Worst loss of the year?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dwdad. Show dwdad's posts

Re: Worst loss of the year?

Realistically, were the season to restart today, Boston would finish no better than third in their division.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year?:
    [QUOTE]Realistically, were the season to restart today, Boston would finish no better than third in their division.
    Posted by dwdad[/QUOTE]

Realistically, the season is over a month old.
    If the season re-started today, everybody would be in the same place.
    Realistically, this was one game today. Period.

Posters are reacting like it's a personal affront - to be thrashed.
    Stop crying and move on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yawhause. Show yawhause's posts

The almost 8 hour stinker was worse than this one...it cut the momentum and was, to me, the nail in the coffin.  I fully expected a debacle yesterday and more to come.  Sorry to say - it's ovah - confidence lost, no direction, the "dream team" turned into a long nightmare until Oct.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harness. Show harness's posts

Now I know why Jessey left...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

I can name one.  He is playing with one of the largest pitching contracts in all of baseball.  He has been a complete bust his first two years and he didnt even get on the 2010 WS SF Giants roster.  His name....Herman....Barry Zito.  Thats rigth the Giants paid him the most at his signing and he did not even help them with one pitch of a World Series that they went on to win because of amazing pitiching.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxvsGiants. Show RedSoxvsGiants's posts

I can name one.  He is playing with one of the largest pitching contracts in all of baseball.  He has been a complete bust his first two years and he didnt even get on the 2010 WS SF Giants roster.  His name....Herman....Barry Zito.  Thats rigth the Giants paid him the most at his signing and he did not even help them with one pitch of a World Series that they went on to win because of amazing pitiching.In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year?:
    [QUOTE]John Lackey made 18M last year.  This year he will pull down a cool 15M+. John Lackey gave up 233 hits last year (only 215 innings pitched).  He has given up 44 hits this year (in only 32 innings). I challenge anyone to name me another player who, over a 1.25 year or more span, is playing worse on a fresh big contract. This isn't a "he will get comfortable" or "he pitches better in the 2nd half" deal.  He doesn't have life on his fastball and his off speed menu is lukewarm, by big league standards.  The worst part, friendos, is we can look forward to 3+ more years of this black hole in the rotation. 
    Posted by JJCocktails[/QUOTE]

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from expitch. Show expitch's posts

[QUOTE]Yes, the worse and bodes ill.  It showed that the Angels had considerably more resiliance after the late game.  Lackey had a huge responsibility and blew it.  He was so bad that I wondered if Francona had let him stay up with the rest of the team, maybe have a few beers at 3:30 in the morning.  Other players lacked focus: Scutaro seemed to play in a daze as did Cameron and Drew.  Despite the splendid examples of guys like Pedroia and Youkilis grinding it out daily, focused on each game every moment, some of these players look like they're just hanging around waiting for their next day off. Too many opportunities go down the drain: base-running gaffes, pop ups dropping between fielders, casual throws, and called strikeouts.  These are signs of inattentive players.   This isn't the team we expected.  If they don't wake up, they'll be lucky to maintain .500 baseball, which still remains out of reach.  The Minnesota series will test them as much as the L.A. series, never mind the bottom dwellers like Baltimore and Seattle.  Woe!
    Posted by RJClawson[/QUOTE]
    I agree that the examples you cite are signs of inattention and lack of focus.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from WilcyMoore. Show WilcyMoore's posts

When a team is playing poorly, they are typically not as bad as they appear to be and I believe that's true of the 2011 Red Sox 1/5th of the way into the season.  That being said the list of failures is growing incrementally with each game.  Among position players, J.D. Drew came in like a lamb and appears intent on going out like one in his final year.  He has been and continues to be both frustrating and disappointing.  John Lackey cannot and has not pitched effectively at Fenway Park and there is absolutely no sign that will change over the next two plus seasons.  Marco Scutaro is who we thought he was, a utility player, who took full advantage of his last opportunity to get an everyday job.  Good old Mike Old Cameron is old mediocre Mike Cameron as the highest paid utility OF in baseball.  Salty is neither sweet nor savory.  His play leaves a bitter taste in one's mouth.  The bullpen has once again turned into a revolving door e with Wheeler, Jenks and Okajima pitching live batting practice, Bard having uncharacteristic ups and downs, Papelbon (show me the money) doing fine and Albers being the one guy among the middle relievers that Francona "trusts."  Peanuts Lowrie has been a shining star as has the "ace" of the staff, Jon Lester.  Have to give Carl Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez at least another 50 games or so to see exactly who and what they are and "might be" going forward.  Buchholz' stock has declined from last year while Beckett's has gone up and Dice K continues to be an enigmatic "wild card."  A baseball season always has elements of good, bad and ugly with yesterday obviously falling into the latter category.  The impressive streak of quality starts is becoming more and more a distant memory.  So far that has been as good as it gets, but the early season sweeps by Texas and Cleveland are likely still the worst losses of the year.  Splitting a 4 game series with the Angels is hardly the end of the world as we know it. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1861. Show 1861's posts

I've come around to the opinion that Lacky was not a cost very good nor cost effective signing, $17M for these numbers over 2 years?  This guy performs like Lugo, only on the mond.Yell   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

It was Wednesday night the loss in extra inning. I could actually accept yesterdays loss if they had won that game which they should have. That was the manager and 3rd base coach having Cameron run and Scutturo trying to score. Then letting Varitek hit against a guy who throws 100 MPH. He looked so bad in striking out it was sad. Tito manages too much and does not want to hurt his players feelings. Mike Cameron is the softest hitter I have seen for a guy his size. Still cannot believe they were thinking about replacing Jason Bay's power with him !

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcurrent. Show edcurrent's posts

[QUOTE]John Lackey made 18M last year.  This year he will pull down a cool 15M+. John Lackey gave up 233 hits last year (only 215 innings pitched).  He has given up 44 hits this year (in only 32 innings). I challenge anyone to name me another player who, over a 1.25 year or more span, is playing worse on a fresh big contract. This isn't a "he will get comfortable" or "he pitches better in the 2nd half" deal.  He doesn't have life on his fastball and his off speed menu is lukewarm, by big league standards.  The worst part, friendos, is we can look forward to 3+ more years of this black hole in the rotation. 
    Posted by JJCocktails[/QUOTE]

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from edcurrent. Show edcurrent's posts

Lacky lacks something, perhaps pitching ability, etc......

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rafkaf. Show rafkaf's posts

[QUOTE]I think it's 1 (ONE) game.No need to be drama queens about it.Even a team that wins 100 games still loses 62 and it doesn't matter if they lose by 1 run or 20,it's still 1 (ONE) game. 
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rafkaf. Show rafkaf's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year? : 1. Baseball Writers Association of America. These are the men and women who are paid to follow baseball all season, day in and day out. There's about 700 of them. 2. Last year. 3. You do realize voting reflects ONLY the regular season, right?
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rafkaf. Show rafkaf's posts

Let's all wake up. The season is just about 20% over ane the Sox are not even at 500. The most overated team ever. No idendity. The lineup is always changing, get a lineup and stick with it.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from YAZZER. Show YAZZER's posts

the only light in this dismal tunnel would be the removal of CONA  as manager;
    more light could be provided if THEO was removed also.
    as far as worst loss of the year; let's see SLACKEY'S next start. he's capable of topping this one.
    if SLACKEY'S signing and CRAWFORD'S signing don't end THEO'S reign in BOSTON, i don't know what will.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

the only light i see in this dismal tunnel would be the firing of TITO(terrible field manager). more light could be provided with the removal of THEO(terrible GM).
     if the SLACKEY and CRAWFORD signings don't get the INEPT one fired, i don't know what will.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from onintu. Show onintu's posts

Shellackey ! that's hilarious and truly one of the best, most aptly put monickers we can give this guy. He is the most ineffective,inefficient, and inept pitchers that they can trot out there- look at the guy's body language !! Just looks as though there's something else going on with him and the game got in the way of whatever it is. Oh and thanks for pointing out that it wasn't Salty's fault. The fact that he is taking up a roster spot for the next 4 years is outrageous. The offense made Joel Pineira look like Cy Young. It ain't happening,folks.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

In Response to www.boston.com/community/forums.html?plckForumPage=ForumDiscussion&plckDiscussionId=Cat%3aSportsForum%3a81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion%3a17e06d65-a2f9-417e-9875-1fed623cab80&plckFindPostKey=Cat:SportsForum:81df60f3-70ee-4ca3-9336-8cf2c0a8301aDiscussion:17e06d65-a2f9-417e-9875-1fed623cab80Post:df00728f-684d-4493-be10-c277b6a0b8da">Re: Worst loss of the year?:
    I would like to ask you a few questions? WHO are the experts? (names) When did they vote? (Could not have been recently). What year did he win Manager Of Year? 04? 07? My guess is isn't in the top 15 with the way this team is playing! In Response to Re: Worst loss of the year? :
    Posted by REDSOX-11

1. Baseball Writers Association of America. These are the men and women who are paid to follow baseball all season, day in and day out. There's about 700 of them.
    2. Last year.
    3. You do realize voting reflects ONLY the regular season, right?

Thanks for answering the question directed to me Lloyd, I appreciate it, as I never saw the question, having put this bird on ignore.  I just wanted to enlighten her that her opinion of Tito wasn't shared by the knowledge base in the baseball community.  Although Tito wasn't selected Mgr. of the year, he's recognized as one of the better. The vote is taken at the end of the season, not in April or May.  We shouldn't have to bring it to this board; google it, the whole scenario is out there, votes included.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Francona is a good manager but not in a close game. He is way too much of a players friend than Manager, letting Varitek hit against a guy who throws 100 MPH was rediculous as well as his allegence to Mike Cameron who is way too soft a hitter/

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT YOU CAN'T TRUST
    JOHN LACKEY ANY MORE. MAYBE BACK IN 2002,
    YOU COULD, BUT NO MORE. HE HAS A RAG ARM.
    CREDIT THIS ONE TO FAULTY INTELLIGENCE ON
    THE PART OF THEO AND HIS "CRACK" SCOUTING
    TEAM. THE SAME GUYS WHO SIGNED DREW AND
    CAMERON, ANOTHER BUNCH OF STIFFS. THIS WAS
    A $60 MILLION + MISTAKE THAT REALLY WILL HURT
    THE TEAM'S CHANCES OF GETTING EVEN A WILD
    CARD. I WISH WE COULD DFA HIM, BUT WE CAN'T
    AND HE WILL STILL PICK UP THAT HEFTY CHECK
    WHILST LOSING GAME AFTER GAME.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

Wake is now number three in the starting rotation, maybe challenging Bucholz for number two. A week ago it looked like Beckett and Dice-K were back to their best and even Lackey had a fairly good start under his belt. That was then; this is now. The Red Sox need to put together a ten or twelve game win streak; lose one for the sake of the law of averages, and win ten or twelve more, if they are serious, which, of course, they are not.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from byebyeepstein. Show byebyeepstein's posts

FRANCONA is a great PR guy. never confuse that with field managing.
    one of the worst field managers i've ever seen. sometimes a team has enough talent to override the shortcomings of a manager. the SOX have been doing that since CONA'S arrival. it appears that's not happening this year.
    GOOD-BYE TERRY/TITO/'CONA.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

Worst loss of the Year ?  Nope, all it means is that the Angels had Lackey's number yesterday and more importantly it is one more game that the Red Sox will need to make up the rest of the season.  If you look at the schedule backward and factor in the Red Sox current record at 14-17 after 31 games.  That leaves 131 games left in the season and if you figure that to win the AL East your going to need 95 wins, that means the Red Sox would need to go 78-53 the Rest of the way, playing at a .600 clip. .  It is quite do-able, but to quote Yogi Berra," its getting late early".
    They can't continue to lull beneath the .500 mark.  It has been done(' '05 Yankees,)
    they went on to win 95 games. In other years, the '03 Marlins won the World Series after a horrific start into May(but "only" won 91 games) and the '07 Rockies also had a rough beginning but righted the ship to win 91.  Every game matters, and while yesterdays loss was bad (for Red Sox fan, I was happy), it not really as bad as it looks or as dire as it seems( Yet).

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Alibiike. Show Alibiike's posts

Bottom line is the Sox are playing like a last place team. There is too much talent on this team for that to be the case so the blame falls squarely on the shoulders of the manager.
    Francona is not able to get the most from his players and is still managing for the 3 run HR, and still trying to please everyone instead of putting the best on the field day in and day out.
    It's time for new blood.

Sections
Shortcuts