Would anyone be open to the ideal of signing both Peavy and Bourn?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mvpyouk20. Show mvpyouk20's posts

Would anyone be open to the ideal of signing both Peavy and Bourn?

I think both these players could be gotten for one or two years deals with very little money spent on either. The ideal of Bourn, would mean that Ellsbury could be traded for another position. Bourn could be had for maybe a 2 yr or 3 yr deal at worst perhaps. Someone like him I can't see asking for more then 10 mill or so. With Peavy, I could see a one year deal at 10-12 mill a year. I doubt he would sign on for two years at that rate.

I think both players would be great assests to this team. Peavy may not be a world beater but he is consistent and with a team behind that can hit, you might be able to pencil him in for 12 plus wins. Not a bad 3rd starter and better then what Lackey or Doubront bring to the table.

Bourn imo, is another nice player. Good leadoff player with speed, that could easily steal 40 plus times and with a good hittign team like the Red Sox, could easily see his numbers sky rocket. I think management has to look at players like these two until our young players are ready to move up.

For the record, I think signing Grenike, Hamilton and Swisher would be a waste of money. I also would like to see Lavranway given a shot at 1b. Worth a shot.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Re: Would anyone be open to the ideal of signing both Peavy and Bourn?

I could see this happening, but would prefer we go after younger players.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasko2248. Show jasko2248's posts

In response to mvpyouk20's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think both these players could be gotten for one or two years deals with very little money spent on either. The ideal of Bourn, would mean that Ellsbury could be traded for another position. Bourn could be had for maybe a 2 yr or 3 yr deal at worst perhaps. Someone like him I can't see asking for more then 10 mill or so. With Peavy, I could see a one year deal at 10-12 mill a year. I doubt he would sign on for two years at that rate.

I think both players would be great assests to this team. Peavy may not be a world beater but he is consistent and with a team behind that can hit, you might be able to pencil him in for 12 plus wins. Not a bad 3rd starter and better then what Lackey or Doubront bring to the table.

Bourn imo, is another nice player. Good leadoff player with speed, that could easily steal 40 plus times and with a good hittign team like the Red Sox, could easily see his numbers sky rocket. I think management has to look at players like these two until our young players are ready to move up.

For the record, I think signing Grenike, Hamilton and Swisher would be a waste of money. I also would like to see Lavranway given a shot at 1b. Worth a shot.

[/QUOTE]

Peavy will likely be considered, but think 3yrs. - 45 million as a more realistic starting point.  He will have plenty of suitors.  Bourn may be an option if they move Ellsbury, but again, someone will give Bourn a much bigger deal. 

The Sox won't consider Lavarnway at first for both offensive and defensive reasons.  They will go after a more proven hitter than anyone currently in house, and they also won't settle for below average defense at first. It's considered too key of a defensive position in today's game. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

Michael Bourn has been valued at $21.9 million, $18.8 million, $18.5 million and $28.9 million the past four seasons:

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=6387&position=OF#value

In his first crack at free agency, the 30-year-old Bourn won't settle for a two- or three-year contract at only $10 million a year. With revenues from the new television contract, the bidding on free agents should be higher than in past years.

As a side note, Michael Bourn was a teammate of Carl Crawford on a Little League team coached by Bourn's father:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_lemire/08/08/Crawford.Bourn/index.html

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

Definitely think you are underestimating the value of these players...

Bourn, as you said, is a 0.285 hitter who had a career high 9 homers with 40 steal potential who bats leadoff and is in his prime. Free agents like that don't get 2 year deals. Expect 4/48M minimum.

Peavy has talent, but thats never been the question. I'd be hesitant to invest in him anything more than a year. I'd rather gamble on McCarthy for a one year deal and hope he doesn't suffer from Matt Clement syndrome.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ice-Cream. Show Ice-Cream's posts

No thank you to Peavy and Bourn. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

I like Bourn but how much is going to cost?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from poprox13. Show poprox13's posts

Peavy maybe but Bourn NO!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

The Sox are unlikely to commit long term to a CF like Bourn, and he will want a long term deal.

Peavy is a possibility....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

Bourne will get way more than that. I think someone offers him 5yrs. Peavy has all the skill but cant stay on the field. Still, I think Peavy on a short term 1-2yrs at more $$ might be a possibility for the Sox.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from raider3524. Show raider3524's posts

peavy yes...i'd take victorino to play LF...and we still have bradley to play CF..so we don't need bourn..and we could use ellsbury in a deal for SP or 1B...