Workman AB

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Workman AB

Can someone please explain to me why Workman, who has NEVER had an AB in his entire pro career, came to bat in the top of the ninth? He was an automatic out. Koji was ready to go, Workman had already done the job in the 8th, and Napoli is sitting on the bench? The whole thing was set up perfectly for a PH, with Koji coming in to pitch the 9th. I understand that SOP is not to bring in your closer on the road in a tie game in that situation, and Farrell said post-game that he played it that way expecting extra innings. But this is the World Series, after all. Don't you kind of have to go for the win by trying everything to score a run in the 9th and let your lights-out closer finish it off, especially knowing that Koji can easily go longer than one inning if needed?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

Re: Workman AB

I trace it back to the top of the 7th when Gomes PH for Doubrant.  Farrell emptied his bench in that inning and apparently wanted to save a Napoli PH for a later time.  It was a mistake.  I think it was also a mistake using Gomes in that spot.  Doubrant was throwing really well and there were 2 out in the inning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

In response to Thesemenarecowards' comment:

I trace it back to the top of the 7th when Gomes PH for Doubrant.  Farrell emptied his bench in that inning and apparently wanted to save a Napoli PH for a later time.  It was a mistake.  I think it was also a mistake using Gomes in that spot.  Doubrant was throwing really well and there were 2 out in the inning.

I thought the Gomes PH was fine in that position, and it did work out fine because Workman did the job in the 8th. He made it though the full inning, which meant Koji didn't have to come in in the 8th, so we could PH Napoli and still have Koji to close. Plus why save Napoli? In the 10th it would have been basically the top of our order. Who would you need to PH Napoli for in the 10th? Not Shane, Pedey or Papi, obviously. We needed Napoli in the bottom of the order, that's the weakness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Agreed 100%. Doubront was the guy to leave in to prolong having to use Tazawa, Breslow or Uehara.

I hardly ever criticize managers for in game decisions, so saying this is a rarity for me, but PH'ing Napoli seemed like a no-brainer, even with nobody on. His HR potential in big situations is high enough to risk giving up on a better chance later in extra innings.

(We would not PH Naps for anyone except the pitcher anyways, so had we gone to extra innings, it would have probably been much later than sooner, if ever, that he got another chance to PH.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

In response to moonslav59's comment:

Agreed 100%. Doubront was the guy to leave in to prolong having to use Tazawa, Breslow or Uehara.

I hardly ever criticize managers for in game decisions, so saying this is a rarity for me, but PH'ing Napoli seemed like a no-brainer, even with nobody on. His HR potential in big situations is high enough to risk giving up on a better chance later in extra innings.

(We would not PH Naps for anyone except the pitcher anyways, so had we gone to extra innings, it would have probably been much later than sooner, if ever, that he got another chance to PH.)

Exactly! I also hate to second-guess managers, and I think Farrell has mostly been great, but this one was a real head-scratcher. And listening to him post-game it sounded like he kind of knew he screwed up.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

If Buchholz staggers early, the Red Sox are probably stuck with Ryan Demster, given that they fired most of their bullets in Game 3.  I think the decision for taking out Doubront had more to do with keeping a little in the tank for Game 4.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

I thought the Gomes PH was fine in that position, and it did work out fine because Workman did the job in the 8th. He made it though the full inning, which meant Koji didn't have to come in in the 8th, so we could PH Napoli and still have Koji to close. Plus why save Napoli? In the 10th it would have been basically the top of our order. Who would you need to PH Napoli for in the 10th? Not Shane, Pedey or Papi, obviously. We needed Napoli in the bottom of the order, that's the weakness.

Gomes PH was in the 7th, not the 8th.  Doubrant came out for Breslow and the Cards scored 2 runs. 

I agree that Napoli should have hit for Workman, I'm just saying I think Farrell didn't do it because Napoli was the only bat left on the bench at that point, except for Berry.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

If Buchholz staggers early, the Red Sox are probably stuck with Ryan Demster, given that they fired most of their bullets in Game 3.  I think the decision for taking out Doubront had more to do with keeping a little in the tank for Game 4.  

Maybe.  I just think Farrell really overmanaged the top of the 7th.  Imagine that game had gone extra innings, after Koji all that was left was Morales and Dempster, would not have been good to use both of the them with Clay being so uncertain for game 4.

I hope Felix is available tonight, he was calm and attacking hitters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

In response to gibsonsg's comment:

Gomes PH was in the 7th, not the 8th.  Doubrant came out for Breslow and the Cards scored 2 runs. 

I agree that Napoli should have hit for Workman, I'm just saying I think Farrell didn't do it because Napoli was the only bat left on the bench at that point, except for Berry.

Probably right, but again, it would be top of the order in the 10th. What was he saving Napoli for? It would only make sense if he assumed the game would go 11 or 12 innings and he would need Napoli that late. Take your shot in the 9th, hope Napoli at least gets on base (if not hits a HR), and starts a rally in the top of the order right then and there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

People rightfully will talk about the idiotic final call but for the life of me i have no idea why we put Felix in there for just a few innings...and letting workman bat???

Francona-like

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

I was and am fine with sending Workman out to hit in the top of the 9th with one man out.    Game was tied and sure looked to be going into extra innings.  After Workman, there were just two relievers in the bullpen, Uehara and Dempster.  The intent was clearly to have Workman finish the 9th, then hand off to Uehara.  Plus I seriously doubt Napoli was going to hit Rosenthal. 

If Salty does not stupidly throw down to 3B, Uehara is a good bet to get Kozma and the Sox out of the 9th with Vic, Pedroia, and Ortiz coming to bat in the 10th. 

I would have been tempted, as moonslav says, to keep Doubront in and let him hit.  But later I realized that Doubront threw just 25 pitches and would have been available for game 4 or 5.  If he had stayed in until his next at bat, he would not have been available again.  He is better than the other long reliever for the WS, Dempster. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to maxbialystock's comment:

I was and am fine with sending Workman out to hit in the top of the 9th with one man out.    Game was tied and sure looked to be going into extra innings.  After Workman, there were just two relievers in the bullpen, Uehara and Dempster.  The intent was clearly to have Workman finish the 9th, then hand off to Uehara.  Plus I seriously doubt Napoli was going to hit Rosenthal. 

If Salty does not stupidly throw down to 3B, Uehara is a good bet to get Kozma and the Sox out of the 9th with Vic, Pedroia, and Ortiz coming to bat in the 10th. 

I would have been tempted, as moonslav says, to keep Doubront in and let him hit.  But later I realized that Doubront threw just 25 pitches and would have been available for game 4 or 5.  If he had stayed in until his next at bat, he would not have been available again.  He is better than the other long reliever for the WS, Dempster. 

This ^^^

IMO Farrell played this right.  Taking Dubront out saved him for some innings in Game 4 - which we also need to win.  The situation with Buch being what it is, we may need all the pitching we can get in Game 4.

As to allowing Workman to hit, that was the right move with one out and nobody on base.  I'm confident that if there'd been someone on base Workman wouldn't have been batting.  Having Workman hit allowed him to come out and pitch the 9th, and stay there until he got into trouble.  Which is what happened.  Had he gotten through the 9th we'd have had the top of our order coming up and Koji to pitch, probably until his arm fell off or one team won the game, whichever came first.   

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to S5's comment:

This ^^^

IMO Farrell played this right.  Taking Dubront out saved him for some innings in Game 4 - which we also need to win.  The situation with Buch being what it is, we may need all the pitching we can get in Game 4.

As to allowing Workman to hit, that was the right move with one out and nobody on base.  I'm confident that if there'd been someone on base Workman wouldn't have been batting.  Having Workman hit allowed him to come out and pitch the 9th, and stay there until he got into trouble.  Which is what happened.  Had he gotten through the 9th we'd have had the top of our order coming up and Koji to pitch, probably until his arm fell off or one team won the game, whichever came first.   

Exactly, to both posts. Chances of getting a big hit off Rosenthal, was slim to none. Get past him and go from there, with our best. Rosenthal is not available tonight. Sox pen is still in good shape and will likely need them, tonight. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scubber. Show scubber's posts

This ^^^

But the inning before, Farrell PH for Doubront with 2 outs and nobody on.  So one is the absolute right move, then what about the other one, what is the right thinking that makes one the right move but the other is not?  Then he also PH for Drew with Middlebrook,  why take out your best SS when there is a lot more to go when Middlebrook has also been struggling so much?  Why throw so many bats out early and sacrifice defense and at the same time leaving Salty in with Ross known as the better defensive player in a tie game of a world series game?  Every single moves blew up, Bogaerts did not make a very important play, Breslow again made mistakes, Middlebrook gave nothing on offense and gave suspect defense, Salty gave nothing on offense and made terrible mistake.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Then he also PH for Drew with Middlebrook,  why take out your best SS when there is a lot more to go when Middlebrook has also been struggling so much?

I agree.  I wouldn't mind MB PHing for the pitcher, but he is probably the worst hitter on the team.You weaken the defense, with not a lot of promise of success offensively.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Sheriff-Rojas' comment:

Maybe.  I just think Farrell really overmanaged the top of the 7th.  Imagine that game had gone extra innings, after Koji all that was left was Morales and Dempster, would not have been good to use both of the them with Clay being so uncertain for game 4.

I hope Felix is available tonight, he was calm and attacking hitters.

I agree.  He used all his bullets all at once and too soon.  He made the perfect call bring in Doubront, but he should've allowed him to go another full rotation.  He should've let batting order go down 1-2-3 in the 7th, if necessary.  If we had guys on base, maybe I PH.  Maybe if Doubront was the leadoff hitter, maybe, but probably not.  2 out and no one on, I didn't like the move.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from pumpsie-green. Show pumpsie-green's posts

This ^^^

Even Farrell knew he made a mistake by allowing Workman to hit in the ninth. The right move would have been to PH Napoli and hope he had a HR in him. Dempster could have gone a long ways if he needed to. Its a real head scratcher why Napoli never got to hit and the pitcher was at bat in the ninth inning. Farrell has not had a good WS. For all his other faults, I always thought Francona was a very good playoff manager.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from J-BAY. Show J-BAY's posts

In response to pumpsie-green's comment:

This ^^^

Even Farrell knew he made a mistake by allowing Workman to hit in the ninth. The right move would have been to PH Napoli and hope he had a HR in him. Dempster could have gone a long ways if he needed to. Its a real head scratcher why Napoli never got to hit and the pitcher was at bat in the ninth inning. Farrell has not had a good WS. For all his other faults, I always thought Francona was a very good playoff manager.

Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe 10h

Farrell admitted he should have double switched Salty out after the 8th inning. Letting Workman hit was a mistake.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

There is no question that Napoli should have pinch hit. Chances are that Rosenthal strikes him out, but you have to give it a shot. Plus, you do not really want Workman going out there in a sudden death ninth inning situation. You want your closer starting that inning.  I don't think it is bashing Farrell to point these things out.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

In response to scubber's comment:

This ^^^

But the inning before, Farrell PH for Doubront with 2 outs and nobody on.  So one is the absolute right move, then what about the other one, what is the right thinking that makes one the right move but the other is not?  Then he also PH for Drew with Middlebrook,  why take out your best SS when there is a lot more to go when Middlebrook has also been struggling so much?  Why throw so many bats out early and sacrifice defense and at the same time leaving Salty in with Ross known as the better defensive player in a tie game of a world series game?  Every single moves blew up, Bogaerts did not make a very important play, Breslow again made mistakes, Middlebrook gave nothing on offense and gave suspect defense, Salty gave nothing on offense and made terrible mistake.

As I said in my prior post, taking Dubront out when Farrell did saves Dubront for some innings in Game 4.  I have no problem with that.  I'l confess to being a bit nervous when Workman came in, but once again it was the right call. 

As for PH for Drew with Middlebrooks... *I* wouldn't have done that because I'm a defense-oriented guy.  I've said all along that there's no way I'd have an inexperienced SS at that position in the playoffs.  However, as was pointed out to me, the Red Sox put more emphasis on offense than they do on defense so from THEIR perspective it was the right thing to do. 

The same with Salty vs. Ross.  In spite of the small sample size of the playoffs, while Ross is the superior defensive player Salty is the superior offensive player.  The manager went with the offense.  When you live by the sword you die by the sword. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Two wrongs don't make a right. 

He should have let Doubront bat in the 7th inning of the tie game. Realizing he was wrong the first time, he let Workman bat in the 9th, again a wrong move.

He admitted it as he said he should have double switched with Salty/Workman for Uehara/Ross.

He got outmanaged. Look at the box score. He had 7 different players in the 9th position in the batting order. That isn't National League baseball. You double switch like Matheny did. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

This ^^^

Where did you see that?  I watched the entire post game, he never said that

He said it. He said he should have double switched with Ross.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from S5. Show S5's posts

This ^^^

I wouldn't have questioned bringing in Napoli (and a hope) but I also don't question the strategy of giving up that out with Workman batting to allow Workman to pitch the 9th until he got into trouble.  A strategy that would have worked had Bogarts not let him down - which was totally unpredictable.
    I DO have to take exception to your statement that you think Dempster could have gone a long ways if he had to.  This is the same person you've referred to repeatedly as "DUMPSTER" so why do you have this confidence in him all of a sudden??  I certainly didn't and I've never referred to him as anything but "Ryan" or "Dempster".

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to J-BAY's comment:

This ^^^

Exactly, to both posts. Chances of getting a big hit off Rosenthal, was slim to none. Get past him and go from there, with our best. Rosenthal is not available tonight. Sox pen is still in good shape and will likely need them, tonight. 

How is Rosenthal not ready? He would have gone out for a third inning last night if they didn't pinch hit for him, and secondly, he only threw 20 pitches in the two innings. 

Sections
Shortcuts