With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from -EdithBunker-. Show -EdithBunker-'s posts

With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?

Miller
    or
    Wakefield

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

Re: With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?

Wakefield. Miller's WHIP is way too high and I think he could be effective his first time through a batting order. I'd like to see Miller utilized as a lefthanded version of Alfredo Aceves.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?

Wakefield

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Could it depend on the opposition?  Balance of lineup vs. lefties and all?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jalvis. Show jalvis's posts

Wake......he just scares me more out of the pen than as a starter.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

Wake, as long as his health lasts.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?:
    [QUOTE]Miller or Wakefield
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

Am i wrong ? Did the sox sign Miller on the condition that he would only be a starter?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?:
    [QUOTE]Could it depend on the opposition?  Balance of lineup vs. lefties and all?
    Posted by rickerd2[/QUOTE]
    Yup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Miller's stuff is electric, as manifest by his strike outs to single BB, today. His control is his bugaboo, but there is no reason to waste innings on old Wakefield. Miller should get the innings, and be given the rest of the year to gain more experience and work under Young. He's going to be erratic, but, unlike Wakefield, he has the ability to blow people away in short stretches.

Miller is not a good pen option because he does not have the control needed. Pen profiles need good control to avoid the BB's. Miller is a strong young pitcher who should get the bottom of the rotation role for what is left of this year. Aceves should pony up with Miller, not the other way around.

Now that it's only 30 days from roster expansion and Wakefield is still roster squatting with a 5 plus ERA, not going to get better at age 45, they should make roster space by DL'ing Wakefield and buy time until roster expansion.

Wakefield should have been let go at the end of 2009, but he's here for one reason only. He cost the team in April and May by roster squatting while Aceves and Miller and Weiland were in AAA. The team effectively only had 6 pen options without Aceves, during the rough start.

The baseball cumaltive record neurosis is now 200 wins. In September, as long as it doesn't compromise a game, they should bring him in an early blowout or give him a late season academic spot start to try and get win 200.

That should be the end of Tim Wakefield in Boston. It's a more tired act than raising the federal line of credit to obtain fiscal order.

Wakefield's from Florida. It would be embarrassing to have his name in the Red Sox total wins record book. He does not belong ahead of Cy Young, and Clemens should be vacated. Wakefield should finish his career with the Rays.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

Wakefield as the 5th starter, Miller to the pen.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Miller's stuff is electric, as manifest by his strike outs to single BB, today. His control is his bugaboo, but there is no reason to waste innings on old Wakefield. Miller should get the innings, and be given the rest of the year to gain more experience and work under Young. He's going to be erratic, but, unlike Wakefield, he has the ability to blow people away in short stretches

Wake has more 3-4 inning stretches of shut out ball than Miller. 

Miller is not a good pen option because he does not have the control needed

Umm, you need control to be a good a starter too. Wake has the best BB/9 rate for 2010-2011 out of all of our starters.

. Pen profiles need good control to avoid the BB's. Miller is a strong young pitcher who should get the bottom of the rotation role for what is left of this year. Aceves should pony up with Miller, not the other way around. 

Now that it's only 30 days from roster expansion and Wakefield is still roster squatting with a 5 plus ERA, not going to get better at age 45, they should make roster space by DL'ing Wakefield and buy time until roster expansion

Tell us something new, for once.

Wakefield should have been let go at the end of 2009, but he's here for one reason only. He cost the team in April and May by roster squatting while Aceves and Miller and Weiland were in AAA. The team effectively only had 6 pen options without Aceves, during the rough start

You keep repeating lies. Wake had a 4.14 ERA at the end of May. He was out 5th starter by then and Miller was struggling with control issues in AAA- yes, he was worse then than now.

Aceves was with our team in April. He pitched April 8, 9, 11, 15, 18...

The baseball cumaltive record neurosis is now 200 wins. In September, as long as it doesn't compromise a game, they should bring him in an early blowout or give him a late season academic spot start to try and get win 200. 

That should be the end of Tim Wakefield in Boston. It's a more tired act than raising the federal line of credit to obtain fiscal order. 

Wakefield's from Florida. It would be embarrassing to have his name in the Red Sox total wins record book. He does not belong ahead of Cy Young, and Clemens should be vacated. Wakefield should finish his career with the Rays.

I can just imagine if Wake had a 5.36 ERA and a WHIP over 1.900.
    I can imagine if Wake had a 5.00+ in 5 of the last 6 seasons (the 6th was 4.84).
    I can imagine if Wake had an 8.54 ERA last year.
    I can imagine if Wake had a career 1.752 WHIP (5.4 BB/9)

What if Miller reverts to his "career norm"?

5.80 ERA.

Miller has 334 career IP and 62 starts. His sample size is significant.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from fivekatz. Show fivekatz's posts

In Response to Re: With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield? : Am i wrong ? Did the sox sign Miller on the condition that he would only be a starter?
    Posted by donrd4[/QUOTE]You are wrong. He had an opt out on his minor league deal if the RS did not call him up but it was specific as to his role. Miller was a cat who had spent 8 of his lives and just wanted to get some place where they would work with him to restore what once looked like would be a promising baseball career.

With Aceves being so effective as the rubber armed, short-mid length reliever and being RH I think Miller in the BP makes more sense.

If it is simply on the body of their work this year, Miller has a lot of red flags. His WHIP is sky high still. Neither Wake or Miller are pitching great, but Miller as a LH probably gives the RS more utility coming out of the BP.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from softylaw. Show softylaw's posts

Aceves was with our team in April. He pitched April 8, 9, 11, 15, 18....

Aceves was in AAA ball during the 0-6 start.

Wakefield was simply mopping up and squatting well into May.

Reddick wasn't doing anything in AAA on OBP or BA. To assume what Miller woud do is your own wishful thinking.

As for arrogantly posting Miller's numbers, he hasn't had 2 plus years to stink it up like Wakefield.

Miller had 1 walk and 8 K's, today. Wrong confidence message to show no confidence and demote him and give old Wakefield and his 2 plus year 5 plus ERA a vote of confidence.

There is a double standard on Wakefield, who should have been on gone at the end of 2009. The only reason he's hanging around is a silly record. Management is trying to nurse him along and plan to keep him until that record goes. After that, if he wants to pitch in the majors, Red Sox management will kick him to Florida.

And who can wait until this embarrassing 45 year old human launching pad's next start. T-Ball city!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield? : You are wrong. He had an opt out on his minor league deal if the RS did not call him up but it was specific as to his role. Miller was a cat who had spent 8 of his lives and just wanted to get some place where they would work with him to restore what once looked like would be a promising baseball career. With Aceves being so effective as the rubber armed, short-mid length reliever and being RH I think Miller in the BP makes more sense. If it is simply on the body of their work this year, Miller has a lot of red flags. His WHIP is sky high still. Neither Wake or Miller are pitching great, but Miller as a LH probably gives the RS more utility coming out of the BP.  
    Posted by fivekatz[/QUOTE]

Thanks... Thought the only reason Miller would sign was that he would only start. Thats the second time this year i was wrong !!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT. Show BurritoT's posts

Wakefield. He is still throwing some good games. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

I'd like to see them conitune to give Miller a shot at keeping his spot in the rotation. The kid still has work to do commanding the ball and pitching to contact so he can get deeper in games, he won't get better pitching out of the pen. Wake's done a great job and is also deserving of keeping his spot, but his future is now, Miller's is still in front of him. It's too bad they can't option Miller to AAA and keep him stretched out...Let's just say it's a good problem to have...

My gut tells me Wake will stay in the rotation and Miller will move to the pen...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from the_yazzer. Show the_yazzer's posts

In Response to With the acquisition of Bedard, who do you want as the Sox 5th starter-Miller or Wakefield?:
    [QUOTE]Miller or Wakefield
    Posted by -EdithBunker-[/QUOTE]

i want a 3rd choice.
    miller is somewhat effective against weak hitting teams, like the white sox.
    we've seen that already.
    i, personally, do not want to see him pitch against the YANK-EMS friday; that could be brutal.
    as for wake, he shouldn't be allowed to throw more than 3 innings; so either put him in the bullpen or under it.
    therefore, i want a 3rd choice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

First, I'd like to see the Sox manage it so that neither Wakefield, Miller or Bedard has to face the Yankees this weekend.  And it can be done.

Second, I'd like to see all 6 starters get one go around before making any decision as to who goes to the pen.

Then, I suspect it will be Miller who goes to the pen and gets spot starts.  His WHIP is the worst ouf of any of the remaining options.  His record is just lucky.  But long term I am still high on the guy.  Still a good pickup for the Sox, IMO.