Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?:
    Why these people hate Beckett so badly?  I would take Beckett over Garza at any day at any time!!!!!! Beckett is never going to be traded!!!!!!
    Posted by GoUconn13

Actually, only one person hates Beckett, but he tries to post 'trade Becektt' at least 100x a day, so it only seems like a lot.  The dude has completely snapped and is making Softy sound relatively sane.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AL34. Show AL34's posts

Garza has two more years on his contract. Doubrount is out of options so he cannot go down to minors without being exposed to waivers and he would be grabbed because he is left handed. Larrs Anderson is a good defensive first baseman who has not proven he can hit at the major league level. I still think Garza is a done deal with the Red Sox and they are waiting until the Yankees are out of pitching help choices on the market. 
    They are way too cavalier about this compensation issue, almost like they have already agreed and the Cubs need a lot of help.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

BUT...I still think Beckett has value to the sox and will stay with the team.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza?:
    In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza? : not everyone hates Beckett... people who love Beckett: John Lackey his mom Popeye's chicken delivery man Package store delivery man ( aka Longhorn Express) His agent welcome to the club UCONN!
    Posted by georom4

You forgot to include myself along other people on this board!!!  Guess you along with a very few people are the only ones hate Beckett!!!

I have never seen a Red Sox fan like yourself have so much hatres on most current Red Sox players and a manager.  Guess you sounded like a Terrorist.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tomnev. Show tomnev's posts

Way too much for Garza....since, the Cubs owe us Comp for Theo, then maybe Anderson, Doubront and Theo for Garza would work. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

It wouldn't be enough, not given what Latos and Gio hauled in.  Latos is probably slightly better than Garza, and cheaper by a year, but similar.  Cincy gave up a prospect that looks like he'll be a closer someday, a prospect ranked as high as #35, blocked by Votto, a catcher likely to be ranked in the top-30 this year, and an SP that could be a #3.

I like Lars and Doubront for depth, and maybe even Doubront as the long guy in the BP, but they don't rank much higher than throw-ins, and Renaudo will barely crack the top-100 this year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza? : CTRED, do you really think once hot stove is over I will be rooting against Beckett if he stays???? i disliked francona as a manager much more than beckett as a player...josh is excellent at times...but his shelf life is up...i know it, he knows it, bobby v knows it, ben im betting knows it, but BDC is always a day late and a buck fifty short...
    Posted by georom4

I'm sure you will.  But there are posters in here that would love to trade for someoen, or to trade someone away.  For example, I always thought we should trade away Lowrie.  The difference here is that I only mentioned it when appropriate.  I've probably mentioned it 15-20 times in two years.

You post 'trade Beckett' 100x a day.  And you post it in every thread you are on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

joey, it is the hot stove season..trades is about it...i guess i could always go to baseball reference.com and post some stats for you to mull over....

but i dont think that really would address what happened last year...so excuse me if i make one more suggestion...

trade Beckett for anyone and save at least 8-10 million a year....

but I think the Garza trade would be the best option for all...

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I think the Sox are set right now....If anything I can see Doubront competing for the 5th spot or takin gover a bullpen spot.  Lar Anderson is and should be used in a trade, he is relatively young and should be able to hit at the MLB level, his power hasn't shown yet but I'm sure some team will take a chance on him.  Because of his absence of power his stock has slipped, but I believe he does have some trade value.

If he isn't part of a trade this offseason expect him gone by July.  Doubront is a lefty that is likely MLB ready at some level to contribute, he will be useful to the Sox bullpen.  I expect Ranuado to be at least a #3 guy in a couple years (which is what Garza virtually already is)

So considering they already took some of our staff away I think this is entirely way to much for Garza. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

BUT...I still think Beckett has value to the sox and will stay with the team.
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Like I try to tell people, if it were simply stats on paper, say in a rotisserie league, I'd have no problem trading Beckett.

But this is real life.

Beckett faced the NYY 5x last year, and we beat them in all 5 games.  He faced TB 3x and we beat them all 3x.

It's like having a pitcher that can face down the EE is meaningless to these guys.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from georom4. Show georom4's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza? : Like I try to tell people, if it were simply stats on paper, say in a rotisserie league, I'd have no problem trading Beckett. But this is real life. Beckett faced the NYY 5x last year, and we beat them in all 5 games.  He faced TB 3x and we beat them all 3x. It's like having a pitcher that can face down the EE is meaningless to these guys.
    Posted by Joebreidey

that is a very good point...watching him beat CC multiple times was one of the highlights of the season....but I would still trade him for Garza...because that guy owned us worse than Beckett owns NYY...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from southpaw777. Show southpaw777's posts

I'm an advocate for trading Kalish to the Cubbies in exchange for Garza. The only thing theo hasn't done for the advancement of Kalish is ask him to marry him. After waiting for 4 years Kalish has done nothing except get one injury after another. In any case he will not beat out Sweeney for the RF job,so trade him to his Uncle Theo and get a serviceable pitcher in return. Also for those who are still waiting for the Kalish train too arrive forget it he'll be passed organizationally by Brentz after this season and Hazelbaker and Bradley are in line for the CF job after Ellsbury takes the money and runs!
    Posted by sportsbozo1

sounds about right..Brentz is projecting to be a really good ML OF'r..after starting with portland this year, BB could be in AAA by seasons end if he keeps proving he can be as successful as he did in A ball..Its not unthinkable..He is 23 and was drafted out of college..Not sure but I see hazelbaker as a 4th OF type with a ton of speed...late inning replacement type..JB and/or Brandon Jacobs could be knockin on the door come 2014..Theres no shortage of RH hitting position players in the system..Only Bradley, Kalish and Cecchini are LHB in the top 20..Swihart being a SH...Need more pitching down there..Unless Pimentel and Britton can turn things around..I like what BC is doing. hes been here for 12 years, starting in 98 I think, as a scout..He knows the system and I think will do a much better job than Theo did financially and evealuating players, both in the draft an through FA.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

What would iggy, lars, dubront, bowden, even renauldo bring us?  We really need a cheap, durable 4th or 5th starter.  I am willing to trade all of these guys.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoUconn13. Show GoUconn13's posts

joey, it is the hot stove season..trades is about it...i guess i could always go to baseball reference.com and post some stats for you to mull over.... but i dont think that really would address what happened last year...so excuse me if i make one more suggestion... trade Beckett for anyone and save at least 8-10 million a year.... but I think the Garza trade would be the best option for all...
    Posted by georom4

Or trade Beckett for anyone and lose approximately 13 to 15 wins along with a possible 1 to 3 post season win(s)!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

This is where the Sox need to play hard ball with Theo. I would offer a package of Doubront, Stormy, Lars, and comp. If Theo doesn't bite, which he won't, I would start the buzz of going to Selig for rulings on comp. Once the Sox bring up they want Garza Selig will probably freeze any dealing Theo wants to do with Garza and this will probably get the deal done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Trading Iggy, Lars or Bowden for a durable 4th or 5th starter makes sense, IMO.  But trading Doubront, who could be your dependable 5th as early as this season, and Ranaudo, who could be as good as your #3 guy in two or three years, that does not make as much sense to me.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Sully,
    I like your style.  "Make it so, number one."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

ADAM - that is really really overpaying. Doubront could be a 4 or 5 guy on a lot of teams right now, Raunado is a #3 guy and possibly even higher in only a few years.  Bowden could probably be a viable option in our bullpen now but could also be trade bait, Lars Anderson is trade Bait.....and Iggy still could be a star.  He was only 20 last year at AAA

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

In Response to Re: Would Ranuado, Lars Anderson and Doubront be enought to get Garza? : that is a very good point...watching him beat CC multiple times was one of the highlights of the season....but I would still trade him for Garza...because that guy owned us worse than Beckett owns NYY...
    Posted by georom4

How Garza does against has little bearing on this.  We need someone that can shut down the NYY.  Garza is 1-4 against the NYY.  And while W/L records are not a huge stat, it should be noted that he is not a career .500 pitcher, despite pitching on some pretty good MN and TB teams.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

ADAM - that is really really overpaying. Doubront could be a 4 or 5 guy on a lot of teams right now, Raunado is a #3 guy and possibly even higher in only a few years.  Bowden could probably be a viable option in our bullpen now but could also be trade bait, Lars Anderson is trade Bait.....and Iggy still could be a star.  He was only 20 last year at AAA

After this season Dice is off the books, so if Garza works out you can roll Dice's salary into resigning Garza. Plus, I believe I heard that the free agent class of 2012-13 has quite a few good starters if they have to go that route. Protect Raunado and Barnes is all I ask.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

I still think it's overpaying, I'd look to sign a back end starter...and look to 2013 free agent class.  Might not even need to look ahead to the 2012/13 FA class if Ranaudo is ready and Lackey comes back.

I also think it's to early to give up on Iggy.  He started out as being projected to have no bat but the best glove, then in 2010 he hit decent at AA and everyone got excited, in 2011 he hit poorly at AAA (at 21 years old he is VERY young for a AAA player) and he pretty much goes back to the prospect we originally thought he was and all of a sudden he is dirt....well not dirt, but you know what I mean. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

The Red Sox would be setting their sights too high if the Sox pursue Matt Garza.

A year ago the Cubs gave up two now Top 50 prospects* and three other players for three years of Garza coming off a 1.6 WAR** season.

The Cubs could expect a similar return for two years of Garza coming off a 5.0 WAR season. The Red Sox probably don't have the top prospects to make the deal work.

* MLB.com's recent Top 50 prospect list: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/

** Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs:http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3340&position=P

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

I still think it's overpaying, I'd look to sign a back end starter...and look to 2013 free agent class.  Might not even need to look ahead to the 2012/13 FA class if Ranaudo is ready and Lackey comes back. I also think it's to early to give up on Iggy.  He started out as being projected to have no bat but the best glove, then in 2010 he hit decent at AA and everyone got excited, in 2011 he hit poorly at AAA (at 21 years old he is VERY young for a AAA player) and he pretty much goes back to the prospect we originally thought he was and all of a sudden he is dirt....well not dirt, but you know what I mean. 

I'm not giving up on Iggy but the Sox have depth at SS with Xander,Iggy, and Tejada. If Iggy can be dealt to get a SP of pretty decent quality I think you have to take the chance.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sully1965. Show Sully1965's posts

The Red Sox would be setting their sights too high if the Sox pursue Matt Garza. A year ago the Cubs gave up two now Top 50 prospects* and three other players for three years of Garza coming off a 1.6 WAR** season. The Cubs could expect a similar return for two years of Garza coming off a 5.0 WAR season. The Red Sox probably don't have the top prospects to make the deal work. * MLB.com's recent Top 50 prospect list: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/prospects/watch/y2011/ ** Wins Above Replacement as reported at FanGraphs: http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=3340&position=P
    Posted by hill55

This may be true and it may not be, I am saying if that is who the Sox want then the Sox need to invoke Selig marshalling this deal prior to Garza going anywhere.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from hankwilliamsjr. Show hankwilliamsjr's posts

Trading Iggy, Lars or Bowden for a durable 4th or 5th starter makes sense, IMO. 

1. Lars and Bowden will not net a bucket of dung, much less a durable 4th or 5th starter with a sub Tim Wastefield ERA

2. Name the durable 4th or 5th starter you desire, in your opinion............................................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sections
Shortcuts