With Napoli in the fold, look for "BLOCKBUSTER" for 1st baseman & pitching..........

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Re: With Napoli in the fold, look for

Just because we are cornering the market on mediocre catching - it does not mean we can trade a mediocre catcher to another team

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChronicNYY13. Show ChronicNYY13's posts

Love the Napoli signing.  He is a quality bat for a catcher, but he is not even close to an elite 1B.  Plus this means Salty and Ross as catcher.  Going to be some more holes in this lineup in 2013.  Maybe you should sign Bobby Valentine for SS.  

With Luchino pulling the strings this club is doomed.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its a start. Napoli is a very good RH bat, something the RS can use. 20+ hrs and a career 863 ops from a guy who spent most of his time behind the plate. See him playing mostly at 1B, but will spell Papi against some tough lefties at times and will catch some games as well. Now its time to solve the real riddle - The rotation. Can bring in all the bats you want but I've been saying it for years here you win with PITCHING! Time to earn the paycheck Ben- Go find us a starter or 2!

[/QUOTE]

The guy batted .227 with 80 hits last year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Schumpeters-Ghost's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to garyhow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Its a start. Napoli is a very good RH bat, something the RS can use. 20+ hrs and a career 863 ops from a guy who spent most of his time behind the plate. See him playing mostly at 1B, but will spell Papi against some tough lefties at times and will catch some games as well. Now its time to solve the real riddle - The rotation. Can bring in all the bats you want but I've been saying it for years here you win with PITCHING! Time to earn the paycheck Ben- Go find us a starter or 2!

[/QUOTE]

The guy batted .227 with 80 hits last year.

[/QUOTE]

We all know that.  Most of us also realize how stupid it is to disregard on-base percentage and slugging percentage, which are easily understandable and not exactly 'new-fangled' stats.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[QUOTE]

Just because we are cornering the market on mediocre catching - it does not mean we can trade a mediocre catcher to another team

[/QUOTE]

Have you seen how many teams have catchers that are not even close to mediocre?

7 Teams that had a catching OPS of under .650.

I see you like BA...

Nearly half of all MLB teams (13) had a team catching BA of below .227.

(15 had an OBP below .307)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Just spit-balling here, but does signing Napoli open the door to work out something reasonable w/ Hamilton? Ya' know, a familiar face, teammates - given he's a risk. ? 3yrs @ 60-80 idk? 

With his bat in the lineup, would they even need to sign another SS? Sox could still sign a SP.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just spit-balling here, but does signing Napoli open the door to work out something reasonable w/ Hamilton? Ya' know, a familiar face, teammates - given he's a risk. ? 3yrs @ 60-80 idk? 

With his bat in the lineup, would they even need to sign another SS? Sox could still sign a SP.

[/QUOTE]

with a lineup that strong we could afford the auto-ou tthat comes with having iggy in the lineup.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Auto outs:

The WS champs had a .240 BA from their 2B position in 2012.

The Tigers got a .219 BA from their 2B slot, .235 from RF, and .239 from their SS.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see you like BA...

[/QUOTE]And how many of those catchers were better defensively?? More than i few i'd wager.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to mef429's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to emp9's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

with a lineup that strong we could afford the auto-ou tthat comes with having iggy in the lineup.

[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It would definately take some pressure off him. And really, S. Drew isn't an offensive juggernaut. I don't see this huge need to take on more payroll for another SS. Rather have Igg bat as much as he can & learn somethings.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to iamme17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I see you like BA...

[/QUOTE]And how many of those catchers were better defensively?? More than i few i'd wager.

[/QUOTE]

Naps is going to play 1B, so this whole debate is senseless.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

[QUOTE]

Auto outs:

The WS champs had a .240 BA from their 2B position in 2012.

The Tigers got a .219 BA from their 2B slot, .235 from RF, and .239 from their SS.

[/QUOTE]

yeah but we're hoping iggy exceeds expetations and hits .219... i think his defense will outweigh his offensive shortcomings but if we have a strong lineup around him it will be easier to justify his batting (or lack thereof)

Sections
Shortcuts