Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever

I call out to forum members to utilize your knowledge and determine if Lackey, is the worst free agent pitcher signing ever. Yes, he has three years left, but this season with his 6.49 ERA and 1.63 WHIP is probably the worst of any free agent signing ever.

Other names that come to mind include:

1. Barry Zito - His worst ERA with the Giants is 5.15, not even close to Lackey's 6.49.

2. Mike Hampton - His ERA was similar with the Rockies but he was pitching in Coors Field at a time when steroid use was rampant. He want to pitch some quality seasons with the Braves afterwards.

3. Carlos Silva - Seattle signed him to a 4-year $48M deal and he had a 6.46 ERA one of the years. They were able to dump him to the Cubs for Milton Bradley, another bustout.

4. Carl Pavano, NYY - His years with New York were not successful, but his ERA never came close to Lackey's.

Any other names out there?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever

In Response to Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever:
    [QUOTE]I call out to forum members to utilize your knowledge and determine if Lackey, is the worst free agent pitcher signing ever. Yes, he has three years left, but this season with his 6.49 ERA and 1.63 WHIP is probably the worst of any free agent signing ever. Other names that come to mind include: 1. Barry Zito - His worst ERA with the Giants is 5.15, not even close to Lackey's 6.49. 2. Mike Hampton - His ERA was similar with the Rockies but he was pitching in Coors Field at a time when steroid use was rampant. He want to pitch some quality seasons with the Braves afterwards. 3. Carlos Silva - Seattle signed him to a 4-year $48M deal and he had a 6.46 ERA one of the years. They were able to dump him to the Cubs for Milton Bradley, another bustout. 4. Carl Pavano, NYY - His years with New York were not successful, but his ERA never came close to Lackey's. Any other names out there?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]

Zito pitches vs NL teams with no DH. he also pitches a lot of games in LAD and SD. This brings down his ERA. I'd say it's close to a tie between Lackey and Zito.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : Zito pitches vs NL teams with no DH. he also pitches a lot of games in LAD and SD. This brings down his ERA. I'd say it's close to a tie between Lackey and Zito.
    Posted by moonslav59[/QUOTE]

Good. Then maybe the Giants will swap Zito for Lackey.  His attitude can't be worse than Lackey's. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

this will only hold true until THEODORE signs another FA pitcher.
    theo is king midas in reverse; everything he touches turns to poo-poo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Yes, Lackey has been terrible but what is the motivation behind comparing to other busts?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gramercy-Park. Show Gramercy-Park's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Lackey has been terrible but what is the motivation behind comparing to other busts?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

I think ownership requested the comparison so they can make a decision about Theo.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

I feel really bad for the team that may have signed a worse pitcher! There cannot be a worse signing, EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, Lackey has been terrible but what is the motivation behind comparing to other busts?
    Posted by BeaconHill19[/QUOTE]

well. i wouldn't compare him to dolly parton's bust; although slackey is a bube, he's not in PARTON'S class.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Lackeys season last year was about the same as he has pitched in the past.....ERA was higher, but pitching in the EAST as opposed to the West will do that to you, when so many of your games are against the Rays and yanks as opposed to the A's and Mariners, but he had 14 wins, a number I think he had only exceeded once with the Angels. It is a horrible free agent signing if Theo expected more than that for what he paid. if he expected him to be an ace/#1, then he was delusional, but if he paid him the huge money because that was what the Market called for and he thought he was getting a #3 or #4 starter for it....then he got what he signed for. This year of course has been historically bad, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that there were reason for that besides lack of ability, Remember Beckett had a historically bad year last year. Lets judge the signing after we have some more data....because he isnt going anywhere after this year with that contract.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Dolly's left or right?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

It seems that Theo and free agent just do not mix!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from illinoisredsox. Show illinoisredsox's posts

The incredible thing about Lackey's season is that he's actually managed to get 12 wins.  If Beckett had half of Lackey's run support, he might be pushing Verlander in that category and certainly would be right with Sabathia.

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

This is a tough one because Lackey's ERA is much worse but Zito makes more money.  But at least Zito has an injury.  At least people can point to his ankle and say, "if only".  Lackey has no physical excuse.  He's terrible.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

In Response to Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever:
    [QUOTE]I call out to forum members to utilize your knowledge and determine if Lackey, is the worst free agent pitcher signing ever. Yes, he has three years left, but this season with his 6.49 ERA and 1.63 WHIP is probably the worst of any free agent signing ever. Other names that come to mind include: 1. Barry Zito - His worst ERA with the Giants is 5.15, not even close to Lackey's 6.49. 2. Mike Hampton - His ERA was similar with the Rockies but he was pitching in Coors Field at a time when steroid use was rampant. He want to pitch some quality seasons with the Braves afterwards. 3. Carlos Silva - Seattle signed him to a 4-year $48M deal and he had a 6.46 ERA one of the years. They were able to dump him to the Cubs for Milton Bradley, another bustout. 4. Carl Pavano, NYY - His years with New York were not successful, but his ERA never came close to Lackey's. Any other names out there?
    Posted by ADG[/QUOTE]John Smoltz,Brad Penny, Mendoza,Jenks,Gagme,Albers need I go on?But you are correct in terms of dollars and cents Lackey is right there near the top of all time flops.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

What about AJ Burkett of the Yankees, Denny Neagle, P5 years, $51 million from the Rockies in 2001, Chan Ho Park, P5 years, $65 million from the Rangers in 2002, Kevin Brown, P7 years, $105 million in 1998 from the Dodgers, Kenny Rogers: He just never seemed to fit in New York. In 1995 the Yankees signed Rogers to a 4 year/ $20 million deal, Kevin Millwood: 5 Years, $60 Million (Texas), Darren Dreifort: 5 Years, $55 Million (Dodgers),Jason Schmidt: 3 Years, $47 Million (Dodgers),  Roger Clemens: 1 Year, $28 Million (Yankees), etc

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]It seems that Theo and free agent just do not mix!
    Posted by jozee76[/QUOTE]

You'd think after missing so wildly in the past he would proceed with a little more caution. 

I've been very patient on Lackey, haven't jumped on the bashing, waited for him to come around but it looks to be getting worse not better.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : Good call......well... David Ortiz...that turned out ok....but everything else you are right on..well...I guess the draft picks are an exception..Pedroia, Papelbon, Ellsbury, Buchholz, Lester...but other than those things...poo-poo...well...there is always Schilling...I guess he did alright...but other than that....well...forgot about Mueller and Millar...rings and a batting title...Millar was going to Japan...but other than those things...poo-poo....well...there is always Keith Foulke..remember him? Glad Theo signed him...he didn't turn into poo-poo...but other than the guys I mentioned you are right..poo-poo...well Dave Roberts wasn't bad...I recall him doing something once Theo traded for him...but other than him and the others it is straight poo-poo..you are so correct  Almost forgot...the 2 rings in 7 years don't look too poo-poo..but not really a big deal..it is because of the payroll...The Phillies, Yankees etc each have at least two this decade...oh wait...they don't...poo-poo?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

1 1/2 rings.  Manny, Pedro, Lowe, Varitek, Damon, Nixon, Wakefield, etc...   that is 3/5 of the rotation and 4/9 of the starting line-up.  Nomar  too.  Helped on the field and then landed them Ocab.  Speaking of Ocab, can't wait to see who will start at SS next year.  You just never know....

I think all the signings, Schill aside, you mentioned were low risk types, which any impartial observer would have to say Theo has a very good track record with.  Not as good in recent years but great in his early years.  The problem is he gives out huge contracts to guys who end up being unplayable.  These types of moves would sink most franchises but Theo has the luxury of Henry's checkbook. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from traven. Show traven's posts

There has not been much to justify the signing of Lackey.  I think part of it is having to pitch in the tough AL East.  Cliff Lee was good in the AL but he never had to pitch against the AL East much - but he is lights out in the NL.  Doc Holiday was good for the Jays but he never put up numbers like he has since going to Philadelphia.  If you are good in the AL East - you will be great anywhere else.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

Gagne was a trade.

Smoltz, Brad Penny, Jenks, and Miller were reclamation projects so the expectations were low.  And Jenks had the decency to go on the DL and not force the team to use him.  Albers hasn't been bad - he went through a rough patch, but overall he's been decent. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]Gagne was a trade. Smoltz, Brad Penny, Jenks, and Miller were reclamation projects so the expectations were low.  And Jenks had the decency to go on the DL and not force the team to use him.  Albers hasn't been bad - he went through a rough patch, but overall he's been decent. 
    Posted by DirtyWaterLover[/QUOTE]

Reclamation projects shouldn't cost 12 million and be counted on to play a key role in the bullpen.  I recognize that Jenks has had health issues but it is not exactly a shocking development.  Theo gets paid to have foresight.

I don't remember what Smoltz cost but it wasn't exactly cheap either.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thesemenarecowards. Show Thesemenarecowards's posts

[QUOTE]What about AJ Burkett of the Yankees,  Denny Neagle, P — 5 years, $51 million from the Rockies in 2001, Chan Ho Park, P — 5 years, $65 million from the Rangers in 2002, Kevin Brown, P — 7 years, $105 million in 1998 from the Dodgers,  Kenny Rogers:  He just never seemed to fit in New York. In 1995 the Yankees signed Rogers to a 4 year/ $20 million deal,  Kevin Millwood: 5 Years, $60 Million (Texas), Darren Dreifort: 5 Years, $55 Million (Dodgers),Jason Schmidt: 3 Years, $47 Million (Dodgers),  Roger Clemens: 1 Year, $28 Million (Yankees), etc
    Posted by GoUconn13[/QUOTE]

Schmidt was a disaster!!!

What about Johan?  Is that guy still alive?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from sadsax. Show sadsax's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : Good call......well... David Ortiz...that turned out ok....but everything else you are right on..well...I guess the draft picks are an exception..Pedroia, Papelbon, Ellsbury, Buchholz, Lester...but other than those things...poo-poo...well...there is always Schilling...I guess he did alright...but other than that....well...forgot about Mueller and Millar...rings and a batting title...Millar was going to Japan...but other than those things...poo-poo....well...there is always Keith Foulke..remember him? Glad Theo signed him...he didn't turn into poo-poo...but other than the guys I mentioned you are right..poo-poo...well Dave Roberts wasn't bad...I recall him doing something once Theo traded for him...but other than him and the others it is straight poo-poo..you are so correct  Almost forgot...the 2 rings in 7 years don't look too poo-poo..but not really a big deal..it is because of the payroll...The Phillies, Yankees etc each have at least two this decade...oh wait...they don't...poo-poo?
    Posted by thepeskypole6[/QUOTE]

warning theo worshippers:
    the tons of poo-poo that theo has brought to the SOX has been sticking to theo's shoes. theo boot-lickers, like peskypole above, already know this and appear to like the flavor.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts