World Cup Comes Down to Penalty Shots

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

World Cup Comes Down to Penalty Shots

Amazing game.

Kudos to gutsy Japanese side.

May it be a healing touch to Japan ...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

Re: World Cup Comes Down to Penalty Shots

Completely agree.  The Japanese women weren't favored to get to the finals or semi-finals, but they hung in there, and their country could use a little morale boost. 

Two great goals by the Americans, but a lot of good opportunities lost to shots flying over the goal.  A fact little known to a few of our women--over 95% of shots over the goal don't go in. 

The defense looked a little confused in the second half, and our gals also looked tired. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sheriff-Rojas. Show Sheriff-Rojas's posts

Y'know SY, there are times when it just feels right that a certain team should win, like when the Detroit Tigers won in 1968  after a difficult year for the city, or when the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl, or when the Red Sox came from behind against the Yankees in 2004 to break the curse.  This again, was one of those times.  Congratulations, Japan.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

In Response to Re: World Cup Comes Down to Penalty Shots:
    [QUOTE]Completely agree.  The Japanese women weren't favored to get to the finals or semi-finals, but they hung in there, and their country could use a little morale boost.  Two great goals by the Americans, but a lot of good opportunities lost to shots flying over the goal.  A fact little known to a few of our women--over 95% of shots over the goal don't go in.  The defense looked a little confused in the second half, and our gals also looked tired. 
    Posted by maxbialystock[/QUOTE]

They have played a lot of minutes in the last several matches.  I know they won't take that as an excuse. 

As you say ... lots of wasted shots, but credit the other side, they were in the way en masse, marked Abby Wambach well.

I really hoped it wouldn't go to kicks after Hope Solo went down for a minute.  I thought, there goes her mobility.

Still, two good sides that shook up the futbal world ....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]Y'know SY, there are times when it just feels right that a certain team should win, like when the Detroit Tigers won in 1968  after a difficult year for the city, or when the New Orleans Saints won the Super Bowl, or when the Red Sox came from behind against the Yankees in 2004 to break the curse.  This again, was one of those times.  Congratulations, Japan.  
    Posted by Sheriff-Rojas[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from intolerance. Show intolerance's posts

i thought this was a baseball forum?  women's soccer of all things

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxKimmi. Show RedSoxKimmi's posts

I agree with the sentiment here.  While it would have been nice for our US team to win, I can't say that I'm disappointed that Japan won. 

Congrats to Japan, and congrats to the US team as well.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

absolute choke by USA, no other way to explain it. Sorry, this one of sport's all-time chokes. USA led 1-0 late in regulation, choked. USA led 2-1 late in extra time, choked. USA had a free kick right at the goalie box after tied 2-2, choked. USA missed three straight penalty kicks (2 by saves, one over the net by a veteran)...choked. Sorry, I know it hurts to say this about our fine women's team, but this was a choke, make no mistake. Japan should be proud of its goalie and its comeback ability.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannycater. Show dannycater's posts

2 US players collided tryng to clear a pass right before the tying goal. Just incompetent, panic play by USA. Solo, the goalie, deserved better, not at fault.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from fenwayjack2. Show fenwayjack2's posts

You mean the super-sized american girls didn't win?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]2 US players collided tryng to clear a pass right before the tying goal. Just incompetent, panic play by USA. Solo, the goalie, deserved better, not at fault.
    Posted by dannycater[/QUOTE]

Didn't blame Solo.  But those few frenzied moments where the defense "allowed" pinball to pop around the goal mouth were easy for us to say should have cleared, but Japan's offense caused just enough confusion to get the job done.

Foreshadowing in the first 20 minutes with all the missed shots on goal....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SinceYaz. Show SinceYaz's posts

[QUOTE]i thought this was a baseball forum?  women's soccer of all things
    Posted by intolerance[/QUOTE]

Yep.

And with all the politics thrown around here and name calling that goes on is all baseball talk.

Don't worry, the Women's World Cup only comes around every four years

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

It reminded me of an NFL team going into the " prevent " defense when leading late, blowing the lead ,then regaining the lead and going into the " prevent " again, and blowing the lead again. A shame because the U.S.A. showed that they could control the game by staying aggressive. After that, it seemed that the air went out and the penalty kicks almost seemed anticlimactic. Choke may be too strong a word , but it was definitely poor strategy.  Of course, I am not a soccer expert  by any means, but that is how I saw it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Your-Echo. Show Your-Echo's posts

Typical Cater.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

I was so distracted by Hope Solo's beauty that I was not focused on the actual game.  Laughing

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]i thought this was a baseball forum?  women's soccer of all things
    Posted by intolerance[/QUOTE]
    You're showing your intolerance. It was a tremendous effort from both sides.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from GEAUX-TIGRES. Show GEAUX-TIGRES's posts

[QUOTE]I was so distracted by Hope Solo's beauty that I was not focused on the actual game. 
    Posted by Ice-Cream[/QUOTE]
    She is definitely hot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

Congrats to the ladies of Japan, a gutty effort throughout the tourney by the US women...