Workman to the Pen

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Workman to the Pen

Workman is headed to the pen after this deal becomes offical. This helps the BP greatly. Still would like one more righty.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Workman to the Pen

In response to BosoxJoe5's comment:

Workman is headed to the pen after this deal becomes offical. This helps the BP greatly. Still would like one more righty.

Joe - Exactly. It's a risk with Peavy, but now they don't need a bullpen arm. They can move Workman to the bullpen, send down De La Torre and bring Bogaerts up to play 3B.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I think Dempster or Doubie to the pen before  Workman.

Perhaps a 6 man rotation:

Peavy, Workman, Lester, Doubie, Dempster, Lackey.

The pen is starting to show some order:

Tonight: Breslow, Thornton, Beato

Last night: Taz, Ue

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Could work out if Workman's stuff translates well into the pen, and if Bogaerts is the real thing. If, if...... But be that as it may, tommorw nights game will be VERY interesting to say the least! 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickerd2. Show rickerd2's posts

Workman can become a long guy/spot starter.

If at first you don't succeed, try and tick everyone else off.  If that doesn't work, blame it on the dog.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from natepioneer0350. Show natepioneer0350's posts

In Workman, does anyone see shades of Justin Masterson and before that Bronson Arroyo

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'd rather see Dempster demoted to the bullpen. Everyone calls him an innings eater, yet I see a guy who pitches solidly for 3 innings and then loses it fast. That's the type who should go into middle relief, not a young up-and-comer now hitting his stride as a starter.

But that's not the way it works in major league baseball. Dempster is the veteran making big money. Workman is the rookie on a minimum salary contract with minor league options. Therefore Dempster will be assured a spot in the rotation while the superior pitcher gets relegated to mop-up.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

In response to natepioneer0350's comment:

In Workman, does anyone see shades of Justin Masterson and before that Bronson Arroyo

Yes, a flashback to two championship seasons where tall, lanky swingman righties in transitional roles play important parts in key post-season victories.   If this pattern follows, we'll be watching another duckboat parade, and later, see Workman traded for a bat during a Red Sox offensive power outage.  He then goes on to become a solid middle-of-the-rotation starter for a small market team in the midwest.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Whomever goes to the pen will provide much needed depth. If sissyboy Clay ever decides to play again, we could be dangerous in the post season.

Teakus-Carpe Veritatem!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

From what I've read the sox feel this kids stuff is better suited for the pen....which is great news because his stuff has played out pretty darn good as a starter so I would imagine he can really help us in the pen down the stretch.  Him + Britton could really strengthen that pen.  

I suspect Workman will get another chance to start; I can see him being a very good swing man.  The sox actually value swing men as wome teams don't.  Personally I think it's a position often underestimated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

I see a six man rotation with the pitcher due a bullpen possibly throwing 1 or 2 innings if need be.

This would throw one of the rotation arms into the mix if a game goes into extra innings or leave them out of the mix if their arm is fatigued.

The extra rest helped Lester it probably wouldn't hurt Doubrount.

Do't count Doubie out as trade bait today--especially if they decide to make a move for Stanton or Lee or maybe even up for Norris.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from brianbosox. Show brianbosox's posts

This will never happen as Iggy could not play over Drew but Keep Workman starting and put Dempster in pen.  Eventually, it could be Peavy in the pen oh but he won't do it as a 5.+ ERA will be in his future.

Doubie and others for Stanton.  Is Stanton doing good this year or is he an early casualty of Supplement use?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In response to ctredsoxfanhugh's comment:

From what I've read the sox feel this kids stuff is better suited for the pen....which is great news because his stuff has played out pretty darn good as a starter so I would imagine he can really help us in the pen down the stretch.  Him + Britton could really strengthen that pen.  

I suspect Workman will get another chance to start; I can see him being a very good swing man.  The sox actually value swing men as wome teams don't.  Personally I think it's a position often underestimated.

Exactly

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

I like WORKMAN !!!!!   Ben has done a great job getting many contributions out of 3-A ....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lasitter. Show lasitter's posts

Workman has a nice hook. Six man rotation or perfect for double-header makeups. He could be the go to guy for resting Lackey, Doubront, Dempster ...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mef429. Show mef429's posts

In response to MadMc44's comment:

I see a six man rotation with the pitcher due a bullpen possibly throwing 1 or 2 innings if need be.

This would throw one of the rotation arms into the mix if a game goes into extra innings or leave them out of the mix if their arm is fatigued.

The extra rest helped Lester it probably wouldn't hurt Doubrount.

Do't count Doubie out as trade bait today--especially if they decide to make a move for Stanton or Lee or maybe even up for Norris.

Doobie is the best pitcher on the staff... you want him traded for bud norris?? the guy who has an ERA over 4.5 IN THE NL!? crazyness!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

That's probably good. His fastball willl look better out of the pen ... and his other stuff will look better next to a better fastball.

Sections
Shortcuts