Would anybody want Derek Lowe on a make good contract?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxhero. Show bosoxhero's posts

Would anybody want Derek Lowe on a make good contract?

I was looking at MLB TRADERUMORS.com.It Said he wants to find a place to start again.Would the Sox give him a shot?He could be the fifth starter behind Lester,Buchholtz,Lackey,and Dempster.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: Would anybody want Derek Lowe on a make good contract?

I'd sign him up to a minor league deal if he'd take it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

I hope we can find room for him because as soon as we re-aquire Masteron our rotaion should be the best in baseball.

Merry Christmas

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

What about Doubront?

And tell me you were kidding about Masterson Burr...Please.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnchiladaT. Show EnchiladaT's posts

lol.... as much as some might hope Derek Lowe signs and becomes the 5th starter..... The pitching staff is set!

What we do now is see how Lester, Elles, Bailey are doing at all*star break... if the team is out of contention we trade players like that if it can finally bring us the ever-needed Ace. 

Enjoy the holliday, I respectfully take 24 hours off from the forum now.

Merry Christmas!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

lol.... as much as some might hope Derek Lowe signs and becomes the 5th starter..... The pitching staff is set!

What we do now is see how Lester, Elles, Bailey are doing at all*star break... if the team is out of contention we trade players like that if it can finally bring us the ever-needed Ace. 

Merry Christmas!

[/QUOTE]

Happy Holidays Burr

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In response to EnchiladaT's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Merry Christmas!

[/QUOTE]

Merry Christmas B.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

If Lowe would take a ML deal, I might bite. But I think he would be better out of the pen and could get a job quicker that way.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

In response to southpaw777's comment:
    [QUOTE]

If Lowe would take a ML deal, I might bite. But I think he would be better out of the pen and could get a job quicker that way.

[/QUOTE]

I concur...I think he's now in a place where if wants to continue to play he's going to have to make a team in the spring and that means signing a ML contract and then showcasing yourself in spring training and then if you can't make a team. Head to AAA and keep yourself relevent (see Millwood)....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xdrive. Show xdrive's posts

In response to bosoxhero's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I was looking at MLB TRADERUMORS.com.It Said he wants to find a place to start again.Would the Sox give him a shot?He could be the fifth starter behind Lester,Buchholtz,Lackey,and Dempster.

[/QUOTE]

Sure, why not I think he still can pitch

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Probably not a lot of harm stashing him in the minors, but if we needed a spot start, and our choices were Morales, Aceves, Tazawa, DLR, Webster, and Lowe, my guess is that Lowe would be my #11.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

The only way that I would sign Lowe is if he wanted to return to the bull pen!  I would then sign him in a heart beat.  Lowe has a rubber arm and would be excellent in middle relief.  But if he isists on being a starter, then NO!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

Our bullpen seems to be set. 

As for another starter, I prefer that the Red Sox go after Marcum. 

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

I guess that I had not thought that Lowe would fall into this situation (that of basically having to try out for a major league team, but I have always been a fan of signing some older guys to minor league contracts and let them show if they still have anything left in spring training.   If you sign five and one makes a decent contribution you should sign 6-8 similar guys in the next off season hoping that maybe two lend a hand in the following season.

This idea is especially a good idea for a team like the Red Sox who seem to have a philosophy of keeping their younger players and pitchers playing full time in the minors for longer periods of time than do some other teams.  A guy like Lowe could perhaps fill a spot on the major league roster while waiting for a De La Rosa or Webster, etc to gather some more innings at Pawtucket.

Lowe is a little older than most guys in his situation, but he seemed to be healthy at the end of last season while with the Yankees and has been pretty healthy for his entire career.

There should be no reason not to offer him a minor league contract if he cannot get a major league contract soon as all such guys are low risk and possible high reward guys.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

oh  yes on a minor league contract  but yes for sure  i  think he can find  his old stuff  under farrel the guy had an awsome sinker ball  when  he got a feel for it so i hope so

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from slaaonta71. Show slaaonta71's posts

i,d hate for that to  insult him though because he was so cluch in that 04 world seris