With the Braves Loss Today....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

With the Braves Loss Today....

...the Sox now have the best record in MLB.

(tied with the Rangers)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Re: With the Braves Loss Today....

Whodda thunk it, what a wonderfully surprising first month of the season.  Great pen, Lester and Buch pitching like two aces, harmonious clubhouse, good d, and lots of guys who can hit. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who'd have thunk a .336 team OBP would place them 3rd in the AL?

We are 3rd in runs, 2nd in SBs, 2nd in BBs, 2nd in 2Bs, and 6th in OPS. The 11th in HRs is a bit strange, but I think we'll see more dingers when the air heats up.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

We are 3rd in runs, 2nd in SBs, 2nd in BBs, 2nd in 2Bs, and 6th in OPS. The 11th in HRs is a bit strange, but I think we'll see more dingers when the air heats up.

And as Papi remains in the lineup.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

...and Iggy and JBJ remain in AAA as well, I suppose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

...and Iggy and JBJ remain in AAA as well, I suppose.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

The 11th in HRs is a bit strange, but I think we'll see more dingers when the air heats up.

Well, if Middlebrooks wasn't taking HR swings for most everyone in the lineup, maybe...  Undecided

I expected 20 more wins this season, just not at this pace.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

W/ last nights performance, Red Sox Pitching staff has the most Strike Outs (232) this month, than any month in franchise history. W/ 3 games to play yet.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

After last night's game, the Sox are now tied for 2nd in runs, .340 OBP remains third (2 points from second and two from first) and the Sox are tied for the lead in triples.

And here's an interesting stat to show it's not just about home runs. Despite being 11th in home runs, the Sox are now leading in slugging (.438) and are now first in OPS.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to emp9's comment:

The 11th in HRs is a bit strange, but I think we'll see more dingers when the air heats up.

Well, if Middlebrooks wasn't taking HR swings for most everyone in the lineup, maybe...  Undecided

Taht was my call as well, +20.  It's why I am not overly celebrating.  Not to go all ADGEO on the thread, but I think what we're looking at is a .500 team plus Lester and Buchholz.  Which, if you think they are an 89-win team, then it makes about perfect sense.  But instead of us going 7-3 in their ten starts, we are 10-0, s oinstead of having a 13-10 record, we are 16-7.

When these two go back to being .650-.700 pitchers, we'll go back to being a .555 team.  Just need to continue to ride this streak as long as we can.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

(tied with the Rangers)

They are playing well, better than the pundits expected but also have played more home games than any other team in that division.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bald-predictions. Show bald-predictions's posts

In response to ThatWasMe's comment:

(tied with the Rangers)

They are playing well, better than the pundits expected but also have played more home games than any other team in that division.

.....and...winning them

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

BMav made a few posts this offseason about how this team should have improved OBP and runs scored due to the fact that they were assembling a lineup of very patient hitters.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In response to bald-predictions's comment:

(tied with the Rangers)

.....and...winning them

Obviously.

But, and there always is one, their schedule to date has given them an early season advantage over the other teams in the ALE, who all to date have played less games at home.

Sox with 2 1/2 games up on the Yanks, 3 more home games.

It will all balance out.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

(tied with the Rangers)

Rangers have played 9 home games, Boston has had 14.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

Taht was my call as well, +20.  It's why I am not overly celebrating.  Not to go all ADGEO on the thread, but I think what we're looking at is a .500 team plus Lester and Buchholz.  Which, if you think they are an 89-win team, then it makes about perfect sense.  But instead of us going 7-3 in their ten starts, we are 10-0, s oinstead of having a 13-10 record, we are 16-7.

When these two go back to being .650-.700 pitchers, we'll go back to being a .555 team.  Just need to continue to ride this streak as long as we can.

Well, that was my "on paper", before the season started, wouldn't be surprised, assessment. A lot of home games this opening month (17-10), along w/ a lot of new players that, excluding Napoli, might not have translated at Fenway as well as they have. Have to wait and see what May nets and what a long road trip brings. Quick month, long season. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

(tied with the Rangers)

Yeah, the road is the next test.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to notin's comment:

BMav made a few posts this offseason about how this team should have improved OBP and runs scored due to the fact that they were assembling a lineup of very patient hitters.

I'm not surprised we are third in OBP. I'm surprised that a .336 OBP places 3rd.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

(tied with the Rangers)

Yeah, the road is the next test.

No question the Red Sox have played well, just thought when you compare them to the Rangers the home-road record has to be considered.

Funny that the Angels and Dodgers at this point are the teams not playing well. Considering all the pre-season fanfare for both.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

The accomplished, so far, the first hurdle which is getting off to a solid start. Now they have to endure a long road trip to pass the 2nd hurdle. If they can come back from that above .500, that would be a success IMO.

Long season, good start so far. Encouraging.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No question the Red Sox have played well, just thought when you compare them to the Rangers the home-road record has to be considered.

OK, let's do that:

On the road:

Sox 7-2

TX  9-5

The Sox will have to go 2-3 in their next 5 road games to equal the Rangers on the road. It could happen, since the Sox next 6 road games are 3 @ TOR then 3 @ TEX.

at home:

Sox 9-5

TEX 7-2

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

In response to softlaw2's comment:

I'm not impressed with the Astros or the Red Sox record from a snap shot at the beginning of a 162 game movie. Defense is not strong, and the slugging and pop in the middle is weak. Reminds of the leader in the first round of a golf tournament, no one remembers or cares by the team the final 9 holes are played.

This Red Sox team will be exposed as the non-title contender and playoff bubble team that it is. S. Drew will likely be written off in a "trade", and Otiz will go back on the DL. Dumpster and his 6 innings against bad baseball teams act will be exposed in the form of an ERA around 4.5 or higher.

Because of the unbalanced schedule and the player movement that will take place on and off the DL and trade market. the Red Sox record at this point is as meaningless as an opening 65 by a golfer who has been on tour for many years and never won a big tournament in his life.

The discerning eye can see the deep flaws in this Red Sox team, even after some home cooking against the great Astros.

S. Drew has been a total embarrassment.

Ortiz is out of bed and has 2HR on his march toward a season long production total that is dubious, at best.

Shane is on the shelf, early, in year 1 of a 39 million dollar deal where his only value is as an everyday CF'er. There is better value internally and on the trade and FA marekt, which will become evident in a very short time.

I take team records searious, just like I take major tournament golf rounds serious, after 9 holes are finished in the final round of the tournament. I'll take the Red Sox record serious after 140 games are completed.

But, I've noted how giddy Moonshemp and Board cheerleaders are, on April 27, 2013.

Giddy?

Hardly.

Happy?

Yes.

Title contender?

I still think not, but I feel less confident in that position after 1/7th of the season is over.

Hoping we keep winning?

Yes?

You?

No.

Sections
Shortcuts