With Napoli in the fold, look for "BLOCKBUSTER" for 1st baseman & pitching..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

With Napoli in the fold, look for "BLOCKBUSTER" for 1st baseman & pitching..........

Salty, Aceves, Lester.........  I actually see Napoli & Ross splitting the catching duties...... STAND BY"   !!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Re: With Napoli in the fold, look for

nOT SURE WHERE THE NEXT "CARLTON FISK" FITS IN !!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANONMD08. Show ANONMD08's posts

I don't know Bill, sox are talking to Nick Swisher. could fill the right field void.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

If that's the case, I actually see Toronto passing us for 4th place. Napoli is a career .259 hitter with no glove....sure he'll pop a few homers...but...

...if this is step one of a major "transformation" it's a step backwards.

How did the "pitching and defense" strategy of two years ago become...."forget pitching and defense, we'll just pay too much money for guys who can slug homers....but are inept in every other area of the game?"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

Dont think the Red Sox will ever make a blockbuster deal.  No one is willing to part away their top of the starting rotation pitcher which that is what Boston need.

Simple deal, just sign Haren.  Sanchez may be out of the Boston's listing due Tigers already offer him 4yrs/48mm!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If that's the case, I actually see Toronto passing us for 4th place. Napoli is a career .259 hitter with no glove....sure he'll pop a few homers...but...

How did the "pitching and defense" strategy of two years ago become...."forget pitching and defense, we'll just pay too much money for guys who can slug homers....but are inept in every other area of the game?"

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career OBP is .356, who cares about his batting average?....career OPS .863.   What's wrong the that from a guy that's primarily caught? 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I do see a trade brewing here. Although, not sure if it will be a "blockbuster."

Napoli is part time (lousy) catcher. Ross is a backup catcher. Saltalamacchia is at the stage of his career where he is ready to play alot of games( if he can reduce his strikeouts). Lavarnway is ready to make the step to fulltime major leaguer.

There is a glut of catching here, and there are teams that are hungry for catching.

This team needs a shortstop that can hit above .220...and starting pitchers, at least two good ones.

It may not happen until training camp is in full swing....but I am quite sure Cherrybomb is looking to move either Lavarnway or Salty. It is not that difficult to see that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career OBP is .356, who cares about his batting average?....career OPS .863.   What's wrong the that from a guy that's primarily caught? 

[/QUOTE]

I care.

I am insulted as a fan when a .259 hitter that can't play defense makes $39 million for 3 years.

In hockey this would be equivalent to a 4th line goon being paid like a 40 goal scorer. In football this is equal to paying a punter more than your running back. 

Napoli is not worth $39 million. Thye paid big bucks for 3 guys with talent ( Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford) and watched it blow up in their face....now they are paying guys like Gomes and Napoli like superstars?...this front office is still thinking with something other than a brain.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well the Sox filled a need at 1B, even though he is not a whiz defensively...but maybe signing a Carlos Pena to a bench role might alleviate the defensive issue and add flexibility to the roster.

If the Sox also sign Swisher to a feal, then they'd have more line-up flexibility for facing tough righties and lefties.

Plus, there is still time and opportunity to sign some additional pitching. Just because they're paying Napoli doesn't mean they won't pay for pitching now too.

If Swisher is signed:

Against RHP:

• (L) CF - Ellsbury
    • (R) 2B - Pedroia
    • (L) DH - Ortiz
    • (R) 1B - Napoli (Pena in the late innings with a lead)
    • (S) RF - Swisher
    • (R) 3B - Middlebrooks
    • (L) LF - Kalish (I see a platoon here even though Sox are saying Gomes against righties too)
    •  (L) C - Salty (replaced by Ross or Napoli in late innings)
    •  (R) SS - ? (Iglesias if we must)

Against LHP:

• (L) CF - Ellsbury
    • (R) 2B - Pedroia
    • (L) DH - Ortiz
    • (R) 1B - Napoli (Pena in the late innings with a lead)
    • (S) RF - Swisher
    • (R) 3B - Middlebrooks
    • (R) LF - Gomes
    • (R)  C - Ross
    • (R) SS - Ciriaco

Also, you expect Toronto passing us for 4th place??? How about Toronto vying for the AL East title...over NY and TB...

I think this team of potential character guys will be more competitive than last years mess, and they might actually catch lightning in a bottle like the O's last season.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

I am insulted as a fan when a .259 hitter that can't play defense makes $39 million for 3 years.

In hockey this would be equivalent to a 4th line goon being paid like a 40 goal scorer. In football this is equal to paying a punter more than your running back. 

Napoli is not worth $39 million. Thye paid big bucks for 3 guys with talent ( Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford) and watched it blow up in their face....now they are paying guys like Gomes and Napoli like superstars?...this front office is still thinking with something other than a brain.

[/QUOTE]

That is not an apt analogy.  He has elite career batting numbers for a catcher which, hopefully, will improve when he catches less.  You are focussing on a 19th century statistic.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]
    Zill....bad analogy.....Napoli would be more of a 3rd line guy who scores 25 goals whiose +/- is about even. As for paying them like Superstars.....hardly.....as disgusting as it might be, that is the type of money the average+ guys are getting....Superstars are 50 to 75% more than that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]
    Zill....bad analogy.....Napoli would be more of a 3rd line guy who scores 25 goals whiose +/- is about even. As for paying them like Superstars.....hardly.....as disgusting as it might be, that is the type of money the average+ guys are getting....Superstars are 50 to 75% more than that.

[/QUOTE]

Tom - I think even that underestimates Napoli's bat.  His career OPS+ is 126.  In contrast, Yaz' was 130.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

...and for the batting average people, Yaz' career BA was an underwhelming .285...but who cares, he was a walk machine with a career OBP of .379.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Naps should play 1B and only catch in NL parks so papi can play 1B, or in late innings after we PH for Ross, Salty or Lava. 

Naps is the "blockbuster" 1Bman. If Ben is counting on Naps to catch more than 80 games (actually more than 25), it's a big mistake. He's had some of the worst CERA splits of any catcher in MLB over most of his seasons.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Naps is playing 1B.

DH after Papi leaves or gets hurt.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

to pick 1 oppensive stat while ignoring every other significant one is cherry picking if i ever saw it zilla...

like it or not naps is a good fit for the team and will benefit us big time. good pickup, glad we stood firm at 3 years.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

to pick 1 oppensive stat while ignoring every other significant one is cherry picking if i ever saw it zilla...

like it or not naps is a good fit for the team and will benefit us big time. good pickup, glad we stood firm at 3 years.

[/QUOTE]Agree,    However, BEN is not through yet !!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]

That is not an apt analogy.  He has elite career batting numbers for a catcher which, hopefully, will improve when he catches less.  You are focussing on a 19th century statistic.

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you are the man.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you are the man.  

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, though thank you.  There are a lot of smart, knowledgable people around here that a person (like me) can learn from if you just keep an open mind.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from xxxcrwn. Show xxxcrwn's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Napoli is a DH, & a below average fielding firstbaseman. This is a head scratcher to me because Papi is the DH. Adam Laroche would have made more sense.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you are the man.  

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, though thank you.  There are a lot of smart, knowledgable people around here that a person (like me) can learn from if you just keep an open mind.

[/QUOTE]As DAD would say ...........  SON, glad to hear you admit that" !!!!!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

the next drunk driver you mean  no thanks

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Man Zill, politics aside, I find myself agreeing with you more and more everyday. You are exactly right.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from boborielly224. Show boborielly224's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Naps should play 1B and only catch in NL parks so papi can play 1B, or in late innings after we PH for Ross, Salty or Lava. 

Naps is the "blockbuster" 1Bman. If Ben is counting on Naps to catch more than 80 games (actually more than 25), it's a big mistake. He's had some of the worst CERA splits of any catcher in MLB over most of his seasons.

[/QUOTE]

The Sox needed a batter to hit before Papi and they got one. I am happy with the 3 years. Napoli will be playing first base FT. We already have 3 catchers on the list that can be traded Salty Lavarnway and Butler. I am now thinking better off keeping Salty he has a better bat than Lavarn. and Ross. Ross is the defensive catcher, and Salty the more offensive catcher. Butler could be the catcher to be under the radar call up list and Lavarnway on the trade list. Ross Salty Butler Napoli and Lavarnway is good depth to have, especially if the Sox are compare to other teams. I would prefer to have defensive catcher starting and Salty playing pinch hitter and more home games.

Now I am thinking that the sox will sign switch hitter Berkman to back up first. My reason he is willing to sign a one year contract. Napoli and Berkman will be a good 1B combination and we may see Sands get some 1B experience during spring training. If Sands show good promise then he be the 3 man in on 1st and back up outfield duties.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

I care.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sonics, you are the man.  

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]As DAD would say ...........  SON, glad to hear you admit that" !!!!!

[/QUOTE]

Even you are a learning experience.  I learned a lot about how to manage from the worst manager I ever had....he got everything wrong so as long as I did the opposite of Mr. Smith I knew I couldn't go far wrong.

Same with you - you are wrong about everything so I just have to think the opposite to be right.

Sections
Shortcuts