked on it's own merits. What happened with DiceK has no bearing on anyone else. Same thing applies to the Crawford deal.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sure he worked out great.

17-8 with a 3.11 for $7M.  Let me know when we can a SP for that price.  Right now, he is pitching for the Hawks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Why do people think the Sox should avoid Japanese pitchers becuase of Daisuke, which I assume is the reason for his inclusion?  These are two completely different people.

I guess since Lackey has not worked out, the Sox should avoid Jered Weaver...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Japanese baseballs are different. A 100 mph fastball is not quite the same in Japan but no doubt this is a special talent. 

[/QUOTE]

Please explain your scientific rational for the difference. Seems to me 100 mph with any baseball is still 100 mph. Kind of like saying a ton of feathers is different than 2000 lbs of BBs.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Didn't the Yankees pick up Okajima?  

I do not know how Okajima can throw a strike.  By the time he throws the ball, his head is facing the ground.  LOL

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter55. Show parhunter55's posts

Why?  So they can bury him in the farm system like they have done with Linares?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

In response to JimfromFlorida's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RedsoxProspects' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please explain your scientific rational for the difference. Seems to me 100 mph with any baseball is still 100 mph. Kind of like saying a ton of feathers is different than 2000 lbs of BBs.

[/QUOTE]

what he is saying is that because of the ball being smaller and whatnot, it is easier to throw harder. Just like dice k apparently threw 95-96 mph in japan. regardless though i think we should sign this kid, he could be really really good. would be worth it to take a shot on him. He is also only 18 yrs old. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to parhunter55's comment:

Why?  So they can bury him in the farm system like they have done with Linares?

+1. My first mark on the new manager's 2013 report card will be based on how serious a shot Linares gets to make the team this spring.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Japan has produced very good baseball players.

But one country that produces very good ball players is the Dominican Republic.  The population of this country is only 8 million and it is the size of Massachusetts. 

I visit Santo Domingo every December and watch the winter baseball games.  You can easily spot Pedro Martinez, Albert Pujols, Cano, Ortiz, Sosa, etc. chilling. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

Tazawa looks like the real deal--we will get a better indicator in 2013. We have a plethora of arms in the pen I would prefer to see Taz as a starter and build a rotation around him. If the need is there for a stopper consider Peralta from the Rays--a FA--or the Big Guy in the Sox org--Michael Olmsted--a hard throwing 6'6--280 pounds who knows how to strike people out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does it matter? Does a player have to stay in Boston for the rest of his life for the signing to be considered a success?

Oki had several very good years here, including being part of a championship team. I'd definitely call that "working out."

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

In response to Flapjack07's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

What does it matter? Does a player have to stay in Boston for the rest of his life for the signing to be considered a success?

Oki had several very good years here, including being part of a championship team. I'd definitely call that "working out."

[/QUOTE]

Consider the source of what you responded to.

23. This post has been removed.