Workman and Webster

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Workman and Webster

Dempster taking a seat for the year all but guarantees these two guys are going to get some starts this year what with the inevitable injuries that happen along the way.

Do not sleep on Webster. I like Dempster and he was a solid pro, but Webster has the potential to be a number 2 guy on a big market team and we all saw what workman is capable of. Spring training just got a little more interesting.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

Re: Workman and Webster

In response to 37stories' comment:

Dempster taking a seat for the year all but guarantees these two guys are going to get some starts this year what with the inevitable injuries that happen along the way.

Do not sleep on Webster. I like Dempster and he was a solid pro, but Webster has the potential to be a number 2 guy on a big market team and we all saw what workman is capable of. Spring training just got a little more interesting.

Workman deserves the first shot, then Renaudo if he starts strong again in 2014 not Webster.  I don't really see anything special about Webster as far as having any long term success at the major league level but you never know.  I remember when Yankee fans were debating with us about who would be better Phil Hughes or Clay before arriving in the majors and I always said Clay.

I think Renaudo will have more success than Webster.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

Agree....... OPPORTUNITY KNOCKs.......  Factor in the poor sleeping positions of "DAY TO DAY CLAY" and the entire pitching staff takes on a new look.... But, is baseball not like that !!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BMav. Show BMav's posts

In 2012, Webster put up these numbers in AA...

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

He was ranked after that performance at 49th and 71st respectively.

In 2013 he improved his numbers even though he jumped to AAA...

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

But because of a couple of bad starts in MLB he seems to have dropped in some eyes. His stuff certainly didn't drop. Nor did his minor league performance.

I do worry about his mound presence in Boston though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Honestly, I saw Dempster as someone who would likely be gone before the end of Spring training. He just didn't have much left last season. The other guys you mention, plus a few others, were already ahead of him headed into camp, IMO.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to BMav's comment:

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

But because of a couple of bad starts in MLB he seems to have dropped in some eyes. His stuff certainly didn't drop. Nor did his minor league performance.

I could be dead wrong BMav but Webster reminds me so much of a young Phil Hughes.  I also have my doubts on his long term durability.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to RallyC's comment:

Honestly, I saw Dempster as someone who would likely be gone before the end of Spring training. He just didn't have much left last season. The other guys you mention, plus a few others, were already ahead of him headed into camp, IMO.

TRUE DAT .....  But @ 13,5MIL, it was still a class act !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 37stories. Show 37stories's posts

Not when he was making 13 million. that pretty much makes it certain a guy gets the ball.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

Not only that but even at the MLB level the amount of swings and misses he was generating was phenomenal.

I don't know how anyone can deny he has one of the highest ceilings in our system.  Definitely much higher than Workman and Ranaudo.  His stuff is good.  Now this doesn't come without saying he may never fully harness it and become a pitcher. 

So Yes Ranaudo could very well end up being a more succesful pitcher than Webster, but he hasn't surpassed him yet, he has still barely done anything above AA.

I suspect we will see a few guys contribute this year from Webster/Ranaudo/Barnes/wright. 

I think between Dempster and Wright going down that it is almost guranteed that RDLR starts the year off as a starter.  I was certain they were going to stick with him a little bit longer in that role but I thnk the odds are even greater now.  So he could be a contributor at some point this year as well.

But yes Your original point is view I hold and share.  Webster has shown a lot of improvement and people are down on him because of a few bad MLB starts.  But he had a good AAA year, and people forget that he is also new to pitching.  He didn't really pitch in highschool and didn't really start pitching full time until he was drafted. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to craze4sox's comment:

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

I could be dead wrong BMav but Webster reminds me so much of a young Phil Hughes.  I also have my doubts on his long term durability.

Why?

11. This post has been removed.

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Not when he was making 13 million. that pretty much makes it certain a guy gets the ball.

Or that a trade partner over values him based on pedigree and and bites. I still say he woulda been gone via trade hadn't he left. I also think he anticipated that exact uncertainty and IT actually made his decision to walk all that much easier. Class act though......Good clubhouse leadership, qualty dude.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seannybboi. Show seannybboi's posts

I think Workman is better suited as late inning reliever.  Webster should get first call up if needed.  I saw all of Webster's major league games last season and while his control remains as the biggest issue, Webster has some nasty stuff that will make him solid #2 starter.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In response to Bill-806's comment:

Agree....... OPPORTUNITY KNOCKs.......  Factor in the poor sleeping positions of "DAY TO DAY CLAY" and the entire pitching staff takes on a new look.... But, is baseball not like that !!!

At every Yankee game, there is always someone in the crowd, usually a drunken idiots, that says something he thinks is funny.  Then he will repeat it ad nauseum, until he falls down the stairs and leaves.

Bill, when Mitch said it, it was barely even cute then.  Saying Day-to-day Clay, every day, is not going to get you the attention you crave.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BobLoblaw2005a. Show BobLoblaw2005a's posts

In response to Joebreidey's comment:

In response to Bill-806's comment:

At every Yankee game, there is always someone in the crowd, usually a drunken idiots, that says something he thinks is funny.  Then he will repeat it ad nauseum, until he falls down the stairs and leaves.

Bill, when Mitch said it, it was barely even cute then.  Saying Day-to-day Clay, every day, is not going to get you the attention you crave.

This applies to 90% of the things ever said by Bill on this forum.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnewmex. Show soxnewmex's posts

Owens will be in the starting ro by August.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

I disagree.  I think he actually hits a speed bump this year, then comes roaring back in 2015 and pushes himself in. 

Edit: If he makes huge strides with his control issues, I could be wrong. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

Why?

I like the fact Webster has a couple good swing and miss pitches and decent fastball don't get me wrong.  He reminds me of Phil Hughes who had similar strengths and amazing minor league stats but lost arm speed very quickly at the big league level. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

WHIP---1.485

Inn-K rate---131-129

ERA---3.86

WHIP---1.086

Inn-K rate---105-116

ERA---3.60

Why?

I like the fact Webster has a couple good swing and miss pitches and decent fastball don't get me wrong.  He reminds me of Phil Hughes who had similar strengths and amazing minor league stats but lost arm speed very quickly at the big league level. 

Yes but lost arm speed is usually for a reason...such as injury history or screwy mechanics.  I haven't seen anyone worried about Websters ability to stay healhty over the long term in terms of the mechanics of his delivery and he has a pretty healthy track record.

So again...I don't understand the concern for his long term durability in the absense of just guessing. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

In response to soxnewmex's comment:

Could be ...... He looks like a real interesting prospect, for sure !!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

also Hughes was more of a fastball slider type of pitcher and I see Webster as being more of a fastball Change up kind of guy.  Also Hughes coming up never had the command questions that Webster had.

Hughes was also much more highly regarded, although that doesn't mean that Webster can't have a much better career.  

I'm failing to see the comp here....other than they were both highly regarded pitching prospects and have swing and miss stuff...but right there that can compare 1/2 the pitchers in baseball. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from craze4sox. Show craze4sox's posts

also Hughes was more of a fastball slider type of pitcher and I see Webster as being more of a fastball Change up kind of guy.  Also Hughes coming up never had the command questions that Webster had.

Hughes was also much more highly regarded, although that doesn't mean that Webster can't have a much better career.  

I'm failing to see the comp here....other than they were both highly regarded pitching prospects and have swing and miss stuff...but right there that can compare 1/2 the pitchers in baseball. 

Just my take hugh, I could still be dead wrong. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I see Webster similar to the Kelley kid that was the Sox big time prospect traded to San Diego. I wish both all the best  but I don't see either being the players we are anticipating.

If a trade partner surfaced in the NL for Webster I would move him. I think Owens , Ranaudo, Workman---I haven't seen Barnes--may all be ultimately better than Webster. Maybe he is a slow starter. It would be interesting to hear JF's thoughts.

If there will be a repeat of the 2013 WS Championship in the years to come these boys will have to mature sufficiently to make it happen. Time will tell. Perhaps we will get a glimpse of Barnes and Owens in Portland for a few weeks this spring.

Sections
Shortcuts