Worst loss of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Worst loss of the year?

Just when things were starting to look brighter, the Sox get stomped 11-0, and John Lackey can't get out of the fifth inning. What do you think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from allencar. Show allencar's posts

Going back down!

I think that the failure to win that game last night, after Youk seemed to have won it for us, may just be the place where this team turns south. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ADG. Show ADG's posts

Re: Worst loss of the year?

There will be lots of "Worst losses of the year" when John Shellackey pitches. Also, what does an 8-8 home record tell you? Since they got home, they are 3-4 against the mediocre Mariners and Angels, but then again, the Red Sox are a mediocre team right now.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I think it's 1 (ONE) game.No need to be drama queens about it.Even a team that wins 100 games still loses 62 and it doesn't matter if they lose by 1 run or 20,it's still 1 (ONE) game. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox entered the game with a Pythagorean* record of 15-15, having outscored opponents 129-128. The Pythagorean record will be fortunate to approach the actual record of 14-17 now that the Red Sox have been outscored 139-129 on the season.

* Pythagorean winning percentage is an estimate of a team's winning percentage given their runs scored and runs allowed. Developed by Bill James, it can tell you when teams were a bit lucky or unlucky. It is calculated by 
                   (Runs Scored)^1.83
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    (Runs Scored)^1.83 +  (Runs Allowed)^1.83
    The traditional formula uses an exponent of two, but this has proven to be a little more accurate. http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/faq.shtml#pyth

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamesey271975. Show jamesey271975's posts

In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year?:
    [QUOTE]I think it's 1 (ONE) game.No need to be drama queens about it.Even a team that wins 100 games still loses 62 and it doesn't matter if they lose by 1 run or 20,it's still 1 (ONE) game. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

What about the other 17 losses out opf 31 games mate. Theyre all just ONE game, but they add up dont they. The teams playing sh1te and if they keep it up like this for another month we're done. 

Lackey, Dice K, Jenks, Wheeler, Crawford, Salty, Tek, Scuttaro, Drew. Not ecxactly promising is it.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from boredguy. Show boredguy's posts

These guys just aren't that good. Sure they are bound to play a little better sooner or later, but not good enough to claw their way out of this hole they have dug for themselves. There are too many other truly good teams out there, as any objective person watching the World Series last year would have to admit. Now that was real baseball. The Red Sox are all NESN and Boston Globe hype.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeff-the-deadhead. Show jeff-the-deadhead's posts

I don't think today was as bad as last night. They ran themselves out of the victory twice last night, once in the ninth (Cameron) and then again in extras (Scutaro) - thereby nullifying what should have been a great comeback. It seems to me that would be harder on the team than getting blown out, which happens to everyone on occasion.

Then again, getting blown out might be harder on the fans... I've gotta agree with REMJ: "the worst loss of the year is the one that eliminates the team from playoff contention."

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year? : What about the other 17 losses out opf 31 games mate. Theyre all just ONE game, but they add up dont they. The teams playing sh1te and if they keep it up like this for another month we're done.  Lackey, Dice K, Jenks, Wheeler, Crawford, Salty, Tek, Scuttaro, Drew. Not ecxactly promising is it.  
    Posted by jamesey271975[/QUOTE]

The question was asked "Is this the worst loss of the year?".The answer is no.It still counts as 1 loss whether they lose by 1 run or 20 runs.No losses are good,they all suck,but still only count as 1 game in the standings.
        I also don't see another team pulling away with the division yet.It's way to early to panic.If the Sox are 4 behind with 5 games left in the season,then it's probably time to worry.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bradsox04. Show bradsox04's posts

I agree with the general tenor of the comments above: the Red Sox are a very mnediocre team right now. As Bill Parcells says, "You are what you are."

I hope the players didn't take the pre-season hype too seriously! (But I think they did...)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Sox looked Pathetic There Pitching is going to be the Death of them this season If they don't do something quick.
     They are hitting BUT NOT SCORING Do they won't to be the Worst team in the league

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lawboy. Show lawboy's posts

MLB should take over this team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from amishrockstar. Show amishrockstar's posts

[QUOTE]the worst loss of the year is the one that eliminates the team from playoff contention.  Let's hope it doesn't happen
    Posted by REMJ[/QUOTE]

Did you say playoffs..bartender..I'll have what he's having

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmitch. Show andrewmitch's posts

Come on it's only April.  Wait, I mean only May.  Heck in just 3 short weeks it'll be June.  Perhaps still in last place and several games below .500.  There will be plenty of time left for many more worse games this year.  I am sure this team will be no-hit at least once this year, probably even in yankee stadium.  So to answer your question, no, not by a long shot..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SFBostonFan. Show SFBostonFan's posts

Re: Going back down!

In Response to Going back down!:
    [QUOTE]I think that the failure to win that game last night, after Youk seemed to have won it for us, may just be the place where this team turns south. 
    Posted by allencar[/QUOTE]

I Agree that last night's loss might be the starting point of a downturn. Especially hurtful as Yanks have lost 3 in a row to the Tigers.

Living in SF bay area I only needed stay up until 11:45 PCT to watch game. We were lucky on wild pitch to score to make it 3-2 but unlucky the errant toss hit ref as it would have gone into left field but, alas, allowed Cameron to be out at 3rd. But, and I don't mean to be a Monday morning quarterback and I realize Scutaro got the "go"  to score but then couldn't stop when it was called off. I believe there were no outs and with one run in, we'd have had men on 2nd & 3rd. It's very difficult to score from 1st on a hard hit ball(prob would have been a homer in other parks so a "Quid pro Quo" of the green monster). Many times a runner on 1st is lucky to make it to 3rd on a ball hit off the wall unless 2 outs and he's running so played perfectly off the wall, it's almost impossible to score from 1st.

So, my opinion is we should have been more conservative & been happy with runners on 2nd & 3rd with no outs & needing 1 run to tie & 2 to win.

Sour Grapes, I know, Mea Culpa !!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

Re: Going back down!

This team has lacked leadership for 2 years now. It is not the same bunch tito was able to win with in 04. He is not a leader and that has become more apparent over the last few years. He has admitted he almost passes out arguing with umps. He is a great babysitter but a horrible baseball tactician. If the game is close, look for him with his lost deer in headlights look, to make some poor decsions and lose. That trend has been exploited over the last 2 seasons. If the opposition can keep the game close Mr Francona will find a way to lose it.

In Response to Re: Going back down!:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Going back down! : I Agree that last night's loss might be the starting point of a downturn. Especially hurtful as Yanks have lost 3 in a row to the Tigers. Living in SF bay area I only needed stay up until 11:45 PCT to watch game. We were lucky on wild pitch to score to make it 3-2 but unlucky the errant toss hit ref as it would have gone into left field but, alas, allowed Cameron to be out at 3rd. But, and I don't mean to be a Monday morning quarterback and I realize Scutaro got the "go"  to score but then couldn't stop when it was called off. I believe there were no outs and with one run in, we'd have had men on 2nd & 3rd. It's very difficult to score from 1st on a hard hit ball(prob would have been a homer in other parks so a "Quid pro Quo" of the green monster). Many times a runner on 1st is lucky to make it to 3rd on a ball hit off the wall unless 2 outs and he's running so played perfectly off the wall, it's almost impossible to score from 1st. So, my opinion is we should have been more conservative & been happy with runners on 2nd & 3rd with no outs & needing 1 run to tie & 2 to win. Sour Grapes, I know, Mea Culpa !!!
    Posted by mandobello[/QUOTE]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

"This team has lacked leadership for 2 years now."

How about some words on the panel of baseball experts who voted Tito 4th place for Mgr of the Year. (4th out of 14)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from REDSOX-11. Show REDSOX-11's posts

I would like to ask you a few questions?

WHO are the experts? (names)

When did they vote? (Could not have been recently).

What year did he win Manager Of Year? 04? 07?

My guess is isn't in the top 15 with the way this team is playing!

[QUOTE]"This team has lacked leadership for 2 years now." How about some words on the panel of baseball experts who voted Tito 4th place for Mgr of the Year. (4th out of 14)
    Posted by piersall[/QUOTE]

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JJCocktails. Show JJCocktails's posts

John Lackey made 18M last year.  This year he will pull down a cool 15M+.

John Lackey gave up 233 hits last year (only 215 innings pitched).  He has given up 44 hits this year (in only 32 innings).

I challenge anyone to name me another player who, over a 1.25 year or more span, is playing worse on a fresh big contract.

This isn't a "he will get comfortable" or "he pitches better in the 2nd half" deal.  He doesn't have life on his fastball and his off speed menu is lukewarm, by big league standards. 

The worst part, friendos, is we can look forward to 3+ more years of this black hole in the rotation. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I would like to ask you a few questions? WHO are the experts? (names) When did they vote? (Could not have been recently). What year did he win Manager Of Year? 04? 07? My guess is isn't in the top 15 with the way this team is playing! In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year? :
    Posted by REDSOX-11[/QUOTE]

1. Baseball Writers Association of America. These are the men and women who are paid to follow baseball all season, day in and day out. There's about 700 of them.
    2. Last year.
    3. You do realize voting reflects ONLY the regular season, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Nice to see Boston.com getting involved.
    To me, a thrashing doesn't constitute "the worst loss of the year".
    It's just an enema.

But it can be argued that this lop-sided loss followed the worst loss of this young season.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Oh good god, they're all the worst loss of the year. Why was today's any worse than, oh, the first one to Seattle?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bjb1. Show bjb1's posts

Why, oh why, did RS management EVER consider Saltalamacchia??? % of base stealers thrown out=atrocious. Clutch hitting=atrocious, throwing to third base=atrocious (throws to wrong side of bag!)  hitting for power=non-existent.  Let's go with catching youth from the farm system and jettision this dope!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from RJClawson. Show RJClawson's posts

Yes, the worse and bodes ill.  It showed that the Angels had considerably more resiliance after the late game.  Lackey had a huge responsibility and blew it.  He was so bad that I wondered if Francona had let him stay up with the rest of the team, maybe have a few beers at 3:30 in the morning.  Other players lacked focus: Scutaro seemed to play in a daze as did Cameron and Drew.  Despite the splendid examples of guys like Pedroia and Youkilis grinding it out daily, focused on each game every moment, some of these players look like they're just hanging around waiting for their next day off.
    Too many opportunities go down the drain: base-running gaffes, pop ups dropping between fielders, casual throws, and called strikeouts.  These are signs of inattentive players.   This isn't the team we expected.  If they don't wake up, they'll be lucky to maintain .500 baseball, which still remains out of reach.  The Minnesota series will test them as much as the L.A. series, never mind the bottom dwellers like Baltimore and Seattle.  Woe!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from paultheeyeguy. Show paultheeyeguy's posts

hile it can be fine for some of you to point out that an 11-0 loss still counts as only one loss, the more relevant concern is the way they are losing games, including the 13 inning affair Wednesday night-Thursday morning.  "Feed your face Francona (Francoma)" so badly mismanaged the extra-inning game.  Taking out A-Gon?  Heaven help us all!  Cameron trying to advance to third on a ball hit right in front of him (a cardinal sin in base running fundamentals).  Those times when it is so appropriate to bunt, either to advance the runners or to surprise the other team and become a base runner.  How about once in a while being ordered to actually swing at the first pitch.  So often, with Pedroia or Youch, the first pitch is the most hittable, or the only hittable pitch, of their at bat.  Don't you also notice how rarely "Feed your face Francoma" does any "in game" managing?  He never manages with the thought of "manufacturing" a run.  Or instructing the guys to choke up on the bat and attempt to punch a ball through the infield or slap the ball where they ain't.  Instead, he just wants the bomb.  The game has passed him by.  Madigan messes up swings.  Young seems to create bad habits in the pitchers-Clay falls off the mound towards first base, Shellackey has lost his command and his confidence.

Our guys may only be three games under 500, but they are a team in trouble.  Brad Mills was the brains behind Feed Your Face Francoma.  Right now it isn't players who need to be cut.

Sections
Shortcuts