Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BeaconHill19. Show BeaconHill19's posts

Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever

In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever:
    In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : Henry is a sharp guy, he has surrounded himslef with knowledgable guys and built a great infrastructure in the interest of increasing shareholder value...the guy behind the curtain is Luccino he is the chief archetect of the baseball operation team...Epstein is responsible for ensuring that the baseball operations teams for the lower minor leagues to the Majors all perform their job functions with in budgeted guidelines... hey guy as much as we all like to afix blame for why we haven't won a ws since 2007 squarely on Epstein and Francona shoulders...Which is fair, right and just casue they get paid to build roster capable of winning WS something they've done twice. The only other GM with more than 1 is Cashman...the only other manager with more than one is Larussa with two different teams... So while I agree that Epstein has had huis share of failures I disagree thay he has failed...Lackey has been a bust this year...not eve he would argue that. I am not ready to summarily dismiss him yet...the same with Crawford... Personally I'd like to see this team healthy and all of the hulabalu with the recent colaspe would be moot...We've yet to enter the post season healthy since 2007 and as a result we've missed the playoffs once and been elimanated twice...
    Posted by Beantowne

Voice of reason once more.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : And just how good would Masterson look in the rotation right now, compared to the garbage that gets tossed out there not named Beckett or Lester?
    Posted by sml1210

He'd look great...so too would Nick Hagadone...

spilt milk....

frankly a heathly Buccholz all year and we're not even having this conversation...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxu571. Show redsoxu571's posts

To those of you who honestly think John Lackey is the worst FA pitcher signing ever...you need to rethink how much you know baseball.

He's been a bad signing so far, and it could get worse...but there is NO WAY he can reach the point of some of the far worse FA busts ever.

Lackey was brought in to be a very good pitcher, a solid #2 level guy who could eat innings. In two years, he's produced a below average (but still decent...such a season would have been very helpful this year) year and a terrible, terrible year.

Meanwhile, Barry Zito was signed, for more money, for a longer contract, to be an ace...and he's bounced between being a very mediocre NL West pitcher (at best) to terrible to at times being out of the rotation. His story is largely told, and there is virtually no chance he can make the signing look like a better one before his contract runs out.

IF Lackey continues with seasons such as this year's, he could almost match Zito as an all-time worst signing...and that's the worst case scenario. He could also rebound as a solid, even somewhat good pitcher. And if Josh Beckett taught us anything from his last two seasons, sometimes there is a confluence of factors that create an abnormally awful season...but that doesn't mean you can't rebound in a hurry. At least the Lackey signing still has some kind of upside.

And the best part is that Zito's signing isn't the worst ever...at least he was young when signed, with a track record of success. The worst pitcher signing ever was the Darren Dreifort travesty. Here was a player with only three almost-full, mediocre seasons on his track record (in the pitcher's park in LA, in the NL West) who signed for major money, and then only made 26 more (bad) starts for the rest of his career. The outcome of his contract is set in stone, and I can't envision a reasonable outcome for the rest of Lackey's Red Sox tenure that would put him anywhere near Dreifort's awfulness.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Agreed, the Dreifort contract is right up there for worst ever.  5 years, 55 million and that was back in 2001.  He only won 9 games after signing that deal.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmo14. Show cosmo14's posts

Red Sox needed Remlinger for the stretch drive

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

The thing about the Lackey signing is that back when he was signed EVERYONE thought it was a great move by the RS. This was because they now had Lester, Beckett, Lackey, Dice and Clay coming along. If you go back and look at the info on the signing back when it happened the price tag was not considered too high.

So yes it has been some what of a bust to date but that could change.

However when people say they spent too much that is in hind sight and as stated at the time it was not considered a terrible contract considering the didvidends that were supposed to be forth coming as Lackey was one of the top 3 pitchers over the 4 previous years with 50+ wins and a 3.40 ERA

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Red Sox needed Remlinger for the stretch drive
    Posted by cosmo14

Wow. My lunch just came back up. Mike Remlinger.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from donrd4. Show donrd4's posts

In Response to Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever:
    I call out to forum members to utilize your knowledge and determine if Lackey, is the worst free agent pitcher signing ever. Yes, he has three years left, but this season with his 6.49 ERA and 1.63 WHIP is probably the worst of any free agent signing ever. Other names that come to mind include: 1. Barry Zito - His worst ERA with the Giants is 5.15, not even close to Lackey's 6.49. 2. Mike Hampton - His ERA was similar with the Rockies but he was pitching in Coors Field at a time when steroid use was rampant. He want to pitch some quality seasons with the Braves afterwards. 3. Carlos Silva - Seattle signed him to a 4-year $48M deal and he had a 6.46 ERA one of the years. They were able to dump him to the Cubs for Milton Bradley, another bustout. 4. Carl Pavano, NYY - His years with New York were not successful, but his ERA never came close to Lackey's. Any other names out there?
    Posted by ADG

Matt Young

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

Two words, Kevin Brown. He's got to be up there. But in all honesty the guys who were always hurt are actually not as big a negative as Lackey. We'd be better off if he was hurt. Add to that he is a cancer for moral with his theatrics calling out the guys behind him who can actually play and i say Lackeys is worse. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from susan250. Show susan250's posts

In Response to Re: Worst Free Agent Pitcher Signing Ever : If you actullay took the time to understand the contexted of my reply. Then you'd clearly see that my reference had to do with his being called a bust, it had nothing to do with this years team nor our inabilty to replace him or fopr that matter his results this ir last year...In 2007 he won 16 games pitched ove r200 innings and with him on the roster we won a WS and the next year we were 1 game from heading back...we won a WS with him playing a key role during the season...thus If you win a WS and the player makes a contribution to the casue during their time under contract...then I find it hard to call him a bust...
    Posted by Beantowne

I definitely agree with you about Dice-K.  If he wasn't injured for most of the season, I believe that he would have been able to help this team and their pitching situation.  He probably would have been better than Weiland, Miller, Lackey, etc.  He is another overpaid Red Sox player, but did have some decent seasons with the Red Sox.   I also wish Drew would have returned for the remainder of this season.  He is a very good defensive outfielder, even if he hasn't been very good offensively this year. 

Sections
Shortcuts