With Napoli in the fold, look for "BLOCKBUSTER" for 1st baseman & pitching..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Re: With Napoli in the fold, look for

In response to Alibiike's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If that's the case, I actually see Toronto passing us for 4th place. Napoli is a career .259 hitter with no glove....sure he'll pop a few homers...but...

...if this is step one of a major "transformation" it's a step backwards.

How did the "pitching and defense" strategy of two years ago become...."forget pitching and defense, we'll just pay too much money for guys who can slug homers....but are inept in every other area of the game?"

[/QUOTE]

Man Zill, politics aside, I find myself agreeing with you more and more everyday. You are exactly right.

[/QUOTE]

Well Zilla, this endorsement is further just indictment of your comments...you got the pseudo-troll agreeing with you.

The fact is the Sox can now focus on pitching and RF, but they hopefully now have a guy that can solidify the middle of their line-up.

Plus, what pitchers have the Sox missed out on so far versus how many power bats are still in the marketplace?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

i like the signing...as long as it now leads to an ace via a trade...i hate to see salty go however but we are not going to get anyone good for those other catchers...

ben is keeping it simple as i hoped...

papi, napoli...

hopefully cody ross or swisher soon, then grienke/ace...

then let the season begin....we could do alright with that lineup and some good luck/return to form of our starters

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Middlebrooks. Show Middlebrooks's posts

Think about it as a trade, Agon for Napoli. Over the last two seasons Sox gain more homers, higher OPS and a shifting of the power from the left side to the right. Oh, and save 8M per season for the next 3 years. LOVE THIS DEAL!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars's comment:
    [QUOTE]

...and for the batting average people, Yaz' career BA was an underwhelming .285...but who cares, he was a walk machine with a career OBP of .379.

[/QUOTE]

I was accused of using a "19th century statistic."

Then you compare Napoli to Carl Yastrzemski???

Yastrzemski was not elected to the Hall Of Fame for being a "walk machine." We tried that with J.D.Drew and you see what walks get you. Yaz walked alot because he refused to swing at bad pitches.

Pitching in Yastrzemski's era was so far superior to today's pitching. Elite pitchers were in lineups of every Major League team in the "19th century" of the '60's and 70's.

Today's pitching flat out stinks compared to that era. If Yastrzemski played today, he would bat at least .350 ...and this is a guy who played leftfield defense like no one many of the younger fans have ever seen. YAZ "OWNED" the monster....he knew how to barehand a ball off the wall and peg out runners at 2nd base, he was not fast yet was a smart baserunner and basestealer. The man was more than a hitter, more than a slugger, he was a COMPLETE ballplayer who hated to lose.

I sure hope I don't ever, ever hear anyone comparing Napoli's stats to Carl Yastrzemski's stats.....that's just insane.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from VeniceSox. Show VeniceSox's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

If that's the case, I actually see Toronto passing us for 4th place. Napoli is a career .259 hitter with no glove....sure he'll pop a few homers...but...

How did the "pitching and defense" strategy of two years ago become...."forget pitching and defense, we'll just pay too much money for guys who can slug homers....but are inept in every other area of the game?"

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career OBP is .356, who cares about his batting average?....career OPS .863.   What's wrong the that from a guy that's primarily caught? 

[/QUOTE]

I care.

I am insulted as a fan when a .259 hitter that can't play defense makes $39 million for 3 years.

In hockey this would be equivalent to a 4th line goon being paid like a 40 goal scorer. In football this is equal to paying a punter more than your running back. 

Napoli is not worth $39 million. Thye paid big bucks for 3 guys with talent ( Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford) and watched it blow up in their face....now they are paying guys like Gomes and Napoli like superstars?...this front office is still thinking with something other than a brain.

[/QUOTE]

He is not a lousy catcher, he is just about league average... and if youre so insulted then maybe you shouldnt watch.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from garyhow. Show garyhow's posts

Its a start. Napoli is a very good RH bat, something the RS can use. 20+ hrs and a career 863 ops from a guy who spent most of his time behind the plate. See him playing mostly at 1B, but will spell Papi against some tough lefties at times and will catch some games as well. Now its time to solve the real riddle - The rotation. Can bring in all the bats you want but I've been saying it for years here you win with PITCHING! Time to earn the paycheck Ben- Go find us a starter or 2!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

...and for the batting average people, Yaz' career BA was an underwhelming .285...but who cares, he was a walk machine with a career OBP of .379.

[/QUOTE]

I was accused of using a "19th century statistic."

Then you compare Napoli to Carl Yastrzemski???

Yastrzemski was not elected to the Hall Of Fame for being a "walk machine." We tried that with J.D.Drew and you see what walks get you. Yaz walked alot because he refused to swing at bad pitches.

Pitching in Yastrzemski's era was so far superior to today's pitching. Elite pitchers were in lineups of every Major League team in the "19th century" of the '60's and 70's.

Today's pitching flat out stinks compared to that era. If Yastrzemski played today, he would bat at least .350 ...and this is a guy who played leftfield defense like no one many of the younger fans have ever seen. YAZ "OWNED" the monster....he knew how to barehand a ball off the wall and peg out runners at 2nd base, he was not fast yet was a smart baserunner and basestealer. The man was more than a hitter, more than a slugger, he was a COMPLETE ballplayer who hated to lose.

I sure hope I don't ever, ever hear anyone comparing Napoli's stats to Carl Yastrzemski's stats.....that's just insane.

[/QUOTE]

OPS+ accounts for era played and park factors.  But more to the point, I'm not seriously comparing the two, but making the general point that you are undervaluing Napoli's batting - as a catcher - over the past 6 years.

The specific point, as you seem to be a big batting average guy, is that Yaz had a pedestrian batting average for a star player.  So given that you think Yaz was great, how important can BA be?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

[QUOTE]

I do see a trade brewing here. Although, not sure if it will be a "blockbuster."

Napoli is part time (lousy) catcher. Ross is a backup catcher. Saltalamacchia is at the stage of his career where he is ready to play alot of games( if he can reduce his strikeouts). Lavarnway is ready to make the step to fulltime major leaguer.

There is a glut of catching here, and there are teams that are hungry for catching.

This team needs a shortstop that can hit above .220...and starting pitchers, at least two good ones.

It may not happen until training camp is in full swing....but I am quite sure Cherrybomb is looking to move either Lavarnway or Salty. It is not that difficult to see that.

[/QUOTE]

Entire glut for Buster Posey.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

In response to Middlebrooks' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Think about it as a trade, Agon for Napoli. Over the last two seasons Sox gain more homers, higher OPS and a shifting of the power from the left side to the right. Oh, and save 8M per season for the next 3 years. LOVE THIS DEAL!

[/QUOTE]

This guy gets it.  Its also awesome that Napoli can play C in NL parks.  I have WS aspirations, so there is value in this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

.863 despite having to deal w/ the fatigue factor / injuries that comes w/ catching (no catcher is healthy) is nothing short of remarkable.  People point to his down year last year.  Well he had a hamstring injury.  Catching does not help hamstring injuries!!  He STILL managed an .810 OPS!!  AGON's OPS , for comparison, was less.  .810 was also significantly higher than the MLB average for a first baseman.

Napoli is a great hitter.  NOT a great hitter for a catcher.  Really, would anyone be surprised if he had a .900 OPS next year?  His 2 yr average is > .900, this is with an injury plagued year, now he's no longer catching, has lineup protection for the first time in his life, and plays 1/2 his games in his favorite park.

2013 OPS predictions:

Napoli: .892

AGON: .874

Yeah, I pulled those out of thin air, but those arent off base.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

Now I am thinking that the sox will sign switch hitter Berkman to back up first. My reason he is willing to sign a one year contract. Napoli and Berkman will be a good 1B combination

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Berkman has a career 1007 OPS against lefties. And I am not sold on Lava being ready yet, so I still see Napoli as the potential 50-50 catcher with Ross.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[/QUOTE]

This guy gets it.  Its also awesome that Napoli can play C in NL parks.  I have WS aspirations, so there is value in this.

[/QUOTE]

Absolutely.  The headline is great:  big righthanded bat, built for Fenway, fills the hole at 1B.  But the genius is the detail:   won't cost a draft pick, only 3 years when 4 was assumed to be mandatory, stays in the lineup w/ Papi in NL parks and enables us to trade Salty or Lav for something else.  Very well thought out and executed acquisition by Ben.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to BMav's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Now I am thinking that the sox will sign switch hitter Berkman to back up first. My reason he is willing to sign a one year contract. Napoli and Berkman will be a good 1B combination

[/QUOTE]

I agree. Berkman has a career 1007 OPS against lefties. And I am not sold on Lava being ready yet, so I still see Napoli as the potential 50-50 catcher with Ross.

[/QUOTE]

i dont think they will split it 50-50 but they will definitely split time at catcher. how many games he actually will catch has yet to be seen if i had to guess i would say about 30% of the games. less than that if we do not sign other options to backup 1st base

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

It would have been a great idea in the 70s when there were smaller pitching staffs enabling pinch runners (Herb Washington) and pinch hitters (Manny Mota) to take up a roster spot.  But assuming 12 pitchers, that leaves 4 subs:  a catcher, an infielder and an outfielder for sure.  So do you use your last roster spot for a backup 1B?  I'd rather have a 5th outfielder that can run and field, especially if we have Gomes and Cody as bookends in the OF.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

It would have been a great idea in the 70s when there were smaller pitching staffs enabling pinch runners (Herb Washington) and pinch hitters (Manny Mota) to take up a roster spot.  But assuming 12 pitchers, that leaves 4 subs:  a catcher, an infielder and an outfielder for sure.  So do you use your last roster spot for a backup 1B?  I'd rather have a 5th outfielder that can run and field, especially if we have Gomes and Cody as bookends in the OF.

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would be using the 4th guy on a STARTING firstbasemen like Berkman. Who would start about 110-120 games against lefty starters. And Napoli would play 70-80 games as a starting  catcher and 40-50 as the first basemen. Or instead of Berkman have Morrison or Swisher in that role. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

i dont think they will split it 50-50 but they will definitely split time at catcher. how many games he actually will catch has yet to be seen if i had to guess i would say about 30% of the games. less than that if we do not sign other options to backup 1st base

[/QUOTE]

I don't see how Napoli catches 30%. The problem is how do you split up the left over 70%? Its too much for Ross alone. And too little to divide between Ross and either Lava or Salt. Whats the point of having Lava on the team to catch 35% or less  of games.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Actually, I would be using the 4th guy on a STARTING firstbasemen like Berkman. Who would start about 110-120 games against lefty starters. And Napoli would play 70-80 games as a starting  catcher and 40-50 as the first basemen. Or instead of Berkman have Morrison or Swisher in that role. 

[/QUOTE]

So you trade Salty, send Lav to the minors, and have a fair-at-best defender (Napoli) play half the games at catcher which will no doubt negatively impact his hitting.  I don't buy it, don't think it's necessary.  Plus Napoli has pretty modest platoon splits and IMO is likely to outhit the aging Berkman anyway.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

[/QUOTE]

So you trade Salty, send Lav to the minors, and have a fair-at-best defender (Napoli) play half the games at catcher which will no doubt negatively impact his hitting.  I don't buy it, don't think it's necessary.  Plus Napoli has pretty modest platoon splits and IMO is likely to outhit the aging Berkman anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Yes. BTW, Its pretty much how both teams he has been on has used him the last 3 years. And we need a good insurance policy in AAA which this plan provides. And I think his defense is equal to or better then either Salty or Lava. For me, Napoli is the player Lava strives to be. Isn't having them both on the same team kinda not necessary?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

quite true

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

We are buliding a team of 31+ year olds..... last place for certain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

We are buliding a team of 31+ year olds..... last place for certain.

[/QUOTE]

the yankees had the oldest team on average last year and they had the 2nd best team in the majors last year.... age is just a # bro

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Official BurritoT stance: Nay on Napoli (thankfully it is 3 years only)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yaso#7. Show Yaso#7's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Napoli's career OBP is .356, who cares about his batting average?....career OPS .863.   What's wrong the that from a guy that's primarily caught? 

[/QUOTE]

I care.

I am insulted as a fan when a .259 hitter that can't play defense makes $39 million for 3 years.

In hockey this would be equivalent to a 4th line goon being paid like a 40 goal scorer. In football this is equal to paying a punter more than your running back. 

Napoli is not worth $39 million. Thye paid big bucks for 3 guys with talent ( Beckett, Gonzalez, Crawford) and watched it blow up in their face....now they are paying guys like Gomes and Napoli like superstars?...this front office is still thinking with something other than a brain.

[/QUOTE]

Stick to being a Hockey Fan

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Big day today for BEN......   Keep your eye on Salty, Jacoby, Lester ........  I can feel a "BLOCKBUSTER" day , for sure !!!

Sections
Shortcuts