Worst Baseball Cliches!

1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

Re: Worst Baseball Cliches!

moonslav59 wants to ad some "quality" innings eaters to the rotation for 2013. Funny thing about iinings eaters.... they pitch 200 innings and generally have an era over 4.50. Real important ingredient to a winning team. Not really.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

sparkplug
    quarterback
    glue
    Our backs are to the wall
    we have to play better
    our national pastime
    baseball is the greatest game ever invented
    god given ability
    ducks are on the pond
    carrying the team on his back
    that's baseball
    he has gas (fastball)
    he's due
    it's a game of inches

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Remy's "good success" always gets me.

I don't know if it qualifies as a "cliche" , but if I am having success against a pitcher it is undoubtedly "good."

Not having success is "lack of success" as opposed to "bad success" which would be as stupid as "good success."

Another line that confuses me is when they say, "he runs well." Well of course he does, how can you be an athlete if you don't run well? Even Brian Daubach ran "well"....he was slow as molasses , but he ran "well." I think what they should say is he "runs fast." Or that he has good speed.

A 3rd one is when a ball is hit deep off the wall and the announcer ( Orsillo) says "he's thinking about two"...well , if he's hit the ball off the wall, he better be "thinking" about a double!!!...what the heck else would he be thinking about?...an ice cream sundae?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

In response to TrotterNixon's comment:

These cliches are examples of completely lame and certified droning blather:

Insurance
    Showcasing
    Good pitching beats good hitting
    Innings eater
    Flip (In the context of a baseball trade)
    Disrupts the Pitcher (in base stealer context)
    Upside

Why?  What is so blathery (or even cliche) about insurance?  Insurance runs are what they are and there is really nothing cliche about the term.  Showcasing?  I don't undertand why that is cliche.  It may be speculative, as it is often hard to know when exactly someone is being showcased, but hardly a cliche.

Innings eater?  Sure, terrible.  But not because an innings-eater has no worth.  A true innings-eater is quite valuable.  the problem is, the term is most often used for a pitcher who actually is not an innings-eater at all, (I will bite here Softy) ala Tim Wakefield, who was hardly a consistent innings-eater, in fact was a burden on the bullpen, particularly late in his career.

Flip?  OK, maybe you do not like the vernacular, but you are confusing 'words/phrases I think are stupid' with a 'cliche'.

Disrupts the pitcher?  Um, why.  Pretty valid, if relatively small, aspect of the game.  Are you just throwing this in there because people have stated that Ellsbury has value in this aspect of the game.  Really nothing cliche at all about it.

Upside?  OK, yeah I can see that.  People talk about upside a lot for anyone who either has underperformed or is unproven.  Maybe a cliche.  But borderline at that.  Its not really trite, just overused.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

One of the best (or worst) ones that I ever heard (or read) was: The key to successful pitching is throwing strikes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Remy's "good success" always gets me.

I don't know if it qualifies as a "cliche" , but if I am having success against a pitcher it is undoubtedly "good."

Not having success is "lack of success" as opposed to "bad success" which would be as stupid as "good success."

Another line that confuses me is when they say, "he runs well." Well of course he does, how can you be an athlete if you don't run well? Even Brian Daubach ran "well"....he was slow as molasses , but he ran "well." I think what they should say is he "runs fast." Or that he has good speed.

A 3rd one is when a ball is hit deep off the wall and the announcer ( Orsillo) says "he's thinking about two"...well , if he's hit the ball off the wall, he better be "thinking" about a double!!!...what the heck else would he be thinking about?...an ice cream sundae?

[/QUOTE]I think it's more of a redundancy than a cliche

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Walk-off win!
    This has to be the most rediculous. If the home team scores the go-ahead run in the 9th or after, it is ALWAYS a walk-off. It can be no other kind.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Actually, it should be called a walk-off loss, since the visiting team is the one doing the walking off.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from slasher9. Show slasher9's posts

true yankee

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from maxbialystock. Show maxbialystock's posts

[QUOTE]

Insurance
    Showcasing
    Innings eater
    Upside

[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  There are plenty of useless cliches.  Not sure I agree, however, that good pitching beats good hitting is worthless.  Good pitching can not only beat good hitting--I remember Pedro doing that many times against teams like Yankees--but good pitching in general can sustain a team when the hitting is only average or below average.  See the Rays right now, for example. 

This year and in the recent past the Sox have not had  "innings eaters," which means getting the bullpen in there earlier, sometimes with mixed results.  I think the three big stats for starters should be ERA (or WHIP or both), innings pitched, and strikeouts.  That means not only going 7 innings on average, but also getting 33 starts. 

Disrupts the pitcher right now only seems to apply to Sox pitchers.  For a while, Cook couldn't even throw to first, so he found even a slow guy on first a distraction.  If you mean Ellsbury doesn't distract pitchers these days, I agree. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgalehouse. Show dgalehouse's posts

After blowing a big lead in the division :  " If they told me before the season that we would be tied for first on Sept. 5 , I would have have signed on to that in a minute. "

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"He has a good glove."

Shouldn't they just say, "he's a good fielder"..????

When I was 10 years old, I had a good glove!!!...when it was finally broken in. These guys are professionals, they make lots of money. Why would they have a "bad glove?"

And then there's ,"he always comes to play"....well what should he be coming to do?....eat lunch?

"The manager is looking for him to go deep into the game"....talking about his starter. What manager wouldn't want a starter to go deep into a game?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Not sure I agree, however, that good pitching beats good hitting is worthless.  Good pitching can not only beat good hitting-

There are 17 teams that are above-average in RAs.  13 of 17 those teams also have an above-average record.

No pitching equals no winning.

I remember one of the posters in here using Cleveland as an example of how well a team could play without good pitching.  They've gone 15-40 since Softy started that thread.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

Chemistry
    Momentum
    Unity....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to Alibiike's comment:

Actually, it should be called a walk-off loss, since the visiting team is the one doing the walking off.

I think that's exactly how the phrase originated, and I'm pretty sure it was Eck himself who first said it, about himself.

It has definitely become a stupidly overused term now. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

'Momentum?  Momentum is the next day's starting pitcher.'  Classic line from Earl Weaver.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Insurance
    Showcasing
    Innings eater
    Upside

Why?  What is so blathery (or even cliche) about insurance?  Insurance runs are what they are and there is really nothing cliche about the term.  Showcasing?  I don't undertand why that is cliche.  It may be speculative, as it is often hard to know when exactly someone is being showcased, but hardly a cliche.

Innings eater?  Sure, terrible.  But not because an innings-eater has no worth.  A true innings-eater is quite valuable.  the problem is, the term is most often used for a pitcher who actually is not an innings-eater at all, (I will bite here Softy) ala Tim Wakefield, who was hardly a consistent innings-eater, in fact was a burden on the bullpen, particularly late in his career.

Flip?  OK, maybe you do not like the vernacular, but you are confusing 'words/phrases I think are stupid' with a 'cliche'.

Disrupts the pitcher?  Um, why.  Pretty valid, if relatively small, aspect of the game.  Are you just throwing this in there because people have stated that Ellsbury has value in this aspect of the game.  Really nothing cliche at all about it.

Upside?  OK, yeah I can see that.  People talk about upside a lot for anyone who either has underperformed or is unproven.  Maybe a cliche.  But borderline at that.  Its not really trite, just overused.

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was obvious why.  I knew before I clocked the link this was another attempt to promote his downplay the importance of pitching.  If he doesn't want the Sox to get a pitcher or two, fine.  No idea why he repeatedly tells us, since, as far as I know, no one here is Ben Cherington, and no one here reports to him.

Interestingly in his "offense only" philosophy, offense also does not count.  He has certainly repeatedly downnplayed team offense and run differential.  And of course, defense has never been important to him, either.

That takes out everything. I have no idea hat he is a fan of...

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In response to notin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to SpacemanEephus' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Insurance
    Showcasing
    Innings eater
    Upside

[/QUOTE]

I thought it was obvious why.  I knew before I clocked the link this was another attempt to promote his downplay the importance of pitching.  If he doesn't want the Sox to get a pitcher or two, fine.  No idea why he repeatedly tells us, since, as far as I know, no one here is Ben Cherington, and no one here reports to him.

Interestingly in his "offense only" philosophy, offense also does not count.  He has certainly repeatedly downnplayed team offense and run differential.  And of course, defense has never been important to him, either.

That takes out everything. I have no idea hat he is a fan of...

[/QUOTE]

Dumping Ellsbury & Aviles. He already took care of Lowrie, Wastefield, Varitek, and a few others. And putting Lackey in his doghouse isn't exactly a unique POV

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I need the delete feature back. I'm sorry I wasted my time responding to this ******** thread.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

moonslav59  wants to ad some "quality" innings eaters to the rotation for 2013. ...

I never said anything even remotely like this. 

Sorry. if that sounds like a cliche.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

I repeat - delete.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Talking about Wastefield is cliche.   Or is it passee?